Counterfeit Valiant book UPDATE , FYI

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Counterfeit Valiant book Red Alert 911

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:00:50 pm You're right I cant knock the return.. he made some dough..got that china china blood money China china uiygar concentration camps china china literally satan china china paid for valiant
How much better was Akklaim?

Sure, the Uighyrs are in the news now but China has been selling off body parts of the Fulan Gong adherents for years. Dinesh is from Hong Kong; he knows better than we what is going on over there AND he did not choose to sell, they pulled off a buyout against his wishes. I guess you could say that even if it was a hostile takeover, he did still cash the check. And now he is putting out quality comics again and regular posters to this very board are surprised when they get a Valiant comic in their pullbox that DMG is still publishing. Even the red headed rats are fleeing that sinking ship.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

At this point, the host of the podcast has found out that dinesh is claiming lies and hes not happy either.. and hes willing to release the outtake recording of jim confirming this if that counts as evidence..
How about we get a hold of fred pierce, you know they kept this under wraps because of the bad PR that would have been going around at the time when Valiant were the hottest collectibles on the market, that a certain percentage of them could be counterfeit. That would have absolutely disrupted back issue purchases which would have completely decimated Valiants back issue presence which was the foundation of their new issue sales for that moment because people were assuming that the next Comics would be potentially as valuable... they swept this under the rug on purpose..

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

How much better was acclaim...brother.......
Did acclaim sell body parts, how about them camps were there acclaim video game concentration camps?

Dude the difference is more than night and day, it's not even comparable

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Chiclo- What you missing is that he agreed to sign on with DMG knowing they were tied to the CCP, cause of that china movie blood money..that's way before he was dumb enough to get *SQUEE* over

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:18:55 pm Chiclo- What you missing is that he agreed to sign on with DMG knowing they were tied to the CCP, cause of that china movie blood money..that's way before he was dumb enough to get *SQUEE* over
Wait, is this a new version of the Chewbacca Defense? China is bad therefor thousands of Pre-Unity books are counterfeit.

Time to invoke MotA’s in-law. vd, you just want a goat on first name basis with the Legion of Superheroes.

edit - MotA’s in-law retracted by author.
Last edited by Chiclo on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Well, it was magical. Now it's yet another valiantfans.com thread that devolves into personal political belief diatribes.

What happened to that day when one third-hand account was yelling at the merits of another third-hand account?
Last edited by SwiftMann on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:28:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Chiclo-- I not sure what your post said, but it was funny...
Essentially no, the two are actually unrelated, but point is just cause dinesh says Jim's a liar, and speaks on behalf of fred pierce as well I guess, with some weird like supporting quote.. doesn't meant hes right. That's what I am saying, pointing out his other *SQUEE* ups is just me being shocked that he'd even chime in to shyte on jim one more time

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I listened to the podcast where Jim said that Fred Pierce had the details.

Asking Fred is Jim's recommendation.

Dinesh worked with Fred for several years, and he has the ability to ask Fred. Dinesh said Fred isn't in agreement with Jim that counterfeits are everywhere for Pre-Unity books.

Until Fred says something directly to us, our best answer is from Dinesh that Fred didn't agree with the story.

Jim said ask Fred, and Dinesh did.

Jim said there was a sting and they caught the guy trying to sell a ton of counterfeits. Sounds like they didn't make it into circulation.

Even assuming the story is TRUE, and assuming the books got away from the authorities (How? Catching them was the point of the operation), any surviving counterfeits would have fooled all of us for 30 years. At that point, it would be like a baby switched at birth. 30 years later, the foundational years that establish an identity have been lived. If you found out at age 30 that your parents adopted you from a poor inner city orphanage and not from an expensive adoption agency like you thought, what would change about you?

All the "what ifs" change nothing until there's more information we can verify. At that point, the books might have a new chapter in their history, but "Year 31" isn't nearly as dramatic as the sum of all "Years 1 to 30".

Red Alert! Something might have happen almost 30 years ago, but we're not sure. Now Is The Time To Panic!!!

Um, no.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

ckb wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53:53 am
dino wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:38:48 am
ckb wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02:29 am
dino wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:48:57 am Red Alert: Jim's telling porkie pies
Thanks Dino! Good to hear.

I'm sure there is a grain of truth in it somewhere though. Would love to hear the details from Fred if you can convince him to share!
Counterfeiting the pre-unity books doesn't make financial sense based on the mechanics of printing a comic. It would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars if you could even convince a printer to do it (they're quite vigilant about these types of things).

Fred's go to on Jim is "he has convinced himself this lie is the truth".
Wow that is amazing! So the whole Midwest police sting is a "never really happened"?

The logical analysis of the whole idea brought me to the same place you describe - given the environment in the 1990's it seemed really dubious. But you never know what people with the right resources can do! Thanks for letting us know.
I'm not sure. Very possible there was some kind of sting. Perhaps someone on the printer side was stealing copies off the press and selling them? I don't know about that but I can't see how copies could have been counterfeited. Counterfeiting is a tremendous amount more work. It's why despite the millions that key Marvel and DC books command we haven't seen any counterfeits. We only see counterfeit comics on books that were run on amateur or semi-professional presses like TMNT and Cerebus.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

valiantdude wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:13:02 am Hey dinesh... you are full of *SQUEE*, how dare you say jim is lying.. that's the stupidest *SQUEE* ever.. you're just embarrassed you had the valiant birthday cake and you *SQUEE* on the dude that created valiant with your mommy's money..
This is unnecessary man. Let's stay respectful. Or at least get your facts right about me. Not helping your cause.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Dude you literally chimed in to say jim was lying and a general fred quote backs you... you're dead wrong.. its weak to do that, like you've done enough..
You come on the valiant board to say jim shooter is a liar about this, with some vague fred pierce quote that doesnt pertain to that it's more of a general quote, I'm trying to uncover something huge. Actually getting more clarification than was on the podcast, exact issues, the fact that they were making to the market, etc..the fact that jim shooter thought that everyone already knew,....from what I understand jim is going to be the podcast again in like 6-9 mos.. hes going to clear it up, and the podcast host might release outtake audio with jim since I told my friend, who told him, and supposedly he thinks it's weird too
Last edited by valiantdude on Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:01:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Greg-- that's not what dinesh is saying, that fred pierce quote is a general quote, not about this specific topic.

This is bs quote

Fred's go to on Jim is "he has convinced himself this lie is the truth".

This means go to on whatever... not this counterfeit comic topic

Greg-- also, the books were making it out for awhile before they got caught, then they got caught, makes perfect sense

There are legal documents .. someone knows how to quick search these midwest states legal records jcp?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

What the hell is this thread...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I blame the China virus on the demise of Valiant.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Maybe the bootlegs are so laughably bad they no longer exist. I see the chances of 1990s color comics being made close enough to a bona fide copy to be extremely remote.

The only bootlegs I’ve seen that come close are the black bad white newsprint comics from the 80s. TMNT 1, Cerberus 1, etc.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Come to think of it, I’d like a bootleg to add to my collection. Might be rare!
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Jcp- hey you mentioned maybe being a lawyer? Do you have access to some database for legal records? Might be easy to search, Voyager Communications mid west states?

JCP

Post by JCP »

valiantdude wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:23:07 pm Jcp- hey you mentioned maybe being a lawyer? Do you have access to some database for legal records? Might be easy to search, Voyager Communications mid west states?
Sure, I have access. But, it’s very expensive and requires searches to be billed to a client. Not worth getting fired over.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

nycjadie wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:57:04 pm Maybe the bootlegs are so laughably bad they no longer exist. I see the chances of 1990s color comics being made close enough to a bona fide copy to be extremely remote.

The only bootlegs I’ve seen that come close are the black bad white newsprint comics from the 80s. TMNT 1, Cerberus 1, etc.
Same here. I’d love to have a run of VH1 bootlegs. I’d love to know if I have some bootlegs already. But there is only noise and no funk, so I don’t know.

I think you have it backwards. The decline of Valiant can, in part, be blamed on the China virus and is one of many wrongs that will be righted with the return of the True President of the republic, when you least expect him.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:23:49 pm What the hell is this thread...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
The most fun we have had on this board in a while.

JCP

Post by JCP »

:funnypost:

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I feel like I jumped into a thread from 10 years ago based on the drama factor :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

caxiotis wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:35:05 pm I feel like I jumped into a thread from 10 years ago based on the drama factor :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
No kidding

I’m not saying counterfeit pre-unity books aren’t a big deal but it’s been 30 years and no one has ever found something remotely similar to one. Again proof is in the pudding and I like chocolate.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:28:14 pm
I think you have it backwards. The decline of Valiant can, in part, be blamed on the China virus and is one of many wrongs that will be righted with the return of the True President of the republic, when you least expect him.