Bad Idea are clearly doing X-O Manowar right?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Bad Idea are clearly doing X-O Manowar right?

Post by syzhang28 »

The Megalith comic looks like they are doing an X-O Manowar. Kind of like Divinity was their solar right? Anyway, it looks cool and the kickstarter starts next week so we'll see what the story is then. The cover of the book definitely looks to me like its something from the Planet Death storyline: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... mic-stores

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa
Re: Bad Idea are clearly doing X-O Manowar right?

Post by unityshadowman »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:22:41 pm The Megalith comic looks like they are doing an X-O Manowar. Kind of like Divinity was their solar right? Anyway, it looks cool and the kickstarter starts next week so we'll see what the story is then. The cover of the book definitely looks to me like its something from the Planet Death storyline: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... mic-stores

It certainly does have some X-O similarities from some of the promo art. Really looking forward to this!

I hope there's a B&W version offered too. The art is just gorgeous, and I can't remember a book in recent memory where I was more jazzed to see. LaRosa's talent never ceases to amaze. Hoping we get a chance to see this story in a sketch form offering, as well as and in color, which is what it looks like we'll get. The beauty/attention to detail with the colored work is jaw dropping...kinda reminds me of some of Linsner's early work.
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

unityshadowman wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:51:05 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:22:41 pm The Megalith comic looks like they are doing an X-O Manowar. Kind of like Divinity was their solar right? Anyway, it looks cool and the kickstarter starts next week so we'll see what the story is then. The cover of the book definitely looks to me like its something from the Planet Death storyline: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... mic-stores

It certainly does have some X-O similarities from some of the promo art. Really looking forward to this!

I hope there's a B&W version offered too. The art is just gorgeous, and I can't remember a book in recent memory where I was more jazzed to see. LaRosa's talent never ceases to amaze. Hoping we get a chance to see this story in a sketch form offering, as well as and in color, which is what it looks like we'll get. The beauty/attention to detail with the colored work is jaw dropping...kinda reminds me of some of Linsner's early work.
I also love larosa's work and I also prefer it in black and white
The colored versions water down the art to my eye

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

I usually agree but these are stunning. I think these look better in color. Have you seen these as black and white? I'll try and find them

corey

Post by corey »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:02:33 pm I usually agree but these are stunning. I think these look better in color. Have you seen these as black and white? I'll try and find them
I have seen 2 of these in B&W

Not all of them though

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:02:33 pm I usually agree but these are stunning. I think these look better in color. Have you seen these as black and white? I'll try and find them
Also a big fan of Larosa here!! I think the colour work over his art for this book is absolutely exceptional and does nothing but enhance his stuff.

There have been colourists in the past who have not done nearly so well at that. And beyond the passing similarity in colour scheme, I have not been getting an XO vibe from this as yet.

I pledged on KS for the hardcover edition of the series yesterday - very excited to finally see & read this one in print!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

The more art they release the better this looks

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

:rant: facepalm
I Miss the good old days.

unityshadowman
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

I pulled my pledge for this (and it was a HIGH Tier...was even going to upgrade to the Tier 18 ($3500)). If anyone has dealt with Bad Idea via any non Kickstarter offerings (Illuminati emails), I hope you had a better experience than me: ZERO response, absent/poor customer service after a purchase (never received the items), so my pursuit of a refund continues and my journey has come to an end with Bad Idea.
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

corey

Post by corey »

unityshadowman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:18:29 am I pulled my pledge for this (and it was a HIGH Tier...was even going to upgrade to the Tier 18 ($3500)). If anyone has dealt with Bad Idea via any non Kickstarter offerings (Illuminati emails), I hope you had a better experience than me: ZERO response, absent/poor customer service after a purchase (never received the items), so my pursuit of a refund continues and my journey has come to an end with Bad Idea.
Dang that sucks man. I hope it works out for you though

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

They’ve made so much $$$ off of this Kickstarter—over $365,000—one has to wonder how much they could make through normal distribution methods. Obviously that’s extremely successful, but all that cash comes from only 1600 backers. Seems like they could reach a larger audience and still make that much or more. Idk, I’ve always thought their choice of distribution was purposely limiting and elitist. Even with this Kickstarter as an option, I’m not about to spend hundreds of dollars to read this entire series.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

BugsySig wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:23:33 pm They’ve made so much $$$ off of this Kickstarter—over $365,000—one has to wonder how much they could make through normal distribution methods. Obviously that’s extremely successful, but all that cash comes from only 1600 backers. Seems like they could reach a larger audience and still make that much or more. Idk, I’ve always thought their choice of distribution was purposely limiting and elitist. Even with this Kickstarter as an option, I’m not about to spend hundreds of dollars to read this entire series.
They could still release a regular edition hardcover at some point. I don't necessarily think they will, however, only the SILVER and RED HOLOGRAM edition hardcovers as well as the individual chapters are said to be strictly limited by the number of backers.

Another (elitist again) option would be to include such regular edition hardcover in certain tiers of a potential MEGALITH II kickstarter. Of course, that MEGALITH II PREVIEW issue that's included in some tiers of this campaign doesn't necessarily have to say anything about future chapters and another campaign. Just an idea that comes to mind. Otherwise it would be difficult to attract brand new readers and backers.

As for spending "hundreds of dollars", though, I think you only needed to spend $125 for the Complete Hardcover incl. all 9 chapters (#0 + eight).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:42:43 am
BugsySig wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:23:33 pm They’ve made so much $$$ off of this Kickstarter—over $365,000—one has to wonder how much they could make through normal distribution methods. Obviously that’s extremely successful, but all that cash comes from only 1600 backers. Seems like they could reach a larger audience and still make that much or more. Idk, I’ve always thought their choice of distribution was purposely limiting and elitist. Even with this Kickstarter as an option, I’m not about to spend hundreds of dollars to read this entire series.
They could still release a regular edition hardcover at some point. I don't necessarily think they will, however, only the SILVER and RED HOLOGRAM edition hardcovers as well as the individual chapters are said to be strictly limited by the number of backers.

Another (elitist again) option would be to include such regular edition hardcover in certain tiers of a potential MEGALITH II kickstarter. Of course, that MEGALITH II PREVIEW issue that's included in some tiers of this campaign doesn't necessarily have to say anything about future chapters and another campaign. Just an idea that comes to mind. Otherwise it would be difficult to attract brand new readers and backers.

As for spending "hundreds of dollars", though, I think you only needed to spend $125 for the Complete Hardcover incl. all 9 chapters (#0 + eight).
And if those same 9 books were in a shop, even at $4.99 each, that’s less than $50.

Sunlight on Snow

:funnypost:

Sunlight on Snow

They're WAVE 2 PART 1 pricing range already was $7.99 to $9.99! :lol:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:04:48 am They're WAVE 2 PART 1 pricing range already was $7.99 to $9.99! :lol:
Still less than $125 and could sell far more.

Sunlight on Snow

BugsySig wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:10:12 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:04:48 am They're WAVE 2 PART 1 pricing range already was $7.99 to $9.99! :lol:
Sure, but you can also just read and flip the hardcover collection without much of a loss.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:11:31 am
BugsySig wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:10:12 am
Sure, but you can also just read and flip the hardcover collection without much of a loss.
I’m not in the reselling business. If I buy it, it’s because I want it.

Oh yeah, and that $125 doesn’t include shipping :thumb: