Alien races in VH1

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Alien races in VH1

Post by Oxmyx »

I was just puzzling for a moment at work. I let my mind wander, what can I say.

For the sensational nature of comics stories, I just realized how subdued and conservative VH1 is regarding alien life.

I only count two...Spider Aliens and Predators. And Predators only if you accept the crossover with Magnus as canon to VH1, which I do. Then there are the XO armors, but I will leave that side discussion.

By contrast, VEI is chock full of alien races.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Alien races in VH1

Post by greg »

Valiant originally claimed to set its stories in "the world outside your window", so the inclusion of the Spider Aliens was a bit of a stretch, except that they were disguising themselves as human (when they interacted with people who didn't know aliens exist).

That brings up an interesting point, though... if "the world outside your window" doesn't include aliens at all, then does the inclusion of just one alien race in the stories imply that there are innumerable others (Valiant 2012), or is it more reasonable to assume that only one alien race would bother with Earth and that they would keep themselves hidden (Valiant 1991)?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

It made sense to me on V1, since as Greg noted, Shooter tried to make Valiant as real to life as possible. That was incredibly innovative at the time.

However, I don't think I ever thought of VEI and how many aliens are in there. They seem appropriately placed in each book. A&A was hilarious!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Oxmyx wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:07:39 am I was just puzzling for a moment at work. I let my mind wander, what can I say.

For the sensational nature of comics stories, I just realized how subdued and conservative VH1 is regarding alien life.

I only count two...Spider Aliens and Predators. And Predators only if you accept the crossover with Magnus as canon to VH1, which I do. Then there are the XO armors, but I will leave that side discussion.

By contrast, VEI is chock full of alien races.
There were more towards the end. Right now I remember the men in black in the Visitor. And the Sirius people from Gold Key showed up in Psi-lords.

/Magnus

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

There are numerous sci-fi traditions that have very little to no non-Earth life. Asimov's Foundation comes to mind, and I've heard the show FIREFLY has no alien life.

By contrast, I feel like it was the ARMOR HUNTERS event which really pushed VEI over the edge and into Star Wars territory
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Oxmyx wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:10:45 am There are numerous sci-fi traditions that have very little to no non-Earth life. Asimov's Foundation comes to mind, and I've heard the show FIREFLY has no alien life.
Firefly is the best show ever -- right after Twin Peaks, of course. I "believe" there were aliens in Twin Peaks, too. Although we never really got to see 'em. Well, we never really got to see Diane either. :hm:

As for Firefly, I "believe" they never really had the budget for strange looking aliens which is why their outer-space planets turned out to be not so strange looking cowboy planets -- which, of course, gave the show its charm.....unlike that Cowboys vs. Aliens movie (the directors just didn't get the memo -- Cowboys are Aliens).

Sunlight on Snow

I do remember the MALEV screwing with humanity and the DROMAK screwing with Aric's mind but both were past-SHOOTER.

None of them could anal-screw as thoroughly as the Greys, of course.

Aliens should always be measured by their anal probing.

Didn't Shooter have something up his sleeve revolving around Stingy Pete and the Aliens? :P facepalm

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:04:04 am I do remember the MALEV screwing with humanity and the DROMAK screwing with Aric's mind but both were past-SHOOTER.

Didn't Shooter have something up his sleeve revolving around Stingy Pete and the Aliens? :P facepalm
The Malevs! D'oh! Not sure how I forgot about them! Well, I do know actually because they were living machines not alien life.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:04:04 am I do remember the MALEV screwing with humanity and the DROMAK screwing with Aric's mind but both were past-SHOOTER.

The Malevs! D'oh! Not sure how I forgot about them! Well, I do know actually because they were living machines not alien life.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I seem to recall that the Malevs first appeared in Gold Key, so are they pre-Shooter? :P

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:10:30 pm

I seem to recall that the Malevs first appeared in Gold Key, so are they pre-Shooter? :P
Correct! :thumb:

That story line about the destruction of Malev-6 is from GK and Russ Manning, right?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:58:11 pm That story line about the destruction of Malev-6 is from GK and Russ Manning, right?
Yes, but Valiant did indicate that Malev originated with a VR creature from Earth that Solar met and fought.

Btw, Solar (and the Destroyer) did meet some alien races towards the end. One giant space baby, intelligent crystals and an alien named Atman.

So we have at least:
Spider aliens
Predators
Sirius aliens
Men in black
Dromak
Space baby
Crystals
Atman

What is there more?

/Magnus