Knights Legacy

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord
Knights Legacy

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Hey all check out the sneak peek of the upcoming graphic novel Knights Legacy: Awakening of the Pendragon written by Michael Sacal (MotA) with art by J Andrey Portilla:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... aeab651c1c

Give it a look and like it and help him get the word out :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Knights Legacy

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Thanks!
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Man... What Happened to MarkRoseHFX?

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

lorddunlow wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:18:38 pm Man... What Happened to MarkRoseHFX?

He's on Facebook. We briefly exchanged a few words the other day.

https://www.facebook.com/MarkRoseHFX
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Ah. Facebook is the devil.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

lorddunlow wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:42:47 pm Ah. Facebook is the devil.

It's kept me connected to people, so I'm okay with it, heh.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:42:47 pm Ah. Facebook is the devil.

One of many.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Are you still planning to do a kickstarter? Single issues or graphic novels?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:57:03 pm Are you still planning to do a kickstarter? Single issues or graphic novels?
Okay, an update. Thanks for prompting. (though I touched on some of these points before here)

In the decade since I tried to do this solo, I've partnered with a company in the US called "Golden Bell Entertainment", which to date has mainly focused on tabletop games, card games, plushies, and things of that nature.

Since we first started working together, they named me editor in chief of their comic book like, which I've called "Golden Liberty Comics" in an effort to stick to a form of branding around American icons like the Statue of Liberty, Liberty Bell, Declaration of Independence, etc.

But for the pandemic, we probably would have launched a Kickstarter for the first issue of Knights' Legacy years ago, but COVID really hampered us.

I'm hopeful that things will improve in the next 18 months if not earlier and we can complete production not just on Knights' Legacy #1 but also several other comics that will be published as part of Golden Liberty.

As for KL's format, I'm hopeful it'll be as single issues, but the economics of things will ultimately determine that.

In my view, If I just drop a graphic novel into the market, it'll be swallowed whole, forgotten, and tossed aside. On the other hand, if we publish as single issues of the course of six to eight months, that can create awareness through word of mouth.

My goal, luck willing, is to have something always available every month so people don't forget us.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:06:40 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:57:03 pm Are you still planning to do a kickstarter? Single issues or graphic novels?
Okay, an update. Thanks for prompting. (though I touched on some of these points before here)

In the decade since I tried to do this solo, I've partnered with a company in the US called "Golden Bell Entertainment", which to date has mainly focused on tabletop games, card games, plushies, and things of that nature.

Since we first started working together, they named me editor in chief of their comic book like, which I've called "Golden Liberty Comics" in an effort to stick to a form of branding around American icons like the Statue of Liberty, Liberty Bell, Declaration of Independence, etc.

But for the pandemic, we probably would have launched a Kickstarter for the first issue of Knights' Legacy years ago, but COVID really hampered us.

I'm hopeful that things will improve in the next 18 months if not earlier and we can complete production not just on Knights' Legacy #1 but also several other comics that will be published as part of Golden Liberty.

As for KL's format, I'm hopeful it'll be as single issues, but the economics of things will ultimately determine that.

In my view, If I just drop a graphic novel into the market, it'll be swallowed whole, forgotten, and tossed aside. On the other hand, if we publish as single issues of the course of six to eight months, that can create awareness through word of mouth.

My goal, luck willing, is to have something always available every month so people don't forget us.
Very cool, thanks for the update.

The whole graphic novel vs single issues is definitely a dilemma when it comes to kickstarter/crowdfunding.

Like you said, doing only graphic novels makes for a long wait between installments, and it can be hard to build a fanbase with momentum that way. Not to mention more pages = more of an investment before they can be sold to get some of that money back.

Doing regular single issues creates that momentum and makes each issue's investment smaller, and hopefully the money made from each issue can be then used to create more issues and become self-sustaining.

However the problem is the crowdfund model favors the graphic novel format. Mainly because of the cost of shipping, it usually ends up being $10-20 for a single issue.

I've paid that for single issues on kickstarter before, but it can make it a stretch for people on the fence to buy the book. Ideally single issues could stay within the $5 range to compete with mainstream single issues, but crowdfunding makes that practically impossible.

I've seen both models work at times, and other times not work, so while it's certainly challenging either way it can be done.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:29:45 pm

The whole graphic novel vs single issues is definitely a dilemma when it comes to kickstarter/crowdfunding.

Like you said, doing only graphic novels makes for a long wait between installments, and it can be hard to build a fanbase with momentum that way. Not to mention more pages = more of an investment before they can be sold to get some of that money back.

Doing regular single issues creates that momentum and makes each issue's investment smaller, and hopefully the money made from each issue can be then used to create more issues and become self-sustaining.

However the problem is the crowdfund model favors the graphic novel format. Mainly because of the cost of shipping, it usually ends up being $10-20 for a single issue.

I've paid that for single issues on kickstarter before, but it can make it a stretch for people on the fence to buy the book. Ideally single issues could stay within the $5 range to compete with mainstream single issues, but crowdfunding makes that practically impossible.

I've seen both models work at times, and other times not work, so while it's certainly challenging either way it can be done.
Yeah, that is definitely a problem with the crowdfunding model.

I'm hopeful we can find a way around it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:42:51 pm

It can definitely work, the biggest hurdle might be the first issue due to lack of awareness and history. Once a few issues get produced the previous issues be offered as package deals and bundles with the current issue, then it can really build and gain momentum.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:01:28 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:42:51 pm

It can definitely work, the biggest hurdle might be the first issue due to lack of awareness and history. Once a few issues get produced the previous issues be offered as package deals and bundles with the current issue, then it can really build and gain momentum.
Absolutely. Even from the start, like say if by some miracle the first KS raised double what is needed to produce the first issue the extra can be used to produce the second.