New VALIANT Comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: New VALIANT Comics

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:40:37 pm
daniellew61 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:45:29 pm
Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:26:42 pm Good points, for sure. I'll add that there never seems to be that much respect in the industry for Valiant. 'Big name' creators seem to use the Valiant paycheck as a way to unload their leftover scripts and try their experimental art styles that the Big 2 wouldn't let them get away with. It's been happening since Birthquake and VH2. It's like Valiant is so desperate to get some 'name' creators to work on the books that they let them do whatever they want.
Which big names do you mean by that? I don't think we had any huge examples of that really, at least during my time...do you mean like Cullen?
I was mostly speaking historically, I haven't read many DMG Valiant comics. But since you asked: Javier Pulido and Liam Sharp. Compare Pulido's earlier work to his super simplified, almost child-like work on Ninjak. I'm actually a fan of his work and simplified styles in general, but that was too much even for me. Compare Liam Sharp's intricately detailed linework in Green Lantern to his X-O Unconquered art that looks like Photoshop photo collage.

Art is certainly subjective, maybe to them they're doing the best work of the careers. But to my eye and for my taste, it feels like they put less effort into their Valiant work. Could just be a personal preference :?

Green Lantern

X-O
I've noticed such things too. I've always found it strange that sometimes art by the same artist seems to be less detailed at VALIANT that it is at DC and Marvel.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

yea I don't know if I would consider Pulido a big name though
That was not my favorite time either way
It's cool to see when something happens like, how we have Deniz Camp on Bloodshot and now he's getting bigger.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:52:03 pm yea I don't know if I would consider Pulido a big name though
That was not my favorite time either way
It's cool to see when something happens like, how we have Deniz Camp on Bloodshot and now he's getting bigger.
Yeah I was just looking at some of Pulido's older work and he's always drawn quite simple and cartoony. Maybe Ninjak was a little bit more simple, but his style would always be a lot different than previous Ninjak artists. It might work on the right project though. That was a bad example.
I think that's the heart of the discussion. It always seems like Valiant works better when there's more hungry up-and-coming creators than when the big names are brought in and they treat it like their 3rd string book. I'm mostly referring to the 90s.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:50:01 pm I've noticed such things too. I've always found it strange that sometimes art by the same artist seems to be less detailed at VALIANT that it is at DC and Marvel.
We're talking about you Dan Jurgens :lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:08:14 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:50:01 pm I've noticed such things too. I've always found it strange that sometimes art by the same artist seems to be less detailed at VALIANT that it is at DC and Marvel.
And many others, lol.

Then, Sean Chen goes from VALIANT to Marvel and produces the best work of his career, heh.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:26:12 pm
And many others, lol.

Then, Sean Chen goes from VALIANT to Marvel and produces the best work of his career, heh.
:lol:

Yes, many examples of great creators getting their start at Valiant. And they produced great work at Valiant before going to the Big 2 or wherever. Always loved the mix at early Valiant between 'over the hill' creators and newbies getting their first shot.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:04:20 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:26:12 pm
And many others, lol.

:lol:

Yes, many examples of great creators getting their start at Valiant. And they produced great work at Valiant before going to the Big 2 or wherever. Always loved the mix at early Valiant between 'over the hill' creators and newbies getting their first shot.
Yeah.

gynta
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by gynta »

This is from the October order book from Previews. It loods like I'll see the end of Liam Sharps X-O Manowar. Hope so.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

gynta wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:50:56 am Image
This is from the October order book from Previews. It loods like I'll see the end of Liam Sharps X-O Manowar. Hope so.
Nice.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

More like the beginning of the end (as there will be 2 more issues LOL).

What I see is....

(1) they increased the price from $3.99 to $4.99 and it looks like
(2) Unconquered #4-6 will be the final 3 floppies of this Valiant era as all other publications will be in their
(3) Prestige Format asking for $12.99 for the first 3 issues of Unconquered (meaning another plus $1 compared to 3*3.99) and
(4) $9.99 for 2 issues of Ninjak: Superkillers (again, meaning plus $1 per issue)
last not least
(5) a 25% increase on the Classic Omnibus HC

(6) $24.99 for the Book of Shadows HC feels like a bargain!
This is odd btw since there isn't a HC of Cullen Bunn's main Shadowman series yet.

in addition

(7) seems like they will drastically reduce the number of variant covers

(8) is that a Gold Cover for the Unconquered Deluxe Edition ???

(9) the comics are simply listed under Valiant as company. Not Alien. Not Fairsquare. Simply Valiant.
And it looks like Previews is still able to find and list the (new) books if you're searching for "Alien" which is good.
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:52:27 am
More like the beginning of the end.

What I see is....

(1) they increased the price from $3.99 to $4.99 and it looks like
(2) Unconquered #4-6 will be the final 3 floppies of this Valiant era as all other publications will be in their
(3) Prestige Format asking for $12.99 for the first 3 issues of Unconquered (meaning another plus $1 compared to 3*3.99) and
(4) $9.99 for 2 issues of Ninjak: Superkillers (again, meaning plus $1 per issue)
last not least
(5) a 25% increase on the Classic Omnibus HC

(6) $24.99 for the Book of Shadows HC feels like a bargain!
This is odd btw since there isn't a HC of Cullen Bunn's main Shadowman series yet.

in addition

(7) seems like they will drastically reduce the number of variant covers

(8) is that a Gold Cover for the Unconquered Deluxe Edition ???

(9) the comics are simply listed under Valiant as company. Not Alien. Not Fairsquare. Simply Valiant.
And it looks like Previews is still able to find and list the (new) books if you're searching for "Alien" which is good.
Why is this “More like the beginning of the end?” (before it even starts?). Because of the price increase? Is that, in and of itself, a death sentence for Alien Valiant?

Are most other (Marvel/DC) comics still $3.99?

Sunlight on Snow

Haha, no, it was meant as a response to the end of Liam Sharpe's XO.

Sorry, I forgot to highlight that section in the quoted post. :lol:

Sunlight on Snow

I also forgot to mention that albeit the 25% price increase for the Classic Omnibus....

....it is actually pretty cool!

The Eternal Warrior will be finally getting his first Classic Omnibus, after all these years.

Sunlight on Snow

Last not least....

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=26 ... 9430093722

It does say "Golden Foil Logo" and "NO ADS."

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:50:41 am Last not least....

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=26 ... 9430093722

It does say "Golden Foil Logo" and "NO ADS."
The prestige editions remind me of Top Cow's collected editions of Witchblade and The Darkness, each of which collected two issues of the regular series for a cover price of $4.95. They also published versions with slipcases like the ones VALIANT did for Unity.
383084270_10159635226582267_4638568755116063991_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sunlight on Snow

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:31:15 am The prestige editions remind me of Top Cow's collected editions of Witchblade and The Darkness, each of which collected two issues of the regular series for a cover price of $4.95. They also published versions with slipcases like the ones VALIANT did for Unity.
This reminds me I haven't finished the most recent Witchblade series yet.
Probably need to start reading from the beginning again.

Slipcases for multiple prestige editions would be great.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:03:37 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:31:15 am The prestige editions remind me of Top Cow's collected editions of Witchblade and The Darkness, each of which collected two issues of the regular series for a cover price of $4.95. They also published versions with slipcases like the ones VALIANT did for Unity.
This reminds me I haven't finished the most recent Witchblade series yet.
Probably need to start reading from the beginning again.

Slipcases for multiple prestige editions would be great.
Definitely.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Test
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Well that is super strange. I was trying to reply to a post in here but I keep getting an internal server error every time I tried - until I did that ‘test’ post above.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Whenever I copy and paste the response I had typed out for a new post, I get the error above. If I don’t try to paste it, my posts are coming through

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:09:39 pm Well that is super strange. I was trying to reply to a post in here but I keep getting an internal server error every time I tried - until I did that ‘test’ post above.
If the post already had 5 quotes inside it, there might be a limit on quoting something that's already quoted so many times.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:03:16 pm
grendeljd wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:09:39 pm Well that is super strange. I was trying to reply to a post in here but I keep getting an internal server error every time I tried - until I did that ‘test’ post above.
If the post already had 5 quotes inside it, there might be a limit on quoting something that's already quoted so many times.
ok thanks - I’ll try to modify I get a minute to :thumb:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

greg wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:03:16 pm
Same thing happened to me a month ago.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54366

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:42:30 pm
Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:36:38 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:42:39 pm The way I'd like to see it done is keeping the VEI iterations of the characters and continuity but infusing it with the tone and character arcs of VH 1, such as, for instance, Archer starting his journey to become a spiritual leader, something not present in either the VH 2 or VH 1 versions, and Jack having to deal with his impending death at some time in the future (if such a thing can still matter now). That sort of thing.
That would be cool.

Was there ever an explanation for why there were super powered people in VEI? I never saw one, but I also didn't read everything.
I didn't keep up with VEI as much as I'd like to, so I'm not aware of one.
I believe that The Boon served a similar, if more limited form of origin for the VEI universe that has similarities to the Seleski origin of VH1. I haven’t read those early Archer & Armstrong issues in quite some time, but to my vague recollection the 3 Anni-Padda brothers all gained their powers by unleashing its power.

I can’t recall exactly what the Boon’s origin itself was - but it was basically like an obelisk of unknown (likely alien) origin that they found. I believe that when it released a wave of energy, the blast stretched across the globe and it killed everyone in its wake - or at least as far as human civilization had expanded to in Mesopotamian times.

Armstrong & Gilad’s immortality was thus a result of absorbing the life force of everyone that died, I think… although i recall later stories created some different details about Gilad and his immortality as well. It was certainly set up to suggest that there was a form of a reset to the planet or at least to the human race at that point, but I can’t recall if it was fleshed out any further than that. Could be that this thing was also linked to triggering some people to be capable of developing “psiot” powers from then on too.

It is in the same vein as a kind of origin like the White Event for the New U anyways, and/or the Seleski/Solar origins of VH1. Even if it doesn’t cover all of the other strange variables that begin to appear in the VEI universe.

I do love the Seleski/Solar origin to VH1, it’s a really clever and fun idea. But I also don’t think that an entire universe needs an all encompassing single origin to explain anything strange within it.

The New Universe was a bit of an exception as the primary reason why anyone became “paranormal” was from the energies of the White Event itself - and everything else about that world was meant to be just like our real world. In theory anyway.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

grendeljd wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:44:26 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:42:30 pm
Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:36:38 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:42:39 pm The way I'd like to see it done is keeping the VEI iterations of the characters and continuity but infusing it with the tone and character arcs of VH 1, such as, for instance, Archer starting his journey to become a spiritual leader, something not present in either the VH 2 or VH 1 versions, and Jack having to deal with his impending death at some time in the future (if such a thing can still matter now). That sort of thing.
That would be cool.

Was there ever an explanation for why there were super powered people in VEI? I never saw one, but I also didn't read everything.
I didn't keep up with VEI as much as I'd like to, so I'm not aware of one.
I believe that The Boon served a similar, if more limited form of origin for the VEI universe that has similarities to the Seleski origin of VH1. I haven’t read those early Archer & Armstrong issues in quite some time, but to my vague recollection the 3 Anni-Padda brothers all gained their powers by unleashing its power.

I can’t recall exactly what the Boon’s origin itself was - but it was basically like an obelisk of unknown (likely alien) origin that they found. I believe that when it released a wave of energy, the blast stretched across the globe and it killed everyone in its wake - or at least as far as human civilization had expanded to in Mesopotamian times.

Armstrong & Gilad’s immortality was thus a result of absorbing the life force of everyone that died, I think… although i recall later stories created some different details about Gilad and his immortality as well. It was certainly set up to suggest that there was a form of a reset to the planet or at least to the human race at that point, but I can’t recall if it was fleshed out any further than that. Could be that this thing was also linked to triggering some people to be capable of developing “psiot” powers from then on too.

It is in the same vein as a kind of origin like the White Event for the New U anyways, and/or the Seleski/Solar origins of VH1. Even if it doesn’t cover all of the other strange variables that begin to appear in the VEI universe.

I do love the Seleski/Solar origin to VH1, it’s a really clever and fun idea. But I also don’t think that an entire universe needs an all encompassing single origin to explain anything strange within it.

The New Universe was a bit of an exception as the primary reason why anyone became “paranormal” was from the energies of the White Event itself - and everything else about that world was meant to be just like our real world. In theory anyway.
Cool. Is that from the comic with the origin of the first Geomancer that had a limited run, something like that? Her name was Anni or Padda or something like that, no?