Licensed Comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Licensed Comics

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:12:55 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:08:40 am One thing that really bugged me about the last season of Earth: Final Conflict (out of the many things that went wrong with it) was that they brought back the actor that played the real Liam Kincaid, but they never acknowledged it on screen.
That is REALLY obscure. It took a little while for it to sink in what you meant, you were talking about the character who had (supposedly?) died in the SI War and the main character called Liam stole his identity to get close to the Taelons. IMDb says this actor appeared in one episode as the original Liam Kincaid but four episodes in the season 5 character. If you are disturbed by Canadian tv shows recycling actors, then there is plenty of room for disappointment.

IMDb also says that actor is married to Tori Spelling.

Season 5 of EFC was just horrible. Howlyn and his weird obsession with Rene Palmer. There was a period of time where Alan Van Sprang kept popping up all over the tv I was watching - Reign, EFC, Star Trek Discovery, Starhunter. I think I am safe and BAM! there is his face on Being Erica! I wondered if he was following me!
Heh.

Yeah, that was what I meant. And, yeah, I get about the recycling, but I would have really liked it if they had acknowledged that he was the real Liam using a new identity. I did think it was interesting that they replaced the real-fake Liam with the real Liam.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I was watching Orphan Black over the weekend, right at the end of the fourth season. This one guy looked familiar but I could not quite place him. I looked him up on IMDb, he was Hubbel Urich on EFC.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:43:25 pm I was watching Orphan Black over the weekend, right at the end of the fourth season. This one guy looked familiar but I could not quite place him. I looked him up on IMDb, he was Hubbel Urich on EFC.
Heh.

What's really odd is that actors from Andromeda and Earth Final Conflict never really do anything. It's like their careers stalled after those shows.

Lisa Ryder, who played Bekka Valentine in Andromeda, just recently showed up on From. But, generally speaking, 99% of the cast from those shows vanished.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:06:53 pm
Chiclo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:43:25 pm I was watching Orphan Black over the weekend, right at the end of the fourth season. This one guy looked familiar but I could not quite place him. I looked him up on IMDb, he was Hubbel Urich on EFC.
Heh.

What's really odd is that actors from Andromeda and Earth Final Conflict never really do anything. It's like their careers stalled after those shows.

Lisa Ryder, who played Bekka Valentine in Andromeda, just recently showed up on From. But, generally speaking, 99% of the cast from those shows vanished.
We were watching the most recent Transformers movie and Da’an was the hospital administrator lady denying health care to the poors. She was a nun in a show called Barkskins.

I see Von Flores from time to time. I think I remember seeing the guy that played Tate Donovan in something but another character was called Tate. The aforementioned Alan Van Sprang gets pretty steady work. Getting a bit in the weeds but I notice Kari Matchett in things from time to time.

From Andromeda, Kevin Sorbo and Lexa Doig get pretty regular work. Laura Bertram pops up in a Hallmark-type movie or two a year. I get the impression she is semi-retired from acting.

Then again, I watch a lot of Canadian produced media. :?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:17:21 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:06:53 pm
Heh.

We were watching the most recent Transformers movie and Da’an was the hospital administrator lady denying health care to the poors. She was a nun in a show called Barkskins.

I see Von Flores from time to time. I think I remember seeing the guy that played Tate Donovan in something but another character was called Tate. The aforementioned Alan Van Sprang gets pretty steady work. Getting a bit in the weeds but I notice Kari Matchett in things from time to time.

From Andromeda, Kevin Sorbo and Lexa Doig get pretty regular work. Laura Bertram pops up in a Hallmark-type movie or two a year. I get the impression she is semi-retired from acting.

I think the last place I saw Flores in was Killjoys.

Van Sprang, Sorbo, and Doig definitely are the ones with the steadier careers. I don't watch Hallmark movies, heh.

I haven't seen Rise of The Beasts yet. That's interesting.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

So maybe I wasn't totally off base in suggesting that licensing obscure 80s properties is the way to go...

NYCC: Oni Press Announces NacelleVerse Line of Comics and Graphic Novels

The Nacelle Company and Oni Press are collaborating on a new line of comics and graphic novels centered on the former's iconic toy and animation properties.

The NacelleVerse will officially kick off in NacelleVerse #0 launching in spring 2024. The oversized, 40-page one-shot will be written by Melissa Flores (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) with art by Diogenes Neves (Realm of X, Suicide Squad), alongside more all-star artists from the upcoming NacelleVerse series. Speaking of those future series, they include Robo Force, Biker Mice From Mars, Sectaurs, The Great Garloo, and Power Lords.

"Toys and comics have a long and storied history of mutual admiration and cross-collaboration. From Transformers and Micronauts to G.I. Joe and ROM, some of the most impactful comics stories ever told have drawn inspiration from the world of toys. Alongside our partners at Nacelle and our amazing cast of creators, we're working to craft the next chapter in that time-tested legacy," said Oni Press President & Publisher Hunter Gorinson. "Having seen firsthand Nacelle's exciting and ambitious plans for the future, I know toy fans and comic readers alike are going to have a lot to look forward to in the NacelleVerse."

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/oni-p ... comic-con/

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:59:03 am So maybe I wasn't totally off base in suggesting that licensing obscure 80s properties is the way to go...

NYCC: Oni Press Announces NacelleVerse Line of Comics and Graphic Novels

The Nacelle Company and Oni Press are collaborating on a new line of comics and graphic novels centered on the former's iconic toy and animation properties.

The NacelleVerse will officially kick off in NacelleVerse #0 launching in spring 2024. The oversized, 40-page one-shot will be written by Melissa Flores (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) with art by Diogenes Neves (Realm of X, Suicide Squad), alongside more all-star artists from the upcoming NacelleVerse series. Speaking of those future series, they include Robo Force, Biker Mice From Mars, Sectaurs, The Great Garloo, and Power Lords.

"Toys and comics have a long and storied history of mutual admiration and cross-collaboration. From Transformers and Micronauts to G.I. Joe and ROM, some of the most impactful comics stories ever told have drawn inspiration from the world of toys. Alongside our partners at Nacelle and our amazing cast of creators, we're working to craft the next chapter in that time-tested legacy," said Oni Press President & Publisher Hunter Gorinson. "Having seen firsthand Nacelle's exciting and ambitious plans for the future, I know toy fans and comic readers alike are going to have a lot to look forward to in the NacelleVerse."

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/oni-p ... comic-con/
https://nacellestore.com/pages/the-nacelleverse

Interesting. Well, Gorinson clearly recognizes the value of licensed properties here. Interesting choice to combine Cowboys of Moo Mesa with the Biker Mice from Mars.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Nacelle is also doing Silverhawks. Odd to not see them here.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:41:56 pm Nacelle is also doing Silverhawks. Odd to not see them here.
:hm: yeah that is odd, they were pretty popular. Maybe there's more complicated rights issues? I have no idea. Happy to see Sectaurs though :clap:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I am borderline offended that Street Sharks are not included! Ripster, Jab, Streex, and Big Slammu would bring a lot to the table! Their wanton destruction of both public and private property while thwarting Dr. Piranoid and his gene slammers and time slammers epitomised over the top “extreme” 90s-isms.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:57:02 pm I am borderline offended that Street Sharks are not included! Ripster, Jab, Streex, and Big Slammu would bring a lot to the table! Their wanton destruction of both public and private property while thwarting Dr. Piranoid and his gene slammers and time slammers epitomised over the top “extreme” 90s-isms.
I guess that's one that Valiant can swoop in and take. The Sliders and Street Sharks multiverse is about to take over :popcorn:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:02:51 pm
Chiclo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:57:02 pm I am borderline offended that Street Sharks are not included! Ripster, Jab, Streex, and Big Slammu would bring a lot to the table! Their wanton destruction of both public and private property while thwarting Dr. Piranoid and his gene slammers and time slammers epitomised over the top “extreme” 90s-isms.
I guess that's one that Valiant can swoop in and take. The Sliders and Street Sharks multiverse is about to take over :popcorn:
:lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Might as well get SWAT Kats too.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:51:01 pm
MotA, you just had to ruin it. :mad:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:02:51 pm
Don’t say their secret plans out loud! Some crafty fellows might beat them to the punch and publish the Street Slidin’ Sharks Sneak Peak ashcan.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:49:32 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:51:01 pm
MotA, you just had to ruin it. :mad:
What's wrong with SWAT Kats? lol.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

That's a tough one. I like Thundercats, but I had heard once that Dynamite sucks. What to do?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

possumgrease wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:05:41 pm That's a tough one. I like Thundercats, but I had heard once that Dynamite sucks. What to do?
It could be worse; they could do a crossover between Thundercats and Gold Key characters. What to do then?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:

Ahem...

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:24:32 pm
Chiclo wrote:

Ahem...

Canadian media is producing more worthwhile um… media than the US. The terrorists have won.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:08:40 am One thing that really bugged me about the last season of Earth: Final Conflict (out of the many things that went wrong with it) was that they brought back the actor that played the real Liam Kincaid, but they never acknowledged it on screen.
That is REALLY obscure. It took a little while for it to sink in what you meant, you were talking about the character who had (supposedly?) died in the SI War and the main character called Liam stole his identity to get close to the Taelons. IMDb says this actor appeared in one episode as the original Liam Kincaid but four episodes in the season 5 character. If you are disturbed by Canadian tv shows recycling actors, then there is plenty of room for disappointment.

Season 5 of EFC was just horrible. Howlyn and his weird obsession with Rene Palmer. There was a period of time where Alan Van Sprang kept popping up all over the tv I was watching - Reign, EFC, Star Trek Discovery, Starhunter. I think I am safe and BAM! there is his face on Being Erica! I wondered if he was following me!
My previous comment aside, this reminds me I need to finish Being Erica.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

lorddunlow wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:08:45 pm
Chiclo wrote:

My previous comment aside, this reminds me I need to finish Being Erica.

I've been curious about that one, but it's not available here anymore.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Being Erica is a fun show. I made it not quite halfway through the third season and got distracted. I too need to finish it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Slasher is a good Canadian series.