Board Activity

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Board Activity

Post by greg »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:04:35 pm I’ve been noticing a hell of a lot of kids in all the cities around here seem to suddenly have all the same haircut… my wife describes it as a mushroom top - shaved sides that flare up to as much of a curly poof on top as they can manage to grow :lol:
Broccoli head or broccoli cut is the most common term I'm hearing.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:08:17 pm
grendeljd wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:04:35 pm I’ve been noticing a hell of a lot of kids in all the cities around here seem to suddenly have all the same haircut… my wife describes it as a mushroom top - shaved sides that flare up to as much of a curly poof on top as they can manage to grow :lol:
Yeah, that’s the one! *This* is the style that’s gonna stay popular for decades to come, guys - I can just feel it!! :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:58:58 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:37:00 pm
Chiclo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:42:18 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:14:30 am
greg wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:08:13 am I posted this on another topic, but it belongs here, too.

Where did everyone go?

Well...
greg wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:25:24 am A collector of pre-Unity Valiant anytime between 1992 and 2011 would have meant building a collection of 60 books over 20 years.
Throw in the Valiant variants, gold issues, and key first appearances and you'd still be under 100 books for a "very nice" old school Valiant collection.

VEI put out 100 different books (including variants) in about 8 months. By the second anniversary (May 2014), there were over 500 books.

Old school Valiant 100 "classics" in 20 years vs. New Valiant 500 "everything" in 2 years.
... maybe they decided they were done because they wouldn't ever be done.
So all who are left are the people that care about the stories while the collectors/investors raptured themselves?
I don't think the few that still haunt these halls show much interest in current comics - stories, covers, or otherwise.
That sucks.
I still have a strong passion for new comics - this is probably because I still dream of being a comic book creator as a full time gig. I particularly like to maintain an interest in series beyond any of the traditional superhero books too (if I were to produce my own comics, they would not end up being superhero stories - and that’s not to say I dislike that genre in any way).

Using the medium of comics to create great stories across multiple other genres is what gets me most excited, so I do actively try to be open to new stuff. However, I am currently not as active as I used to be in terms of trying out many new series - it’s close to one of my lowest points in decades as a fan, as far as how many current comics I pick up regularly. I did just try out a new series called “w0rld tr33” this week that was exceptionally good though!

If Alien manages to publish even a limited but solid line-up of Valiant books regularly, I’m interested in giving them a chance.
Absolutely. I've been working on my own shared universe (not superheroes) with a company called Golden Bell Entertainment. The pandemic delayed us, but I'm hopeful than in the next few years we'll be able to start publishing stuff.

Feel free to send your art pitches with rates to michaelsacal@goldenbellstudios.com, and hopefully we can do something in the future.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

greg

Post by greg »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:18:57 pm
Yeah, that’s the one! *This* is the style that’s gonna stay popular for decades to come, guys - I can just feel it!! :lol:
Broccoli top will always be
Hair sweet hair to me
Good old broccoli top
Broccoli top Hennessy
broccolitophennessy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:41:24 pm
Hair sweet hair to me
Good old broccoli top
Broccoli top Hennessy

broccolitophennessy.jpg
that is indeed the hairstyle I’m seeing everywhere in large gangs of kids - it literally looks like groups of clones of the same kid when I see them sometimes (even to the point of all wearing nearly the exact same set of black clothes & white shoes!) :lol:
Last edited by grendeljd on Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:15:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:20:21 pm
greg wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:08:13 am I posted this on another topic, but it belongs here, too.

Where did everyone go?

Well...

... maybe they decided they were done because they wouldn't ever be done.
So all who are left are the people that care about the stories while the collectors/investors raptured themselves?
I don't think the few that still haunt these halls show much interest in current comics - stories, covers, or otherwise.
That sucks.
I still have a strong passion for new comics - this is probably because I still dream of being a comic book creator as a full time gig. I particularly like to maintain an interest in series beyond any of the traditional superhero books too (if I were to produce my own comics, they would not end up being superhero stories - and that’s not to say I dislike that genre in any way).

Using the medium of comics to create great stories across multiple other genres is what gets me most excited, so I do actively try to be open to new stuff. However, I am currently not as active as I used to be in terms of trying out many new series - it’s close to one of my lowest points in decades as a fan, as far as how many current comics I pick up regularly. I did just try out a new series called “w0rld tr33” this week that was exceptionally good though!

If Alien manages to publish even a limited but solid line-up of Valiant books regularly, I’m interested in giving them a chance.
Absolutely. I've been working on my own shared universe (not superheroes) with a company called Golden Bell Entertainment. The pandemic delayed us, but I'm hopeful than in the next few years we'll be able to start publishing stuff.

Feel free to send your art pitches with rates to michaelsacal@goldenbellstudios.com, and hopefully we can do something in the future.
Glad to hear you are still working on publishing your own stuff - I’m sure I’ve seen some of the books in development somewhere else online in years past, Facebook maybe?

Thanks for the offer to pitch my work - I haven’t actively pursued any paid work in a while as my available time for it has grown limited, but I may take you up on that!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

grendeljd wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:13:26 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:20:21 pm

That sucks.

Glad to hear you are still working on publishing your own stuff - I’m sure I’ve seen some of the books in development somewhere else online in years past, Facebook maybe?
Most likely than not.
Thanks for the offer to pitch my work - I haven’t actively pursued any paid work in a while as my available time for it has grown limited, but I may take you up on that!
Awesome.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

greg

Post by greg »

grendeljd wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:08:06 pm
greg wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:41:24 pm
Hair sweet hair to me
Good old broccoli top
Broccoli top Hennessy

broccolitophennessy.jpg
that is indeed the hairstyle I’m seeing everywhere in large gangs of kids - it literally looks like groups of clones of the same kid when I see them sometimes (even to the point of all wearing nearly the exact same set of black clothes & white shoes!) :lol:
To be honest, the hairstyle is so regrettable that I'm actually happy that "mullet" is going to fall to second place on "worst of all time". :thumb:
broccolitopspongebob.jpg
broccolitopbird.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

The boards are dead because the dream died again. VALIANT is cursed by bad actors with $
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

buff-beardo wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:56:58 am The boards are dead because the dream died again. VALIANT is cursed by bad actors with $
We survived it once, we'll survive it again.

greg

Post by greg »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:25:21 am
buff-beardo wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:56:58 am The boards are dead because the dream died again. VALIANT is cursed by bad actors with $
This board (which is version 3.0) started when Acclaim was officially bankrupt and no one had anything new with "Valiant" printed on it in about 7 years.

We'll be fine.

People around here act like we've got to have something new and exciting to keep the nostalgia going. Umm, no. Nostalgia is about what was, back when we really cared, not about what is now that we're old and grumpy.

Some of the guys here have gone from being Fry with his seven-leaf clover to being Morbo.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I am not on Social Media other than LinkedIn and I am a creature of habit. I log into Valiant Fans first thing in the morning before anything else. I check out the new posts from the day before. In fact, I just logged in and found this new thread. :lol: I am only buying Valiant hardcovers and TPB’s and hardly anything is being released, although I just picked up The Harbinger volume 2 in TPB. :o

The bottom line is I still enjoy this forum and the occasional PM from an old friend. Being in Kansas City, you have to love Patrick MaHomes! :clap:

Michael
Mkb28

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

greg wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:38:22 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:25:21 am
This board (which is version 3.0) started when Acclaim was officially bankrupt and no one had anything new with "Valiant" printed on it in about 7 years.

We'll be fine.

People around here act like we've got to have something new and exciting to keep the nostalgia going. Umm, no. Nostalgia is about what was, back when we really cared, not about what is now that we're old and grumpy.

Some of the guys here have gone from being Fry with his seven-leaf clover to being Morbo.
It is not new material that keeps this board going, it is complaining about that damn goat being on a first-name basis with the Legion of Super-Heroes that keeps this board going!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

mkb28 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:12:04 am I am not on Social Media other than LinkedIn and I am a creature of habit. I log into Valiant Fans first thing in the morning before anything else. I check out the new posts from the day before. In fact, I just logged in and found this new thread. :lol: I am only buying Valiant hardcovers and TPB’s and hardly anything is being released, although I just picked up The Harbinger volume 2 in TPB. :o

The bottom line is I still enjoy this forum and the occasional PM from an old friend. Being in Kansas City, you have to love Patrick MaHomes! :clap:

Michael
Mkb28
Awesome.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I'm still here routinely enough. I post a little less though mostly because I've been focused on a personal project that I put most of my attention towards for some time now, and then also because there isn't much to say that hasn't been said until there is something new.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

IMJ wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:08:43 am I'm still here routinely enough. I post a little less though mostly because I've been focused on a personal project that I put most of my attention towards for some time now, and then also because there isn't much to say that hasn't been said until there is something new.
I really need to find the time to read all of VEI and post the threads I would have made had I been here when those comics were published.

Just don't know when that might be, or if I'd be able to.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
IMJ wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:08:43 am I'm still here routinely enough. I post a little less though mostly because I've been focused on a personal project that I put most of my attention towards for some time now, and then also because there isn't much to say that hasn't been said until there is something new.
I really need to find the time to read all of VEI and post the threads I would have made had I been here when those comics were published.

Are you planning on getting banned again? Image

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

lorddunlow wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:50:34 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Are you planning on getting banned again? Image

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk
That's never planned, lol.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Exactly. If the question is why aren't more people visiting, the answer is because nothing is happening. People wonder how many more times this thing can be resurrected. It's hard to be excited about something that appears to have no real future.

Also, hi guys! :hi:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jmatt wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:32:58 pm
Exactly. If the question is why aren't more people visiting, the answer is because nothing is happening. People wonder how many more times this thing can be resurrected. It's hard to be excited about something that appears to have no real future.

Also, hi guys! :hi:
Hey.

Well, let's see what Alien Books does.

For me, it's not so much as who publishes them as it is about who is in charge in terms of crafting a compelling and intricate arc. Who will be in charge of their creative vision?

We've had Shooter, Layton, Nicieza, and Shamdasani. Who else has overseen VALIANT creatively?

It's when they don't really have anyone in charge of that that VALIANT suffers. When they just package comics and send them out, they're soulless.

So, ideally, Alien and/or DMG have lined up someone great to oversee whatever this is, an imprint of Alien?

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:33:42 pm We've had Shooter, Layton, Nicieza, and Shamdasani. Who else has overseen VALIANT creatively?
You're missing the last 5 years. Joseph Illidge then Heather Antos then Robert (something?). Maybe someone after that, who's in charge of X-O Unconcerned?

I consider James Perham one, although not much came of his efforts. Was Mike Marts in charge during Unity 2000? Was Jeff Gomez in charge for a bit?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:15:19 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:33:42 pm We've had Shooter, Layton, Nicieza, and Shamdasani. Who else has overseen VALIANT creatively?
You're missing the last 5 years. Joseph Illidge then Heather Antos then Robert (something?). Maybe someone after that, who's in charge of X-O Unconcerned?

I consider James Perham one, although not much came of his efforts. Was Mike Marts in charge during Unity 2000? Was Jeff Gomez in charge for a bit?
Gomez left before Nicieiza.

How long did Illidge last and what did he do? It felt like he came and went like this.

And I have no clue what Antos did, only that people hated it. No clue who Robert is.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:46:36 pm

How long did Illidge last and what did he do? It felt like he came and went like this.

And I have no clue what Antos did, only that people hated it. No clue who Robert is.
Lol no doubt. Illidge was the first EiC (or Executive Editor, whatever they were calling it) after DMG took over. They did Valiant Next (No, Valiant Beyond, I had to look it up). This was 2018

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... s-1118125/

Antos was after that, can't quite remember any specific titles, maybe Psi-Lords?

Looks like Robert Meyers was 'Senior Editorial Director' for a while, then he disappears and Lysa Hawkins is listed as Senior Editor. It's pretty confusing, some books list 3 or 4 editors when they're only putting out maybe 5 limited series? Seems crazy :?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I’m here near daily. I still buy Valiant. Yesterday, I was at 2nd Charles for the first time. Bought a VEI variant for a dollar, and a newsstand. Still digging in the boxes.

Plus, an old Milk and Cheese. Love that comic!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:46:36 pm

Was Robert the guy that showed up and launched the Kickstarter and NFTs almost right off the bat?