What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Cyberstrike »

At the moment: none.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote:I recently read the first two trades of Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat and am now reading The Immortal Iron Fist. Mostly grabbed those because of them being available on Kindle Unlimited.
Finished the first two trades of Immortal Iron Fist (equivalent to issues 1-6, 8-14 and the first annual). I liked the art a lot, and the first six issues were pretty strong; but the second trade drug on a bit and was mostly hit or miss. There are three more trades in the series which I would read if Marvel has another major sale through Comixology, but I'm not chomping at the bit to finish the story. Just started Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (since I can get it through KU).

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Cyberstrike wrote:At the moment: none.
Cool story, bro. :P
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:At the moment: none.
Cool story, bro. :P

:? :P

Going to spend my Sunday afternoon chilling in the house and going through More Grendel stuff :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: (The Incubation Years and the beginning of the Eppy Thatcher story) , thanks to my buddy here. A Public Huge modafreagging Hug of gratitude from this dude, J.

:high-five: THANK YOU!!!!!!!! :high-five:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:Going to spend my Sunday afternoon chilling in the house and going through More Grendel stuff :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: (The Incubation Years and the beginning of the Eppy Thatcher story) , thanks to my buddy here. A Public Huge modafreagging Hug of gratitude from this dude, J.

:high-five:

Enjoy, dude!!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:Going to spend my Sunday afternoon chilling in the house and going through More Grendel stuff :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: (The Incubation Years and the beginning of the Eppy Thatcher story) , thanks to my buddy here. A Public Huge modafreagging Hug of gratitude from this dude, J.

:high-five:

Enjoy, dude!!
Also, I guess I'd better get the next bundle ready to send out to you soon - you're gonna be chomping at the bit to finish the rest of the E.T. story after this :wink:

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

Pumpkinhead from dynamite it's actually very solid. Got issue 2 and 3 and about to read 4 and it's turning kinda action based thanks to the new concepts they introduced. Which is the simple fact that there are more demons like pumpkinhead out there.

Also Shattered Grid from the power rangers event is now moving forward fast and is getting so much better. OG red with the dragon shield teaming up with female samurai red and the RPM rangers against Drakkon and his forces which have a lot of evil rangers now.
I hope Harbinger Wars 2 ends up as good as this one for event of the year.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote:
Finished the first two trades of Immortal Iron Fist (equivalent to issues 1-6, 8-14 and the first annual). I liked the art a lot, and the first six issues were pretty strong; but the second trade drug on a bit and was mostly hit or miss. There are three more trades in the series which I would read if Marvel has another major sale through Comixology, but I'm not chomping at the bit to finish the story. Just started Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (since I can get it through KU).
I thought Iron Fist was okay and this particular Guardians of the Galaxy trade was pretty uninteresting and bland. Back to reading Saga now, but I also picked up the first trade in the Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

Crossgen's Brath. Awesome so far.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote: Back to reading Saga now, but I also picked up the first trade in the Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction.
I was not a huge fan of this Hawkeye series, but I've heard the second volume is better so may give it a try. I liked the artwork by David Aja in Iron First, but pretty much hated it here (I think Fraction had way too many pages with too many panels which didn't let Aja's work shine). It was also annoying that there were characters who used the word "Bro" twice in every sentence. It was clearly an attempt at humor... it just didn't work.

I've now finished the first 3 trades of Saga and have the next two. I also picked up the first two volumes of Jessica Jones: Alias (from the 2001-03 run).

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

I'm now nearly caught up on the last 4 months'-worth of Valiant, and that's been a fun experience, powering through all that stuff at once :D

Shadowman isn't epic, but is at that same level of enjoyable that it was when it first came out, as I think the overall plot is pretty similar so far. XO Manowar has, on the other hand, been epic, and Ninja-K has been very good too. Ninjak Vs. Valiant U was entertaining enough but no real groundbreaker, and BS: Salvation has continued its solid march forward since it first hit the stands. Secret Weapons was really very good in its level of characterisation and personalities that it brought into the universe, and HWII seems as though it's off to a good start, especially with the scale that it's occurring over so far. Just getting into Quantum and Woody now - definitely on par with the original series, 3 issues in. I think the relationships between the main 'family' characters have been developed really in this, more so even than they were in the original series.

All in all, good stuff from Valiant :thumb:

My only trouble now, is deciding what to read outside the Valiant U once I'm caught up...
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Shadowman99 wrote:I'm now nearly caught up on the last 4 months'-worth of Valiant, and that's been a fun experience, powering through all that stuff at once :D

Shadowman isn't epic, but is at that same level of enjoyable that it was when it first came out, as I think the overall plot is pretty similar so far. XO Manowar has, on the other hand, been epic, and Ninja-K has been very good too. Ninjak Vs. Valiant U was entertaining enough but no real groundbreaker, and BS: Salvation has continued its solid march forward since it first hit the stands. Secret Weapons was really very good in its level of characterisation and personalities that it brought into the universe, and HWII seems as though it's off to a good start, especially with the scale that it's occurring over so far. Just getting into Quantum and Woody now - definitely on par with the original series, 3 issues in. I think the relationships between the main 'family' characters have been developed really in this, more so even than they were in the original series.

My only trouble now, is deciding what to read outside the Valiant U once I'm caught up...
If you are a fan of Akira and Harbingers, check out Titan Comics' Statix Press 2021: Lost Children - https://titan-comics.com/c/1237-2021-lost-children/. Perhaps you've heard of it as it is a European comic just now being brought to the American market. I read the first issue and it was really interesting. Have you heard of it?
Multum In Parvo

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:I'm now nearly caught up on the last 4 months'-worth of Valiant, and that's been a fun experience, powering through all that stuff at once :D

If you are a fan of Akira and Harbingers, check out Titan Comics' Statix Press 2021: Lost Children - https://titan-comics.com/c/1237-2021-lost-children/. Perhaps you've heard of it as it is a European comic just now being brought to the American market. I read the first issue and it was really interesting. Have you heard of it?
Thanks for the tip. Nope, never heard of this. The interior art is top-class though :thumb:

I'm on a bit of a (Johnny Blaze) Ghost Rider bingefest at the moment. First time reading it and it's not what I expected it to be. For some reason I didn't expect Ghost Rider to be a 'typical' marvel hero in that every issue it'd be a different baddy to fight, but it's pretty formulaic in that respect. Maybe my expectations were a bit naive. Still, looking forward to reading later series of GR to see how things changed through the years following this original series.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Shadowman99 wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Nope, never heard of this. The interior art is top-class though :thumb:

I'm on a bit of a (Johnny Blaze) Ghost Rider bingefest at the moment. First time reading it and it's not what I expected it to be. For some reason I didn't expect Ghost Rider to be a 'typical' marvel hero in that every issue it'd be a different baddy to fight, but it's pretty formulaic in that respect. Maybe my expectations were a bit naive. Still, looking forward to reading later series of GR to see how things changed through the years following this original series.
The absolute best portion of the original Ghost Rider run is the last 12 issues or so - starting at around 68-70 up to #81. I think they knew by them that the book was entering cancellation territory & really tried to amp up the story & art. It'll probably be very dated by today's standards, but for me something about those issues still defines the best ideas of what makes for a good Ghost Rider comic. #77 contains my favourite origin story for a Ghost Rider entity. It was one of the earliest comics I can remember buying on my own as a kid.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

The absolute best portion of the original Ghost Rider run is the last 12 issues or so - starting at around 68-70 up to #81. I think they knew by them that the book was entering cancellation territory & really tried to amp up the story & art. It'll probably be very dated by today's standards, but for me something about those issues still defines the best ideas of what makes for a good Ghost Rider comic. #77 contains my favourite origin story for a Ghost Rider entity. It was one of the earliest comics I can remember buying on my own as a kid.
I have to admit, I got to issue #68 a few days back and had a moment where I really felt "yes - this is the darker, horror Ghost Rider that I've been hoping to see for the last 67 issues!" Very impressed by in in relation to everything preceeding it. I haven't read #70-81 yet, but I'm hoping they'll follow on in a similar vein. I'll look forward to #77 in particular :thumb:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Shadowman99 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

I have to admit, I got to issue #68 a few days back and had a moment where I really felt "yes - this is the darker, horror Ghost Rider that I've been hoping to see for the last 67 issues!" Very impressed by in in relation to everything preceeding it. I haven't read #70-81 yet, but I'm hoping they'll follow on in a similar vein. I'll look forward to #77 in particular :thumb:
Right on, man! Post your thoughts as you read - I'd love to hear your impressions as a first time reader of those issues.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I was reading a bunch of volumes of the IDW TMNT book, and am currently at the second trade volume of the City Fall arc. Pretty good stuff in general! I really like the artist doing this City Fall tale in particular - probably the best artist yet to work on the title up to this point.

I've kind of taken a break from the TMNT stuff in favour of a hard left turn into vintage, classic Iron Man. I've never read a single issue of Tale Of Suspense until recently - Starbrand got me inspired to get into softcover Marvel Masterworks, and I picked up vol. 1-3 of Iron Man, which covers Tales Of Suspense #39-83. It's been a ton of fun to read & see the slow evolution of his look as well as the storytelling style. I even got inspired to hunt down copies of some early issues of Iron Man that I had sold off about 10 years ago. I now just need a copy of #1 & #55 (which I'll probably never get).

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

Right on, man! Post your thoughts as you read - I'd love to hear your impressions as a first time reader of those issues.
Sorry, I haven't logged on the forum for a week or so: but here are my thoughts in retrospect, following a quick refresher flick through each issue:

#68: Love the opening page in particular, and the whole dark, brooding gothic atmosphere in the church is brilliant. Could do without the origin story again for the umpteenth time, but putting across as dialogue to the priest in confession is very cool, particularly as the 'Priest' starts to lose his cool... Then the flaming skeleton hand burst through the screen for his throat is top-class horror! Also, love the panel-in-panel of the burglar looking back in his rear view mirror and seeing the GR... The rain in this scene is almost palpable.

#69: Love the portrait of Blaze just after he turns back from being the GR: best image of him whole series I reckon. The mini-plot about the two lovers seeing each other behind her husband's back was an unexpectedly 'real' theme, not to mention the blatent murder attempts by the landmover driver. Couldn't help but wonder whether I felt the crippling/murder of the girl was deserved or not... Good that the comic even made me ask the question!

#70: This issue with the freaks was really good I felt - The story definitely makes you feel sorry for the simple but kind freak that's travelling with the carnival, and then by the end of the story you feel happy that he's taken the unexpected turn of going to the freak sanctuary where he can become 'normal' and presumably live a happy life :) The bit where he gives the woman a sketch portrait first comes across as really stalkerish, but by the end of that page it's abundantly clear that he just meant it as a friendly gesture toward her and had no attraction for her at all, which was a pretty smart piece of writing. I thought the whole 'Freakmaster' thing that carries on from here to the end of the series was pretty dumb though.

#71: This whole issue probably resonates with most adult male readers I suspect, as they relate to the main 'bad guy' in this comic (if they're honest with themselves), and feel his frustrations of being driven mad by his feelings of lacking life achievements. The whole rest of the comic was more or less just a fight though, so not really that great an issue.

#72/73: Some really good horror here as Blaze's struggle with containing the GR becomes greater, but not really digging the whole 'Circus of Crime' thing. As above, the Ghost Rider's 'vengeance' on the Clown's son was a bit of a shocker, when it became clear that he was setting the CoC up for a fall by leading them into the carnival, rather than to rob it, and his thereafter vegetable-like state that plays on Blaze's conscience for the rest of the series. Also interesting to see (I think, the only?) the Ghost Rider's moment of being in a state besides rage, as he realises he's punished an undeserving individual.

#74: I liked Old Adam. Clearly lost a screw or two over time, but a likeable chap. Sorry to see him in misery back at the mansion, but good to see him go in a semi-content state. The spooky forest, mansion and soulless people were very cool. I like a bit of good horror in comics. Centurious is a pretty cool enemy, and definitely a formidable match for GR (stopping his bike in its tracks by gripping its front wheel!!!!)

#75: Hated Steel Wind. Lame name, lame design, lame personality, almost non-existant backstory. Minion of Freakmaster. Just, what...

#76: Pretty cool issue, pitting the GR and Blaze against each other, and very cool seeing the GR in his natural state, without Blaze's leathers on. Also a very cool resolution to the issue, with the GR and Blaze being allowed to cheat themselves out of separation: Mephisto had perfect foresight evidently. The race sequence through Hell was cool, and the mountain of souls particularly gruesome.

#77: Definitely a cool issue, with the backstory to the first incarnation of the human-bound GR being well thought out, well told and entertaining, plus the return of the freaks which is always pretty eerie, and the prince sacrificing himself to save his fiancee, all very cool, and interesting to see the same situation befall Blaze a few issues later :thumb: The plot to turn Blaze into a bike-man was truly grim, and Nightmare was a pretty groovy character. Very much reminded me of Dream from Neil Gaimen's Sandman. Would be interested to know which came first!

#78: Another cool issue, Blaze being dragged through his own nightmares and regrets is pretty harrowing stuff.

#79: The man-cycles... Lame. Freakmaster... Lame. He's like some sort of evil little Elton John or something. The image of Vicenzo with his head all screwed up was pretty *SQUEE* grim though, yech... Also, the Head-Foot design for the woman in the freak lab: okay, that's *SQUEE* freaky. Also not biologically possible!

#80: A cool issue, with the Sin-Eater sapping the small town of the souls of its inhabitants, eerie stuff. Especially when Roxanne's brother returns to the house 'converted' after a 'chat' with the priest. Cool to see Centurious again. Some cool era-typical horror art in this issue too :thumb: Blaze's soul trapped in the crystal, a dire situation indeed...

#81: Sure this can't be the death of GR?! Pretty tense reading, watching Blaze and the GR failing in their own right, and particularly when GR's getting battered around by Centurious. Not sure how content I am with seeing GR plunged into eternal conflict with Centurious inside the soul crystal, but it's nice to finally have a happy and hopeful ending for Blaze and Roxanne.

So there! Ghost Rider series one finished!

I'm now a couple of issues into the second series (Vengeance Unbound) and have just finished the first arc where Kingpin and Deathwatch are battling over the gas canisters. Really, really liking this so far. It's almost everything I wanted from the first series straight off the bat - could happily have a bit less 'superhero stuff' and more 'horror', but let's see how it goes... Surprised at the age of Danny Ketch, thought he'd be an adult, but watching a late teen/early 20's kid struggle with the GR is a cool spin on the original premise.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

Copra.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Xo manowar, bloodshot, HW2 unfortunatly
and the walking dead.
I Miss the good old days.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Shadowman99 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:The absolute best portion of the original Ghost Rider run is the last 12 issues or so - starting at around 68-70 up to #81. I think they knew by them that the book was entering cancellation territory & really tried to amp up the story & art. It'll probably be very dated by today's standards, but for me something about those issues still defines the best ideas of what makes for a good Ghost Rider comic. #77 contains my favourite origin story for a Ghost Rider entity. It was one of the earliest comics I can remember buying on my own as a kid.
Sorry, I haven't logged on the forum for a week or so: but here are my thoughts in retrospect, following a quick refresher flick through each issue:

#68: Love the opening page in particular, and the whole dark, brooding gothic atmosphere in the church is brilliant. Could do without the origin story again for the umpteenth time, but putting across as dialogue to the priest in confession is very cool, particularly as the 'Priest' starts to lose his cool... Then the flaming skeleton hand burst through the screen for his throat is top-class horror! Also, love the panel-in-panel of the burglar looking back in his rear view mirror and seeing the GR... The rain in this scene is almost palpable.

#69: Love the portrait of Blaze just after he turns back from being the GR: best image of him whole series I reckon. The mini-plot about the two lovers seeing each other behind her husband's back was an unexpectedly 'real' theme, not to mention the blatent murder attempts by the landmover driver. Couldn't help but wonder whether I felt the crippling/murder of the girl was deserved or not... Good that the comic even made me ask the question!

#70: This issue with the freaks was really good I felt - The story definitely makes you feel sorry for the simple but kind freak that's travelling with the carnival, and then by the end of the story you feel happy that he's taken the unexpected turn of going to the freak sanctuary where he can become 'normal' and presumably live a happy life :) The bit where he gives the woman a sketch portrait first comes across as really stalkerish, but by the end of that page it's abundantly clear that he just meant it as a friendly gesture toward her and had no attraction for her at all, which was a pretty smart piece of writing. I thought the whole 'Freakmaster' thing that carries on from here to the end of the series was pretty dumb though.

#71: This whole issue probably resonates with most adult male readers I suspect, as they relate to the main 'bad guy' in this comic (if they're honest with themselves), and feel his frustrations of being driven mad by his feelings of lacking life achievements. The whole rest of the comic was more or less just a fight though, so not really that great an issue.

#72/73: Some really good horror here as Blaze's struggle with containing the GR becomes greater, but not really digging the whole 'Circus of Crime' thing. As above, the Ghost Rider's 'vengeance' on the Clown's son was a bit of a shocker, when it became clear that he was setting the CoC up for a fall by leading them into the carnival, rather than to rob it, and his thereafter vegetable-like state that plays on Blaze's conscience for the rest of the series. Also interesting to see (I think, the only?) the Ghost Rider's moment of being in a state besides rage, as he realises he's punished an undeserving individual.

#74: I liked Old Adam. Clearly lost a screw or two over time, but a likeable chap. Sorry to see him in misery back at the mansion, but good to see him go in a semi-content state. The spooky forest, mansion and soulless people were very cool. I like a bit of good horror in comics. Centurious is a pretty cool enemy, and definitely a formidable match for GR (stopping his bike in its tracks by gripping its front wheel!!!!)

#75: Hated Steel Wind. Lame name, lame design, lame personality, almost non-existant backstory. Minion of Freakmaster. Just, what...

#76: Pretty cool issue, pitting the GR and Blaze against each other, and very cool seeing the GR in his natural state, without Blaze's leathers on. Also a very cool resolution to the issue, with the GR and Blaze being allowed to cheat themselves out of separation: Mephisto had perfect foresight evidently. The race sequence through Hell was cool, and the mountain of souls particularly gruesome.

#77: Definitely a cool issue, with the backstory to the first incarnation of the human-bound GR being well thought out, well told and entertaining, plus the return of the freaks which is always pretty eerie, and the prince sacrificing himself to save his fiancee, all very cool, and interesting to see the same situation befall Blaze a few issues later :thumb: The plot to turn Blaze into a bike-man was truly grim, and Nightmare was a pretty groovy character. Very much reminded me of Dream from Neil Gaimen's Sandman. Would be interested to know which came first!

#78: Another cool issue, Blaze being dragged through his own nightmares and regrets is pretty harrowing stuff.

#79: The man-cycles... Lame. Freakmaster... Lame. He's like some sort of evil little Elton John or something. The image of Vicenzo with his head all screwed up was pretty *SQUEE* grim though, yech... Also, the Head-Foot design for the woman in the freak lab: okay, that's *SQUEE* freaky. Also not biologically possible!

#80: A cool issue, with the Sin-Eater sapping the small town of the souls of its inhabitants, eerie stuff. Especially when Roxanne's brother returns to the house 'converted' after a 'chat' with the priest. Cool to see Centurious again. Some cool era-typical horror art in this issue too :thumb: Blaze's soul trapped in the crystal, a dire situation indeed...

#81: Sure this can't be the death of GR?! Pretty tense reading, watching Blaze and the GR failing in their own right, and particularly when GR's getting battered around by Centurious. Not sure how content I am with seeing GR plunged into eternal conflict with Centurious inside the soul crystal, but it's nice to finally have a happy and hopeful ending for Blaze and Roxanne.

So there! Ghost Rider series one finished!

I'm now a couple of issues into the second series (Vengeance Unbound) and have just finished the first arc where Kingpin and Deathwatch are battling over the gas canisters. Really, really liking this so far. It's almost everything I wanted from the first series straight off the bat - could happily have a bit less 'superhero stuff' and more 'horror', but let's see how it goes... Surprised at the age of Danny Ketch, thought he'd be an adult, but watching a late teen/early 20's kid struggle with the GR is a cool spin on the original premise.
Dude.

Awesome reviews - thanks so much for sharing your perspective in depth like this! I will get back around to responding more to your observations when I have a little more time to sit & type :wink: :thumb:

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I went ahead and tried the second volume of the Hawkeye series by Fraction and Aja and thought it was better than the first volume, but still not great.

Also finished the first two volumes of the 2014 Punisher series. The first volume (Black and White) collects the first six issues and focuses on the Punisher's relocation to Los Angeles where he faces off with a drug cartel and Electro. The second volume (Border Crossing) collects issues 7-12 (as well as a crossover with Black Widow) and features Castle getting kidnapped while in Mexico by a cartel. I've not read any Punisher in quite a long time, but have really liked this series.

And today, I read the second volume of Bendis' 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy series (Angela) which collects issues 4-10. I thought the first volume was, honestly, pretty crappy -- a bland story with bland art. This second volume was a little better in that the stories were a bit more interesting, but they were very disjointed. I'm assuming there were some crossovers that were not included in this collection (and that weren't summarized well in the book). I'm not at all a fan of the art (it's a platoon of people for this collection, so quite inconsistent).

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

I've read something like the first seventeen or so issues of the 2nd Ghost Rider series: Vengeance Unbound. Loving it :thumb:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Shadowman99 wrote:I've read something like the first seventeen or so issues of the 2nd Ghost Rider series: Vengeance Unbound. Loving it :thumb:
That the start of the Danny Ketch era, drawn by Texiera? I was a big fan of it for around the first 20-25 issues.

I was *beyond* excited for it when I found out a few months ahead of time that it was coming back in 1990. At that time I just couldn’t believe they were bringing it back - it was a lot less common for old cancelled titles/characters to make a comeback, and since he was a favourite of mine it was doubly exciting!

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

grendeljd wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:I've read something like the first seventeen or so issues of the 2nd Ghost Rider series: Vengeance Unbound. Loving it :thumb:
That the start of the Danny Ketch era, drawn by Texiera? I was a big fan of it for around the first 20-25 issues.

I was *beyond* excited for it when I found out a few months ahead of time that it was coming back in 1990. At that time I just couldn’t believe they were bringing it back - it was a lot less common for old cancelled titles/characters to make a comeback, and since he was a favourite of mine it was doubly exciting!
Yep, that's right :) Mark Texiera and a chap called Javier Saltares as well apparently. I've not read the comic since my last post (had a lot on my plate lately) but the first batch I've read so far have been really enjoyable. I'm now wondering if the comic takes a dive after the 20/25 issues on your mention of them... Hope not.

Your story about the comic being revived in the 90's is really great, and I'm glad that when it hit the shelves it didn't let you down :D

I've just looked up 'Ghost Rider' online and it looks like there's a series called 'Cosmic Ghost Rider' out at the moment. I think I'll trade-wait that one, if I give it a look at all; seems as though it might just be a bit too bizarre for my tastes to be honest. And when did the Punisher become the Ghost Rider?! :o