Bob Hall signing new Shadowman work?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Bob Hall signing new Shadowman work?

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Beautiful and awesome indeed! :thumb:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Agreed!

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Thanks magnusr and al583 and Sunlight on Snow and nycjadie,

While starting to draw the above Shadowman cover sketch for me, Bob Hall asked me if I would like the older VEI style Shadowman with the “tight body suit”…..or, the latest Shadowman with the “jacket.” I told him that I would be fine with whatever he drew as long as he had the scythe (sickle) weapon.

He ended up drawing him just as he did in the current Free Comic Book Day Shadowman comic book.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Very nice! Congrats Juki! :clap:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Whoa great pic and sketch, Juki :thumb:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

I have a series of a few pics as to how Bob Hall drew this commission that I will post:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

First he sketches with a pencil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Then he draws over the pencil with ink.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Then he would color in larger areas using the side of his marker (being careful to leave smaller white areas from the comic cover uncolored for detail). He would set aside and let some of these areas dry before doing it again in other spots. I believe this was to keep bleeding of the ink … or smearing to a minimum.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Then he sat it aside “to totally dry” before erasing extra pencil marks from the initial rough pencil sketch.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Then he added a little more detail and signed.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for sharing dude, Bob is looking good.

At the shop I went to Valiant FCBD's were already all gone, so I'll have to hear how it is from you guys.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

One thing I forgot to mention when I met Bob Hall for the above sketch…..

I HOPE DMG VALIANT IS READING THIS !!! :

Bob Hall said he enjoyed writing and drawing this short story for FCBD as an ad to help promote this upcoming new Shadowman video game. Everything he did in this short story was under the parameters of what will be in the game. But, more importantly, he said he was very open to write and/or draw Shadowman for Valiant if they ever do another Shadowman comic series. He actually said he would “love to do it.”Now, he did mention that Valiant has not asked him to do anything else (this was just a one time job for the free comic book day event). But, he was excited to revisit Shadowman after all these years; and , he seemed to want to continue if Valiant were to approach him with a job for a new comic book.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Juki wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48:56 pm One thing I forgot to mention when I met Bob Hall for the above sketch…..

Bob Hall said he enjoyed writing and drawing this short story for FCBD as an ad to help promote this upcoming new Shadowman video game. Everything he did in this short story was under the parameters of what will be in the game. But, more importantly, he said he was very open to write and/or draw Shadowman for Valiant if they ever do another Shadowman comic series. He actually said he would “love to do it.”Now, he did mention that Valiant has not asked him to do anything else (this was just a one time job for the free comic book day event). But, he was excited to revisit Shadowman after all these years; and , he seemed to want to continue if Valiant were to approach him with a job for a new comic book.
Make it happen! He just gets the character and setting. His Shadowman run was the longest and most consistent of VH1 by far. At the very least I'd love to see a kickstarter graphic novel where he could go back and finish his VH1 Jack story. A new series would be even better, even if it's with the new Shadowman.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Ryan wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:43:07 am
Juki wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48:56 pm One thing I forgot to mention when I met Bob Hall for the above sketch…..

Make it happen! He just gets the character and setting. His Shadowman run was the longest and most consistent of VH1 by far. At the very least I'd love to see a kickstarter graphic novel where he could go back and finish his VH1 Jack story. A new series would be even better, even if it's with the new Shadowman.
That would actually be a *perfect* project for Kickstarter. Make it happen! Original Unity omnibus and a Unity 2000 hardcover with the final chapters completed would also be amazing Kickstarter projects if the licensing could be worked out.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

GammaJosh wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:17:26 am

That would actually be a *perfect* project for Kickstarter. Make it happen! Original Unity omnibus and a Unity 2000 hardcover with the final chapters completed would also be amazing Kickstarter projects if the licensing could be worked out.
+100

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

That is so cool! I love Hall's work. I wish I could land a commission from him - but it wouldn't be Shadowman. I love to take artists I love and put them out of their element. James O'Barr did and Iron Man commission for me once instead of The Crow - it was incredible.

You'd imagine that I would ask Sean Chen to draw Iron Man as well, but he produced one of the coolest Quasar drawings for me likely ever put to paper and that is no exaggeration.

I would be ecstatic for guys like Bernard Chang and Bob Hall to do stuff like that...

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

What did Bob charge for the cover commission?
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

IMJ wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:59:03 am That is so cool! I love Hall's work. I wish I could land a commission from him - but it wouldn't be Shadowman. I love to take artists I love and put them out of their element. James O'Barr did and Iron Man commission for me once instead of The Crow - it was incredible.

You'd imagine that I would ask Sean Chen to draw Iron Man as well, but he produced one of the coolest Quasar drawings for me likely ever put to paper and that is no exaggeration.

I would be ecstatic for guys like Bernard Chang and Bob Hall to do stuff like that...
Nice!…. IMJ, You are more adventurous than me… LOL. I like to try and get the character the artist is known for and get a nice drawing (even though I have only gotten a few sketches done).
Last edited by Juki on Thu May 25, 2023 4:40:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

JCP wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:37:24 pm What did Bob charge for the cover commission?
JCP,

Basically he undercharged me at a price of $160.00.

Let me explain:

When I asked for the sketch he asked “What kind of sketch would you like?” I told him “Shadowman with his scythe.” He then said a torso with face is $160.00 and a full body is $200.00. I asked which he thought would be best as all I wanted was something with Shadowman that looked cool. He ended up saying he would do a torso….but when he started he said he would do a full body instead. So, he charged me $160.00.

I’ve always been baffled by the sketch pricing in general. If you look at the original art for sale on boards in the above pictures they were $60.00 each. If you draw that same art on a comic book the price starts at $160.00? :? Are legs and feet really that difficult to draw? And when you do a full body everything is smaller (like the head) and usually less detailed than a torso.

Then, of course, most artists charge significantly more for additional characters, backgrounds, etc.

You can go to Bob Hall’s website and see his pricing. I did just that beforehand.
Last edited by Juki on Thu May 25, 2023 5:02:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:20:38 pm
IMJ wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:59:03 am That is so cool! I love Hall's work. I wish I could land a commission from him - but it wouldn't be Shadowman. I love to take artists I love and put them out of their element. James O'Barr did and Iron Man commission for me once instead of The Crow - it was incredible.

Nice!…. IMJ, You are more adventurous than me… LOL. I like to try and get the character the artist is known for and get a nice drawing (even though I have only gotten a few sketches done).

For instance, being a Valiant fan…. I had to have Shadowman by Bob Hall.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

We talked about that too. He said he always wanted to continue the story from the original run (and told me his idea to getting Jack out of free fall). He said Dinesh wasn't too interested in going "retro" with the characters, but the new owners actually seem more open to that. I hope it happens. Bob Hall doing an ongoing Shadowman, continuing from where he left off, would probably be the only thing getting me back to buying a new comic book.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Heath wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:56:23 pm He said Dinesh wasn't too interested in going "retro" with the characters, but the new owners actually seem more open to that.
I will never not believe that it was a missed opportunity by VEI to not bring in more "retro" elements. Not arguing for going completely retro, but a better understanding of what actually made Valiant unique and super popular for that short period of time between 91-93.

Look at Street Fighter 6. They keep making it more modern for current gamers and add depth without ever abandoning the core "retro" gameplay from Street Fighter 2 that makes it what it is. They properly identified what it was that essential to the Street Fighter experience, that made it super popular in 1991 and they build on that. If they thought it was just the characters, or the plot lines, or the style that made Street Fighter popular, they could do all sorts of different kinds of games with modern technology. But no, they know the core of what makes SF unique and special and they keep recreating it for new and old audiences.
Heath wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:56:23 pm Bob Hall doing an ongoing Shadowman, continuing from where he left off, would probably be the only thing getting me back to buying a new comic book.
Hear, hear. How about Jim Shooter and David Lapham doing a Harbinger comic while we're at it.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

+1000 to all that!

Marvel has been recognizing over the years that fully retro books are a thing people are interested in buying - stuff like XMen Lost Years, Ghost Rider by Howard Mackie, the Hulk Maestro mini-series (that was meant to be just one set of 5 issues but ended up being 15 altogether due to good sales)… if it can work on occasion for them, I like to think that it can work for Valiant too - and Shadowman would be a prime candidate, in my opinion!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;