VALIANT CANCELS NINJAK & X-O, NO NEWS FROM ALIEN BOOKS!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
VALIANT CANCELS NINJAK & X-O, NO NEWS FROM ALIEN BOOKS!

Post by agent_graves »

#StayValiant

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Re: VALIANT CANCELS NINJAK & X-O, NO NEWS FROM ALIEN BOOKS!

Post by MartinAlien »

Yes, Valiant has to cancel the titles because they are going to be published by Alien Books. Only that Bleeding Cool needed to click bait you.

I'll quote Dani that explained it better at the Valiant Comic Fans Facebook Group:
Pssst -
Hey guys, ignore that bleeding cool piece saying future releases are CANCELED - it's just canceled all off Valiant's Diamond account since all future releases will be on Alien's new account.
I'm working with Diamond to make sure all the retailers get notified of the new item IDs, etc. There are going to be a few minor changes but Superkillers, X-O UNCONQUERED, and more are all coming!
If your LCS/retailer wants more specific information asap, or just wants to say what's up, give them my email daniw@alienbooks.com -
Just hang in there a tiny bit longer and you'll have brand spanking solicits very soon. Unfortunately, it was not all ready to make the deadline for November..
Working for the Aliens

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

That "article" also says we got #1-5 but it was only the first three issues that actually made it to stores, right?
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

MartinAlien wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:25:41 pm Yes, Valiant has to cancel the titles because they are going to be published by Alien Books. Only that Bleeding Cool needed to click bait you.

I'll quote Dani that explained it better at the Valiant Comic Fans Facebook Group:
Pssst -
Hey guys, ignore that bleeding cool piece saying future releases are CANCELED - it's just canceled all off Valiant's Diamond account since all future releases will be on Alien's new account.
I'm working with Diamond to make sure all the retailers get notified of the new item IDs, etc. There are going to be a few minor changes but Superkillers, X-O UNCONQUERED, and more are all coming!
If your LCS/retailer wants more specific information asap, or just wants to say what's up, give them my email daniw@alienbooks.com -
Just hang in there a tiny bit longer and you'll have brand spanking solicits very soon. Unfortunately, it was not all ready to make the deadline for November..
What group is that? is it a private group?

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens

Post by MartinAlien »

Working for the Aliens

slack

Post by slack »

Thanks, it's unavailable for me. I was a member... I guess they banned me for some reason. I must've said something unacceptable.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

MartinAlien wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:25:41 pm Yes, Valiant has to cancel the titles because they are going to be published by Alien Books. Only that Bleeding Cool needed to click bait you.

Pssst -
Happy to hear that but there's also a dark cloud in there. We've all been blaming DMG for the lack of books but it looks like the people on the ground making the books also can't hit deadlines. Even we've known about Alien books for weeks, surely Valiant has known longer. How could they not have got ducks and solicits in order so that the new ones come out before the old ones are canceled. Or informed stores before orders were deleted. Or even put new solicits up the same day as the old ones are taken down. Maybe I don't understand comics solicits but this is a little embarrassing and not a great sign of things to come right?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

slack wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:27:18 am Thanks, it's unavailable for me. I was a member... I guess they banned me for some reason. I must've said something unacceptable.
Yeah, the admins are pretty toxic and ban people for disagreeing with them. I'm not banned but two friends are and they did nothing wrong. I barely post there now because I'm afraid. I just read. Possible that I get banned just for saying this here lol

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17:11 pm

Pssst -
Happy to hear that but there's also a dark cloud in there. We've all been blaming DMG for the lack of books but it looks like the people on the ground making the books also can't hit deadlines. Even we've known about Alien books for weeks, surely Valiant has known longer. How could they not have got ducks and solicits in order so that the new ones come out before the old ones are canceled. Or informed stores before orders were deleted. Or even put new solicits up the same day as the old ones are taken down. Maybe I don't understand comics solicits but this is a little embarrassing and not a great sign of things to come right?
If VALIANT is no longer releasing comics through Previews because they are moving operations to Alien Books, it makes sense for Diamond to cancel the orders. Now it is up to Alien to fulfill those orders.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:19:28 pm

Pssst -
If VALIANT is no longer releasing comics through Previews because they are moving operations to Alien Books, it makes sense for Diamond to cancel the orders. Now it is up to Alien to fulfill those orders.
yes. i said that. but the timing. If you move out of your house it makes sense for the owner to rent it someone else. I'm saying its a bad sign that you didn't go rent another house knowing your lease was coming up, and now you have nowhere to sleep. That's what this looks like. No way every store will order the books again. Alien will lose sales because they didn't get ahead of this.

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens

Post by MartinAlien »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:21:10 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:19:28 pm

Pssst -
yes. i said that. but the timing. If you move out of your house it makes sense for the owner to rent it someone else. I'm saying its a bad sign that you didn't go rent another house knowing your lease was coming up, and now you have nowhere to sleep. That's what this looks like. No way every store will order the books again. Alien will lose sales because they didn't get ahead of this.
That's not the case. To release a book on November you need to send all the information to Diamond on July. The deal was too fresh to meet their deadline, so November was already lost. Solicitations for December are due in August and retailers get that information in September, so just wait a little.
Working for the Aliens

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17:11 pm Happy to hear that but there's also a dark cloud in there. We've all been blaming DMG for the lack of books but it looks like the people on the ground making the books also can't hit deadlines. Even we've known about Alien books for weeks, surely Valiant has known longer. How could they not have got ducks and solicits in order so that the new ones come out before the old ones are canceled. Or informed stores before orders were deleted. Or even put new solicits up the same day as the old ones are taken down. Maybe I don't understand comics solicits but this is a little embarrassing and not a great sign of things to come right?
I also don't understand how solicits work exactly, but I think you make some good points, isn't there a smoother way to deal with this if everything is going so perfectly?

However I think we're all willing to give Alien the benefit of the doubt at this point. They should also understand that the last 5 years of DMG have led to many fans becoming more skeptical for legitimate reasons. That's just the reality of what they're walking into.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:52:26 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17:11 pm Happy to hear that but there's also a dark cloud in there. We've all been blaming DMG for the lack of books but it looks like the people on the ground making the books also can't hit deadlines. Even we've known about Alien books for weeks, surely Valiant has known longer. How could they not have got ducks and solicits in order so that the new ones come out before the old ones are canceled. Or informed stores before orders were deleted. Or even put new solicits up the same day as the old ones are taken down. Maybe I don't understand comics solicits but this is a little embarrassing and not a great sign of things to come right?
I also don't understand how solicits work exactly, but I think you make some good points, isn't there a smoother way to deal with this if everything is going so perfectly?

However, I think we're all willing to give Alien the benefit of the doubt at this point. They should also understand that the last 5 years of DMG have led to many fans becoming more skeptical for legitimate reasons. That's just the reality of what they're walking into.
It's just the diamond system and they operate. They have set schedules for things. It's been this way for a long time.
If I knew ahead of time at Valiant, I would have set it up to save time for sure.

I asked if it was possible to do a transfer on the accounts just to save time, and it's not.

But - most importantly, It also isn't the same *exact* product anymore.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

daniellew61 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:53:42 pm

However, I think we're all willing to give Alien the benefit of the doubt at this point. They should also understand that the last 5 years of DMG have led to many fans becoming more skeptical for legitimate reasons. That's just the reality of what they're walking into.
It's just the diamond system and they operate. They have set schedules for things. It's been this way for a long time.
If I knew ahead of time at Valiant, I would have set it up to save time for sure.

I asked if it was possible to do a transfer on the accounts just to save time, and it's not.

Teasing a little something there?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up!

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:57:15 pm

Teasing a little something there?
Yes.

But really, I just want the books out already too!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I'm reminded of when VALIANT and Acclaim would solicit comics that would then end up on the cancellation lists. I kept waiting for them to be solicited again, heh.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:15:03 pm I'm reminded of when VALIANT and Acclaim would solicit comics that would then end up on the cancellation lists. I kept waiting for them to be solicited again, heh.
Yeah any long-time Valiant fan has a lot of scar tissue from so many broken promises and failed relaunches, just from the classic/Acclaim era alone. Obviously no one at current Valiant is to blame for any of this, but they should be aware of the history so they know why the fans get sensitive about certain things.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:30:37 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:15:03 pm I'm reminded of when VALIANT and Acclaim would solicit comics that would then end up on the cancellation lists. I kept waiting for them to be solicited again, heh.
Yeah any long-time Valiant fan has a lot of scar tissue from so many broken promises and failed relaunches, just from the classic/Acclaim era alone. Obviously no one at current Valiant is to blame for any of this, but they should be aware of the history so they know why the fans get sensitive about certain things.
Yeah.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

What about an email to your retailer partners to let them know? Or an announcement to your fans? I get the Diamond thing might have precluded that going smoothly but communication is key in any business and Diamond isn't Valiant nor Alien's only method of communication. It reads like you all were caught with you pants down by Diamond or didn't understand the Diamond system well enough to foresee this.

If it isn't the same product then all orders are cancelled permanently and stores have to reorder from scratch right? Those are antitrust distribution laws Diamond has to follow right? Will the stores get the same discount they did the first time around? It would be a great sign of goodwill to match or exceed those discounts on the first releases, especially if those books are these previously promised stories.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

What about an email to your retailer partners to let them know? Or an announcement to your fans? I get the Diamond thing might have precluded that going smoothly but communication is key in any business and Diamond isn't Valiant nor Alien's only method of communication. It reads like you all were caught with you pants down by Diamond or didn't understand the Diamond system well enough to foresee this.
I did a small outreach that immediately could do on Facebook. Working on the rest but it's not that serious when people[retailers] already know it's a new company. This was inevitable, it just took this long to get pulled down.
If it isn't the same product then all orders are canceled permanently and stores have to reorder from scratch right? Those are antitrust distribution laws Diamond has to follow right? Will the stores get the same discount they did the first time around? It would be a great sign of goodwill to match or exceed those discounts on the first releases, especially if those books are these previously promised stories
Not the same product. It's a new Valiant product now. Nothing to do with antitrust laws.
Customers decide if they want to order the new products - wouldn't be fair to force the orders for adjustments if it changed over. It doesn't work that way. Different publisher, company, etc.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

But I agree with how annoying this all is and looks, not that fun .. :roll: :roll: :roll:

We're almost through this weird phase though! It'll especially be much more fun than this!

slack

Post by slack »

I bet if Alien launches their Valiant books before DMG makes the Kickstarter right... there will probably be a pretty unfavorable mention in some of the press about new releases.

Hopefully Alien and other license partners are willing to protect their investment, and pressure DMG to fulfill their obligations made in the name of the (tainted) Valiant brand.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

slack wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:04:58 pm I bet if Alien launches their Valiant books before DMG makes the Kickstarter right... there will probably be a pretty unfavorable mention in some of the press about new releases.

Hopefully Alien and other license partners are willing to protect their investment, and pressure DMG to fulfill their obligations made in the name of the (tainted) Valiant brand.
That's a really good point. Alien can't be happy about that.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

daniellew61 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:42:47 pm But I agree with how annoying this all is and looks, not that fun .. :roll: :roll: :roll:

We're almost through this weird phase though! It'll especially be much more fun than this!
Happy it's almost over. Wish you and the Alien crew the best luck.