The Woke Comics Backlash Begins

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: The Woke Comics Backlash Begins

Post by jmatt »

Here's an interesting video about DC sales. The guy says that he's been told by an insider that "the hammer is about to fall on DC comics" by management. Says sales are horrendous and people are starting to notice. He sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

If true, I would imagine that the recent, uh, editorial changes to characters could be involved.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:31:22 pm Here's an interesting video about DC sales. The guy says that he's been told by an insider that "the hammer is about to fall on DC comics" by management. Says sales are horrendous and people are starting to notice. He sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

If true, I would imagine that the recent, uh, editorial changes to characters could be involved.
‘Thinking Critical’ (aka Wes) has done a few good videos about the demise of Valiant. He was a big fan of VEI and says at its peak it was his favourite universe.

https://youtu.be/hnkbs-NCT6Y

Hopefully the tide is starting to change with all this BS :hope:

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

leonmallett wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:52:08 am Someone seems triggered...
Lots of someones.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:27:22 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21:41 am And then I see this....and it reminds me of this whole mess.... It makes a good point... not the whole point, but a good one...

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
Apart from being a great movie, Aliens happened without any agenda or intended audience political manipulation. So whilst I see the point being made, it’s all about context.
I hope I'm missing the sarcasm. This is a movie about a corrupt corporation that basically employs slave labor who send a military unit to go get back their investment. And then, during the course of the operation, the corporation tries to impregnate a woman and young girl with an alien species against their will so that the corporation can extract the "baby." Did you not get Paul Reiser's character? I think you completely missed the entire point of the movie.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Jrosen wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:50:12 am
Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21:41 am And then I see this....and it reminds me of this whole mess.... It makes a good point... not the whole point, but a good one...

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
Apart from being a great movie, Aliens happened without any agenda or intended audience political manipulation. So whilst I see the point being made, it’s all about context.
I hope I'm missing the sarcasm. This is a movie about a corrupt corporation that basically employs slave labor who send a military unit to go get back their investment. And then, during the course of the operation, the corporation tries to impregnate a woman and young girl with an alien species against their will so that the corporation can extract the "baby." Did you not get Paul Reiser's character? I think you completely missed the entire point of the movie.
You could probably say virtually every movie made that there’s a ‘message’ of good versus evil and extrapolate from there. This conversation was specifically about far left wing woke politics being inserted into films and I don’t think that agenda was in play in 1979.

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

WOKE! I like to smoke weed! The new politics are great! A bunch of crying over the past. Meanwhile, I’m getting high without having to go to a *SQUEE* whole where I may get shot. I’m free!

As for comics, I say yeah yeah yeah. Quit when you don’t like them. There’s SO many comics out there already. If a comic book was never again created, I’d be fine. So much to read already. I haven’t purchased a current comic in years!
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
Apart from being a great movie, Aliens happened without any agenda or intended audience political manipulation.
I hope I'm missing the sarcasm. This is a movie about a corrupt corporation that basically employs slave laber... the corporation tries to impregnate a woman and young girl with an alien species against their will ... I think you completely missed the entire point of the movie.
*slow clap*
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:41:52 am

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
Apart from being a great movie, Aliens happened without any agenda or intended audience political manipulation...all about context.
I hope I'm missing the sarcasm. This is a movie about a corrupt corporation that basically employs slave labor ... during the course of the operation, the corporation tries to impregnate a woman and young girl with an alien species against their will ... I think you completely missed the entire point of the movie.
You could probably say virtually every movie made that there’s a ‘message’ of good versus evil and extrapolate from there. This conversation was specifically about far left wing woke politics being inserted into films and I don’t think that agenda was in play in 1979.
I think the "far left" agenda has been at play since at least the American Revolution! No king? That's pretty radical, dude. All men are created equal? Far left! Freedom of the press? Do what? Innocent until proven guilty? Those unwashed masses are getting very uppity to expect fair treatment under the law.

However, if you insist on confusing "far left" with "social issues" then I can't have an effective dialogue on the matter.

But looking at things as you see them, using terms as you use them, yes I agree that 2020s politics could not possibly be present in a 70s-80s film.

If you want to attack "woke politics" go ahead have at it. But "far left" is something different. Associated, but different.

I've had to do a bit of thinking on this to explain the difference. What you call woke politics pretty much exactly what you say it is...in-your-face pushing of marginalized social issues. The far left is more creating a more just society/government/economy for everyone, regardless of social station. Note I said social station...because a few people...the ultra-rich, the corporations, the military industry...would not benefit.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:13:39 am I think the "far left" agenda has been at play since at least the American Revolution! No king? That's pretty radical, dude. All men are created equal? Far left! Freedom of the press? Do what? Innocent until proven guilty? Those unwashed masses are getting very uppity to expect fair treatment under the law.
Certainly these ideas you describe are classical liberal ideas. I consider myself a classical liberal, free from any king, bow a knee to no man but Jesus.

A lot of those ideas will get a rage mob against you pretty quick on Twitter today. Someone who believes that all men are created equal and should be treated equally regardless of race would have been a radical in the 50s, a liberal in the 90s and is a racist today. I am a free speech extremist because I believe in the free exchange of ideas. Freedom of the press? Try asking about vaccines. Or gender affirming surgeries.

One of the foundational principals of this country, one that set the Torah apart from other contemporary law codes like Hammurabi, is that no man is responsible for the sins of another. I cannot be jailed or charged with a crime committed by my father or his father. I cannot pass down personal criminal liability to my heirs. I am very thankful that I am not accountable for my sister’s many crimes. I am descended from slave holders, less than 200 years ago. I am not guilty for my great great great great great grandfather owning slaves. The principles of today’s left - not even that far left - holds that I am by default guilty of several sins because of the actions of my forebearers, cishet white Christian men. I can do the work, read the books and learn of my intrinsic inherited sins, I can work to overturn these systems but I can never find absolution. I am prejudged guilty with no possibility of redeeming myself. I can never be free until we all find equity. And this is diametrically opposed to the Founders, who said that we are equal because we are equally free.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Well spoken, Chiclo.

The people you have the most beef with, who support Biden enthusiastically, are not balanced "lefties"....I call them "*SQUEE*".

*SQUEE* are the ones who took Trump off Twitter. *SQUEE* are the ones who block free speech. *SQUEE* are the ones who want to have the unvaccinated turned into 2nd class citizens. *SQUEE* are content to vote for whomever the Duopoly shoves down our throats.

I and my fellow freethinkers reject the exploitation class and donor control of government by the Duopoly. True lefties are smart enough to not suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Oh, wait, what was your point? What was my point? I'm not gonna worry too much about it.

Oh wait, that thing about sins of your fathers... both conservatives and *SQUEE* don't seem to understand the argument...it's not about personal responsibility and personal sins, but about society. Our cities and industries were built on the backs of slaves. Our land was stolen from Native Americans. These are indisputable things, correct? Okay, let me put this another way. If you were told you were magically going to be a black person, waking up with their life and family and job, how'd you feel about that? Indifferent? Happy? Unhappy? Ignore losing your life and family and dreams for this hypothetical. We are only looking at White Privilege. It exists. And it makes a big difference in the life of a POC. I am assuming you wouldn't choose life as a POC. Why not? Because the cards are stacked against you as a POC. Or me if I was faced with that hypothetical situation. So, how exactly is that everyone is equal?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:33:27 pm

We are only looking at White Privilege. It exists. And it makes a big difference in the life of a POC.
I love how people spout this nonsense as if it were a given. How about Asians as POC in America, according to the data they top the income charts? White males also top the suicide rates in the US, so tell us more about this magical white privilege and what things you can do with it? :?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:33:27 pm Oh wait, that thing about sins of your fathers... both conservatives and *SQUEE* don't seem to understand the argument...it's not about personal responsibility and personal sins, but about society. Our cities and industries were built on the backs of slaves. Our land was stolen from Native Americans. These are indisputable things, correct? Okay, let me put this another way. If you were told you were magically going to be a black person, waking up with their life and family and job, how'd you feel about that? Indifferent? Happy? Unhappy? Ignore losing your life and family and dreams for this hypothetical. We are only looking at White Privilege. It exists. And it makes a big difference in the life of a POC. I am assuming you wouldn't choose life as a POC. Why not? Because the cards are stacked against you as a POC. Or me if I was faced with that hypothetical situation. So, how exactly is that everyone is equal?
I would agree to your point in 1950, in 1970, even into the 80s, there was a slant baked in to society to keep minorities down. That is not true today. From social acceptance in my community to farm loan forgiveness, I’d get a leg up if I were brown-skinned. We have identified a problem in our society and have worked to address it. Western civilization has done this several times in the last few centuries - identifying shortcomings in our society and fixing them from the inside out, issues like slavery and women’s equality. We aren’t finished yet but are better off than we were yesterday and the future will be better tomorrow. I am not saying that we are perfect or that we don’t have other problems that need fixing, but I am saying that we have a greater equality today in America and in the west than at any point in human history. Attempting to ensure equality of outcomes is the surest way to erase that equality of liberty that we enjoy now and is the surest tyranny of all.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:50:29 am

We are only looking at White Privilege. It exists. And it makes a big difference in the life of a POC.
I love how people spout this nonsense as if it were a given. How about Asians as POC in America, according to the data they top the income charts? White males also top the suicide rates in the US, so tell us more about this magical white privilege and what things you can do with it? :?
Let's go back to the question I asked Chiclo. If you died now and were about to be reincarnated, and were able to choose the race you were born into, would you contendly look at all the races equally? If you randomly got suggested a black family by fate, would you shrug and say "sure, go ahead"

And you're right. Both Asian and Indian do not have the same difficulties as many other POC. We know this.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Oxmyx wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:38:37 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:50:29 am

Let's go back to the question I asked Chiclo. If you died now and were about to be reincarnated, and were able to choose the race you were born into, would you contendly look at all the races equally? If you randomly got suggested a black family by fate, would you shrug and say "sure, go ahead"

And you're right. Both Asian and Indian do not have the same difficulties as many other POC. We know this.
I wouldn’t choose to be something else as I’m proud of who I am and where I’m from. I wouldn’t choose to be from a different place even though there are probably better places to be from (ie more affluent). Also I think it’s a bit presumptuous to assume POC would choose to be something else.

Funny how Asians and Indians don’t have the same difficulties, must be that white privilege rubbing off!