Question About VH1 XO Manowar Finale...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jcdenton
My posts can all fit in a short box
Question About VH1 XO Manowar Finale...

Post by jcdenton »

As presumably everyone knows by now, the final issue revealed that everything after issue 0 was basically a dream; but since the XO Manowar series is a part of the VH1 continuity, doesn't that mean all other issues of every VH1 series since that point were also a dream? Was this ever addressed in any kind of way after that issue was published (which I realize was near the demise of VH1)?
Last edited by jcdenton on Tue May 16, 2023 11:02:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Question About VH1 XO Manowar Finale...

Post by Chiclo »

Are you talking about the old X-O Manowar #68 from the 90s?

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton »

Chiclo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:53:03 am Are you talking about the old X-O Manowar #68 from the 90s?
Yes

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

jcdenton wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:46:48 am As presumably everyone knows by now, the final issue revealed that everything after issue 0 was basically a dream; but since the XO Manowar series is a part of the VH1 continuity, doesn't that mean all other issues of every VH1 series since that point were also a dream? Was this ever addressed in any kind of way after that issue was published (which I realize was near the demise of VH1)?
It's the last issue of VH1 continuity I think. I never got the Iron Man/XO crossover though so that might have something. I think it was a way to leave the continuity open-ended, it could also be wiped out by saying Aric was hallucinating under the influence of the villain (can't remember her name).

I always took it as a way for whoever came next to decide what to do with the continuity. It was an easy way to erase big chunks of continuity with a built-in explanation, if that's what the next people wanted to do. Instead the next versions of VALIANT have just ignored VH1 continuity completely.

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton »

Ah thanks, I didn't realize it was actually the very last VH1 issue. Anyway I had always figured it only "wiped out" the XO series, but then it occurred to me that it would have to also impact much (if not all) of the other VH1 series as well, basically the Valiant equivalent of the Tommy Westphall universe hypothesis.

BTW I had also always heard the rumor that the XO ending was basically an FU from Bob Layton to the Valiant ownership, but as you noted, it seems that--if anything--that ending was doing them a favor by making the assets more flexible for the future owners; is there any truth to that?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jcdenton wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:21:43 pm Ah thanks, I didn't realize it was actually the very last VH1 issue. Anyway I had always figured it only "wiped out" the XO series, but then it occurred to me that it would have to also impact much (if not all) of the other VH1 series as well, basically the Valiant equivalent of the Tommy Westphall universe hypothesis.

BTW I had also always heard the rumor that the XO ending was basically an FU from Bob Layton to the Valiant ownership, but as you noted, it seems that--if anything--that ending was doing them a favor by making the assets more flexible for the future owners; is there any truth to that?
I always thought with the last page of X-O 68 being the same splash as X-O 1, it was like a reset button on the whole universe. In my own mind it felt like Layton was admitting he screwed the pooch and was trying to give the Valiant universe back undamaged :lol:

Good question, I know that Layton worked on Doctor Tomorrow for Acclaim a year or so after X-O. Some of the higher-ups might have cashed out by then, I don't know. There've been a lot of good discussions and theories about X-O 68 in years past on this forum, it's been a while though.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:29:37 am it could also be wiped out by saying Aric was hallucinating under the influence of the villain (can't remember her name).
Crescendo? I remember some theories about how she might have had Aric in some sort of VR unit? Is this ringing any bells? Might need to dig up some old threads. I always liked those last 3 or so X-O issues compared to how it had been since B*rthquake, need to pull them out for a re-read.

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

Believe The Iron Max/XO crossover is the last issue of VH1. If I remember correctly it reboots the universe. How that intertwines with X-O 68 is up in the air.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

1st Among Equals wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:02:01 am Believe The Iron Max/XO crossover is the last issue of VH1. If I remember correctly it reboots the universe. How that intertwines with X-O 68 is up in the air.
That crossover is more a "What if...?!?" like story which, of course, could also be said of the final issue(s) of the original X-O run (68).

Mistress Crescendo is part of both story lines so there's a connection between the end of the original run and Heavy Metal.

However, it was only used to advertise the video game of the same name.

And there's no connection between Heavy Metal and the following Acclaim run.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

XO ending the way it did seemed almost like an apology for killing off Ken and Randy. Because everything from Crescendo's introduction to that final issue was hot garbage. I will never understand why Acclaim so thoroughly broke a comic that was already doing extremely well.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

armlessphelan wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:59:21 pm XO ending the way it did seemed almost like an apology for killing off Ken and Randy. Because everything from Crescendo's introduction to that final issue was hot garbage. I will never understand why Acclaim so thoroughly broke a comic that was already doing extremely well.
Shock value. So much of post-Unity is about destroying what had been built for shock value and the bump of attention they would get. They had almost become a one trick pony at that point.