VALIANT In Other Media

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
VALIANT In Other Media

Post by ManofTheAtom »

What movies and TV series (animated and live action) would you like to see, and from which studio?

Let us hypothetically say that Paramount, which, arguably, has found success with the Transformers franchise, decided to expand their license with VALIANT beyond Faith to launch a shared cinematic universe across film and TV.

What should they start with? A film or a TV series?

Which characters would it make sense to see lead their own movie once every two years or so and which ones should lead their own eight-10 episode-a-year streaming series?

Arguably, X-O Manowar might work best as a film series than as a streaming series. The disadvantage with TV is that the longer they are on, the lower the budget gets, whereas, in success, a film's budget can increase from film to film.

Likewise, Eternal Warrior could lead his own series. If not him, then Timewalker.

Fantasy like Rings of Power, Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, etc. and science fiction like The Expanse, Foundation, etc. has done well on cable and streaming, and that can work for the advantage of either EW or TW.

What else comes to mind?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: VALIANT In Other Media

Post by Ryan »

Good choices. I think streaming series are the way to go. Cheaper to produce and more suitable to serialized storytelling.

I agree X-O feels more like a movie.

Would love to see Bloodshot as a series. But closer to the VH1 version, where he's just a super martial artist with a healing factor and no memory. It wouldn't need more vfx than a typical action series.

Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger could both work as series as well.

Honestly I don't think Valiant should be trying to compete with the big boys doing big budget movies and AAA games. They should be the scrappy indy that does better work due to writing, dedication, and passion. They seem obsessed with production values and trying to look like the big boys.

I look at something like Chronicle (2012), made for 15 million then grossed 126 mil. It didn't have the budget to compete with The Avengers, so it had to be smarter and more interesting. Writing and passion, done because the creators love the genre, not because they're trying to make a million bucks. They weren't seeing superhero comics and movies as the next big moneymaking scheme, they just wanted to tell the story for the love of it. That's what VALIANT needs more than anything.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:27:54 pm Good choices. I think streaming series are the way to go. Cheaper to produce and more suitable to serialized storytelling.

I agree X-O feels more like a movie.

Would love to see Bloodshot as a series. But closer to the VH1 version, where he's just a super martial artist with a healing factor and no memory. It wouldn't need more vfx than a typical action series.

Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger could both work as series as well.

Honestly I don't think Valiant should be trying to compete with the big boys doing big budget movies and AAA games. They should be the scrappy indy that does better work due to writing, dedication, and passion. They seem obsessed with production values and trying to look like the big boys.

I look at something like Chronicle (2012), made for 15 million then grossed 126 mil. It didn't have the budget to compete with The Avengers, so it had to be smarter and more interesting. Writing and passion, done because the creators love the genre, not because they're trying to make a million bucks. They weren't seeing superhero comics and movies as the next big moneymaking scheme, they just wanted to tell the story for the love of it. That's what VALIANT needs more than anything.
Indeed.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Rai could be cool as a series, live action or animated. Live action would be more VFX heavy like Expanse, Foundation, Altered Carbon.

But which version of Rai?

I tried but can't get into VEI's Rais. Malev War Rai is alright, but more of a team book dependent on the Malev War. Pre-Unity Rai by Michelinie is the weakest pre-Unity IMO. The world has potential but it's a bit boring and feels too orientalist (just using cliche, surface aspects of Asian culture). The best Rai to me is Magnus flip-book Rai. I always wanted to see more about the lineage and the Rai power.

This is one of the problems with adapting the Valiant properties, there isn't usually one definitive version or storyline that is ready-made for a tv series. Like for example The Boys, all the elements and foundation for a good tv series are all there in the comic. Just needed some good writers to tweak things.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:27:24 pm Rai could be cool as a series, live action or animated. Live action would be more VFX heavy like Expanse, Foundation, Altered Carbon.

I tried but can't get into VEI's Rais. Malev War Rai is alright, but more of a team book dependent on the Malev War. Pre-Unity Rai by Michelinie is the weakest pre-Unity IMO. The world has potential but it's a bit boring and feels too orientalist (just using cliche, surface aspects of Asian culture). The best Rai to me is Magnus flip-book Rai. I always wanted to see more about the lineage and the Rai power.

This is one of the problems with adapting the Valiant properties, there isn't usually one definitive version or storyline that is ready-made for a tv series. Like for example The Boys, all the elements and foundation for a good tv series are all there in the comic. Just needed some good writers to tweak things.

I'd be okay with an animated series based on the VEI Rai. I think it can work really well. It should be an anime.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:47:56 pm
Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:27:24 pm Rai could be cool as a series, live action or animated. Live action would be more VFX heavy like Expanse, Foundation, Altered Carbon.

I'd be okay with an animated series based on the VEI Rai. I think it can work really well. It should be an anime.
Definitely, anime would be the easiest way to do far future sci-fi. I don't watch much, so I don't know any similar examples, but I'm sure there's many.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:00:06 pm

Definitely, anime would be the easiest way to do far future sci-fi. I don't watch much, so I don't know any similar examples, but I'm sure there's many.
Definitely.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

That makes the most sense, Rai as a cartoon. Like one of those DC cartoons or the new Babylon 5 cartoon.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:08:05 pm

That makes the most sense, Rai as a cartoon. Like one of those DC cartoons or the new Babylon 5 cartoon.
Absolutely. I prefer the one used in the DC movies over the one used in Babylon 5, but either works.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:34:39 pm

Absolutely. I prefer the one used in the DC movies over the one used in Babylon 5, but either works.
Netflix's Super Crooks is a Japanese Anime adaptation of an American comic (by Mark Millar). Amazon Prime Invincible is popular. Lots of good recent examples.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:01:34 pm

Netflix's Super Crooks is a Japanese Anime adaptation of an American comic (by Mark Millar). Amazon Prime Invincible is popular. Lots of good recent examples.
I skipped Super Crooks, but Invincible has been great.

Masters of The Universe: Revelation, Castlevania, and Dragon's Dogma on Netflix and The Legend of Vox Machina on Prime Video are four other good ones.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:07:24 pm

Masters of The Universe: Revelation, Castlevania, and Dragon's Dogma on Netflix and The Legend of Vox Machina on Prime Video are four other good ones.
Nice, good to know.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:10:38 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:07:24 pm

Nice, good to know.
:thumb:

TronNerd82
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2021
Favorite character: Jack Boniface
Favorite title: Shadowman (90s)
Favorite writer: Bob Hall
Favorite artist: Bob Hall

Post by TronNerd82 »

I'd like to see a Shadowman animated series for mature audiences. I think that'd be cool.
Remember kids, sniffing glue will not get your parents back together!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

TronNerd82 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:11:15 pm I'd like to see a Shadowman animated series for mature audiences. I think that'd be cool.
No doubt. Animation may be better, though live-action would be preferable for me. Master Darque in live-action would be great.

The first season of Interview with The Vampire shows what a Maxim St. James flashback could look like. Something with those production values would be great.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:58:31 pm
TronNerd82 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:11:15 pm I'd like to see a Shadowman animated series for mature audiences. I think that'd be cool.
No doubt. Animation may be better, though live-action would be preferable for me. Master Darque in live-action would be great.

The first season of Interview with The Vampire shows what a Maxim St. James flashback could look like. Something with those production values would be great.
Both of those would be awesome!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:12:29 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:58:31 pm

Both of those would be awesome!
Yeah.