pierce is out.. shooters coming back with alien

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
pierce is out.. shooters coming back with alien

Post by valiantdude »

true story

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: pierce is out.. shooters coming back with alien

Post by Chiclo »

This… this could be interesting, Dude.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:39:33 pmtrue story
Source?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Go on…<Jon Stewart voice>
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Is this also from the source regarding the counterfeit comics? Just asking.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

JCP
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

:funnypost:
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

The Chosen 1
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

greg wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:12:48 pm Image
That was probably the last thing that photographer saw, before the drop bear attacked.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

This obviously isn't true, but it's not like this would be good news if it was. I know I'm not the only person to have read his god awful Dark Horse Gold Key line.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:19:08 pm This obviously isn't true, but it's not like this would be good news if it was. I know I'm not the only person to have read his god awful Dark Horse Gold Key line.
To be fair, he was probably hampered at Dark Horse and couldn't draw past the lines of what they licensed from whoever owned those characters at the time. Clearly, at least with Magnus, he was replicating the tone of old Gold Key, something he didn't do at VALIANT.

The origin of Doctor Solar backups did look fantastic, and had lots of potential.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Lol I love it, board activity is up and now we have spicy "shooter is coming back with alien" rumors, it's like old times :thumb:

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:19:08 pm This obviously isn't true, but it's not like this would be good news if it was. I know I'm not the only person to have read his god awful Dark Horse Gold Key line.
Even as a fan, I wouldn't defend the DH GK stuff as being great comics. But to say it wouldn't be good news for the guy who orchestrated VALIANT's creation and success (and created a lot of the plotlines that early VEI used) and edited Marvel's peak years of the 80s to come back as editor is pretty harsh. As if Heather Antos or the Lion Forge guy were more qualified.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:53:38 pm Lol I love it, board activity is up and now we have spicy "shooter is coming back with alien" rumors, it's like old times :thumb:

Even as a fan, I wouldn't defend the DH GK stuff as being great comics. But to say it wouldn't be good news for the guy who orchestrated VALIANT's creation and success (and created a lot of the plotlines that early VEI used) and edited Marvel's peak years of the 80s to come back as editor is pretty harsh. As if Heather Antos or the Lion Forge guy were more qualified.
That's quite a wild jump from Shooter to Antos/Lion Forge guy, but okay.

I just don't see any evidence to suggest that Shooter could do anything good with the Valiant U. I mean we literally saw him try a smaller version of a reboot, and it fell on it's face. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely try it out, but I see no reason to be excited for a hypothetical Shooter-led Valiant. I appreciate Shooter for creating Valiant (and I said that to his face a month ago), but the fact of the matter is that he is not the same creator that he was in the 80's/90's.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:53:38 pm Lol I love it, board activity is up and now we have spicy "shooter is coming back with alien" rumors, it's like old times :thumb:
:lol:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:05:44 pm That's quite a wild jump from Shooter to Antos/Lion Forge guy, but okay.

I just don't see any evidence to suggest that Shooter could do anything good with the Valiant U. I mean we literally saw him try a smaller version of a reboot, and it fell on it's face. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely try it out, but I see no reason to be excited for a hypothetical Shooter-led Valiant. I appreciate Shooter for creating Valiant (and I said that to his face a month ago), but the fact of the matter is that he is not the same creator that he was in the 80's/90's.
Fair enough. I would also be more excited if he returned in an editor role and not writing all the titles. I think the DH line would have been better if Shooter had just been the editor overseeing the titles instead of writing them all.
Last edited by Ryan on Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:15:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:12:49 pm
Fair enough. I would also be more excited if he returned in an editor role and not writing all the titles. I think the DH line would have been better if Shooter had just been the editor overseeing the titles instead of writing them all.
That's probably true. I also felt like the artwork (for the most part) was pretty lackluster. Did you ever read the Samson series? How was it? I just read the Solar/Magnus/Turok stuff a while back, and was not impressed, so couldn't find the motivation to try Samson.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:14:51 pm
That's probably true. I also felt like the artwork (for the most part) was pretty lackluster. Did you ever read the Samson series? How was it? I just read the Solar/Magnus/Turok stuff a while back, and was not impressed, so couldn't find the motivation to try Samson.
The Solar origin back ups had great art, though.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yeah that's what I mean, one of the big problems was the editor picked some weird artists that didn't mesh with Shooter's writing style and also got way behind schedule. I'm the same, I think I only read the first issue or so of Samson and lost interest lol. I did like Turok alright and wanted to see where it would go after the first 4 issues, and like MOTA said the best part was probably the Solar origin backup story in the last 4 issues.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:17:24 pm
Yes, and the story felt more like vintage Shooter IIRC, haven't re-read those since they came out.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:21:47 pm
Yes, and the story felt more like vintage Shooter IIRC, haven't re-read those since they came out.
Same.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Definitely agree with both of you. I really enjoyed the Solar back-ups as well. Solar definitely had the best artwork overall, but Turok was the best story imo, although that's not saying much tbh.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:21:47 pm
Same.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:24:18 pm Definitely agree with both of you. I really enjoyed the Solar back-ups as well. Solar definitely had the best artwork overall, but Turok was the best story imo, although that's not saying much tbh.
I don't recall checking out Turok. Mighty Thor or whatever it was called and the very Silver Age-in-tone Magnus were huge turn offs.

Solar got better as it went, but didn't really start too strongly.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:28:25 pm
TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:24:18 pm Definitely agree with both of you. I really enjoyed the Solar back-ups as well. Solar definitely had the best artwork overall, but Turok was the best story imo, although that's not saying much tbh.
I don't recall checking out Turok. Mighty Thor or whatever it was called and the very Silver Age-in-tone Magnus were huge turn offs.

Turok was cool, I've always wanted to see an updated version of the original Turok, not a TINO (Turok in Name Only :lol: ). They had a young artist from South America (I think) who was good but not very experienced so he got really far behind and I think there was like 6 months or more between issue 1 and 2. Then they brought in James Harren for issues 3 and 4, he's a very good artist but it looked like he had to do the issues in a couple weeks so they felt a bit rushed. A good Lost Land story was brewing though, would have really loved to see where it went in future issues.

Anyway back on topic, what's this about Shooter hanging out with aliens? :hm:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:39:33 pm

Turok was cool, I've always wanted to see an updated version of the original Turok, not a TINO (Turok in Name Only :lol: ). They had a young artist from South America (I think) who was good but not very experienced so he got really far behind and I think there was like 6 months or more between issue 1 and 2. Then they brought in James Harren for issues 3 and 4, he's a very good artist but it looked like he had to do the issues in a couple weeks so they felt a bit rushed. A good Lost Land story was brewing though, would have really loved to see where it went in future issues.

Probably fake news, heh.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:46:50 pm
Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:39:33 pm

Probably fake news, heh.
:lol: