VALIANT in Other Media

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
VALIANT in Other Media

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Hopefully Alien Books' VALIANT line will make enough noise to draw in the attention of a streaming service like Prime Video or Apple TV.

Either would be great for an Eternal Warrior series. Indeed, any of the Immortal brothers would be perfect for a streaming series.

Of the three, Archer & Amstrong might be the best option for one. It is more unique than either Eternal Warrior (too Highlander) or Timewalker (time travel has been done to death).
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: VALIANT in Other Media

Post by TheFerg714 »

Oh look, another ManofTheAtom post! :D

I think you're being kind of overly hopeful about this Alien situation, but regardless, the Anni-Padda bros. are a little too complicated and weird to be the opening movie/series. I think X-O Manowar (or Solar, if they had the rights) would be the best place to start. A&A/Eternal Warrior/Timewalker are going for a specific kind of audience, but X-O would be the most appealing to the most amount of people.
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:13:44 pm Timewalker (time travel has been done to death).
But on the other hand, multiverse sh!t is all the rage right now. :hm:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:22:45 pm Oh look, another ManofTheAtom post! :D

I think you're being kind of overly hopeful about this Alien situation, but regardless, the Anni-Padda bros. are a little too complicated and weird to be the opening movie/series. I think X-O Manowar (or Solar, if they had the rights) would be the best place to start. A&A/Eternal Warrior/Timewalker are going for a specific kind of audience, but X-O would be the most appealing to the most amount of people.
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:13:44 pm Timewalker (time travel has been done to death).
I think X-O is best reserved for film than for streaming, though. His narrative is a bit more finite, three act structure even. The Anni Padda and Archer, on the other hand, have much longer arcs.

As for the multiverse and VALIANT, that was brought up on Facebook too and I'll say what I said here; if people are buying DC's and Marvel's and Sony's multiverses, why would they buy VALIANT's?

VALIANT needs to do what those others don't, otherwise it would be as if all sodas were Pepsi.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:13:44 pm Hopefully Alien Books' VALIANT line will make enough noise to draw in the attention of a streaming service like Prime Video or Apple TV.

Either would be great for an Eternal Warrior series. Indeed, any of the Immortal brothers would be perfect for a streaming series.

Of the three, Archer & Amstrong might be the best option for one. It is more unique than either Eternal Warrior (too Highlander) or Timewalker (time travel has been done to death).
Archer & Armstrong always seems like it would be perfect for a TV series, but at the same time the comic never seems to be that popular. I think it's a tricky concept to pull off, needs just the right balance of action and humor.

The Old Guard looks like it beat Immortal brothers to Netflix too. I've never read the comic or seen the movie, but it seems very similar in concept. Just like how the Snake Eyes movie probably soured any studio from diving into a big budget Ninjak movie.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:33:09 pm
TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:22:45 pm Oh look, another ManofTheAtom post! :D

I think X-O is best reserved for film than for streaming, though. His narrative is a bit more finite, three act structure even. The Anni Padda and Archer, on the other hand, have much longer arcs.

As for the multiverse and VALIANT, that was brought up on Facebook too and I'll say what I said here; if people are buying DC's and Marvel's and Sony's multiverses, why would they buy VALIANT's?

VALIANT needs to do what those others don't, otherwise it would be as if all sodas were Pepsi.
To pull off a good X-O would be very FX heavy and very expensive. I agree it would make an awesome movie though.

I would love to see a Harbinger series done well. It could be a lot cheaper and would depend more on sharp writing and good acting. Only problem is the basic concept has already been done in movies and TV a ton of times.

Solar movie/series based on A&A and Second Death would be amazing. Too bad Dreamworks owns the character. If I remember correctly.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:21:27 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:33:09 pm

To pull off a good X-O would be very FX heavy and very expensive. I agree it would make an awesome movie though.

I would love to see a Harbinger series done well. It could be a lot cheaper and would depend more on sharp writing and good acting. Only problem is the basic concept has already been done in movies and TV a ton of times.

Solar movie/series based on A&A and Second Death would be amazing. Too bad Dreamworks owns the character. If I remember correctly.
Indeed.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:17:50 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:13:44 pm Hopefully Alien Books' VALIANT line will make enough noise to draw in the attention of a streaming service like Prime Video or Apple TV.

Archer & Armstrong always seems like it would be perfect for a TV series, but at the same time the comic never seems to be that popular. I think it's a tricky concept to pull off, needs just the right balance of action and humor.

The Old Guard looks like it beat Immortal brothers to Netflix too. I've never read the comic or seen the movie, but it seems very similar in concept. Just like how the Snake Eyes movie probably soured any studio from diving into a big budget Ninjak movie.
I never read the comic either. It was a decent movie, though.

JCP
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

An X-O movie seems like an obvious choice, but to have a shot would need a huge budget no studio is willing to put up. Honestly, a Shadowman movie might work very well on a smaller budget and could be the IP that gets Valiant’s foot in the door post-Bloodshot.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:43:20 pm

There's a second one coming out too. Cool I might have to give it a watch. Just sucks that it sounds so similar to EW/Immortal bros.

I remember Chronicle feeling a lot like a Harbinger movie. There've been others too, I'm not that knowledgeable about movies though. Having said that, I do think Harbinger or any of the properties could work if they do it well.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

JCP wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:05:26 pm An X-O movie seems like an obvious choice, but to have a shot would need a huge budget no studio is willing to put up. Honestly, a Shadowman movie might work very well on a smaller budget and could be the IP that gets Valiant’s foot in the door post-Bloodshot.
Most definitely, that would be super cool. But which Shadowman do you go with?

VH1 Jack had a long and fan-favorite run, the Zero version is probably the most well-known by non-comic fans due to the video game, and VEI Jack is the most recent. :hm:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

JCP wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:05:26 pm An X-O movie seems like an obvious choice, but to have a shot would need a huge budget no studio is willing to put up. Honestly, a Shadowman movie might work very well on a smaller budget and could be the IP that gets Valiant’s foot in the door post-Bloodshot.
Definitely.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:08:01 pm

VH1 Jack had a long and fan-favorite run, the Zero version is probably the most well-known by non-comic fans due to the video game, and VEI Jack is the most recent. :hm:
Jack Boniface for sure. Zero is just too generic. and far too removed from the real world.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:05:38 pm

There's a second one coming out too. Cool I might have to give it a watch. Just sucks that it sounds so similar to EW/Immortal bros.

I remember Chronicle feeling a lot like a Harbinger movie. There've been others too, I'm not that knowledgeable about movies though. Having said that, I do think Harbinger or any of the properties could work if they do it well.
Hopefully Paramount will make that movie.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

To keep it low budget, I would personally go with VH1 Jack. I always loved the way Bob Hall did it, he made Jack the straight man in a world where crazy stuff keeps happening to him. I was never as into when they go full Voodoo Fantasy with Deadside and all that, plus that would be a lot more expensive.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:12:35 pm
Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:08:01 pm

Jack Boniface for sure. Zero is just too generic. and far too removed from the real world.
hah I was writing at the same time, agree with that.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:13:05 pm

That would be cool. I think it would work great as a series though. Those early issues (VH1) work so well because the characters were so well written and their interactions felt so real. A streaming series would let the stories and characters breathe. I always thought it was a mistake to kill Torque, even though it was shocking and made it feel like no one was safe, the contrast of Torque and Sting was really the heart of those early issues IMO.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:14:23 pm To keep it low budget, I would personally go with VH1 Jack. I always loved the way Bob Hall did it, he made Jack the straight man in a world where crazy stuff keeps happening to him. I was never as into when they go full Voodoo Fantasy with Deadside and all that, plus that would be a lot more expensive.
Agreed. It's just too much for me. Jack works best grounded in reality.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:19:42 pm

That would be cool. I think it would work great as a series though. Those early issues (VH1) work so well because the characters were so well written and their interactions felt so real. A streaming series would let the stories and characters breathe. I always thought it was a mistake to kill Torque, even though it was shocking and made it feel like no one was safe, the contrast of Torque and Sting was really the heart of those early issues IMO.
I think Harbinger had trouble keeping momentum after Shooter left (not that the stories were bad, they were good). I do worry a series might be too similar to Mutant X and The Gifted at this point.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:40:25 am

I think Harbinger had trouble keeping momentum after Shooter left (not that the stories were bad, they were good). I do worry a series might be too similar to Mutant X and The Gifted at this point.
For sure, losing Torque was part of the problem but after Shooter left it really lost the magic of those early issues.

Chronicle had a budget of only 15 million, so I think Harby could be done pretty cheaply. But the whole superpowered teens running from the government has been done a lot at this point.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:54:18 am

For sure, losing Torque was part of the problem but after Shooter left it really lost the magic of those early issues.

Chronicle had a budget of only 15 million, so I think Harby could be done pretty cheaply. But the whole superpowered teens running from the government has been done a lot at this point.
Exactly. It's generic at this point. Archer & Armstrong is one of the very unique concepts VALIANT has.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:56:47 am

Exactly. It's generic at this point. Archer & Armstrong is one of the very unique concepts VALIANT has.
I think that's what's so intriguing about A&A. Most of the VALIANT concepts were pretty generic, just executed really well. A&A has always felt fresh. Although the comedy element does make it different in tone from the rest of the universe.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:02:10 am

I think that's what's so intriguing about A&A. Most of the VALIANT concepts were pretty generic, just executed really well. A&A has always felt fresh. Although the comedy element does make it different in tone from the rest of the universe.
Indeed.

I thought the VEI run was okay but the humor probably got out of hand at one point. I'd like a new comic and, certainly, a series, to be more serious like the Windsor-Smith original. Though there is always room for humor, specially from Armstrong.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:14:32 am

Indeed.

I thought the VEI run was okay but the humor probably got out of hand at one point. I'd like a new comic and, certainly, a series, to be more serious like the Windsor-Smith original. Though there is always room for humor, specially from Armstrong.
Yup, it needs to be real action-adventure with comic relief from Armstrong playing off of Archer's earnestness and naivete. It doesn't mean it's a slapstick or goofball comedy.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:40:25 am I think Harbinger had trouble keeping momentum after Shooter left (not that the stories were bad, they were good). I do worry a series might be too similar to Mutant X and The Gifted at this point.
Stay your tongue! I have watched all of Mutant X, all 66 episodes. That show fell off a cliff hard when they lost villainous Andy Warhol.

Mutant X is a good point of reference when trying to describe the poor quality of the DMG books of the last 5 years, though. :hm:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:18:53 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:14:32 am

Indeed.

Yup, it needs to be real action-adventure with comic relief from Armstrong playing off of Archer's earnestness and naivete. It doesn't mean it's a slapstick or goofball comedy.
Exactly.