*Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: *Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Post by lorddunlow »

valiantdude wrote:
You said the blue Solar #1s may be from discoloration, but the OP stated clearly that they knew about the variation in 1992. So clearly before any natural degradation can happen.
But... aren't you the OP? I'm very confused.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: *Counterfeit Valiant Update- Midnight, On Earth w/ Jim Shooter Ep 89 - NEW EPISODE

Post by SwiftMann »

ckb wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:21:59 pm The whole thing makes sense with just "stolen" in place of "counterfeit". It even would approach somewhat believable with "unauthorized" in place of "counterfeit". In my opinion in order to use "counterfeit" it would be someone starting with a legit book and working up from there. Like a money counterfeiter starting with a real $20 bill.
All this.

Shooter is a storyteller. One that thrives in sensationalism and has for nearly 50 years in the industry. I'd even accept that (maybe) there was a noted blue vs purple in the print run and (maybe) Valiant wanted to (maybe) pulp one color or the other and before that happened (maybe) those were stolen and distributed out of the back of a Volkswagen. And all that in Jim's mind became "counterfeit" books. But even in that still unlikely scenario they aren't counterfeit. Counterfeit just sounds more sensational in Jim's mind and, you know, he always ends up believing his verbal history over actual.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

i was talking about the person who posted the blue solar that was th OP i was referring to. he said they knew about this is 1992.
also i looked on ebay, and im not sure what greg is saying here,they are not mostly blue..

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

1. There are no counterfeit Valiant books.
2. Variations in the colors on the cover of Solar #1 may be old, new, or yet to happen.
3. Regardless, see 1.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

You seem awfully certain about this, greg. There is still room in all this for these counterfeits and Shooter has twice suggested that there are counterfeits out there. It feels like there are holes in the story we have so far.

I think the case that these counterfeits are real seems pretty strong. These blue Solar 1s look pretty legit.

greg

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:56:34 pm You seem awfully certain about this, greg. There is still room in all this for these counterfeits and Shooter has twice suggested that there are counterfeits out there. It feels like there are holes in the story we have so far.

I think the case that these counterfeits are real seems pretty strong. These blue Solar 1s look pretty legit.
Being a fan of little known fiction is basically what it means to be a fan of Valiant. No surprise that Valiant fans like this counterfeit story. That doesn't make fiction less fictitious.

A little bit of color variation on Solar #1 is not exactly a paradigm shifting discovery.

Collectors of the biggest publisher of all time (Marvel) generally don't know (or care) about a documented 50 year old obvious accidental printing variation.
https://recalledcomics.com/FantasticFou ... gError.php

How can a molehill get any smaller than blue Solar #1?

It's almost fun, I'll admit. But it's weaksauce of the highest order. If we are re-writing Valiant history with fiction, let's go for something bigger.
We would be more productive as Valiant fans trying to shimmy the chromium off enough copies of Bloodshot #1 to claim Valiant secretly created the sketch cover variant with the same book that introduced the world to chromium comics.

greg

Post by greg »

I was able to discuss this with Jim Shooter via email.
Jim Shooter in an email to Greg Holland - April 19, 2022 wrote: Dear Greg,

I hope you're well.

I completely defer to Fred Pierce's memory of events. I think I've said that all along.

When we first heard about books being sold out of the trunk of someone's car, whoever told me about that -- probably Jon Hartz, our sales and marketing person -- it was characterized as "counterfeit books." Fred volunteered to look into it. He took it from there. Sometime later, he reported to me that he had worked with police to set up a sting, that it was successful, and they caught the guy selling what I thought, what I believe we all thought, were bogus books. I had plenty of other things to deal with, whatever the situation was, it was over, and I don't think I ever bothered to ask Fred or anyone else about what went on, or what information came out after the sting.

So, once again, Fred is the man who knows. I remember the parts I was involved in pretty well, but he handled the matter, it was dealt with, and I was too busy writing (or rewriting) everything, running the company, and dealing with the emergency du jour to give it any attention.

In any case, if Fred says there weren't any counterfeit books, then I absolutely take his word for it.

Be well,

Jim

P.S. Feel free to use the comments above as you see fit.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

the whole thing is like jim saying theyre fake.. now adding hartz into the mix.. bogus books!
but somehow fred is right..
there were fakes, hes saying defer to fred, but i dont think thats right.
lets ask jon hartz

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:42:10 pm the whole thing is like jim saying theyre fake.. now adding hartz into the mix.. bogus books!
but somehow fred is right..
there were fakes, hes saying defer to fred, but i dont think thats right.
lets ask jon hartz
Yeah, that’s the ticket!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

:funnypost:

I can hear the inflection in Lovitz’s voice as I read it.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

i tried to tell you a there are conterfeit books.. now you know

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:42:10 am i tried to tell you a there are conterfeit books.. now you know
Where are the counterfeit books? Are there more than just the Solar 1s? What are they hiding in their silence? Can I have counterfeit books in my collection and not know it?

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

This thread is great. :lol:
Valiant dude be like

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:40:58 pm
valiantdude wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:42:10 am i tried to tell you a there are conterfeit books.. now you know
Where are the counterfeit books? Are there more than just the Solar 1s? What are they hiding in their silence? Can I have counterfeit books in my collection and not know it?
You were the guy messing with Mike Tyson on the plane right?

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Solar 10 White... :banana:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

myron wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:48:28 pm Solar 10 White... :banana:
IT IS REAL

greg

Post by greg »

Why does this story and its outcome remind me of the Johnny Depp - Amber Heard situation?

"He abused me" - after the evidence, it's just Amber Heard saying this
"There are counterfeit books" - after the evidence, it's just valiantdude saying this

Not even the testimony of Johnny Depp or Jim Shooter will change their mind.

Blood of Heroes

#believeallvaliantdudes

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

lets just look at facts:
jim says there are counterfiet books, jon hartz says there are counterfeit books,
"bogus books", not overprint "bogus books"

jim says defer to fred, but perhaps he is being far too generous, and fred has not made a statement.

where is freds statement?

Now if Jon Hartz made a statement that would be the tie breaker..

the whole thing is just not solid.

Blood of Heroes

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

cmon dispute those facts..

Blood of Heroes

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

as is fred pierces non statement

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:52:21 pm lets just look at facts:
jim says there are counterfiet books, jon hartz says there are counterfeit books,
"bogus books", not overprint "bogus books"

jim says defer to fred, but perhaps he is being far too generous, and fred has not made a statement.

where is freds statement?

Now if Jon Hartz made a statement that would be the tie breaker..

the whole thing is just not solid.
One statement that there are bogus books and two abstentions. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Sounds like the counterfeit books are real. Or, like they really exist, not real in the way that they are products of the Valiant official printing process.

Blood of Heroes

Chiclo wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:46:07 pm One statement that there are bogus books and two abstentions. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Sounds like the counterfeit books are real. Or, like they really exist, not real in the way that they are products of the Valiant official printing process.
How the f*ck are two people not involved in the conversation "abstentions"?

Sometimes I can't tell when you are just funnin' me.