New VALIANT Comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: New VALIANT Comics

Post by Chiclo »

buff-beardo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:55:31 pm My dream team for an old school VALIANT universe closure event . One year. First 6 months for the reunion. Final six months for the end.

Titles/Writer:
- Solar: Jim Shooter
- Harbinger: Jim Shooter
- X-0: Bob Layton
- Shadowman: Bob Hall
- Archer & Armstrong: BWS
- Eternal Warrior: Kevin VanHook
- Bloodshot: Kevin VanHook
- Magnus: Jim Shooter
- (Janet Jackson and Don Perlin must be there too!!!
Lol! It’s nice to dream.
Did MotA hack buff beardo’s account?

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:16:24 pm
buff-beardo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:55:31 pm My dream team for an old school VALIANT universe closure event . One year. First 6 months for the reunion. Final six months for the end.

Titles/Writer:
Lol! It’s nice to dream.
A lot of people still remember the classic Valiant universe fondly. It's funny how controversial that is on the Valiant Fans message board :lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Titles/Writer:
Lol! It’s nice to dream.
:?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:51:03 pm

Titles/Writer:
Lol! It’s nice to dream.
A lot of people still remember the classic Valiant universe fondly. It's funny how controversial that is on the Valiant Fans message board :lol:
:lol:
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

buff-beardo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:33:05 pm My dream team for a VEI universe soft reboot planned and executed in 3 years. 12 issues/crossover event/12 issues/End event.

Titles/Writer:
- Divinity: Jonathan Hickman
- Harbinger: Rick Remender
- X-0: Jason Aaron
- Shadowman: Scott Snyder
- Archer, Armstrong & Ivar: John Layman
- Eternal Warrior: Kieron Gillen
- Bloodshot: Ed Brubaker
- 40001 AD: Brian K. Vaughan
It is fun to imagine what these top writers would do with the Valiant characters.

However I think people forget how big all the Birthquake creators were at the time. Then VH2 got even bigger names (Waid, Busiek, Ennis, etc.) to relaunch the universe. These were the biggest names at the time, comparable to many on the above list. I don't think throwing big name creators at the characters has ever worked for Valiant.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:08:45 am
buff-beardo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:33:05 pm My dream team for a VEI universe soft reboot planned and executed in 3 years. 12 issues/crossover event/12 issues/End event.

Titles/Writer:
It is fun to imagine what these top writers would do with the Valiant characters.

However I think people forget how big all the Birthquake creators were at the time. Then VH2 got even bigger names (Waid, Busiek, Ennis, etc.) to relaunch the universe. These were the biggest names at the time, comparable to many on the above list. I don't think throwing big name creators at the characters has ever worked for Valiant.
I think the problem with Birthquake was lack of creative editorial direction. Though Nicieza had one, it was just not VALIANT.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:03:18 pm

Titles/Writer:

I think the problem with Birthquake was lack of creative editorial direction. Though Nicieza had one, it was just not VALIANT.
That's true. That's also part of the problem when you hire big name creators, they're probably not used to following an editorial direction. I just don't think the 'all-star' approach has ever worked at Valiant.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Nicieza might have had more of an editorial direction, but it certainly wasn't for consistency. Every VH2 book felt totally different in tone, like they were all set in different universes. Compare Ennis/Wood Shadowman to Busiek/Vokes Ninjak to Bloodshot to Quantum and Woody. The style and tone of those books are all over the place on the spectrum of action/adventure, horror, comedy, etc.

For some, maybe that's the ideal for line of comics. Have a wide range of tones and styles so there are books for every type of reader. That seems more like VEI/DMG's approach as well.

But when I look at early Valiant and 60's Marvel, it's the opposite. They both have a great deal of consistency across the lines of books and have a very clear brand identity and visual identity for the characters that doesn't waver from book to book despite different styles of drawing.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:34:04 pm

Titles/Writer:

That's true. That's also part of the problem when you hire big name creators, they're probably not used to following an editorial direction. I just don't think the 'all-star' approach has ever worked at Valiant.
Indeed. Big names, bigger egos.

I recall Morrison throwing a fit at Marvel when Mark Powers gave him editorial direction.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:28:18 pm
Nicieza might have had more of an editorial direction, but it certainly wasn't for consistency. Every VH2 book felt totally different in tone, like they were all set in different universes. Compare Ennis/Wood Shadowman to Busiek/Vokes Ninjak to Bloodshot to Quantum and Woody. The style and tone of those books are all over the place on the spectrum of action/adventure, horror, comedy, etc.

For some, maybe that's the ideal for line of comics. Have a wide range of tones and styles so there are books for every type of reader. That seems more like VEI/DMG's approach as well.

But when I look at early Valiant and 60's Marvel, it's the opposite. They both have a great deal of consistency across the lines of books and have a very clear brand identity and visual identity for the characters that doesn't waver from book to book despite different styles of drawing.
The House Style. Which can work. But, at the same time, the genres have to be respected.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:48:11 pm The House Style. Which can work. But, at the same time, the genres have to be respected.
You could call it that, I would just call it consistency of brand identity.

Like in an animated tv series, there are dozens of artists but they all have to follow the model sheets and style guides created by concept artists and approved by the art directors and show runners.

In comics there's a lot more leeway for personal artistic style. Even in early Valiant there's a lot of difference between Ernie Colon and Barry Windsor-Smith. But they both stick close enough to the 'model' that a story like Unity still feels cohesive despite each chapter having a distinct style.

I'm not saying Valiant should have a strict house style. I'm not even sure that's possible in modern comics. I'm just saying I prefer more consistency to a model. It's one of the things that made early Valiant unique.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:18:08 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:48:11 pm The House Style. Which can work. But, at the same time, the genres have to be respected.

Like in an animated tv series, there are dozens of artists but they all have to follow the model sheets and style guides created by concept artists and approved by the art directors and show runners.

In comics there's a lot more leeway for personal artistic style. Even in early Valiant there's a lot of difference between Ernie Colon and Barry Windsor-Smith. But they both stick close enough to the 'model' that a story like Unity still feels cohesive despite each chapter having a distinct style.

I'm not saying Valiant should have a strict house style. I'm not even sure that's possible in modern comics. I'm just saying I prefer more consistency to a model. It's one of the things that made early Valiant unique.
Sure. At the same time, though, it is more interesting when characters from different genres switch genre.

If, for instance, we think of Shadowman as a haunted house, when Archer & Armstrong appear in a Shadowman comic, it should look as if they've stepped into one. Likewise, if we think of X-O Manowar as science fiction/adventure series, when Shadowman shows up in that comic he is switching genre from horror to science fiction.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:54:00 pm

Sure. At the same time, though, it is more interesting when characters from different genres switch genre.

If, for instance, we think of Shadowman as a haunted house, when Archer & Armstrong appear in a Shadowman comic, it should look as if they've stepped into one. Likewise, if we think of X-O Manowar as science fiction/adventure series, when Shadowman shows up in that comic he is switching genre from horror to science fiction.
Yeah, I like that too. I agree with you to an extent, I think it just depends on how far you're stretching the models. For me, there's definitely a point where it goes too far and starts to take away from the cohesion of the universe.

For example VH2 went too far for me. Having the extreme stylization of Ashley Wood next to manga-esque cartoony characters just doesn't work. It's like when Punisher met Archie.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:24:14 am

Yeah, I like that too. I agree with you to an extent, I think it just depends on how far you're stretching the models. For me, there's definitely a point where it goes too far and starts to take away from the cohesion of the universe.

For example VH2 went too far for me. Having the extreme stylization of Ashley Wood next to manga-esque cartoony characters just doesn't work. It's like when Punisher met Archie.
I can see that. The art should reflect the genre, though. It's a difficult balance with the visuals.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:39:38 am
Ryan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:24:14 am

I can see that. The art should reflect the genre, though. It's a difficult balance with the visuals.
No doubt. I agree that art should reflect the genre, it should fit the tone of the story being told.

If Shadowman is an urban horror/action story, it should have an appropriate dark/moody art style. I'm just saying I like it better when within the different styles, there's an effort to keep the characters and certain things consistent within the shared universe titles. So that they're not stretched and exaggerated so far that all consistency, illusion of realism, and credibility is lost.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:28:29 pm No doubt. I agree that art should reflect the genre, it should fit the tone of the story being told.

If Shadowman is an urban horror/action story, it should have an appropriate dark/moody art style. I'm just saying I like it better when within the different styles, there's an effort to keep the characters and certain things consistent within the shared universe titles. So that they're not stretched and exaggerated so far that all consistency, illusion of realism, and credibility is lost.
Absolutely.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:47:20 pm

Titles/Writer:

I recall Morrison throwing a fit at Marvel when Mark Powers gave him editorial direction.

And some creators IMHO like Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, and especially Garth Ennis and Mark Millar produce much better work under strong editorial direction and control keeping their weird, stupid, darker, and meaner under control. Mark Millar once wrote Superman: For The Animals while a PSA is actually just one of the best Superman stories in the last 20 years or so IMHO it's right up there with All-Star Superman, Superman: What is so Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?, Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Superman: What do get For the Man Whose Has Everything? and Superman: For All Seasons.

Are there some creators that can produce better work without editors and companies looking over their shoulders? Sure as a comic book writer JMS is a prime example and certain degree so is Bendis.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

Cyberstrike wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:26:27 am

Titles/Writer:

And some creators IMHO like Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, and especially Garth Ennis and Mark Millar produce much better work under strong editorial direction and control keeping their weird, stupid, darker, and meaner under control. Mark Millar once wrote Superman: For The Animals while a PSA is actually just one of the best Superman stories in the last 20 years or so IMHO it's right up there with All-Star Superman, Superman: What is so Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?, Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Superman: What do get For the Man Whose Has Everything? and Superman: For All Seasons.

Are there some creators that can produce better work without editors and companies looking over their shoulders? Sure as a comic book writer JMS is a prime example and certain degree so is Bendis.
Great example. imo, I think all great writers produce better work with strong editors. I would argue that JMS did better work with Joe Quesada overseeing him than after, same for Bendis. Just look at this DC work where he has carte blanche.

The problem is Valiant now has no great editors. They need to get some, if they can.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Titles/Writer:

Indeed. JMS is likely an exception because he has experience as a story editor and showrunner. So he knows how it works from both sides.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:29:19 am

Great example. imo, I think all great writers produce better work with strong editors. I would argue that JMS did better work with Joe Quesada overseeing him than after, same for Bendis. Just look at this DC work where he has carte blanche.

The problem is Valiant now has no great editors. They need to get some, if they can.
Good points, for sure. I'll add that there never seems to be that much respect in the industry for Valiant. 'Big name' creators seem to use the Valiant paycheck as a way to unload their leftover scripts and try their experimental art styles that the Big 2 wouldn't let them get away with. It's been happening since Birthquake and VH2. It's like Valiant is so desperate to get some 'name' creators to work on the books that they let them do whatever they want.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:26:42 pm

Good points, for sure. I'll add that there never seems to be that much respect in the industry for Valiant. 'Big name' creators seem to use the Valiant paycheck as a way to unload their leftover scripts and try their experimental art styles that the Big 2 wouldn't let them get away with. It's been happening since Birthquake and VH2. It's like Valiant is so desperate to get some 'name' creators to work on the books that they let them do whatever they want.
That's why strong editors are needed. I bet weak ones get excited by the chance to work with the big names and let them get run over.

Also, why it was so refreshing to see Valiant not take leftovers and experiments when Dinesh was there. Instead they broke a lot of talent like Venditti, Kindt, Lemire (even though he had a little indie heat he wasn't mainstream yet), Giorello, Raul Allen and put a spotlight on so many that were talented but hadn't broken out big like Dysart, LaRosa, Henry, Perez, Suayan etc. Miss those days.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:26:42 pm

Which big names do you mean by that? I don't think we had any huge examples of that really, at least during my time...do you mean like Cullen?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

A new talent anthology series would be awesome.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

double post...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:45:29 pm
Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:26:42 pm Good points, for sure. I'll add that there never seems to be that much respect in the industry for Valiant. 'Big name' creators seem to use the Valiant paycheck as a way to unload their leftover scripts and try their experimental art styles that the Big 2 wouldn't let them get away with. It's been happening since Birthquake and VH2. It's like Valiant is so desperate to get some 'name' creators to work on the books that they let them do whatever they want.
Which big names do you mean by that? I don't think we had any huge examples of that really, at least during my time...do you mean like Cullen?
I was mostly speaking historically, I haven't read many DMG Valiant comics. But since you asked: Javier Pulido and Liam Sharp. Compare Pulido's earlier work to his super simplified, almost child-like work on Ninjak. I'm actually a fan of his work and simplified styles in general, but that was too much even for me. Compare Liam Sharp's intricately detailed linework in Green Lantern to his X-O Unconquered art that looks like Photoshop photo collage.

Art is certainly subjective, maybe to them they're doing the best work of the careers. But to my eye and for my taste, it feels like they put less effort into their Valiant work. Could just be a personal preference :?

Green Lantern

X-O