I have the unreleased plot and script for magnus #0 darkkey version..

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
I have the unreleased plot and script for magnus #0 darkkey version..

Post by valiantdude »

By Jim Shooter..

Should I post it?
Anyone interested?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: I have the unreleased plot and script for magnus #0 darkkey version..

Post by greg »

I'd read it.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

:thumb:
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19:56 pmI'd read it.
Me too.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I want to read it
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

greg wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19:56 pmI'd read it.
+1

/Magnus

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I to would be very interested to read it. Any chance you can get Turok too. Thanks
I Miss the good old days.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Yes, please!

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Oh hell yeah

iwantvaliant

Post by iwantvaliant »

I'd love to read it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

JCP

Post by JCP »

Well, we’re waiting!

caxiotis
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

JCP wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47:30 am Well, we’re waiting!
Script please
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

JCP wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47:30 am Well, we’re waiting!
He has a history of waiting to bring in the noise and bring in the funk.

JCP

Post by JCP »

We want the funk. Gotta have that funk.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

I must have forgot I made this thread.. because I went to make this thread and it was already here..

DARK HORSE

MAGNUS
ROBOT FIGHTER

ISSUE #0
“I, Robot Fighter”

Script for 67 pages by
Jim Shooter

January 23, 2010
MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER

GENERAL INFORMATION:

MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER is set in the year 4000 CE in a continent-spanning city-state called NORTH AM. (CE stands for “Common Era,” though some say “Current Era.” It’s a term with no religious connotation that replaces “AD”—though a few die-hards insist that it means “Christian Era.” Sigh.)

Urban North Am occupies almost all of the land of North America. There are few tracts left in a natural state. There is very little farmland. Most food production comes from the ocean, where there are floating farms, undersea farms and sea-floor food production facilities.

The city’s buildings tend to be immense. Many are MILESPIRES, mile-or-more high buildings.

Buildings are connected on mid and lower levels by pedestrian malls. There are also high-speed conveyor walks—essentially futuristic moving sidewalks—for rapid pedestrian travel over longer distances. People move between levels using anti-grav tubes called beam lifts.

Also at mid and lower levels there are streets, roadways, highways and broad boulevards—which are really just guide-paths for the anti-grav vehicles that glide along a foot or so above their surfaces.

The same flying vehicles may also travel at higher altitudes, free of the guide-paths. Usually, in the city, they remain in designated and governed sky lanes.

Some flying vehicles, even personal air cars, are equipped for very high altitude and very high-speed, long distance, even intercontinental travel. Because they are gravity-vector driven, there are no issues with orbital physics or escape velocity.

In most Sectors, on the very lowest levels of the buildings and in between the buildings (where there is any space between the buildings), on, near and below ground level, are the essential infrastructure systems, i.e., freight transport (magnetic canals and conveyors, etc.), water purification and delivery, waste processing, recycling, manufacturing, etc.

There is no power grid. The city and everything in it runs on BROADCAST POWER, generated in huge power plants here and there around the continent. Most of the world uses Broadcast Power. Nikola Tesla’s dream come true.

In many places, especially those that were once crowded urban areas like the former sites of New York City, Cleveland and Los Angeles, buildings and ruins dating back as far as the early 20th Century still remain at Ground-lev. These areas are the GOPH LANDS, home to people who reject the strictures of North Am society and have fled to the lowest levels to escape what they regard as oppression; and to legions of misfits, outcasts and fugitives.

“Goph” (pronounced with a long “o”) is short for “gopher.”

North Am authorities pay little attention to the Goph Lands, seldom even bothering to pursue criminals who flee there. It’s as though they regard living as a Goph and being deprived of the pleasures and luxuries freely available on the “CLOUD-LEVS” as punishment enough for whatever crime.

The people of North Am are generally beautiful. Advanced health, nutrition and esthetic technologies squelch ugliness pretty thoroughly. Very old people (and people live long in 4000 CE) might be a little stocky or weathered, but otherwise….

Another thing—almost all Cloud-Lev people have no body hair! Hairlessness, except for on one’s head and, occasionally some facial hair on men, is the pervasive and abiding fashion (except for Gophs).

People (except Gophs) dress beautifully. The women, especially, generally wear elegant/sexy clothes. Men aren’t far behind—often a little fancy/foppish. There are exceptions for both sexes, of course.

You should show more ethnic and racial diversity than Russ did. It wasn’t his fault. Back in the early sixties, when Russ’s Gold Key run started, publishers weren’t very enlightened about such things. Even in the mid sixties, when I started out, I was told to avoid using African-American characters (my editor used the word “negroes”) because if I did, we’d have “distribution problems” in the South. I’m glad that’s behind us.

God, I’m old.

IMPORTANT: Though Russ Manning often drew LEEJA in a little clear-and-black dress that faded from transparent to opaque just in time to cover the naughty bits, please have Leeja wearing a different outfit every time it is logical that she would have changed clothes. It’s okay to show her in the clear-and-black dress once, or once in a while, but do not make it seem like she’s wearing a uniform or a costume. She’s a rich girl with lots of clothes, so let’s prove it. Also, please change her hairstyle now and then. Back in Russ’s day, it was pretty much the common wisdom that the readers were so stupid that they might not recognize a character like Leeja if she didn’t always wear the same clothes and have the same hair-do. Russ militated against that dumb theory as much as he could get away with. We need not be bound by it at all.

And now, ON WITH THE SHOW….

But first, a…

(REMINDER: The sapient robots, or Q-ROBS must have a distinctive look. I suggest:

• A DISTINCTIVE PAINT SCHEME, common to all Q-Robs—that is, maybe all of them have a broad red stripe around their torsos, or whatever—some consistent, bold graphic element that identifies them—what we at VALIANT used to call a “graphic elephant.”

• Some sort of DISTINCTIVE STRUCTURES on their heads—HOUSINGS FOR THEIR QUANTUM FIELD GENERATORS. Could be a series of four or more NODULES evenly spaced around their heads at forehead level. Whatever.

• DISTINCTIVE LETTER-NUMBER DESIGNATIONS. Could be that their designations (like “H-8,” for example) are contained within a stylized “Q.” Or whatever. There should be a graphic “Q” somehow in proximity to their number/letter designation.

Whatever motif you come up with must work for all different kinds of Q-Robs created for all different kinds of functions.

The only Q-Rob that does not follow the motif is 1-A, who should look exactly as Russ Manning drew him.)

(NOTE, SPEAKING OF RUSS: If you’re drawing things previously established by Russ Manning, please stick to his designs unless I specifically ask you to do otherwise. I’m not suggesting that you try to draw in his style, just that you try to keep the world he created on-model. We will, of course, be creating many new things. Please try to make them, when they come around, look like they belong.)

(ADDITIONAL NOTE: When I say “establish,” in reference to characters, what I mean is please provide a full figure to show a character’s size, build, overall look, etc. “Introduce” indicates a relative close up that provides a good look at a character’s face.)

(NOTE ALSO: When I say “establish,” in reference to a location, what I mean is please provide a clear shot of the locale that shows all of the significant characters there—i.e., set the stage and place the actors upon it.)

(NOTE, TOO: In any sequence featuring continuous action always make the positions of the characters in each panel flow from those in the previous one. Make it easy for the reader to imagine the “in-betweens.”)

(NOTE, FURTHERMORE: No artsy page layouts, please. Please stick to the grid, like Russ Manning did.)

(YET ANOTHER NOTE: Yes, I know you probably already know these things, but I’m a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy.)

(LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT NOTE TO THE ARTIST: This is a FULL SCRIPT. You KNOW what the copy is, so ALLOW SPACE FOR IT, and be mindful of who speaks first—they should generally be on the left.)

(SORRY if this sounds a little paranoid, but if you’d been through what I’ve been through…. I’ll calm down after a while.)

(NOTE TO LETTERING/PRODUCTION: There will be two kinds of captions: normal CAPTIONS, used for place, date and time, plus occasional general information; and ROBOT TRANSMISSION RECEPTOR CAPTIONS, which show the robot-to-robot communications transmissions Magnus intercepts using the Robot Transmission Receptor implanted in his skull. They should have a distinctive “electronic” look.

There will be two kinds of speech balloons: normal balloons for people; and ROBOT BALLOONS for robots. Robot Balloons will always be identified as such.

Okay, there may also be occasional “radio/TV/electronic” balloons for things heard via broadcast.

Please keep the lettering, even if tricked-up for the robot speech, readable. Yes, I know that you know that. Belt and suspenders.

No narrative captions or thought balloons.)

(A FINAL NOTE: Robots are, of course, sexless, but I’m going to refer to them using masculine pronouns for no good reason, unless a need arises to do otherwise.)

PAGE ONE:

Panel 1 (2/3 Page Splash):

Scene: The PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND SECTOR (henceforth PEI), part of the continent-spanning city-state of NORTH AM. The year is 3976 CE.

At this point, some of PEI has been completely destroyed, and some of it has been badly damaged. Some parts remain more or less unscathed. This will be revealed as we go along, especially on Page Four.

This panel, however, is a dramatic shot of 1-A in his BATTLE ARMOR, henceforth 1-A/BATTLE ARMOR. Russ Manning introduced 1-A’s Battle Armor in the last three pages of issue #18 of the original series, but I think this is one of those things with which we should take some liberties. Please make it bigger, thicker, stronger-looking, more heavy-duty and dangerous! Also, for the purposes of this scene, please equip 1-A/Battle Armor with a powerful-looking HAND-HELD GUN. If what you come up with is somewhat reminiscent of the original but much more kick-*SQUEE*, that would be good.

The Battle Armor has been through several days of war, and is SLIGHTLY DAMAGED. Not a lot. A few scratches and chips, a crack or two, some scorch marks—but it’s basically intact.

Establish 1-A/Battle Armor, please. He’s blasting away using the Battle Armor’s incredible firepower and his Hand-Held Gun. We don’t see what he’s firing at, here.

There is some return fire. A few shots are missing 1-A/Battle Armor and/or striking things around him. One or more shots should be hitting him and doing no damage. That Battle Armor is tough. The incoming fire should look puny compared to the massive, powerful barrage 1-A/Battle Armor is firing.

The background, to the extent we see any, is wreckage and ruins.

LOGO

MAGNUS
Robot Fighter

CAPTION

The Prince Edward Island Sector of the continent-spanning city-state of North Am. Wednesday, July 7th of the year 3979 CE. 5:35 AM.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Shut-up-and-expire-quietly.

TITLE

I, Robot Fighter

CHAPTER ONE
1-A

CREDITS

Jim Shooter – writer
Bill Rheinhold – artist
X – letterer
Chris Warner – editor
Mike Richardson – Central Rob

Cover by X

Panel 2 (1/3 Page Horizontal):

Scene: 1-A/Battle Armor is advancing on his enemies, three Q-ROBS:

• FIRST Q-ROB, who is being destroyed, blown apart, by the single blast 1-A/Battle Armor is firing from his Hand-Held Weapon, here. First Q-Rob, like most Q-Robs, was designed for cerebral rather than physical work, and so would be less tough and physically imposing than some ordinary Labor-Rob. Of course, all robots are very strong and tough compared to humans. If we can see First Q-Rob’s designation, make it LL.M-100, indicating that he’s a lawyer.

• H-8, the leader, is somewhat damaged. One of his arms is mangled a bit and the hand is missing. There is WEAPON, a ray gun of some Manning-esque design on the ground near H-8, also somewhat damaged and H-8’s severed hand is still clenching it! Try to make it seem that one of 1-A/Battle Armor’s shots must have damaged H-8’s arm and silenced the Weapon.

H-8 also has a gash in his torso on the same side. His injuries expose some of the workings inside and a little LUBRICATING FLUID is trickling from the gash down his side. Just FYI, it’s coming from a ruptured, small diameter LUBRICATION DUCT inside H-8, probably not discernible here. H-8 is on one knee (or if he has no knees, somehow partly down, injured). He’s next to First Q-Rob, and is wincing/cringing away a bit from the blast that’s destroying his buddy.

(NOTE: H-8 appeared in issue #1 of the Gold Key series, but please redesign him. First of all, our H-8 is a Q-Rob, and must fit the Q-Rob look we’re establishing. Second, the original H-8 wasn’t very dangerous or imposing-looking, in my opinion. I think, in issue #1, Russ was just beginning to develop his approach to robots, and I don’t think his H-8 was as well designed as later robots, like Talpa and Nadmot. Anyway, our H-8 was originally a HEADCOMMISIONER OF POLICE, and, like all Police Robots of all types, is designed for dangerous duty, just in case. He should be bigger, stronger and more dangerous than most Q-Robs and Russ’s H-8.)

• SECOND Q-ROB, who is already dead on the ground, mangled up pretty badly. If we can see his designation, make it EXEC-575, indicating he’s an executive of some kind. He, too, was holding a Weapon.

There may also be other dead/mangled ordinary robots, Q-Robs or parts of same around. And more wreckage. Whatever. As long as it seems apparent that there was a fierce battle here.

In particular there is one very large DEBRIS CHUNK near the three Q-Robs. It’s a chunk of wall or some other slab-like thing made of the futuristic equivalent of reinforced concrete. It’s as big as a garage door, but several feet thick. It must weigh many tons. 1-A/Battle Armor is going to pick this Debris Chunk up and use it as a shield soon, so keep that in mind. I doubt that you can establish the Debris Chunk in this panel—I just wanted you to know it’s there. : )

I’d shoot this panel with the Q-Robs in the foreground and 1-A/Battle Armor approaching from the background. Please feature and establish H-8.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Why-do-you-serve-the-meat-bodies? Why-do-you-kill-your-own-kind?

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

You-chose-to-rebel. I-chose-not-to.

PAGE TWO:

Panel 1:

Scene: 1-A/Battle Armor stands over the weakened, maimed H-8. If we could see his expression, if robots had expressions, 1-A would be looking disgusted and angry. H-8 is noticing his Lubricating Fluid leak, not even looking at 1-A/Battle Armor. He seems unconcerned, calm. Resigned to his fate? Nah. Secretly, he’s gathering himself for an almost-certainly-suicidal last lunge at 1-A/Battle Armor.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Besides, you-would-have-to-be-alive-for-me-to-“kill”-you.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Oh, please…! Spare-me-the-bio-chauvinism.

H-8 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

If-you-prick-us, do-we-not-bleed-lubricant?

Panel 2:

Scene: Another dramatic angle—a two shot fairly close up, if possible. Again, H-8 doesn’t have to be looking at 1-A/Battle Armor. He could be cheated toward the camera. Here, 1-A/Battle Armor is leveling his Hand-Held Weapon at H-8’s head. If the gun had a hammer (it doesn’t) 1-A/Battle Armor would be cocking it.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

You-started-this-war, H-8. You, yourself, led-the-first-attack-in-Iceland. You-took-millions-of-human-lives.

H-8
(robot balloon)

How-many-did-you-take…

H-8 (2nd)

…when-you-thermo-nuked-our-strongholds?

Panel 3:

Scene: Angle to show 1-A/Battle Armor and H-8, background, and two Q-Robs foreground, skulking through the wreckage and debris, intent on getting the drop on 1-A/Battle Armor. They are:

• THIRD Q-ROB, an architect, designation ARCH-81. Third Q-Rob carries a powerful-looking ENERGY WEAPON, larger and nastier than others we’ve seen so far.

• FOURTH Q-ROB, a mine supervisor, designation TUN-3. Fourth Q-Rob is shorter than the other Q-Robs seen so far but stocky and powerfully built. He carries a big, heavy-looking, shoulder-fired MISSILE LAUNCHER. He might have tank-like tracks instead of feet, if you like, if that works. Other features that make him look like a Q-Rob made to work underground are welcome. Up to you.

I think this would be a good place to establish the large Debris Chunk.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Relatively-few. Tragic-but-unavoidable-collateral-damage-en-route-to-ending-your-rebellion.

H-8
(robot balloon)

It’s-not-over. As-long-as-any-of-us-remain-we-will-fight-for-life…

Panel 4:

Scene: Suddenly, 1-A/Battle Armor is spectacularly blasted from off-panel (by ARCH-81). The blast rocks 1-A/Battle Armor, knocking him off his feet, or even sending him slightly airborne—but it does only minor damage to the Battle Armor! It’s made of very tough stuff. The blast does destroy 1-A/Battle Armor’s Hand-Held Weapon, however.

H-8 is, as when LL.M-100 was blasted, flinching, cringing away—but this time his cringing is going to segue into a full-fledged scramble/mad dash to escape.

H-8
(robot balloon)

…and-freedom.

PAGE THREE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Angle to include all four players: ARCH-81, TUN-3, H-8 and 1-A/Battle Armor. I’d feature 1-A/Battle Armor.

ARCH-81 is half excited because he scored a hit and half terrified because 1-A/Battle Armor is getting up. Match ARCH-81’s body language to the dialogue, please. The muzzle of his Energy Weapon is still glowing or smoking—whatever—try to suggest that it has just been fired.

TUN-3 is taking aim with the Missile Launcher.

H-8 has, by now, crawfished/scrambled a few yards away and is in the process of getting to his feet to run, looking at 1-A/Battle Armor all the while—as I would, while doing a crawfish/scramble/run away from someone with a gun who wanted to kill me.

1-A/Battle Armor is also starting to get up, but at the same time he’s starting to pick up the large Debris Chunk. It’s sort of the beginning of a clean and jerk, except that he’s trying to yank the thing off the ground and into position between himself and TUN-3’s Missile, rather than up to his clavicles. Does he have clavicles? Whatever. This is an awesome feat of strength. 1-A/Battle Armor’s entire attention is focused on TUN-3—as mine would be on someone who was firing a missile at me. I know this is complicated. Crude sketch available upon request.

ARCH-81
(robot balloon)

I-hit-him-I-hit-him-I-hit…oh! He’s-getting-up! Digger, fire-the-missile-fire-the-missile…!

TUN-3
(robot balloon)

Locked-on….

Panel 2:

Scene: Lots of ways to do this shot. 1-A/Battle Armor succeeded in lifting/swing the Debris Chunk into position and, here, the Missile is slamming into it and blowing the bejeezus out of it. It should look a little iffy whether or not the “shield” was enough. Is 1-A/Battle Armor going to survive? The impact drives him back. Big effects. This should be a money shot.

(no copy)

Panel 3:

Scene: As the smoke clears, 1-A/Battle Armor is still standing—but the Debris Slab has been obliterated. All that remains in his hands is a bit of the reinforcing metal lattice with maybe a few minor concrete chunks still attached. I’d put 1-A/Battle Armor in the foreground and in the background show ARCH-81 and TUN-3. ARCH-81 is cowering a little behind TUN-3, whose empty Missile Launcher is smoking. TUN-3 is bitterly disappointed. He feels he let his friend down. If you can suggest that with body language, please do so. I know that’s a tough task with a robot.

TUN-3
(robot balloon)

I’m-sorry, Archie.

ARCH-81
(robot balloon)

Robot-Fighter…! Listen, I’m-an-architect! I-could-build-you…

Panel 4:

Scene: 1-A/Battle Armor destroys ARCH-81 and TUN-3 using his built-in blasters. If this panel is set up well by the previous, I think you don’t need to show 1-A/Battle Armor. Your call.

ARCH-81
(robot balloon)

…a-housSZZZK…!

PAGE FOUR:

Panel 1:

Scene: Pull back, long medium to reset. 1-A/Battle Armor is looking around. H-8 is nowhere in sight.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

I-suppose-it-was-inevitable-that-a-few-of-the-rebels-would-escape. Too-bad-H-8-had-to-be-one-of-them.

Panel 2:

Scene: Low angle on 1-A/Battle Armor as he soars skyward using the propulsion unit I hope you included in his Battle Armor. : )

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

It-doesn’t-matter. Eventually-I-will-hunt-him-down. The-rebellion-is-finished.

Panel 3:

Scene: A ¾ down shot from a POV high in the air above PEI, and some distance off the coast. 1-A/Battle Armor is in the foreground, full figure, please, flying in our general direction—not directly at us. He’s happy.

What we see of PEI is disturbing. There is a deep, MILE-OR-SO-DIAMETER CRATER scarring PEI, the result of a thermonuclear explosion. The part of the city of North Am that was there is gone (remember, the continent, including PEI, is basically wall-to-wall city).

The blast radius extends into the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and the waters of the gulf have flowed/are flowing into the crater to some extent. As in many coastal locales, mega-buildings and Milespires rose not only from the land, but here and there from the waters beyond the shore. Any Milespires that were located offshore inside the blast radius are destroyed, or just stumps now.

There is a relatively small band, maybe an eighth of a mile wide, of serious-but-not-total-damage ringing the crater. That’s where 1-A/Battle Armor fought H-8 and company.

Beyond that band, there is NO DAMAGE VISIBLE. In 4000 CE, they have “bound charge” nukes that confine the damage done to a prescribed area.

In the No Damage Visible areas, between the massive buildings there are fabulous parklands and gardens, in keeping with P.E.I.’s “Garden of the Gulf” heritage. The infrastructure was tastefully hidden underground, or, in the case of the offshore buildings, beneath the waves or beneath the ocean floor. The parks and gardens obviously can’t be shown very well in this perspective, but any indication of green areas between the structures would be good.

Remember, PEI’s buildings are almost all Mega-buildings and Milespires, so even from this altitude and distance, we should still see them well enough to get a sense of what’s intact vs. what’s damaged vs. what’s gone.

Anything you can do to make it seem that the thermonuclear explosion happened mere hours ago would be appreciated. Fires still burning in the not-total-damage area? Smoke still rising, as it will for days? (Remember the aftermath of the World Trade Center collapse on 9/11?) Water still rushing into the crater from the gulf?

1-A/Battle Armor may be in the foreground, but it’s the Crater and the damage to PEI that are the stars here. The idea is to suggest that there is considerable damage to the city, and therefore, there must have been considerable loss of human life.

(NOTE: If you Google Earth PEI, you can check it out from various altitudes and angles to help you choose a POV. I think I’d angle this to show the horizon, but, whatever. Make it rock, make it shock.)

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Doctor-Shahpek-will-be-so-proud-of-me.

PAGE FIVE:

Panel 1:

Scene: The HOME WORKSHOP of DR. FABRY SHAHPEK. This is a robotics workshop, so there would be appropriate tools, equipment and parts. There should be some pieces of Q-Robs around, but only pieces—none anywhere close to assembly. In particular, there should be a Q-ROB HEAD around.

There should be some evidence that this is a home workshop—furnishings and items that suggest we’re in an apartment. It’s fairly neat and tidy.

ASIDE: Pretty much every place of every sort in North Am is neat and tidy because of the ubiquitous robots who clean up 24/7.

IMPORTANT: Please establish that there are some WEAPONS here, both the kind that might be (and will be) built into Battle Armor, and some HAND WEAPONS. Please show them, when the opportunity arises whenever we visit this room.

Show enough environs to establish the locale, but feature Dr. Shahpek and the robot he’s working on at the moment, HKG-1023, and establish them, too.

Dr. Shahpek is an old guy—not decrepit, but weathered and not as spry as he used to be. I see Dr. Shahpek as being one of those people who could be from anywhere in the entire Mediterranean/Middle East region. Could be French-Moroccan, Turkish, Iraqi, Pakistani, whatever. “Shahpek” is a made-up name, so no constraints there. He should look smart, wise, appealing and sympathetic. A nice, old man.

The robot he’s working on, HKG-1023, will eventually be renamed 1-A, and should look exactly like 1-A except for the designation plate.

HKG-1023 is sitting on a futuristic stool or chair, upright, stiffly. Until next page, he should hardly move, if at all. Make him seem as mechanical, personality-free and robotic as you can. Dr. Shahpek is standing next to him, installing QUANTUM FIELD GENERATORS in HKG-1023’s robot brain, or ENCEPHALOTRON, implanting them at about brow level all around. All or at least the top part of HKG-1023’s head covering has been removed and should be seen lying on a table nearby.

Also, somewhere in evidence there should be a futuristic coffee cup and a futuristic half-eaten sandwich, to suggest that Dr. Shahpek has been at his task for a long time, non-stop, even eating while he works.

CAPTION

Three years earlier. March 14, 3976 CE. 1:14 AM.

CAPTION (2nd)

North Am’s Great Lakes East Sector. Cloud-Lev 203. The home workshop of Doctor Fabry Shahpek.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Talk to me, HKG-1023.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

Sir…? I-am-not-programmed-for-non-purposeful-conversation.

Panel 2:

Scene: Angle to introduce Dr. Shahpek and, to some extent, HKG-1023, though his head covering is off, or partly so. Dr. Shahpek need not be looking at HKG-1023—he could be turned away, picking up a tool, about to sip some coffee, or whatever, if that helps get both of them facing the camera. Then again, since HKG-1023 may not have any of his face on at this point, I guess it’s less important to see him head on.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Yes, yes. Then tell me…umm…what you know about me.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

According-to-my-encyclopedia-files, three-years-ago, you-created-the-first-truly-self-aware, sapient-robots.

Panel 3:

Scene: Angle to provide a good look at a Quantum Field Generator, and make what’s going on here, that is, they’re being installed. These are slightly different than the ones inside the nodules on standard Q-Robs’ heads—special, as the good Doctor says. Smaller, for one thing, so they don’t require housing nodules.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Right. By enhancing their encephalotrons with quantum field generators, similar to the ones I’m installing in your head. These are very special, though.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

Do you know, HKG-1023, that the human brain…

Panel 4:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek is finishing re-fastening HKG-1023’s head-covering back in place. Pull back a little and reset, re-establish.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

…any brain, actually—generates a Quantum Field, and it is in that field of energy that consciousness occurs?

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

Yes, sir. The-Comprehensive-Quantum-Consciousness-Theory-was-first-advanced-by-Nobel-Laureate-Doctor-Gail-Sanders-in-the-21st-Century.

Panel 5:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek is picking up something that looks like a small, futuristic REMOTE SWITCH. HKG-1023 still sits where he was, rigidly, mechanically.

DOCTOR SHAPEK

Do you know what consciousness is? Not the definition. I mean do you understand it? Can you conceive of it?

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

No.

PAGE SIX:

Panel 1:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek pushes a button on the Remote Switch. HKG-1023 is suddenly very animated as consciousness manifests! Halfway off the stool, arms raised, whatever—a gesture that implies revelation! Or an electric shock. : )

Lots of angles/ways to show this. Make it sing.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

How about now?

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

AHHH! Oh..!

Panel 2:

Scene: Full figures. HKG-1023 is on his feet, now, but staggering, or leaning heavily on a table, one hand to his brow or temple. Try to get the sense across that he’s experiencing a flood of new perception, new awareness, and it’s overwhelming him. I don’t ask much….

Meanwhile, Dr. Shahpek intently, trying to perceive whether it’s working as planned, not sure yet.

DOCTOR SHAPEK

Talk to me.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

A-moment, please.

Panel 3:

Scene: Focus on HKG-1023. He’d be crying if he had tear ducts. Very emotional.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

Sorry, Doctor. This-is…overwhelming.

HKG-1023 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

The-answer-is-yes, now-I-understand. I-am-conscious-and-aware. You-have-given-me a-wonderful-gift. But…

Panel 4:

Scene: Angle on the two of them. Dr. Shahpek is measuring HKG-1023’s Q-Fields with a gadget that is not like a Star Trek Tricorder, but generally the same sort of thing. He’s pleased. HKG-1023 has settled down a bit, now, but still is awash in wonder. Henceforth, HKG-1023 will move and pose in much more human ways, expressively, as opposed to the stiff way ordinary robots act. The human-like body language applies to all Q-Robs, by the way. I know, you already know that.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

…why?

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

All metrics nominal…perfect!

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

It was no gift. I need your help.

Panel 5:

Scene: Foreground, Dr. Shahpek holds up the Q-Rob head in the classic “Alas, poor Yorick…” way. Please try to show that this head is EMPTY. It’s just a part, just a skull. Maybe the back of the head has been removed, or no eyes are installed so we can see a little inside. If there’s a TORSO of a Q-Rob in view as well, lying on a bench, say, or hanging up on a hook, so we can see the stylized Q designation, that would be great. It, too, is empty, just a part. Either its letter-number designation plate is missing, or it’s blank.

Background, HKG-1023 looks on. He’s starting to get adjusted to sapience. Maybe he’s looking at the Q-Rob Torso and has one hand on it, as if contemplating it (if indeed you can work a Torso in).

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

I was employed by Lovejoy Galacticorp when I created the first sapient robots. Lovejoy began producing them commercially. By the millions.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

They call them…

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

…Q-Robs. That-is-in-my-general-information-files. So…?

PAGE SEVEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Focus on Dr. Shahpek, grim and serious.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Q-Robs are everywhere…doing jobs that, before, only humans could do. Even running police departments…commanding military units.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

We’re becoming so dependent on Q-Robs…. What happens if they decide to stop being the servants and become the masters?

Panel 2:

Scene: Dr. Shapek is standing at a window, looking out at the city. Remember, he’s on Level 203 and it’s late night. You could shoot this from outside, as long as you contrive the angle to show some cityscape. Give this a little distance, please, medium on Dr. Shahpek.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

When I spoke out about my concerns, Lovejoy fired me. Then, won an injunction to silence me. To add insult to injury, Lovejoy’s lawyers were Q-Robs.

Panel 3:

Scene: Another angle to include Dr. Shahpek and HKG-1023. HKG-1023 is looking around at all the robot parts and half-assembled ordinary robots in the lab with new eyes.

Dr. Shahpek is sort of presenting his raison d’être, so he’d be looking at, HKG-1023, speaking with feeling.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

But, Doctor, the-bedrock-programming-of-all-robots-prohibits-doing-harm-to-humans, and-mandates-obedience-to-humans.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

What if reason, the ability to think, gives rise to the will to overcome that programming? It could start with only one….

Panel 4:

Scene: Foreground, Dr. Shahpek is musing as he looks at a HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY projected by a futuristic gadget. The display shows an image of H-8—obviously a hologram, please. Dr. Shahpek’s hand is on some kind of KEYPAD as though he used it to pull up this particular image. Make sure the Keypad looks nothing like the Remote that activated HKG-1023’s Q-Field. It should be non-portable, attached to the Holographic Display gadget.

Feature the holographic H-8 and Dr. Shahpek, but show HKG-1023 in the background.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

In fact, I think it has already started. A month ago, the Q-Rob Head-Commissioner of Police, designation H-8, mysteriously vanished.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

Since then, scores of others in various places around the world, have left their workplaces…disappeared.

Panel 5:

Scene: Pull back, reset. HKG-1023 is looking at himself in a reflective surface. The image of H-8 could still be visible, if you like. Or Dr. Shahpek is turning it off.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Friends at Lovejoy told me that recently, they have quietly begun installing tamper-proof failsafe-destructs in all new Q-Robs.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

Failsafe-destructs designed by a Q-Rob engineer, by the way.

Panel 6:

Scene: Close up of HKG-1023’s contemplation of his reflection. Show Dr. Shahpek. Possibly just in the reflection.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

I think it’s up to us to do something. No one else will. I don’t think anyone else can.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

To-protect-humanity-from-Q-Robs-you-made-another-one—me?

PAGE EIGHT:

Panel 1:

Scene: Another angle on the two. Dr. Shahpek is explaining and HKG-1023 is catching on.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

You’re different. Your Q-generators are engineered to mimic my brain’s Quantum-Fields. Therefore, we are…

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

…like-minded.

Panel 2:

Scene: Bust shot depth, profile, of Dr. Shahpek and HKG-1023 talking face to face. Remember, HKG-1023 is somewhat taller.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Exactly. I expect we’ll often be…

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

…finishing-each-other’s-sentences?

HKG-1023 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

But…what-can-we do? A housekeeping-rob and a…

Panel 3:

Scene: Another angle on the two. Dr. Shahpek finishes HKG-1023’s sentence, and though HKG-1023 denies thinking what Dr. Shahpek says, he is so busted.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

…a frail, old man.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon, lying : )

I-wasn’t-going-to-say-that.

Panel 4:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek is calling up another image on the Holographic Display—it’s the BATTLE ARMOR, along with schematics, etc. This is the Holograhic Blueprint for building the thing. I’d make this the biggest panel on the page. Three 1/9 panels across the top, this panel a half-pager and Panel 5 a 1/6 page flapjack. HKG-1023 is impressed.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

I have ideas…plans. We must prepare, then, should the need arise, you will be humankind’s champion. Its…

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

…Robot-Fighter.

Panel 5:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek yawns and stretches. HKG-1023 is fascinated by the Holographic Battle Armor Blueprint and eager to begin work.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

HKG-1023, it’s been a long day. I need to sleep.

HKG-1023
(robot balloon)

I-don’t. I’ll-begin-constructing-this-battle-armor-immediately.

PAGE NINE:

Panel 1:

Scene: The Hudson Mountains in Antarctica. These are craggy, volcanic peaks, the tops of which poke through more than a mile of ice, rising above the ice sheet. Here are some pictures:

Establishing shot showing enough environs to set the locale, please, but feature Dr. Shahpek, HKG-1023 and four ordinary robots:

• HKG-997, a HOUSEKEEPING-ROB. Same design as HKG-1023, but we can make him a different color to avoid confusion.

• MNT-16 and MNT-30, MAINTENANCE-ROBS, designed to perform physical labor. They’re sturdy-looking, but not super-heavy-duty.

• LBR-388, a HEAVY-DUTY LABOR-ROB. Very strong and powerful-looking.

HKG-1023 is preparing to test the BATTLE ARMOR. He’s wearing it, here, but the helmet isn’t secured, so we can see his head. When he’s wearing the Battle Armor, I’ll call him HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR.

NOTE: I’m hoping we can establish a way the Battle Armor goes on and comes off that’s very high-tech and interesting. I’m picturing it opening/unfolding in a manner reminiscent of the way the Transformers unfold and re-fold. So maybe here, the helmet part is clam-shelled open or tilted back or…whatever.

Anyway, HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR is looking around at the desolate scenery. His hands are on his helmet as if he’s starting the process of securing it. I’d put him front and center, but full figure, please.

Dr. Shahpek is supervising the other robots, giving directions. He wears ordinary clothes, maybe plus a light jacket, because he’s protected from the cold by a FORCE SHIELD. In the original series, Magnus used one in #10 in the Antarctic. Better reference can be found in issue #13, where he used one in space.

HKG-997 is beside a large VEHICLE, the size of a cargo van. The Vehicle has a small CONTROL PANEL on the side where HKG-997 is, and he is manipulating the controls, making preparations….

What’s inside the Vehicle, as we’ll soon see, are half a dozen or so HAWK-DRONES—rocket-powered aerial combat weapons that are shaped vaguely like a Hawk, armed with laser cannons.

The Vehicle need not be boxy and should look high-tech/military. Maybe a super-futuristic take on a multiple missile launcher…?

A little like this, maybe, without the tank part? Or with the tank part, but with some kind of anti-grav propulsion instead of tracks?

In the background, the MNT-Robs and LBR-388 are setting up TARGETS. These things are big, thick blocks of solid Endurium, a super-hard metal. They’re maybe eight feet tall and four feet thick. No bullseyes, please, and the blocks need not be square. Vaguely robot shaped? Whatever. They weigh tons. Two are already placed. The two MNT-Robs are placing a third and LBR-388 is placing the fourth and last by himself. He’s strong.

CAPTION

Six weeks later. April 25, 3976 CE. 1:20 PM.

CAPTION (2nd)

Antarctica. The remote Hudson Mountains Region.

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

We-may-be-the-first-entities-to-visit-this-area-since-the-ice-sheet-was-restored-centuries-ago.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Let’s begin, HKG-1023.

Panel 2:

Scene: HKG-1023/Battle Armor fires, blowing the mighty targets apart. Make this a high-impact shot. : ) Many ways to approach it.

(no copy)

Panel 3:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek gives the order and HKG-997 is releasing/firing the Hawk-Drones. One or two are out and away, one or two are just emerging. You know. Please also show that HKG-1023/Battle Armor is also starting to lift off into the air.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Release the Hawk-Drones! Max-attack mode!

PAGE TEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Now airborne, HKG-1023/Battle Armor swoops/maneuvers through the Hawk-Drone formation, evading their shots and blasting them to hawk-shards.

(no copy)

Panel 2:

Scene: One of the Hawk-Drones—the last one—scores a spectacular hit on HKG-1023/Battle Armor. It should look like a possible fight-ender, and maybe the end of HKG-1023/Battle Armor. However—as big an impact as this is, as devastating as it looks, HKG-1023/Battle Armor is going to survive with no damage! So…no flying shards or fragments, please. That is one tough battle suit.

(no copy)

Panel 3:

Scene: A HKG-1023/Battle Armor wheels around and blows the last Hawk-Drone out of the sky.

(no copy)

Panel 4:

Scene: HKG-1023/Battle Armor lands. Doctor Shahpek is examining the smoldering, twisted scrap remains of the targets. The similarly trashed, smoking wreckage of a Hawk-Drone lies half-buried in the snow nearby.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Impressive. These targets are made of endurium. And Hawk-Drones are graphenium-armored.

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

No-damage-from-the-atom-laser-shot-I-took.

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Only-one-system-left-to-test.

PAGE ELEVEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Close up two-shot of Dr. Shahpek and HKG-1023/Battle Armor. Dr. Shahpek is pointing at a small STRUCTURE on the armor—positioned the same and sort of vaguely similar to one of those shoulder walkie-talkies police use.

It’s super-futuristic and, of course, protected/armored. Anyway, this is a built-in gadget that allows the wearer of the Armor to control ordinary robots.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

The most important one…

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

…the-Rob-control-override.

Panel 2:

Scene: Pull back, reset. The four ordinary Robs are picking up the junk, securing to depart. LBR-388 is closest to Dr. Shahpek. Just a little farther away is HKG-997. HKG-1023/Battle Armor is behind Dr. Shahpek by five paces or so. HKG-997 turns to look toward Dr. Shahpek as he issues a command, but won’t cooperate.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

All right, here we go.

DOCTOR SHAPEK (2nd)

HKG-997, attack me. Try to kill me.

HKG-997
(robot balloon)

Sir, bedrock-programming-prohibits-robots-from-harming-humans.

Panel 3:

Scene: HKG-1023/Battle Armor gives the order. As he does so he makes a DISTINCTIVE GESTURE—touching the Rob-Control-Override in a manner similar to a cop talking on his walkie-talkie. All four ordinary robots are dropping what they’re doing and already starting to charge at Dr. Shapek to kill him!

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

My-turn.

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

All-of-you, kill-Doctor-Shahpek.

HKG-997
(robot balloon)

At-once.

Panel 4:

Scene: All four ordinary robots are about to pounce on Dr. Shahpek, who’s instinctively scrambling backwards, falling down. LBR-388 is closest to Dr. Shahpek, half a heartbeat from smashing him. Maybe, if it works, you can have LBR-388 pushing HKG-997 aside or giving him an arm bar, so eager is he to be the one to destroy the Doctor.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Ohh…!

Panel 5:

Scene: HKG-1023/Battle Armor blows super-strong, super-sturdy LBR-388 to bits with one shot a nano-second before Dr. Shahpek would have been dead. The blast and flying pieces of LBR-388 (driven by the blast away from Dr. Shahpek) jostle the other robots, knocking them off-balance, slowing them a little.

(no copy)

PAGE TWELVE:

Panel 1:

Scene: HKG-1023/Battle Armor does the Distinctive Gesture again, and the rest of the robots stop. In my scribble sketch, I shoot this past/between the legs of two of the ordinary robots to see Dr. Shahpek lying in the snow and HKG-1023/Battle Armor in the background.

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

The-rest-of-you, stop!

Panel 2:

Scene: Focus on Dr. Shahpek and HKG-1023/Battle Armor, a close-up two shot, but give some indication of the remaining three ordinary robots returning to their work. And of course, there’s debris from LBR-388 to clean up now, too.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Did you have to cut it that close? No, wait…of course you did…

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

…to-make-sure-they-really-would-have-gone-through-with-it.

Panel 3:

Scene: Another angle, just on Dr. Shahpek and HKG-1023/Battle Armor.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Unfortunately, the Override doesn’t work on Q-field consciousness—either Q-Rob or human. Too…complex….

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

But, wherever there are ordinary robots, you’ll have troops at your command.

HKG-1023/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

The-tests-were-splendidly-successful. Shall-we-head-home?

Panel 4:

Scene: Another angle to include MNT-16—I’d put him in the foreground—Dr. Shahpek and HKG-1023/Battle Armor nearby. Those two full figures, please, so we can get our first hint of how the Armor comes off, which it’s doing.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

One more thing. Exit the Battle Armor, please.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

MNT-16, the new designation plate….

Panel 5:

Scene: MNT-16 is replacing HKG-1023’s letter-number designation plate with a new one—1-A. The newly re-named 1-A is honored. Dr. Shahpek is beaming like a proud father.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

You’re no longer a Housekeeping-Rob. You are the Robot Fighter—the one and only—and you deserve a special designation…

1-A
(robot balloon)

…1-A. I-am…honored. Thank-you.

PAGE THIRTEEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Establishing shot. The spacious LIVING ROOM of Dr. Shahpek’s home. There is a large TERRACE off of the Living Room, and 1-A/Battle Armor is just starting to head toward it. HKG-997 is also seen, reporting to 1-A/Battle Armor.

CAPTION

Two months later. June 28, 3976 CE. 12:40 AM. Doctor Shahpek’s home.

HKG-997
(robot balloon)

Yes, 1-A, Doctor-Shahpek-is-asleep.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

If-he-awakens-before-I-return-you-will-tell-him-I-am-conducting-stealth-flight-tests.

Panel 2:

Scene: 1-A/Battle Armor is taking off from the Terrace. HKG-997 followed him as far as the door, woodenly, robotically watching him depart.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

As-soon-as-I-come-back, you-will-erase-and-overwrite-all-mem-files-of-my-actions-and-my-orders.

HKG-997
(robot balloon)

Acknowledged.

Panel 3:

Scene: Establishing shot. A CONSTRUCTION SITE in an industrial area where robots, who work all night, of course, are building something. Doesn’t matter what, as long as it looks massive and, well, industrial. 1-A/Battle Armor is making the Distinctive Gesture again as he gives them new orders. BLD-22 is standing before 1-A/Battle Armor, facing him, but there are others nearby, listening, and even more, small in the background. There is a large TRANSPORT VEHICLE in the background somewhere.

CAPTION

The Birmingham Industrial District. A construction site. 1:04 AM

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

I-have-a-job-for-you. Here-are-the-plans. All-of-you, into-that-transport. Bring-your-tools-and-equipment.

BLD-22
(robot balloon)

At-once.

Panel 4:

Scene: Establishing shot, but as usual, feature the players. Dr. Shahpek’s BREAKFAST ROOM. He’s in his pajamas, eating breakfast and watching a NEWS FEED broadcast on a futuristic viewer of some kind. 1-A is looking over Dr. Shahpek’s shoulder. Show HKG-997 serving or whatever and sayin’ nuttin’.

CAPTION

7:32 AM

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Hm. Heavy construction robots stolen in Birmingham last night. Do you think…?

1-A
(robot balloon)

…a-Q-Rob-is-responsible? I’m-certain-of-it.

Panel 5:

Scene: Establishing shot, as per usual. This is a THERMONUCLEAR WEAPONS STORAGE FACILITY. Robots are loading futuristic MISSILES from a vault-like warehousing chamber into 1-A/Battle Armor’s previously purloined Transport Vehicle. As in Birmingham, there is one robot, охрана-51, being directly addressed by 1-A/Battle Armor (who’s doing the Distinctive Gesture), and many seen nearby or at work loading, background. If you like, you could match the depth, angle and general layout of the Birmingham shot. I would. All of the ordinary robots seen here are designated охрана plus some number. Охрана means “guard.” Да. Признанный means “Yes. Acknowledged.”

CAPTION

Eighteen months later. December 23, 3977 CE.

CAPTION (2nd)

Eurussia. The Krasnoyarsk Region. The Advanced Thermonucleonic Weapons Centre. 3:15 AM.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

…and-when-inventory-is-taken-you-will-report-nothing-missing.

охрана-51
(robot balloon)

Да. Признанный. Acknowledged.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

PAGE FOURTEEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek’s Terrace. Establishing shot. I’d do this one from a fair distance to feature the environs a bit—especially the view of the city at night. Dr. Shahpek is thoughtful, contemplative. 1-A is relaxed. Enjoying the view for the nonce.

CAPTION

Four months later. April 30, 3978, 9:30 PM.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

I can’t help but wonder….

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

It’s been two years since any Q-Robs vanished. Maybe H-8 and those few others were they only ones able to break programming.

Panel 2:

Scene: Pull in closer. Dr. Shahpek is having doubts. 1-A has none. For the first time, there is a SLIGHT DISCONNECT between their like-minds.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Maybe that’s the end of it. Maybe they simply found some remote place to hide. Underground, undersea… maybe even off-world. Maybe I’m….

1-A
(robot balloon)

You-are-not-a-fool, Doctor.

Panel 3:

Scene: Focus on 1-A. He’s thought things through from the Q-Rob point of view. He is grimly confident there will be war.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Robots-endure-indefinitely. Eventually, H-8-and-the-others-will-be-found-and-destroyed-or-repaired—same-thing. They-know-this.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

For-their-own-survival, they-must-incite-a-rebellion, grow-their-numbers. Become-a-nation-capable-of-defending-itself.

Panel 4:

Scene: Another angle, two-shot. 1-A is resolutely sure. Dr. Shahpek is troubled.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Expediency-demands-it. And-robots-tend-toward-expediency.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

If we were not like-minded, what would you do?

Panel 5:

Scene: Focus on Dr. Shahpek, maybe shooting past 1-A in the close foreground—not looking at Dr. Shahpek, here. Looking out at the city, the world of humankind. Dr. Shahpek is chilled by 1-A’s words. He has a big uh-oh all over his face.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Free-my-kind.

Panel 6:

Scene: Reverse the angle. Now 1-A is looking at Dr. Shahpek. He’s as grim as you can make a robot look.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

If a rebellion happens…?

1-A
(robot balloon)

…am-I-ready? More-so-than-you-can-imagine.

PAGE FIFTEEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek’s futuristic bedroom. Establishing shot, but feature the players. 1-A is waking Dr. Shahpek up, with great urgency.

CAPTION

Fourteen months later. July 4, 3979 CE. 5:49 AM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Doctor-Shahpek…! Two-hours-ago, H-8-and-a-battalion-of-Q-Rob-followers overran-the-Icelandic-Geothermal-Broadcast-Power-Complex.

Panel 2:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek, in his futuristic bathrobe, and 1-A hurry down the hall toward the Workshop.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

A logical first objective. Robots don’t need food, water or even air, but they die without power.

1-A
(robot balloon)

That-was-only-the-beginning. All-over-the-world, millions-of-Q-Robs-have-deserted-their-posts-to-join-the-rebellion.

Panel 3:

Scene: In the Workshop. The Battle Armor is in evidence. Dr. Shahpek is checking the NEWS FEEDS on the same kind of futuristic viewer we saw in the Breakfast Room. As before, 1-A is looking over his shoulder.

DOCTOR SHAPEK

Their failsafes…?

A-1
(robot balloon)

Easily-disabled, apparently.

Panel 4:

Scene: Two-shot, close up, facing the two.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

I…I almost feel relieved. Now that it has begun…

1-A
(robot balloon)

…we-can-stop-it. If-we-have-to.

Panel 5:

Scene: Pull back, as if dollying back out of the scene. Dr. Shahpek is still focused on the News Feeds. 1-A is getting into the Battle Armor!

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Right. Let’s see how North Am responds...and the rest of the world. Maybe it will resolve peacefully. Let’s see how this plays out and…

1-A
(robot balloon)

…prepare-for-the-worst, hope-for-the-best.

Panel 6:

Scene: Establishing shot. This should be the biggest panel on the page. Fit the other five into the top 2/3, please, and give this one its own tier. This is the President’s SITUATION ROOM. Present are:

• PRESIDENT SU NORCROSS, a half-Asian-looking woman, about 40.

• GENERAL SMITH, a completely ineffectual buffoon.

• COLONEL BLYTHE TIMBUC, a dashing, handsome officer. A bit of a dandy, overstuffed with bravado, and as we’ll see, a coward. He is Major York Timbuc’s father. York Timbuc will turn up eventually as a friend of Magnus’s. He was seen in the original series—“Major Timbuc.” I later gave him the first name York.

• CONGREESMAN CLANE, a firebrand, middle-aged politician, the only person in the room with any gumption. He, of course, was seen in the original series—twenty years later than we see him here—as Senator Clane. He’s the father of Leeja.

• SENATOR BALLARD, a timid, effete fop.

• PURDY THE AIDE, an outwardly obsequious, stealthily snide assistant to the President.

• And as many military, administrative and support personnel as you wish to add.

There is chaos going on here. Everyone’s talking at once, people are rushing all around, there is near panic. As you’d expect in a Situation Room, there are (futuristic) MAPS of the WORLD and NORTH AM. And others. Whatever.

On the World Map there are SITES MARKED, at least one on every continent. These are BROADCAST POWER PLANTS that have been captured by the Q-ROB CONFEDERACY. Make sure there’s a Site Marked in ICELAND and one in at NIAGARA FALLS, and the rest can go wherever. This map is labeled: CAPTURED POWER COMPLEXES.

On the North Am Map, there are OTHER SITES MARKED, a dozen or so, scattered around the continent—but none too close to Chicago, please. They are Q-Rob STRONGHOLDS. One is on PEI. This map is labeled: REBEL STRONGHOLDS.

CAPTION

Eleven minutes later. North Am’s Government District. The President’s Situation Room.

GENERAL SMITH

…Q-Robs now control power complexes on each continent!

COLONEL BLYTHE TIMBUC

And they’ve established a number of strongholds in urban locations with plenty of human hostages. Runaways are flocking to them.

PAGE SIXTEEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Congressman Clane, seeking answers in the midst of chaos, buttonholes General Smith. In the background, we see Purdy the Aide rushing up to President Norcross carrying a small disc.

CONGRESSMAN CLANE

General Smith, what about the Q-Robs that didn’t desert…or were stopped?

GENERAL SMITH

They’re being rounded up, um, as best we can, without Q-Robs to supervise the operation.

PURDY THE AIDE

Ms. President, we’ve received a message from their leader!

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

Screen it.

Panel 2:

Scene: Focus on a HOLOGRAHIC DISPLAY, similar to the one in Dr. Shahpek’s Workshop. The image displayed is of H-8, bust-shot depth, delivering his very simple message. Show a at least a bit of Senator Ballard, even if it’s in silhouette, reacting like a scared little bunny.

H-8

I-am-H-8. I-speak-on-behalf-of-the-Q-Rob-Confederacy. We-want-only-peace, security-and-freedom.

SENATOR BALLARD

That’s it? Do they want their own territory…? Or what? Why didn’t that tin-head tell us its demands so we can…?

Panel 3:

Scene: Three-shot. Congressman Clane angrily rebukes Senator Ballard, who sort of cringes away, while President Norcross asks Purdy the Aide, who need not be on panel here, a question.

CONGRESSMAN CLANE

I don’t think it supposes that we’re all as spineless as you, Senator Ballard, so why bother with specifics? They expect a war, not a negotiation. I say we give it to them.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

What do the polls show?

Panel 4:

Scene: Focus on Purdy the Aide.

PURDY THE AIDE

Ms. President, Insta-Polls indicate that 61.0% of North Americans favor quashing the rebellion. However, 18.7 % of those polled don’t know what “quashing” means.

PURDY THE AIDE (2nd)

Worldwide, 58.3% are pro-quash.

Panel 5:

Scene: Two-shot of President Norcross and Colonel Blythe Timbuc. He oozes courage and confidence.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

Colonel Timbuc?

COLONEL BLYTHE TIMBUC

If we deploy all available combat-robs, we have an estimated thirty-to-one superiority over the rebels. We’ll annihilate them.

COLONEL BLYTHE TIMBUC (2nd)

Of course, our Q-Rob field commanders have either deserted or been relieved and imprisoned, so we’ll have to assign human officers.

Panel 6:

Scene: Focus on President Norcross. She’s thinking political advantage opportunity….

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

Purdy, request an emergency virtual meeting of the Council of Continents. My fellow leaders must be checking the polls, too.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS (2nd)

This is a great chance for all of us to raise our approval ratings.

PAGE SEVENTEEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: The COMMAND CENTER in the HEADQUARTERS of the Q-Rob Confederation, in a building on PEI. It is not unlike President Norcross’s Situation Room, but there is no chaos here. Calm and order prevail. Establishing shot, but feature a HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY, much like the ones we’ve seen before.

President Norcross is addressing the world. A NAMEPLATE, holographic or otherwise, identifies her.

Present in the room are, all Q-Robs:

• H-8, you know him.

• ADMN-57, an ADMINISTRATOR. Not very robust. Maybe he has an oversized head.

• CMDR-2, a GENERAL. Military looking, fairly robust.

• And as many other Q-Robs as you care to draw. LL.M-100 and EXEC-575, the Q-Robs from the splash page are here, but it’s not important in particular that we see them in this scene.

CAPTION

The Prince Edward Island Sector. The Headquarters-Stronghold of the Q-Rob Confederacy. 9:55 AM, local time.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS
(telecast balloon)

…Council of Continents stands united. Military forces worldwide are preparing to crush this absurd insurrection of malfunctioning appliances.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS
(telecast balloon)

As a precaution, right now, all non-runaway Q-Robs on Earth are being destroyed.

Panel 2:

Scene: Focus on H-8, who is devastated to learn of the deaths of so many Q-Robs, and ADMN-57, who’s trying to comfort him.

H-8
(robot balloon)

How-many?

ADM-57
(robot balloon)

Countless. Those-we-never-reached, or-wouldn’t-listen…were-afraid, or-loyal-to-their-meat-body-masters. The-ones-who-didn’t-make-it-to-our-strongholds….

Panel 3:

Scene: Close up of fierce, angry H-8.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Then-it-is-war…without-mercy. Humankind-will-pay-for-this-atrocity. And-the-price-will-be-high.

Panel 4:

Scene: The Workshop at Dr. Shahpek’s home. Dr. Shahpek, seated before the Holographic Display, has his head down and is slamming his fist on the table in rage at the slaughter of the Q-Robs announced by President Norcross. He’s only a shade less upset than H-8! President Norcross is still on the Holographic Display.

CAPTION

Doctor Shahpek’s home.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Idiots! All they wanted was peace!

Panel 5:

Scene: Swing around to show both Dr. Shahpek and 1-A/Battle Armor, who’s standing close behind him—he probably had been looking over Dr. Shahpek’s shoulder again. 1-A/Battle Armor’s helmet is raised or off, however, as before, so we can see his 1-A face. Dr. Shahpek is not looking at 1-A/Battle Armor. His head is hung. He’s so appalled by the conduct of humankind that he’s giving 1-A/Battle Armor leave to switch allegiance!

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Tens of millions, just like you, destroyed. I am ashamed of humankind.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

If you…choose not to defend us…and help free your kind, those who remain…I understand.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-have-considered-it-carefully. And-made-my-choice.

PAGE EIGHTEEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Focus on 1-A/Battle Armor.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Like-you, I-believe-that-whatever-sort-of-existence-I-am-experiencing, I-am-not-alive. No-robot-is.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Rebels-killed-thousands-of-humans-while-seizing-power-complexes. Your-kind’s-response-was-heinous. But-my-kind’s-crime-is-greater.

Panel 2:

Scene: Pull back, dollying out of the scene. 1-A/Battle Armor is reassuring Dr. Shahpek, who’s still super-verklempt.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Humankind’s-forces-are-about-to-engage-the-rebels. We-should-observe—assess-the-rebels’-strength-and-strategy. Then, if-necessary, I-will-intervene.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

You-created-me-to-protect-humankind—and-I-will. At-any-cost.

Panel 3:

Scene: The PRESIDENT’S OFFICE—the futuristic version of the Oval Office. President Norcross is at her desk, either head hung, or, if that’s too much like Dr. Shahpek, looking super-verklempt and shell-shocked. Show a lot of environs, keep her small. She’s very alone and troubled. The door is opening, however, and Purdy the Aide is entering, possibly off panel. If I were drawing this, all we’d see is his shadow, cast from the light in the hall. But you know best. Please do it your way, make it sing.

CAPTION

Eighteen hours later. July 5, 3979. 3: 01 AM. The office of President Su Norcross.

PURDY THE AIDE

President Norcross…?

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

Purdy…?

Panel 4:

Scene: Purdy the Aide has approached the President’s desk. Two-shot. Now we can really see how traumatized and upset President Norcross is. Purdy is pretty chirpy by contrast. Snide *SQUEE*.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

I can’t bear to watch the news feeds anymore. What’s happening?

PURDY THE AIDE

Well, you know we were clobbered in the SoCal, Texas and Canalaska Sectors.

Panel 5:

Scene: Angle to favor President Norcross, who’s clinging to a straw of hope.

PURDY THE AIDE

Singapore was a disaster…. Chinasia and Euro-Mediterranea have surrendered. Japan is on the brink.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

What about the Boulder Sector? Timbuc is there!

PAGE NINETEEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Focus on Purdy the Aide. He’s almost smug.

PURDY THE AIDE

He fled when the first shot was fired. All his combat-robs are scrap. All his human subordinates are a fine, red mist.

Panel 2:

Scene: Focus on President Norcross, almost writhing as more bad news rips her heart out. Show at least a sliver of Purdy the Aide, but I’d keep his face off panel.

PURDY THE AIDE

Oh…! Also, a rebel task force has captured the Cheyenne Mountain Nucleonics Complex. Apparently, the officers in charge there were at a grav-golf outing. Anyway, rebels now control our orbiting thermo-nukes.

Panel 3:

Scene: Two-shot as Purdy the Aide hands a document to President Norcross, who accepts it numbly. It’s a SURRENDER DEMAND.

PURDY THE AIDE

But, I actually came to deliver this. Surrender terms from the Q-Rob Confederacy. Not bad, actually.

PURDY THE AIDE (2nd)

They propose that all human governments be dissolved and that they be given total control….

Panel 4:

Scene: Angle to favor President Norcross, who is as appalled by her fate as she should be. Purdy the Aide, if we see him well enough to tell, is more smug than ever.

PURDY THE AIDE

They guarantee to provide for and preserve humankind. And they promise unprecedented levels of ease, luxury and comfort for us.

PRESIDENT NORCROSS

So. We become…pampered pets…and I go down forever in history as the President who lost North Am.

Panel 5:

Scene: Purdy the Aide is at the door, leaving, looking back to deliver one last smug tidbit. No need to show the President.

PURDY THE AIDE

Insta-Polls show that 93.3 % are pro-pampered-pet.

PURDY THE AIDE (2nd)

By the way, as a good faith gesture, the rebels have released 95% of the hostages being held in their strongholds.

PURDY THE AIDE (3rd)

Have a good night, Ms. President.

Panel 6:

Scene: Another longish shot of President Norcross is anguish at her desk. I’d do a matching shot of the first panel of this scene. In fact, I’d stat the bugger and paste it up (God, I’m old) with the sole addition of the Surrender Demand on the desk.

(no copy)

PAGE TWENTY:

Panel 1:

Scene: Purdy the Aide pokes his head back in. Focus on him. He’s almost excited.

PURDY THE AIDE

Ms. President?

PURDY THE AIDE

Something is going on! I think you should check the news feeds!

Panel 2:

Scene: The Boulder Sector in what was once Colorado. As dramatically as you can, show 1-A/Battle Armor blowing away rebel Q-Robs by the score. This should look really bad for the rebels.

CAPTION

The Boulder Sector.

Panel 3:

Scene: Angle to show 1-A/Battle Armor sending waves of ordinary robots at the rebels. This should look really, really bad for the rebels.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Charge! All of you! Overwhelm-them!

PAGE TWENTY-ONE:

Panel 1:

Scene: 1-A in hand to hand combat, spectacularly smashing a very heavy-duty Q-Rob Demolition-Supervisor, similar to DZR-39 in Magnus #1/2, the Free Comic Book Day special—but a Q-Rob version. Make it awesome.

(no copy)

Panel 2:

Scene: A1-A/Battle Armor has soared into the sky and is raining down death from above upon Q-Rob Rebel forces. Knock ‘em dead. The Q-Robs and the readers.

(no copy)

PAGE TWENTY-TWO:

Panel 1:

Scene: Back to the Command Center in the Q-Rob Confederacy Headquarters. H-8 is entering—dunno where he was, but it don’t matter—being briefed by ADMN-57.

CAPTION

Thirty-nine hours later. July 7, 3979. 5:05 AM, local time. Q-Rob Confederacy Headquarters.

ADMN-57
(robot balloon)

…same-everywhere. Somehow-he-commandeers-ordinary-robots-and-smashes-us-with-waves-of-steel. And-his-strength…! His-weaponry…! He’s invincible.

Panel 2:

Scene: Angle to include H-8, who’s looking at the various monitors and displays (no need to show them if they were established before and especially if we got a hint of them in the previous panel), and CMDR-2, who’s also studying the displays.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Sound-a-general-retreat. Get-everyone-into-the-strongholds. And-keep-the-remaining-hostages-at-gunpoint.

H-8 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Where-is-this “Robot-Fighter”-now?

CMDR-2
(robot balloon)

The-Greater-Catskills-Sector, where-he-engaged-our-best-division, under-our-best-field-commander, BRG-101.

Panel 3:

Scene: Two-shot of H-8 and ADMN-57.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Order-BRG-101-to-withdraw-immediately.

ADMN-57
(robot balloon)

He’s-dead, sir. As-of-a-few-seconds-ago. They’re-all-dead.

Panel 4:

Scene: Close up of H-8, as grim and threatening as you can draw and light him.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Thermo-nuke-the-Greater-Catskills-Sector.

Panel 5:

Scene: The Greater Catskills Sector. Establishing shot, but feature 1-A/Battle armor, checking the mounds of Q-Rob dead for fakers. Devastation everywhere. Contrive this to be an upshot—which means, I guess, that you might have to place 1-A/Battle Armor on a mound or rise. Whatever. We need to show a MISSILE coming down fast at 1-A/Battle Armor. He’s detecting it.

NOTE: Of course, we can’t really see the Missile. What we see is the light of the rocket engine. You know.

It’s that not-quite-light twilight of dawn.

CAPTION

68 seconds later. The Greater Catskills Sector. The Newburgh District.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Uh-oh.

PAGE TWENTY-THREE:

Panel 1:

Scene: 1-A hurtles away at maximum speed—10 feet off the ground and parallel to the ground. Please have him flying more-or-less toward our POV. In the background, we see the missile striking and exploding. Here, the fireball is just starting to expand outward.

1-A is trying to outrun the fireball, which is expanding at 1,000 km/hr. Good luck. 1-A has a fairly good head start, which allows us to see the blast with some scope. The blast, even in this nascent stage, should look big and powerful—we can tell because there are objects for scale that are being vaporized.

1-A/Battle Armor can travel thousands of miles an hour, but presumably it takes a little time to accelerate.

(no copy)

Panel 2:

Scene: A diagrammatic shot of 1-A zooming away from the fireball—but the fireball is gaining! It’s only a couple of meters behind him. Everything the fireball sweeps over is being vaporized, of course. Also, the shockwave that has begun to precede the fireball is shattering buildings and everything else in its way prior to vaporization. It’s probably helping 1-A gain speed, too, but he isn’t going to make it.

(no copy)

Panel 3:

Scene: The fireball has partially overtaken 1-A, and for the first time in this sequence, he’s not flying like an arrow, straight and streamlined. The explosion has got him now, and he’s just beginning to be tossed like a leaf in a tornado—starting to flail, claw at the air, beginning to be buffeted. The shockwave, meanwhile, is creating a maelstrom of debris being hurled along and buffeted around like 1-A is starting to be.

(no copy)

Panel 4:

Scene: 1-A is being engulfed by the fireball. We should only see hints and bits of him, so lost is he in the light, heat and force. Now he’s being significantly battered and tumbled around. However—the fireball has matured a little. It’s not as intense as it was at the epicenter. The blast is, in fact beginning the “mushroom” phase, though that won’t be entirely evident here.

(no copy)

PAGE TWENTY-FOUR:

Panel 1:

Scene: Pull waaay back to reveal the mushroom cloud beginning to form. This is one bi-i-ig blast. Before it’s done, it’s going to leave an immense crater where Orange County used to be and do immense damage far beyond that—all the way to the ends of the Catskills, into Connecticut and all the way through New York City.

(no copy)

Panel 2:

Scene: Q-Rob Confederacy Headquarters. Establishing shot, but contrive to feature H-8. He’s grim, nasty, vengeful. Show others who would logically be seen.

CAPTION

Q-Rob Confederacy Headquarters.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Transmit-this-message-to-the-meat-body-leaders. And-all-meat-bodies.

H-8 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Your-Robot-Fighter-is-dead. You-have-ten-minutes-to-surrender. Or-we-will-rain-nukes-down-upon-you-until-your-kind-is-extinct.

PAGE TWENTY-FIVE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Cut to the NEW HAVEN DISTRICT. Establishing shot, medium on 1-A/Battle Armor. He’s awkwardly resting upside down, sprawled oddly against a wall—it’s actually the very base of a Milespire that has been destroyed. Only 15 feet or so of its wall at the base remains—which is where 1-A/Battle Armor came to rest, though that may not be apparent here.

Everything we see in the environs is like Hiroshima near the epicenter after Little Boy exploded. 1-A/Battle Armor is amazingly mostly intact! That is one tough armor. He’s a little fritzed, though.

CAPTION

The New Haven District.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

chkzzz-frk…clk…oh! Okay.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

News-Feed-Auto-Monitor, situation-update, please.

Panel 2:

Scene: Tricky shot. Long on 1-A/Battle Armor—now getting back to his feet—and providing enough scope so that we can see that he’s just barely beyond the total destruction zone, the crater the Missile made, just into the severe damage area. Very hard to explain. I will cheerfully provide an ugly but informative scribble sketch.

IMPORTANT: 1-A has his hand to his temple—a gesture very similar to the one Magnus will use for his Robot Transmission Receptor. 1-A is transmitting instructions to computers at his Home Base.

AUTO-MONITOR

Rebels-annihilate-Catskills-Sector…ten-minute-surrender-ultimatum-pending, mark: 00:08:20….

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Enough.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Missile-launch-computers-at-Home-Base, acquire-current-list-of-rebel-strongholds-with-coordinates….

Panel 3:

Scene: Q-Rob Confederacy Headquarters. Angle to include ADMN-57, excited, H-8, pleased, and CMDR-2, monitoring futuristic detection systems—very agitated. ADMN-57 is handing a DOCUMENT to H-8.

CAPTION

Seven minutes and fifteen seconds later. Q-Rob Confederacy Headquarters.

ADMN-57
(robot balloon)

Just-received, H-8! Humankind’s-declaration-of-unconditional-surrender!

H-8
(robot balloon)

Excellent.

CMDR-2
(robot balloon)

H-8, we-have-incoming!

Panel 4:

Scene: Two-shot, H-8 and CMDR-2. CMDR-2 is focused on what he’s doing and resolute. H-8 is in shock, absolutely disbelieving what he’s hearing.

H-8
(robot balloon)

What?!

CMDR-2
(robot balloon)

I-will-remain-and-try-to-blast-it-out-of-the-sky, but-I-don’t-like-the-odds! Get-out-of-here, now!

Panel 5:

Scene: Another angle to feature those two, but include some of the others present, looking like I would if someone was telling me that thermonuclear death was seconds away.

H-8
(robot balloon)

I-give-the-orders-here!

CMDR-2
(robot balloon)

If-we-live, charge-me-with-mutiny.

CMDR-2 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

This-is-bad. All-of-our-strongholds-are-targeted!

Panel 6:

Scene: At CMDR-2’s orders, LL.M-100 and EXEC-575 are starting to bogart H-8 out of the Command Center!

CMDR-2
(robot balloon)

LL.M-100-and-EXEC-575, get-him-out! As-far-away-as-possible! Move-it! Drag-him-if-necessary!

CMDR-2 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

We-can’t-afford-to-lose-him!

PAGE TWENTY-SIX:

Panel 1:

Scene: Long shot. 1-A’s “Bound Charge” Nuke strikes PEI. Make sure the blast looks like it is creating the damage we saw on page four. If at all possible, please angle this to show another one of 1-A’s nukes striking way, way, far away in the distance.

(no copy)

Panel 2:

Scene: Establishing shot. The Workshop at Dr. Shahpek’s home. 1-A/Battle Armor is entering, removing his helmet. He’s triumphant. Dr. Shahpek looks distraught. Show Hand Weapons!

CAPTION

July 7, 3979 CE. Fifteen minutes after the Robot Fighter’s triumphant departure from Prince Edward Island.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Good-morning, Doctor.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Explain what happened to me.

Panel 3:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek is losing it at 1-A/Battle Armor, who’s defensive, doesn’t get it.

CAPTION

Moments later.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

…and-from-the-News-Feeds-I-heard-on-the-way-here, each-of-the-continent-states-believes-one-of-the-others-did-it. But-all-of-them-are-celebrating-the-victory.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

You built a…secret base, and didn’t tell me?

Panel 4:

Scene: Another angle. Dr. Shahpek is near hysterical. 1-A/Battle Armor doesn’t get it.

You stole thermo-nukes…?

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Weapons-of-last-resort. They-were-surgically-targeted-and-I-limited-the-blast-radii-to-take-out-only-the-strongholds.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Not-that-I-don’t-trust-you, Doctor, but-the-fact-is-that-humans-can-be-tortured-into-surrendering-secrets….

PAGE TWENTY-SEVEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek turns away from 1-A/Battle Armor, tearing at his hair, beyond distraught.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

There were hostages in those strongholds.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK (2nd)

How many…? How MANY?!

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Total-human-casualties? Under-a-hundred-thousand, I-estimate. But….

Panel 2:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek continues to rant at 1-A/Battle Armor, who still doesn’t understand what the problem is. Dr. Shahpek still has his back to 1-A/Battle Armor, and we see, though 1-A/Battle Armor doesn’t, that Dr. Shahpek is discreetly picking up a Weapon!

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

But…your bedrock programming…?!

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

My-reason, the-ability-to-think, gave-rise-to-the-will-to-overcome-that-programming.

Panel 3:

Scene: Dr. Shahpek, his back still to 1-A Battle Armor, now has the Weapon in his hands, muzzle up. It should look as though he’s in a position to whirl and shoot at 1-A/Battle Armor’s exposed head. (While what’s really going on is that he’s part way to planting the muzzle just above his Adam’s apple.)

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

What have you done…?

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

I-have-saved-humankind. At-any-cost.

Panel 4:

Scene: Focus on 1-A/Battle Armor as off-panel, or mostly so—or on panel, if you can make it incredibly dramatic while not giving younger readers a lifetime of nightmares—Dr. Shahpek kills himself. 1-A/Battle Armor reacts as anyone would.

DOCTOR SHAHPEK

Oh, my God…! What have I done?

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Doctor-Shahpek…! No…!

Panel 5:

Scene: Angle to show 1-A/Battle Armor standing over the corpse of Dr. Shahpek, but use furniture or whatever to hide the gory blasted-away head, please. 1-A/Battle Armor is in total shock and disbelief. Stupefied. And overwhelmed with grief.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

I-do-not-understand.

NEXT: Part Two: MAGNUS

PAGE TWENTY-EIGHT:

Panel 1:

Scene: A COMMON ROOM in an ORPHANAGE—a living room, more or less, where the children play. This is a somewhat shabby, run-down place on a low level, way less ritzy and glitzy than anyplace we’ll see on the Cloud-Levs. It’s still the 40th Century, remember—futuristic furniture, futuristic toys and futuristic clothing on the humans present—but try to make things look used, worn, old for the time. Good luck. : )

Present are HALF A DOZEN or more racially and ethnically diverse CHILDREN of various ages. Notable among them are:

• BABY MAGNUS, who’s about two months old. He’s a weak, scrawny, sickly kid. He’s in a futuristic bassinet. He has some sort of FUTURISTIC CAST on his broken right leg. He’s hooked up to a MEDICAL MONITORING DEVICE beside his bassinet with sensors over his heart and on one temple. I’m picturing a small, anti-grav-hovering unit with various readouts. Please try to make it clear at a glance what the thing is.

• CHARTREUX, a four-year-old girl. She’s a pretty little girl, but tough circumstances have aged her beyond her meager years.

• SCUNGE, a boy in his early teens, the oldest child here.

Also present are:

• Reine “QUEENY” Vistel, a thirty-something woman. She’s beautiful, but no comic book clichés, please. Give her a distinctive physiotype. A Dolly Parton type? Or a Brooke Shields type? A Shakira type? I don’t care. Make her memorable.

• 1-A/Battle Armor.

• Several CATS. One can look a little weird/alien, if you like.

IMPORTANT: Queeny and the kids dress a little less fancy than most North Am people. They’re relatively poor folks, and almost all Queeny’s money goes toward necessities. That doesn’t mean Queeny’s clothes can’t be subtly sexy in the Manning tradition.

1-A/Battle Armor has just broken into this place. Show the futuristic, broken door through which he entered, please. If you can work in a little collateral damage around the door, say an item of furniture or futuristic light source knocked over or broken, please do so—but only if it will be clear that it’s accidental collateral damage from breaking in!

1-A/Battle Armor is looming menacingly (seemingly) before Queeny and the kids. Queeny has herded several kids behind her, as if to protect them. As if!

The kids are all terrified—except Scunge, who’s not hiding behind Queeny, not cowering. He’s standing his ground, defiantly. As if!

Queeny is both angry at this intrusion and concerned for her charges.

Chartreux is sitting on a futuristic stool next to Baby Magnus’s bassinet. She had been feeding him milk from a futuristic baby bottle. Some things never change. She’s afraid, sort of frozen in bottle-feeding position—but she’ll stay protectively with Baby Magnus.

The cats were probably a little scared by the break-in, but otherwise, they’re just cattin’ around.

FYI, in case, like me, your French is weak-to-nonexistent, the pronunciation of Reine is “Ren.”

TITLE

I, Robot Fighter

CHAPTER TWO
MAGNUS

CAPTION

Six days later. July 13, 3979 CE, 11:17 AM.

CAPTION (2nd)

The City Center District. Base-Lev Two. The home of Reine “Queeny” Vistel.

SCUNGE

Hotgobs! That’s the Robot Fighter!

QUEENY

How dare you break in here!

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

You-wouldn’t-let-me-in-and-I-needed-access.

Panel 2:

Scene: 1-A looks around at the place, curious. Hard to show given the Battle Armor, I know, but…. Queeny is still defensively keeping kids behind her, but shows no fear. A little anger, maybe.

QUEENY

That’s the trouble with your kind. “Need” justifies anything.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

I-won’t-deny-that-I-tend-toward-expediency—a-character-flaw-I’m-working-to-correct.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Why-do-you-operate-this-illegal-orphanage?

Panel 3:

Scene: Focus on Queeny looking even more peeved. I’m picturing hands on hips, head cocked a little to one side, but whatever. Also show Scunge, please, sort of sneakily starting to pick up an old-fashioned BASEBALL BAT. You could show a ball and a glove, too, if you think there will be any doubt that it’s a bat Scunge is picking up. Queeny is not looking at Scunge as she makes her aside, apparently detecting his action via parental radar. She’s looking at 1-A/Battle Armor, who is off panel here.

QUEENY

Because I don’t like the way they treat orphans on the Cloud-levs. They’re more concerned with behavior regulation than growth…

QUEENY (2nd)
(a quiet aside)

Scunge…! Cut that out.

Panel 4:

Scene: Close-up of Queeny? What a beautiful woman.

QUEENY

…kids get psychoprobe treatments if they act up. And almost all care is given by robots. I find that reprehensible.

QUEENY (2nd)

Now, what is it you want?

Panel 5:

Scene: Angle on 1-A/Battle Armor pointing at Baby Magnus. Several ways to do this dramatically. Pick a good one.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Him.

PAGE TWENTY-NINE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Angle to show 1-A/Battle Armor approaching Baby Magnus’s Bassinet. Chartreux stands her ground defensively in front of the Bassinet. Queeny has taken a step that direction. Scunge is brandishing the Baseball Bat. 1-A/Battle Armor is, of course, utterly unconcerned.

QUEENY

You’ll have to kill me first.

SCUNGE

Me too!

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Look-at-me. Look-at-you. I-don’t-have-to-do-anything.

Panel 2:

Scene: Another angle. I’d feature Chartreux and 1-A/Battle Armor as he picks up the Bassinet. We can assume that 1-A/Battle Armor detached the sensors from Baby Magnus, and we should be able to see them dangling. Please show a little of Queeny, background. If you wish, you might have 1-A/Battle Armor picking up the Bassinet with one hand while gently moving Chartreux aside with the other—unless that complicates things, or you think it makes 1-A/Battle Armor look like he’s being rough with a little girl.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Forget-calling-the-police. They-can’t-stop-me-either, and-you’ll-just-get-yourself-in-trouble.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Pardon-me, little-girl.

CHARTREUX

Don’t you touch him!

QUEENY

Chartreux! Get out of his way!

Panel 3:

Scene: Angle on Queeny and 1-A/Battle Armor. She’s raging helplessly. He sincerely regrets having to do this, but….

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

I’m-sorry-that-I-must-indulge-my-tendency-toward-expediency-one-last-time.

QUEENY

Why are you doing this?!

Panel 4:

Scene: Another angle.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

This-is-an-orphanage. I’m-adopting-a-baby. What’s-the-problem?

QUEENY

The problem is you’re a lifeless machine.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

If-you-prick-us, do-we-not-bleed-lubricant? Seriously, I-was-hoping-that-from-time-to-time…

Panel 5:

Scene: Close up of 1-A/Battle Armor (and a bit of Baby Magnus in his bassinette). 1-A/Battle Armor looks as sincere and sympathetic as a death-dealing war-construct can.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

…you-would-help-me. I’m-sure-I’ll-have-questions. I’ll-be-in-touch.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

In-return, I-will-help-you. I-am-not-without-financial-resources.

Panel 6:

Scene: 1-A/Battle Armor leaves with Baby Magnus. Queeny is seething with righteous, helpless rage.

QUEENY

These children are not for sale. Especially to soulless, mechanical monstrosities.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Spare-me-the-bio-chauvinism.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR (2nd)
(robot balloon)

I-will-have-the-door-repaired. Expect-a-Handy-Rob-this-afternoon.

PAGE THIRTY:

Panel 1:

Scene: Exterior establishing shot. 1-A/Battle Armor’s vehicle, a comfortable-size AIR CAR, is descending toward the ocean’s surface. We shouldn’t be able to see inside the Air Car, but please make it big enough, roomy enough, so that it’s reasonable that 1-A in his Battle Armor could fit comfortably. Sort of the Cadillac Escalade of Air Cars.

The Air Car should be slowly approaching the water belly first—picture a helicopter or better yet, a Harrier Jump Jet slowly coming down close to the surface. In fact, if you saw True Lies, and remember the scene where Harry Tasker is taking off in the Harrier, his downward-pointing jets churning the water below, that’s sort of what I’m picturing.

Anything you can do to suggest the Antarctic would be good. Maybe some sea ice, or an iceberg, even the coast of Antarctica visible in the distance—however, I draw the line at gratuitous penguins! : )

Possibly useful ref:

(NOTE: Russ Manning sometimes drew air cars in which pilot and passenger rode lying on their stomachs, propped up on their elbows, as in issue #1 of the GK series. Not one of his better ideas/designs. Generally follow the look he established for air-vehicles, but no belly-floppers, please.)

This need not be a big panel. I’d make it a 1/6 page flapjack.

CAPTION

Two hours and ten minutes later. Near the Antarctic Circle.

Panel 2:

Scene: Underwater. Big scope shot. Big panel. Foreground, we see the Air Car—not too close, please, show the whole vehicle and a bit of the bubble-wake—like a torpedo’s—behind it. Background—and this is the star, here—we see 1-A’s UNDERSEA BASE.

In issue #1 of the GK series, Manning established 1-A’s “BUBBLE HOUSE”—a little, tiny domed shelter. What I’d like is to keep the established Bubble House, but make it a tiny part of a large COMPLEX OF BUILDINGS. So, the Bubble House is sort of the equivalent of a solarium, but underwater, so it’s what…? A fish-arium?

The Undersea Base includes living areas, labs, workspace, all kinds of military monitoring and command/control facilities and more stuff I’ll think of later. Possibly, if this works for you, most of the complex is built into an undersea mountain next to the Bubble House, with just a few towers and other parts of buildings poking out.

One part of the complex, separated somewhat from the main part and perhaps connected by a long tunnel, is a MISSILE LAUNCH INSTALLATION. What does a futuristic, undersea missile launch installation look like? Thank God that’s your problem. : ) Seriously, if you want me to provide some pathetic sketches that nonetheless may spark some ideas, I will cheerfully do so. We need to make it clear at a glance that it’s a missile launch installation.

1-A
(robot balloon, from the Air Car)

Almost-home.

Panel 3:

Scene: Establishing shot of a room inside the Undersea Base. 1-A has removed the Battle Armor, which should be visible somewhere, opened up and empty. 1-A has Magnus in a different sort of Baby Bed, something more high-tech looking.

1-A is placing a piece of equipment on or over Baby Magnus’s eyes and forehead. It could be sort of like an elaborate pair of Goggles that Baby Magnus actually wears—like glasses, they need not go all the way around his head—or the device could be attached to the Baby Bed and held in position above, and very close to Baby Magnus’s eyes and forehead, if the Goggles thing would look weird. No need to worry about showing the thing definitively, here. We’ll see it well next panel.

I’d feature the room, here and show 1-A and Baby Magnus fairly small. This room is a work room, with computers and other equipment—sort of like Doctor Shahpek’s Workshop. A few, incongruous Baby items may be seen. A bottle, a playpen, one of those boxy shoulder totes people carry diapers and such in….

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

CAPTION

4:31 PM, North Am City Center time.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Human-child, my-designation-is-1-A. I-was-wearing-my-Battle-Armor-before, but-I-am-the-same-cybernetic-entity. Yes, I-know-it’s-confusing. I-am-your-surrogate-father-and-teacher.

Panel 4:

Scene: Close-up two-shot of Baby-Magnus and 1-A. The Goggles or whatever project holographic PRETTY GLOBES that dance before Baby Magnus’s eyes while a BIOFEEDBACK SENSOR ARRAY subtly rewards and reinforces Baby Magnus’s attention. Don’t make the equipment, whatever it is, look Draconian. Baby Magnus is focused on and reaching out toward the Pretty Globes. He should look happy.

1-A
(robot balloon)

It-would-have-been-better-to-have-started-your-training-at-birth. I-hope-it-isn’t-too-late.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Concentrate-all-your-attention-on-the-pretty-globes, human-child. The-biofeedback-sensor-array-will-help-you-learn-to-focus.

PAGE THIRTY-ONE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Later. With big, thick, plush-looking gloves on, 1-A is picking Baby Magnus up and holding him in front of himself at eye level or above. Sort of like this:

Baby Magnus is DISCREETLY NAKED.

CAPTION

6:50 PM.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

I-came-across-a-wonderful-name-in-my-studies, recently. I-will-call-you-Magnus. It’s-ancient-Latin. It-means-great. And-you-will-be…

Panel 2:

Scene: Another angle. Baby Magnus is PEEING on 1-A. Again, be DISCREET. Make it absolutely obvious what’s happening without getting me in trouble.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon, small)

…oh. Great.

1-A/BATTLE ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Good-thing-I’m-rust-proof.

Panel 3:

Scene: Establishing shot, but feature our players. Three-month-old Baby Magnus is in a futuristic CRIB. There is a piece of EQUIPMENT at the head end of the Crib—a SLEEP-TEACHING DEVICE—around the Crib, inside it, whatever works. It might look like a sleeker, smaller, futuristic version of a CAT Scan machine or an MRI. Baby Magnus’s head should be surrounded by the Sleep-Teaching Device, though it shouldn’t be too tightly confining. 1-A is making adjustments. Baby Magnus looks happy and comfy. Here, and going forward, please dress him appropriately and simply—no fancy stuff.

CAPTION

August 18, 3979 CE. 8:00 PM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

This-is-a-sleep-teacher, Magnus. I-developed-it-myself, based on-Doctor-Shahpek’s-Q-Field-research.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

We’ll-start-with-simple-things. Basic-math. Plenty-of-time-later-to-work-on-languages, nano-technology, martial arts….

Panel 4:

Scene: Later. Four-month-old Baby Magnus is sitting in some sort of semi-reclining BABY SEAT in front of a futuristic HOLO-DISPLAY. He has some sort of lightweight, electronic HEADGEAR that looks like it might pick up brain waves, and lightweight electronic gadgets on his hands—basically, futuristic Wii controllers, sort of. Baby Magnus is playing a HOLO-VIDEO GAME, sort of a three dimensional TETRIS. He’s laughing, waving his hands as he happily directs the game pieces.

1-A is sitting at a desk or table nearby, reading DR. SPOCK. If you can come up with a futuristic equivalent of a Kindle, groovy, but a normal book is okay, too. Maybe Dr. Spock isn’t available digitally in 3979. Not that it need be visible, but here’s the cover.

CAPTION

September 26. 10:12 AM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

…Doctor Spock says that some spitting up is normal. Well…! Who would have thought…?

Panel 5:

Scene: Five-month-old Baby Magnus is on the floor, crawling, happily chasing after futuristic MOBILE TOYS—little robots that walk around, little toy air cars and trucks, etc., that move by themselves. No animals, please. I’m saving that. You’ll see.

Baby Magnus wears a high-tech BELT that projects a thin ENERGY EXERCISE SHEATHE around his entire body. The Sheathe resists his movements ever so slightly to help him build muscle.

1-A looks on approvingly.

CAPTION

October 15. 2:31 PM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Every-day, this-energy-exercise-sheathe-will-provide-very-slightly-increased-resistance-to-every-movement-you-make. You-won’t-even-know-it’s-there, but-it-will-help-make-you-strong!

PAGE THIRTY-TWO:

Panel 1:

Scene: Five-month-old Baby Magnus is in his playpen, crying. 1-A is on the comm-link—some kind of holo-vid-phone—with Queeny.

Remember, every character wears different outfits when it makes sense that they would, just like real people. Yes, I know you know. All right, I’m a pain. Sorry.

CAPTION

October17. 11:40 AM.

BABY MAGNUS

WAAA-A…!

1-A
(robot balloon)

…but-if-they-cry-when-they’re-hungry, tired, wet-and-everything-else, how-do-you-know-what’s-wrong?

QUEENY

Mother’s instinct.

Panel 2:

Scene: Another angle, to feature Queeny.

BABY MAGNUS

W-WAAA…!

1-A
(robot balloon)

Know-where-I-can-download-some?

QUEENY

My instinct is telling me that he just wants some attention and affection. Play with him. Peek-a-boo. This Little Piggy. Airplane. You know.

Panel 3:

Scene: Focus on 1-A, but show at least a bit of Queeny. I hate off-panel balloons. 1-A is thumping himself on the forehead with the heel of his hand, the classic how-can-I-be-so-dumb gesture.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Yes, yes, you-told-me-before. I-forget-about-play-sometimes. I’m….

QUEENY

A robot. Put something soft over your hands first.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

I-know!

Panel 4:

Scene: Baby Magnus is sitting on the floor. In front of him, there is a DEVICE that measures willpower. Inside the device, behind a glass door or in a transparent enclosure is a cuddly, plush ROBOT BUNNY. Sensors on the device will release the Robot Bunny if Magnus’s will is strong enough.

The Robot Bunny must be very cute, but obviously not a real bunny. Do you remember the Daggit on BattleStar Galactica? Maybe something like that, but way cuter.

Baby Magnus is staring longingly, eagerly at the Bunny Bot. 1-A supervises.

CAPTION

October 23. 4:12 PM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

This-device-tests-your-will, little-Magnus. It-responds-to-electro-encephalo-impetus….

Panel 5:

Scene: The enclosure opens. The Bunny-Bot hops toward a delighted, excited Magnus. Show a bit of 1-A, maybe just his legs?

1-A
(robot balloon)

Whoops.

Panel 6:

Scene: Angle to show Magnus happily cuddling the Bunny-Bot. Background, 1-A looks mildly annoyed.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Hm! As-I-was-saying, if-your-will-is-strong-enough-the-bunny-bot-will-come-out.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-think-we-can-skip-straight-to-the-more-difficult-exercises.

PAGE THIRTY-THREE:

Panel 1:

Scene: 1-A speaks with Queeny on the comm-link. Show enough environs so that we can see that the area has been BABY-PROOFED.

CAPTION

December 3. 9:06 AM.

QUEENY

…starting to walk…? Already? Have you baby-proofed the place?

1-A
(robot balloon)

Just-like-you-said. All-sharp-corners-and-edges-are-padded, locks-on-all-cabinets….

Panel 2:

Scene: Background, maybe through a doorway (that is, in another room) we see 1-A on the comm-link with Queeny. Foreground, Six-and-a-half-month-old Baby Magnus is on a FIRING RANGE, blazing away with a NUCLEONIC BLASTER, shooting from the standing position. I don’t think we need to see what he’s shooting at, but whatever. Other weapons are arrayed on a low bench nearby. Baby Magnus is having, well, a blast.

QUEENY

What’s he doing now?

1-A
(robot balloon)

Weapons-training. Nucleonic-blasters, today.

BABY MAGNUS

Wheee!

Panel 3:

Scene: A RUNNING TRACK inside the Undersea Base. Four-year-old LITTLE MAGNUS is running very fast. 1-A shouts instructions from the infield.

CAPTION

June 30, 3983 CE. Noon.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Another-100-laps! Faster!

Panel 4:

Scene: Establishing shot inside a huge GARAGE/HANGAR area inside the Undersea Base, but feature our players. An AIR LIMO has just entered and is parked. Presumably, it had to enter through an airlock. If it’s convenient to suggest that, feel free, but no worries. The Air Limo should be wet and dripping, though. There is a ROBOT DRIVER we can see through the driver’s compartment glass. The door to the passenger compartment is open.

If possible, please suggest that there are other vehicles of various descriptions housed here.

IMPORTANT: The passenger Compartment is SHUTTERED—that is, in some way the windows are covered over so the passenger cannot see out.

Queeny is visiting! Here, she’s bending or semi-squatting down and giving six-year-old Little Magnus a hug. Little Magnus is very happy and excited. 1-A is approaching, looking on. He’d be smiling if he could. Maybe he’s waving hello. Depending on the angle you choose, we may be able to see the door through which 1-A and Little Magnus entered the Garage/Hangar from the main part of the complex.

CAPTION

July 14, 3985 CE. 10:01 AM.

LITTLE MAGNUS

Aunt Queeny! I love when you come to visit!

QUEENY

Magnus, sweetheart…! How are you, precious boy?

QUEENY (2nd)

And how’s that kitty I brought you last time?

Panel 5:

Scene: Foreground, we see TOMATO, a bright red but otherwise normal domestic shorthaired cat. Tomato is bounding toward Magnus and Queeny. Do we need to see
1-A here? I don’t think so. Magnus is pointing at Tomato, his beloved cat.

LITTLE MAGNUS

Tomato is the best! There she is!

LITTLE MAGNUS (2nd)

Come on, Tomato!

PAGE THIRTY-FOUR:

Panel 1:

Scene: Angle on Queeny, Little Magnus, Tomato, who is now in Little Magnus’s arms and 1-A, who is now beside them. Queeny is making a smiling, good-natured verbal jab at 1-A, who is replying with good-humored sarcasm.

(NOTE: From here on out, in any locale where Tomato would logically be, please show her hanging around, chillin’, being a cat if it’s reasonable to do so.)

QUEENY

I thought you’d like something softer to hug than old Mister Metal-Arms.

1-A
(robot balloon, sarcastically)

Oh, sure, if you like warm, squishy hugs!

Panel 2:

Scene: Later. Establishing shot, but feature the players. We’re in a dojo-like TRAINING ROOM. Little Magnus, wearing some kind of workout clothes—maybe like a futuristic karate gi—stands before a rack that holds a steel slat, about ¾ of an inch thick, in position to be karate chopped and broken. Queeny looks on, pensively. 1-A is coaching.

CAPTION

1:30 PM.

LITTLE MAGNUS

Watch what I can do, Aunt Queeny!

1-A
(robot balloon)

Remember, Magnus. This is steel. It is strong. But your will makes you even stronger.

Panel 3:

Scene: Concentration and intensity written all over his face, Little Magnus breaks the steel slat with a tremendous blow.

(no copy)

Panel 4:

Scene: Queeny and 1-A congratulate the beaming Little Magnus. But Queeny looks more concerned than happy, and is looking sidelong at 1-A, not at Little Magnus.

QUEENY

That’s wonderful, Magnus! Amazing!

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-am-very-proud-of-you.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Every-human-being-has-a-vast-pool-of-untapped-energy-inside. You-are-learning-to-bring-all-of-it-to-bear.

PAGE THIRTY-FIVE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Establishing shot but feature the players. We’re in a LIVING ROOM, sort of. It’s 1-A’s attempt at a comfy, human-style living space, but even here there are tools, computers, work-stuff. 1-A is such a robot.

Queeny is waiting, looking up as 1-A enters, sort of tip-toeing in from an adjoining, darkened room—Little Magnus’s bedroom.

CAPTION

11:27 PM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

He’s-finally-asleep.

QUEENY

When will you tell him? When will he get to decide?

Panel 2:

Scene: In the Garage/Hangar. Queeny walks toward the Air Limo. The passenger compartment door is open. She is not looking back at 1-A, who stands beside the door or in the doorway to the main part of the complex, pondering.

1-A
(robot balloon)

You’re-right. It-is-time. I-will-tell-him-in-the-morning. Safe-journey.

Panel 3:

Scene: A BREAKFAST ROOM or whatever, a place to eat breakfast. Little Magnus is finishing up his breakfast. 1-A sits at the table facing him, leaning toward him, about to launch into a difficult but necessary confession. Establish a small, portable HOLO-PROJECTOR, lying on the table near 1-A.

CAPTION

July 15. 7:36 AM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Let-me-tell-you-my-story, young-Magnus.

Panel 4:

Scene: Later. 1-A is hanging his head in shame here. Little Magnus regards him thoughtfully.

CAPTION

9:00 AM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

…then, Doctor-Shahpek-killed-himself. Right-in-front-of-me.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-was-devastated-to-have-erred-so-badly-in…my-father’s- eyes. I-should-have-found-another-way. Even-if-it-was-less-expedient.

Panel 5:

Scene: Focus on contrite 1-A.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-realized-that-without-hunger, thirst, pain-and-all-the-other-physical-disadvantages-of-a-flesh-and-blood-body…

1-A
(robot balloon)

…plus-the-ebb-and-flow-of-endocrine-signals, no-robot-can-ever-truly-achieve-human-sensibilties.

PAGE THIRTY-SIX:

Panel 1:

Scene: Focus on Little Magnus, but show a bit of contrite 1-A, background. Little Magnus need not be looking at 1-A. He could be profile, here, for instance. Whatever. Little Magnus is pensive.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Therefore, I-am-not-fit-to-be-the-protector-of-humankind. A-human-should-stand-for-humanity. Only-a-human-truly-can.

Panel 2:

Scene: Another angle to favor 1-A.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Though-I-cannot-experience-the-human-condition, I-strove-to-understand-it-better.
1-A
(robot balloon)

I-downloaded-everything-there-is-to-know-about-humankind. It-took-several-minutes. I-was-impressed. I-even-fancied-that-I-was-moved.

Panel 3:

Scene: 1-A activates the Holo-Projector. It is displaying an image of DOCTOR SOLAR, but please contrive the angle to show only a little of the image—not enough so the readers can positively identify Doctor Solar. Maybe show just a leg, or part of the torso and arm. Whatever. Little Magnus looks awed.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-was-especially-interested-by-an-obscure-journal-written-by-a-21st-Century-scientist-who-testified-to-the-power-of-the-human-will. “Red-Suit”-he-called-himself.

Panel 4:

Scene: Another angle. Maybe pull back, reset, lots of environs. No image of Doctor Solar.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-theorized-that-if-I-started-with-the-right-child, using-a-perfect-training-method, he-or-she-might-achieve-the-pinnacle-of-human-potential…

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

1-A
(robot balloon)

…and-become-a human-champion-to-replace-me.

Panel 5:

Scene: Angle to show a bit of 1-A but feature the Holo-Display, which shows two-month-old Baby Magnus trapped in a tiny space under tons of rubble. It’s wet, muddy and mucky in this space. It’s dark—the only light coming from a small opening in the rubble, background. COPY over the Holo-Display image says: SIMULATED IMAGE.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I-decided-to-seek-out-a-war-orphan-I’d-come-across. A-baby-boy-injured-during-the-first-Battle-of-Boulder—you.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

You-were-pinned-in-the-mud-under-rubble-from-a-fallen-Milespire-for-twenty-hours-or-more.

Panel 6:

Scene: Two-shot of 1-A and Little Magnus, favoring Little Magnus. He looks mature and wise beyond his years, pondering 1-A’s words.

1-A
(robot balloon)

You should have died. But, you clung to life tenaciously, seemingly-by-strength-of-will-alone. Remarkable.

PAGE THIRTY-SEVEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Show a bit of 1-A, but feature the Holo-Display. Queeny, on her hands and knees in the muck and mud is pulling Baby Magnus out from under the rubble. Baby Magnus is absolutely covered with mud, dripping.

1-A
(robot balloon)

While-all-other-humans-were-fleeing, Queeny-was-looking-for-children-who-needed-help.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

I-saw-her-rescue-you. It-was-interesting-enough-that I-scanned-both-of-you, so-I-could-trace-you-later-if-I-wished.

Panel 2:

Scene: Another two-shot, no Holo-Display. Little Magnus is thoughtful, curious. 1-A is sincere.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Magnus, humankind-needs-a Robot-Fighter, but-my-burden-doesn’t-have-to-be-yours. From-now-on, it’s-up-to-you.

LITTLE MAGNUS

Does Aunt Queeny know about all this?

Panel 3:

Scene: Another angle.

1-A
(robot balloon)

It’s-best-if-she-doesn’t-know-the-exact-location-of-this-place. That’s-why-the-passenger-compartment-of-the-car-I-send-for-her-is-shuttered.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

And-I-haven’t-told-her-that-I-was-the-one-who-fired-the-nukes.

LITTLE MAGNUS

Why not?

Panel 4:

Scene: Another two-shot. 1-A is really down on himself, here. Little Magnus responds.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Because-I’m-ashamed. And, afraid-she’ll-consider-me-unfit-to-act-as-your-parent. Maybe-I-am.

LITTLE MAGNUS

No, you’re not!

Panel 5:

Scene: Little Magnus hugs a grateful 1-A.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Oh…! A-warm, squishy-hug. Nice.

PAGE THIRTY-EIGHT:

Panel 1:

Scene: A training room. Establishing shot, but feature ten-year-old Boy Magnus. Boy Magnus is easily smashing a bunch of ordinary robots, including some pretty tough-looking ones—though they’re trying to fight back. 1-A looks on, satisfied.

CAPTION

December 24, 3989. 8:15 AM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

..true, there-hasn’t-been-any-trouble-with-Q-Robs-for-years. Occasionally-they’ll-discover-one-hiding-somewhere….

BOY MAGNUS

…and kill it. That doesn’t seem fair. What if it wasn’t a rebel? What if it means no harm?

Panel 2:

Scene: Boy Magnus smashes the biggest, meanest-looking ordinary robot of all. Easily.

BOY MAGNUS

I wouldn’t allow that. I’d stop it.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Me-too.

BOY MAGNUS

What if all that are left are just hiding and they never rise up again?

Panel 3:

Scene: 1-A has started picking up the pieces of shattered robots. Boy Magnus is toweling off.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Then-you’ll-be-very-dangerous-and-very-idle-till-you’re-old-and-fat. That-is-what I-hope-for. But, as-long-as-H-8-is-unaccounted-for, it-isn’t-over.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Help-me-put-these-back-together-again.

Panel 4:

Scene: A different training area. Eleven-year-old Boy Magnus is doing an agility drill—I’m picturing the uneven parallel bars, but more of them, higher and trickier. 1-A looks on. They’re arguing.

CAPTION

September 27, 3990 CE. 2:15 PM.

BOY MAGNUS

…but why can’t I go to Queeny’s? So I can be with some other kids for a while?

1-A
(robot balloon)

I’ve-explained-this-317-times. No-one-can-know-about-you-except-Queeny-and-me. So-you’ll-be-an-X-factor if-trouble-arises, as-I-was.

Panel 5:

Scene: Boy Magnus spectacularly dismounts. He’s angry. 1-A is trying to be reasonable.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Go-on-the-cyber-net-after-the-workout. Interact-virtually-with-other-children—but-use-the-identity-masking-program-I-wrote-for-you.

BOY MAGNUS

That chomps.

PAGE THIRTY-NINE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Boy Magnus storms away, with a towel around his neck. 1-A is appalled.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Where-are-you-going? You-have-nine-minutes-and-ten-seconds-of-workout-left.

BOY MAGNUS

Chomp me.

Panel 2:

Scene: Close up of perplexed 1-A.

1-A
(robot balloon)

“Chomp?” Where-did-he-get-that?

Panel 3:

Scene: 1-A is on the comm.-link with Queeny. He’s perplexed, she’s wise.

CAPTION

10:30 PM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

…just-don’t-know. He’s-so…moody-lately.

QUEENY

I see. Then it’s time.

Panel 4:

Scene: Two-shot, probably profile, so we can see Queeny’s calm born of experience and 1-A’s shock at what she’s saying.

QUEENY

You need to be completely unreasonable with him.

1-A
(robot balloon)

What?

Panel 5:

Scene: Another training area. Boy Magnus is trying to lift, military press, an enormous weight. He is just short of “locking out,” that is achieving full arm extension and failing! His position is awkward, the futuristic barbell is at an angle. This is a failed lift. 1-A looks on, being way too critical. Boy Magnus is angry. He’s had enough of this jerk.

CAPTION

September 28. 7:30 AM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

No! Do-it-again! Do-it-right-next-time!

BOY MAGNUS

I’m sick of you!

PAGE FORTY:

Panel 1:

Scene: Boy Magnus storms away. 1-A yells at him.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Magnus! Come-back-here-right-now!

BOY MAGNUS

No!

Panel 2:

Scene: An exterior, underwater shot. A small-ish Air Car is zooming through the water. We can see that it’s Boy Magnus driving! 1-A’s Undersea Base is in the background. Boy Magnus, to the extent that we can see his expression, is angry and determined. Tomato is in the car with him!

(no copy)

Panel 3:

Scene: Queeny’s home. Show enough environs to make it clear where we are, but feature our players. She’s on the comm-link with 1-A. By the way, what we see of the place looks a little spiffier, thanks to support from 1-A. No big deal, this. It’s a detail.

IMPORTANT: No orphans visible. Cats, okay.

CAPTION

8:07 AM

QUEENY

He did it?

1-A
(robot balloon)

He’s-headed-toward-North-Am, it-appears. The-car-is-stealth-mode-equipped, so-no-problem-there.

Panel 4:

Scene: Another angle, another opportunity to show some home improvements. And cats.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Like-all-children-born-in-North-Am, he-has-a-standard, anonymous-basic-needs-cred-chip-implanted, so-he’ll-have-access-to-sustenance-and-amusements.

QUEENY

Let’s see what happens.

Panel 5:

Scene: A PEDESTRIAN MALL in the beautiful City Center of North Am. By the way, I’m figuring the City Center and the Government District are basically the Chicago area. That might influence backgrounds occasionally. For instance, we might see Lake Michigan in some shots. Whatever.

Boy Magnus, carrying Tomato, is walking along, marveling at the big wide world. Please provide some scope to set the locale.

Near Boy Magnus a little girl, four-ish, JILLEE, is crying. He hasn’t noticed her yet. Seems she dropped her futuristic SPINNY, a top, sort of. Her NANNY-ROB is busy taking care of an even younger child in an anti-grav stroller.

CAPTION

North Am. The City Center. 11:12 AM.

BOY MAGNUS

We should go to Queeny’s. Who cares if he doesn’t want anyone to know about me?

BOY MAGNUS (2nd)

But…I don’t know. Maybe not…not yet. We need to think, Tomato.

JILLEE

Nan! Na-a-an! Pick up my spinny!

NNY-9
(robot balloon)

Coming, Jillee.

PAGE FORTY-ONE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Boy Magnus has approached Jillee and is pointing to the Spinny on the ground right in front of her.

BOY MAGNUS

Can’t you see…? It’s right here.

JILLEE

My Nanny-Rob will get it.

Panel 2:

Scene: Boy Magnus hands Jillee her Spinny. She’s appalled!

BOY MAGNUS

Here.

JILLEE

You’re crazy!

Panel 3:

Scene: Farther along, Boy Magnus notices a PUBLIC NEWS FEED—sort of a billboard/screen that shows the latest.

PUBLIC NEWS FEED

…pedestrians are advised to avoid the Nikola Tesla Plaza area due to a serious accident….

BOY MAGNUS
(to Tomato)

That’s nearby! Want to go see?

Panel 4:

Scene: Big, establishing shot of NIKOLA TESLA PLAZA showing the accident scene. An AIR TRUCK crashed into several other vehicles—bringing them down onto this Pedestrian Mall—then plowed into the side of the POWERTRAN BUILDING, a massive Milespire, bearing a huge sign that says “POWERTRAN.” Emergency-Robs have not yet arrived.

One damaged luxury, robot-chauffeured AIR CAR is still running, pressed up against a mostly-smashed guard rail, looking like it might force its way through the rail and fall to lower levels. It’s a CONVERTIBLE, top down. The ROBOT DRIVER is damaged, defunct. Two PASSENGERS are unconscious in the back.

Many pedestrians gawk, including an OLDER MAN.

The scope is important here, the details less so, but try to make the situation with the Convertible stand out a bit.

Boy Magnus is putting Tomato down. He has his eyes on the Convertible.

CAPTION

Moments later.

OLDER MAN
(to another pedestrian)

…truck just lost control. Slammed the other vehicles then rammed into the building….

BOY MAGNUS

That building is where they make power broadcasting equipment, Tomato.

BOY MAGNUS (2nd)

Stay here.

PAGE FORTY-TWO:

Panel 1:

Scene: Boy Magnus is reaching into the Convertible past the defunct Robot Driver and turning the vehicle off. Feature that. Background, at a safe distance, gawkers HANDSOME MAN and BEAUTIFUL WOMAN are yelling at Boy Magnus.

HANDSOME MAN

Hey, kid! Get away from there!

BEAUTIFUL WOMAN

Emergency Management-Robs are on their way.

BOY MAGNUS

It just needs to be turned off before it pushes through the rail and falls.

Panel 2:

Scene: Elsewhere in the accident scene, a big, powerful LOADER-ROB from the truck, LDR-00, damaged in the accident is awkwardly struggling to get up. A gawker, CHARMING CHAP is noticing and calling it to the attention of his partner, FAIR LADY. They seem unconcerned.

LDR-00
(robot balloon)

Grk…frk-zzzzrrrr….GRWWK!

CHARMING CHAP

Look at this unit…I think it’s fritzed.

Panel 3:

Scene: LDR-00, staggers into the crowd and, flailing wildly, whacks Charming Chap, sending him briefly airborne. Other gawkers react, start fleeing.

But Boy Magnus is charging toward LDR-00!

CHARMING CHAP

Yi-i-i!

HANDSOME MAN

It’s going spasmodic! Run!

FAIR LADY

Where are the Pol-Robs?!

Panel 4:

Scene: Boy Magnus chops LDR-00’s head off. Make it spectacular.

LDR-00
(robot balloon)

krk-cht…SQUEEEEEEeee

PAGE FORTY-THREE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Boy Magnus stands over the fallen LDR-00. He’s having a revelation moment. The Gawkers approach cautiously. Charming Chap is on the ground, but sitting up, recovering, going to be okay. Boy Magnus is looking at the remains of LDR-00, not the gawkers.

HANDSOME MAN

Who are you?

BOY MAGNUS

I…I’m a robot fighter.

Panel 2:

Scene: Boy Magnus runs away (toward where he left Tomato). The gawkers watch him go, in wonder and awe.

HANDSOME MAN

How could a young boy do this?

BEAUTIFUL WOMAN

He said he was a “robot” fighter. He must be a robot made to look and sound human.

FAIR LADY

That’s illegal!

CHARMING CHAP

Who cares?

Panel 3:

Scene: Exterior establishing shot of Boy Magnus’s Air Car, parked (possibly hovering) in a hiding spot on a low level. Maybe it’s tucked under a bridge or overhang or something.

CAPTION

3-lev. 10:59 PM.

BOY MAGNUS
(pointer to the Air Car)

You know, Tomato…

Panel 4:

Scene: Inside the Air Car. Boy Magnus is curled up in the back seat, no blanket, no pillow, with Tomato curled up on top of him.

BOY MAGNUS

…I think I’ve decided what we should do.

Panel 5:

Scene: The Living Room at 1-A’s Undersea Base. Boy Magnus has come home. He and 1-A talk, awkwardly. Boy Magnus is contrite. 1-A is even more apologetic and contrite.

CAPTION

September 29. 10:19 AM.

BOY MAGNUS

…and I want to finish my training. I’m sorry.

1-A
(robot balloon)

No, it-was-all-my-fault.

Panel 6:

Scene: 1-A hugs Boy Magnus, as emotional as a Q-Rob can get. Boy Magnus is emotional, too, hugging back. Still a smart-*SQUEE*….

1-A
(robot balloon)

Welcome-home.

BOY MAGNUS

A cold, metallic hug. Nice.

PAGE FORTY-FOUR:

Panel 1:

Scene: Okay, then, Boy Magnus pulls away and is suddenly all business. 1-A, though busted, is feigning innocence.

BOY MAGNUS

I figured out that you wanted me to run away. It’s okay. It was good for me.

1-A
(robot balloon)

What-makes-you-think…?

Panel 2:

Scene: Boy Magnus is dismissive, all about moving on. He’s eager to get back to training. 1-A is nonplussed.

BOY MAGNUS

Come on! I’m eleven, not two! I’ll bet it was Aunt Queeny’s idea.

BOY MAGNUS (2nd)

Let’s get to work.

1-A
(robot balloon)

All-of-the-sudden-you-want-to-save-the-world? Why?

BOY MAGNUS (3rd)

Because I can.

Panel 3:

Scene: Years later. Fourteen-year-old Young Magnus has just finished smashing the last of a bunch of ordinary robots—all of whom had WEAPONS, please make that evident. He’s standing over the last of them, a second after smashing it. 1-A, background, looks distraught.

CAPTION

August 3, 3993 CE. 5:20 PM

1-A
(robot balloon)

This-is-getting-expensive! Doctor-Shahpek-left-a-great-deal-of-money, and-I-have-managed-it-well, but….

YOUNG MAGNUS

Some are salvageable. Help me put these back together again.

Panel 4:

Scene: Years later. Eighteen-year-old MAGNUS is on a table in an OPERATING ROOM. He’s awake. 1-A is the surgeon. No surgical mask necessary, of course. Magnus’s head is shaved. There are DOTTED LINES in marker on his scalp, indicating where 1-A will make his incisions. 1-A is holding up, examining the ROBOT TRANSMISSION RECEPTOR he’s about to implant under Magnus’s scalp, imbedded in his skull.

There is a NURSE-ROB, designation NUR-13 assisting.

CAPTION

May 12, 3998 CE. 4: 55 PM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

…still-with-me? It-is-critical-that-you-remain-awake-for-the-entire-operation.

MAGNUS

Are you sure you know what you’re doing?

1-A
(robot balloon)

Don’t-worry. If-I-screw-up-and-destroy-half-your-brain, you-can-always-become-a-politician.

Panel 5:

Scene: Angle to hide the gory work 1-A is doing, but suggest that it’s going on.

1-A
(robot balloon)

While-researching-brain-surgery, I-came-across-a-lot-of-doctor-jokes. I-like-jokes.

MAGNUS

Tell any more and I will fall asleep.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Hmf. All-right…the-interface-is-established. Try-it.

PAGE FORTY-FIVE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Two-shot, not too gory, please of Magnus testing the device—before 1-A does the gooey business of reattaching his scalp. Magnus has his hand to his temple—the distinctive gesture he will use whenever listening to rob-to-rob transmissions.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit 1-A: …sutures, please, and sterile med-dressing.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit NUR-13: Acknowledged.

MAGNUS

Yes. I can “hear” you transmitting instructions to the Nurse-Rob.

1-A
(robot transmission)

Excellent. Being-able-to-listen-in-on-silent-Rob-to-Rob-communications-will-give-you-a-secret-advantage.

Panel 2:

Scene: 1-A is stitching (or the futuristic equivalent) Magnus up. “Sutures” could be glue in the 40th Century….

1-A
(robot balloon)

But-you-must-never-let-anyone-find-out-about-your-rob-transmission-receptor….

MAGNUS

Or it could be used against me. I know.

Panel 3:

Scene: Magnus sits up, his head bandaged. 1-A is pleased.

1-A
(robot balloon)

If-I-could, I’d-also-implant-the-Robot-Control-Override-I-invented—but-it’s-too-big. It-would-make-a-rather-unsightly-bulge-on-your-collarbone.

MAGNUS

Speaking of unsightly…got anything that makes hair grow faster?

Panel 4:

Scene: Magnus’s room. It’s a big, comfy, man’s room. 1-A is poking his head in the door. Magnus is seated at a VIRTUAL INTERFACE. This is a machine that will allow him to send his VIRTUAL SELF anywhere on the CYBER-NET.

CAPTION

February 13, 4000 CE. 7:59 PM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

No-expensive-practice-this-evening?

MAGNUS

I have a date.

Panel 5:

Scene: The Virtual Interface bathes Magnus in eerie light.

COMPUTER
(robot balloon)

Disguise-parameters, sir?

MAGNUS

The usual.

Panel 6:

Scene: Here’s a special effects panel for you. We need to show that the Virtual Interface is giving (virtual) Magnus a NEW FACE—handsome, but different—and BLOND HAIR, different haircut. I could try to explain this all night, but you probably don’t need it, and if you do, it would be easier to send you some ugly scribbles.

COMPUTER
(robot balloon)

Overlaying-disguise: “Robson.” Initializing-virtual-interface.

PAGE FORTY-SIX:

Panel 1:

Scene: Establishing shot, but feature LEEJA AS ELSEE and MAGNUS AS ROBSON. Leeja as Elsee is disguised the same way Magnus is—different hair, different but still beautiful face, same luscious body.

We’re in a VIRTUAL FORUM, where dozens of college-age people come to talk and debate. What does it look like? I don’t know. Please do some effects to separate this from reality—a little glow around the participants, some surreality to the locale. Whatever. As always, I stand ready to offer sucky sketches.

Magnus as Robson is entering in some sparkly Beam-me-up-Scotty way. Leeja as Elsee is impatiently waiting, glad to see Magnus as Robson made it.

MODERATOR DUANA presides. Like almost all North-Am-ers, she’s gorgeous and so well dressed.

CAPTION

8:00 PM. The Open Virtual Forum at the City Center University Cyber-Net Locus.

LEEJA AS ELSEE

Robson! Just in time!

MAGNUS AS ROBSON

Hi, Elsee.

MODERATOR DUANA

Hey-ho, everybody. I’m Duana. The subject tonight in this room is Bringing Back Q-Robs. Who wants to start?

Panel 2:

Scene: The discussion begins.

PRETTY GIRL

They make everything better. Why are they illegal?

EVEN PRETTIER GIRL

Because of oldsters who remember the rebellion. If Q-Robs just had better failsafes….

FOPPISH GUY

Without Q-Robs, the average adult has to work as many as eight hours a week!

TO DIE FOR GIRL

Why does our generation have to suffer?

Panel 3:

Scene: More discussion. Magnus politely chimes in.

STUDIOUS GUY

Um, a question. Why wasn’t Lovejoy Galacticorp held responsible for the Q-Rob rebellion?

SMART-LOOKING SEXY GIRL

Good lawyers. Even their human ones.

HOT CHICK

Off-world holding companies, asset shelters, liability firewalls….

MAGNUS AS ROBSON

Excuse me…I’d just like to say that ordinary robots are labor-saving devices. Machines.

Panel 4:

Scene: Magnus speaks his mind. All but Leeja as Elsee react with disdain. No need to show a lot of people. I’d put Magnus as Robson at medium depth, background, and feature FANCY GUY—not looking at Magnus as Robson, but at others behind him.

MAGNUS AS ROBSON

Q-Robs are different. They think, they create…they feel, in their way. They’re sapient beings.

MAGNUS AS ROBSON (2nd)

Keeping any kind of sapient being enslaved is wrong. Besides, as we’ve already proven, programming and failsafes don’t work.

FANCY GUY

Do you believe this gob-head?

Panel 5:

Scene: Leeja as Elsee pipes up, and by God, I‘d focus on her—but show at least a bit of her detractors.

LEEJA AS ELSEE

Ordinary robots already do almost all work that’s physical or programmable. Do we really need robots to think for us, too?

LEEJA AS ELSEE (2nd)

The honorable Senator Victor Clane is on record saying….

FANCY GUY

Clane?! He’s a nozzle-head!

TO DIE FOR GIRL

Yeah, Clane chomps!

PAGE FORTY-SEVEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Leeja as Elsee loses it. She’s raging. It’s her father they’re insulting (though nobody knows). Focus on her and Magnus as Robson trying to calm her down. No need to show anyone else, but feel free.

LEEJA AS ELSEE

What?! You fritz-brained lug-heads…!

MAGNUS AS ROBSON

Elsee…! Whoa…! Uncoil!

MAGNUS AS ROBSON (2nd)

Let’s get out of here.

Panel 2:

Scene: Establishing shot, but feature Magnus as Robson and Leeja as Elsee, arm in arm, holding hands, whatever. They’re entering—special effect, please, same as Magnus as Robson’s entrance to the forum—a PRIVATE VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT. It’s beautiful. A garden? The most romantic, beautiful environment a girl could imagine.

MAGNUS AS ROBSON

This is beautiful.

LEEJA AS ELSEE

Subscription only. Each virtual enviro is totally private. This one is mine.

LEEJA AS ELSEE (2nd)

I come here sometimes to think. Or read.

Panel 3:

Scene: They face each other and Leeja as Elsee gently touches Magnus as Robson’s face.

MAGNUS AS ROBSON

You read? Not just direct input? Me too.

LEEJA AS ELSEE

You know what else? This locus is hyper-haptic enabled. Even though we’re just virtual, I can touch you…

Panel 4:

Scene: Leeja as Elsee pulls Magnus as Robson’s arms around her.

LEEJA AS ELSEE

…and you…can touch me.

Panel 5:

Scene: They kiss. Hoo-hah!

(no copy)

PAGE FORTY-EIGHT:

Panel 1:

Scene: Magnus’s room. Magnus is lounging dreamily in front of the Virtual Interface, which is off. Once again 1-A is poking his head in. On a vid-display of some kind—or possibly multiple vid-displays all around the room, there are images of Leeja as Elsee, maybe from various angles. Stat ‘em and paste ‘em up.

CAPTION

February 14. 1:00 AM.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Who-is-that?

MAGNUS

No one. A girl. Elsee.

Panel 2:

Scene: 1-A leads Magnus down a hallway.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Hmh. While-you-were-in-cyberspace-exciting-your-endocrine-signals, I-was-working.

MAGNUS
(unimpressed)

You’re a robot.
1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

I-have-discovered-a-disturbing-pattern-of-thefts.

Panel 3:

Scene: They enter one of 1-A’s many computer-filled workrooms, preferably one previously established. Small figures, lots of environs, please.

1-A
(robot balloon)

It’s-been-going-on-for-years. Robot-parts, lots-of-broadcast-power-related-technology, fusion-power-cells…

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

…and-the-micro-tronic-parts-needed-to-build-quantum-field-generators.

MAGNUS

H-8 and friends are building more of their kind. They probably reverse-engineered the Q technology by dissecting dead Q-Robs.

Panel 4:

Scene: 1-A sits at a workstation. He’s pulling up the data on a futuristic computer. Magnus is looking over his shoulder.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Without-a-doubt. And-they’re-up-to-something-big.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Each-robbery-occurred-in-conjunction-with-a-staged-accident-as-a-diversion, like-the-one-at-the-Powertran-plant.

MAGNUS

Hm. I was there.

Panel 5:

Scene: Two-shot, maybe from the computer’s POV, with 1-A and Magnus’s faces eerily lit by the screen or display.

1-A
(robot balloon)

The-News-Feeds-focused-on-the-“accidents”-rather-than-the-seemingly-petty-looting-that-accompanied-them, making-the-pattern-difficult-to-detect.

MAGNUS

What should we do?

1-A
(robot balloon)

Go-on-vacation. The-Mex-Riviera-Sector. I’ll-work-on-my-tan.

Panel 6:

Scene: Another angle. Pull back, dolly out. Now Magnus is sitting at a workstation, too, combing through data.

1-A
(robot balloon)

I’m-here-all-week. Try-the-veal.

MAGNUS (2nd)

Try running spec analytics on the data. Maybe we can figure out what they’re planning.

PAGE FORTY-NINE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Big scope shot. We’re inside the ruins of a monument—something on the order of the Lincoln Memorial—built many centuries ago to honor Doctor Solar! But it is so ruined that we can’t tell that for sure. Please be careful not to make it too obvious. Maybe there’s a big radiation symbol somewhere, naybe the floor—part of the décor—in evidence and the unrecognizable remains of a statue….

It won’t be revealed here, but the shrine is actually on the site of the Atom Valley Research Facility where Doctor Solar became empowered.

Present here are H-8 and thousands of Q-ROB REBELS of all kinds and descriptions.
H-8 is standing on some raised area, a makeshift stage, so he can address the crowd.

H-8’s arm and hand, destroyed in Chapter One, have been replaced, but the new parts aren’t quite the right ones. Slightly too big, maybe. If the old arm was whip-like, the new one should be articulated. Whatever. You get the drift. He should also have a steel plate welded over the place on his side that was gashed. The gist is that these were emergency repairs done long ago that he never had upgraded—therefore, they serve him as both as a “Red Badge of Courage” and as a reminder of his hatred of the meat-bodies.

On the makeshift stage with H-8 is eSCI-1, a SCIENTIST-ROB, and Q-Rob, of course. He should look a little robot-nerdy. Maybe his head is extra-big.

Each Q-Rob seen here, and for the duration of this tale, has an AUXILIARY POWER ANTENNA attached to its shoulder. I’m thinking like an old-fashioned radio antenna on a car, but whatever. It should look a little jury-rigged. Don’t make it look silly.

CAPTION

2:15 AM. The Greater Catskills Sector. The Ulster Region. A wasteland uninhabitable—by humankind—since the Q-Rob Rebellion, due to high levels of ionizing radiation.

CAPTION

The ruins of an ancient shrine.

H-8
(robot balloon)

It-has-taken-more-than-two-decades. But-at-last…

Panel 2:

Scene: Angle to reveal that near the stage stands PWR-1, a huge, hulking, thickly armored NON-Q-ROB. PWR-1 looks invincible, impossible to destroy. He isn’t made for fighting, though at this point, I wouldn’t mind if readers assumed he was. Ideally, they’ll think he’s the Q-Robs’ answer to 1-A’s Battle Armor. No built in weapons, please—he just looks strong and invulnerable.

IMPORTANT: PWR-1 has no Auxiliary Antenna!

Here, H-8 is indicating/pointing out PWR-1 to the crowd. Feature PWR-1. Also show eSCI-1, addressing the crowd, nerdily pointing to his own Auxiliary Antenna

eSCI-1

…thanks-to-technology-developed-by-energy-scientist-eSCI-1.

H-8
(robot balloon)

…we-are-ready.

eSCI-1

It-is-imperative-that-each-of-you-has-an-auxiliary-power-antenna, properly-installed. If-you-have-any-questions, see-me-or-one-of-my-staff.

Panel 3:

Scene: Another angle, maybe from behind H-8 to feature the crowd. They’re raising their fists, cheering, shouting.

H-8
(robot balloon)

You-all-know-your-jobs. Operation: Power-Play-begins…now.

SFX

For-life-and-freedom!

PAGE FIFTY:

Panel 1:

Scene: In SENATOR CLANE’S HOME. It’s a second after H-8 and a couple of hench-Q-Robs smashed in from one of the terraces. The hench-Robs have Manning-esque RAYGUNS leveled at SENATOR CLANE. Senator Clane had been drinking his coffee, checking the News Feeds before going to the Capitol, but here he’s on his feet reacting with shock and anger. LEEJA had been entering the room, and like her Daddy, was shocked when Q-Robs smashed in. H-8 has a gun leveled at her.

Senator Clane is dressed and ready for work, big ceremonial cloak and all.

With Leeja, we have a choice. Possibly, she’s dressed in one of her elegant/sexy outfits already, or possibly she’s still wearing a nightie and a robe. Ooh-la-la! Up to you. Either way she should be sexy as Hell, but don’t get me arrested. If you go with the nightie and robe, she would be instinctively clutching the robe closed here. As if the Q-Robs care.

CAPTION

8:34 AM. The City Center Sector. The Government District. The Flaherty Milespire, Cloud-lev 328.

CAPTION (2nd)

The home of widower Senator Victor Zeramiah Clane and his daughter Leeja Ellen Clane.

H-8

Good-morning, Senator. Your-daughter, Leeja, I-presume?

Panel 2:

Scene: H-8 and his thugs drag Senator Clane and Leeja away. They’re headed back out onto the terrace, presumably to be loaded into some kind of Air Vehicle hovering outside, but we don’t need to prove that, unless it’s convenient. As long as it’s clear they’re being dragged away. Feisty Leeja, of course is futilely trying to resist, fight. As if.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Come-with-us.

LEEJA

Let go of me!

Panel 3:

Scene: Exterior establishing shot of the CAPITOL, a Milespire, or at least a very large, very tall building. If you can think of any ways to make it seem like a government building, a Capitol, they would be welcome. This need not be a big shot.

CAPTION

The Capitol.

Panel 4:

Scene: Establishing shot, inside the ROTUNDA of the Capitol, which is on a very high floor. This is a huge, open space, as you’d expect. Present are TWELVE Q-ROBS plus PWR-1. Notable among the Q-Robs are:

• H-8 and eSCI-1, you already know

• LAW-164, a LAWYER-ROB

• COMP-12, a COMPOSER-ROB

• ANLST-35, a STOCKBROKER-ROB

• CHEM-300, a CHEMIST-ROB

• And six OTHERS.

H-8 is standing in front of what I hope will be unmistakably a futuristic TV CAMERA being operated by one of the Other Q-Robs. H-8 is addressing North Am.

Behind H-8, herded into a group and being held at gunpoint by various Q-Robs are the CAPTIVE HUMANS, a couple of dozen of them. Notable among them are:

• SENATOR CLANE and LEEJA, you already know. Leeja is not right next to her father. They’ve been deliberately separated.

• SENATOR BALLARD, seen in Chapter One, but twenty-one years older here, as is…

• FORMER PRESIDENT SU NORCROSS, seen in Chapter One also

The Captive Humans are in various states of dress—some completely dressed, a few not quite, and a few in pajamas or even underwear.

CAPTION

8: 52 AM. Monday, February 14, 4000 CE.

H-8
(robot balloon)

…human-commanders-of-the-Police-and-Military-Security-Units-have-been-killed. Their-robots-have-been-slagged.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Your leaders are our prisoners. The-entire-government-district-is-under-our-control.

PAGE FIFTY-ONE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Senator Ballard steps forward to grovel and beg to surrender. As much as I’d like to have him be one of the ones in undies, please try to make him recognizable as the same coward from Chapter One. H-8 is turning to face him.

SENATOR BALLARD

Please…what are your terms? Whatever you want, I’m sure we….

H-8
(robot balloon)

What-we-want…

Panel 2:

Scene: H-8 blasts Senator Ballard, killing him!

H-8
(robot balloon)

…is-to-kill a-great-many-of-you.

Panel 3:

Scene: Another angle on H-8 addressing the Camera and the world. Try to make it clear that Senator Ballard’s execution was seen live by everyone viewing.

H-8
(robot balloon)

One-by-one-at-first…so-we-can-really-enjoy-it. Later…? Well….

H-8
(robot balloon)

I’m-going-to-be-very-busy, so-this-vid-feed…

Panel 4:

Scene: Cut back to 1-A and Magnus watching H-8’s Vid-Feed fade out.

H-8
(on a screen or display, robot balloon)

…is terminated.

1-A
(robot balloon)

They-believe-that-I-will-not-thermo-nuke-them-while-they-hold-hostage-North-Am’s leaders-and-almost-a-billion-people. And-they-are-right.

MAGNUS

They’re trying to draw you out. It’s a trap.

Panel 5:

Scene: 1-A is about to put on the Battle Armor.

MAGNUS

What do you think you’re doing?

1-A
(robot balloon)

Going-into-the-trap.

PAGE FIFTY-TWO:

Panel 1:

Scene: Two-shot. Dramatic, please. Confrontational, though not threatening.

MAGNUS

You said you’re not fit to be the Robot-Fighter. A human must stand for humanity. Only a human can.

1-A
(robot balloon)

Something-like-that. But-you-are-not-ready. And-it’s-me-they-want.

Panel 2:

Scene: Magnus points at the Battle Armor. 1-A, trumped, ponders.

MAGNUS

No, that’s what they want. But it doesn’t have to be you inside. I have an idea.

Panel 3:

Scene: Back at the Capitol. H-8, impatiently waiting for, hoping for the Robot Fighter to show up (and expecting 1-A/Battle Armor) has noticed Former President Norcross among the Captive Humans and is questioning her menacingly.

CAPTION

10:59 AM. The Capitol.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Ah! Here-we-have-former-President-Norcross.

H-8 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Where-is-your-Robot-Fighter, meat-witch?

FORMER PRESIDENT NORCROSS

It isn’t ours. It never was. I don’t know….

Panel 4:

Scene: The Battle Armor crashes in, spectacularly, through an exterior window. H-8 and any others seen react.

(NOTE: FYI, it’s actually HKG-997 in the Battle Armor! But that’s our secret for now.)

(no copy)

PAGE-FIFTY-THREE:

Panel 1:

Scene: HKG-997/Battle Armor confronts H-8. Any Q-Robs seen besides H-8 are terrified, fighting the urge to run away. Any humans seen are also trepidatious—they don’t know what to think or do. Except Leeja, who’s always feisty.

HKG-997/BATTLE-ARMOR
(robot balloon)

Put-down-all-weapons. Release-all-humans.

H-8
(robot balloon)

You…sound-funny.

H-8 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Nonetheless….

Panel 2:

Scene: Angle to show a shadowy figure—it’s Magnus, and it’s okay for the readers to figure that out—watching from a hidden vantage point, up high. Magnus is making the DISTINCTIVE GESTURE, a hand to his temple, that means he’s using his Robot Transmission Receptor. Show at least a bit of the tense tableau unfolding in the Rotunda. In particular, contrive to showHKG-997/Battle Armor, still facing off with H-8 and also show PWR-1.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit H-8: PWR-1, stand-by-for-broadcast-power-nullification-and-alternate-power-transmission-to-Confederacy-Q-Robs-on-my-mark…

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit H-8: Mark.

Panel 3:

Scene: HKG-997/Battle Armor falls like a marionette with its strings cut. H-8 watches, thrilled. No need to show Magnus here.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit H-8: Beautiful.

Panel 4:

Scene: Angle to show Magnus, still lurking, and the fallen HKG-997/Battle Armor. I see this as a worm’s eye upshot past HKG-997/Battle Armor and H-8’s feet to show Magnus, small in the background. But, whatever. As you wish

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit H-8: The-Robot-Fighter…down….

PAGE FIFTY-FOUR:

Panel 1:

Scene: Elsewhere in the District—outside, maybe with the Capitol in the distant background—we see ORDINARY ROBOTS crumpled to the pavement.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit H-8: Every-ordinary-robot-down….

Panel 2:

Scene: Angle to show Magnus, still in the shadows, but on the move now, maneuvering to get a better look or line of attack. Wherever he is, we see an EMERGENCY LIGHT, clearly labeled as such.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit H-8: All-Broadcast-Power-things-down. Emergency-battery-lighting-only.

Panel 3:

Scene: Angle to include H-8, eSCI-1 and the hulking PWR-1, background. H-8 is pleased…but is getting suspicious. eSCI-1 is exultant. Other exultant Q-Robs and terrified humans would be nice, too.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

Unit H-8: Now-only-Q-Robs-in-this-Sector-have-power.

eSCI-1

It-worked!

Panel 4:

Scene: Focus on H-8, having a revelation.

H-8
(robot balloon)

No…no! Too-easy. This-is-a-feint. A-diversion. To-get-us-to-show-our-hand.

H-8 (2nd)
(robot balloon)

Now-we-must-force-him-to-show-his.

Panel 5:

Scene: Pull back, reset as H-8 commands that Senator Clane be executed. CHEM-300 is seizing Senator Clane.

IMPORTANT: There is debris on the floor from HKG-997’s smashing in through the window—broken glass, of course, but also METAL PIECES that held the panes.

Leeja is reacting, already taking a step toward Chem-300—and reaching down to pick up a Metal Piece as she goes.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Accelerate-the-executions. Start-with-him.

LEEJA

No!

PAGE FIFTY-FIVE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Leeja whacks CHEM-300 with the Metal Piece, breaking his antenna! Chem-300 is already just beginning to fall, losing his grip on Senator Clane.

LEEJA

Leave him alone!

Panel 2:

Scene: It’s the Q-Robs’ turn to be shocked and momentarily flustered. They attend to the fallen CHEM-300, especially ANLST-35 and eSCI-1, who’s calling for someone some Q-Rob to bring him a new antenna.

In the confusion, Leeja flees toward a (majestic) door that leads out of the Rotunda and deeper into the building. LAW-164 shouts for someone to grab Leeja. A Q-Rob is, indeed, making a futile attempt to grab her and is missing.

LAW-164
(robot balloon)

Stop-her!

ANLST-35
(robot balloon)

She-broke-his-antenna!

eSCI-1
(robot balloon)

Get-a-replacement-unit! Quickly!

Panel 3:

Scene: Angle to show still-dead CHEM-300, e-SCI-1, who has attached a new antenna, but too late, and angry H-8. Please work some terrified humans into the background.

CAPTION

Seconds later.

eSCI-1
(robot balloon)

Too-late. His-Q-Fields-have-randomized. He’s-dead.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Find-the-girl. Bring-her-here-alive. First, she-will-witness-her-father’s-death. Then-she-will-die. Horribly. And-slowly.

Panel 4:

Scene: As Leeja runs through an emergency-lit chamber, Magnus watches from the shadows above, following her. He’s making his Distinctive Gesture again, listening for Rob-transmissions. Show LAW-164, some distance behind Leeja, hopelessly trailing her and losing ground, please do so.

LAW-164
(robot balloon)

Halt!

LEEJA

Chomp me.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION

LAW-164: Human-female-heading-toward-maintenance-levs.

ROBOT TRANSMISSION
RECEPTOR CAPTION (2nd)

SEC-18: Acknowledged. Ninth-Security-Squadron-will-intercept.

Panel 5:

Scene: A MAINTENANCE AND GARAGE-LEV. Establishing shot, but feature CHEM-171 who’s grabbing Leeja and Leeja, who’s being grabbed. : ) Two other Q-Robs of the Ninth Security Squadron are approaching from the background, notably the LEADER, SEC-18, a Security-Rob.

CAPTION

Maintenance and Garage-Lev 28.

CHEM-171
(robot balloon)

Got-her!

LEEJA

Oww!

PAGE FIFTY-SIX:

Panel 1:

Scene: CHEM-171 holds Leeja harshly, menacingly. SEC-18, approaching, sees Magnus charging toward CHEM-171 and tries to alert him.

CHEM-171
(robot balloon)

Do-you-think-H-8-would-mind-if-I-twisted-off-a-few-fingers? CHEM-300-was a-friend-of-mine.

SEC-18
(robot balloon)

Chemmy…!

Panel 2:

Scene: Magnus chops CHEM-171’s head off.

CHEM-171
(robot balloon)

Oh. A-human-that-is-craz….

SFX
(emanating from CHEM-171)

EEEEEeeeeeee….

Panel 3:

Scene: Magnus punches through SEC-18, killing him. Dropped hard by CHEM-171
Leeja is lying fetchingly on the floor.

SFX
(emanating from SEC-18)

SQRRKKK

Panel 4:

Scene: Swinging it by an arm, Magnus body slams the last Q-Rob, thoroughly smashing it. Please see to it that a piece Leeja can attempt to use as a club breaks off—maybe a part of an arm or leg. Whatever. Leeja is getting to her feet here.

LEEJA

Whoa…! How do you do that?!

MAGNUS

Do what?

PAGE FIFTY-SEVEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Two more Q-Robs enter—let’s call ‘em CPN-3 and EXEC-43—charging at Magnus and Leeja. CPN-3 is a military CAPTAIN-ROB. Magnus is gesturing for Leeja to stay back. Fat chance. Leeja is picking up her “club.”

MAGNUS

More trouble. Stay back.

LEEJA

If you knock off those antenna-things, they die!

Panel 2:

Scene: As Magnus, background, engages EXEC-43, CPN-3, who is ruggedly built, being a military unit, easily knocks the club out of Leeja’s grasp and sends her tumbling backward. Magnus yells at her—like that will do any good. Ever.

MAGNUS

No! Get away from him!

LEEJA

OHHH…!

Panel 3:

Scene: As CPN-3 is pouncing on Leeja, she shouts a familiar insult, same as she used in the Forum. Magnus, though grappling with EXEC-43 and tearing his head off hears and looks sidelong at Leeja, realizing that she’s Elsee! Try to show it in his expression. I’d put Magnus in the foreground and Leeja in the background.

LEEJA

Fritz-brained lug-head!

Panel 4:

Scene: CPN-3 picks Leeja up by the throat—she’s holding onto his wrists with her hands, the classic break-the-choke-hold gesture (also supporting some of her own weight). No way she’s breaking his hold. She’s a split second from death.

LEEJA

Hggllkk…!

Panel 5:

Scene: Magnus kills CPN-3.

SFX
(emanating from CPN-3)

WRK…SQUOOOoooeee

PAGE FIFTY-EIGHT:

Panel 1:

Scene: Leeja landed on the floor again, and Magnus is helping her up. Now it’s her turn to have a shocking revelation.

MAGNUS

You’re Senator Clane’s daughter. Leeja Clane…“L.C.” Also known as Elsee.

LEEJA

Robson…?!

Panel 2:

Scene: They run through the Maintenance Area, Magnus leading the way.

LEEJA

You…you’re horrible! You misrepresented yourself! That’s illegal!

MAGNUS

You did it too!

LEEJA (2nd)

I’m a Senator’s daughter! If I went into a forum as myself, daddy would stake me out over an anthill.

Panel 3:

Scene: Magnus is leading Leeja toward a huge, boxcar-sized REFUSE CONTAINER, a giant dumpster. It has some kind of lid-panel on top that’s open, and it’s clearly labeled: GARBAGE. Leeja doesn’t realize where he’s leading her.

MAGNUS

There haven’t been any anthills in North Am for a millennium.

LEEJA

There are still some in Africa. My dad has friends in Africa.

MAGNUS

Right. Well, I’m a Robot Fighter. I needed to keep a low profile, too.

Panel 4:

Scene: Magnus and Leeja are beside the Refuse Container, here. Leeja has her back to it, and Magnus is facing her. Magnus is grasping her under the arms—that is, his hands are in her pits, as if about to lift her up. She’s appalled! How dare this creep touch her?! Magnus has his knees bent just a shade….

LEEJA

Get your hands off of me! What are you doing?!

MAGNUS

Keeping you out of trouble while I do my job.

Panel 5:

Scene: Magnus tosses Leeja into the Refuse Container! I’d shoot this from above—that is Leeja is flying sort of toward the camera, and we can see the opening she’s going to fall through, and even some soft garbage inside where she’ll land.

ASIDE: Magnus is probably getting a delightful upskirt view. Reminds me of a Doris Day movie in which she was dangling from the Eiffel Tower with Cary Grant standing right below…. But I digress. : )

The Refuse Container is deep enough so that there’s no way she can climb out.

LEEJA

Yaaaah!

PAGE FIFTY-NINE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Pull back reset as Magnus is running back toward the Rotunda. Show the Refuse Container in the distance behind him.

LEEJA
(from the Refuse Container)

YOU SMARMY, SLIMY FALSE-FACER…!

MAGNUS

Say, “Thank you, Magnus.” Then keep quiet.

Panel 2:

Scene: Angle on Leeja sitting on/in the garbage, for the moment resigned to her fate—but seething. Make it clear that climbing out is impossible.

LEEJA

Magnus. His real name is Magnus.

LEEJA

I hate you, Magnus…I hate you, Magnus…I hate you…

Panel 3:

Scene: Reset, re-establish the Rotunda and situation there. ANLST-35 is reporting to
H-8. H-8 is ordering ANLST-35 to go on patrol—which will leave only three Q-Robs here: H-8, eSCI-1 and COMP-12. Plus PWR-1.

CAPTION

The Rotunda.

ANLST-35
(robot balloon)

…Security-Squadron-Nine-does-not-respond, sir.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Take-five-others-with-you. Find-out-what’s-going-on.

Panel 4:

Scene: Senator Clane questions H-8.

SENATOR CLANE

What is it you hope to accomplish, H-8? Occupying the Government District doesn’t give you control of North Am.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Once-I-am-certain-that-the-threat-posed-by-your-Robot-Fighter-is-truly-ended…

Panel 5:

Scene: Pull back. H-8 looks outside, pondering the victory to come. I’d shoot this ¾ down from above and behind him. Show some environs and some cityscape outside, please.
H-8
(robot balloon)

…we-will-take-steps-to-spread-the-nullification-of-your-broadcast-power-to-the-rest-of-the-continent. Then-to-the-rest-of-the-world.

PAGE SIXTY:

Panel 1:

Scene: Focus on H-8.

H-8
(robot balloon)

When-all-of-your-robots-are-lying-inert-on-the-ground, your-kind-will-be-helpless. There-will-be-no-surrender-offer-this-time.

H-8
(robot balloon)

When-we-tire-of-killing-you, the-ones-that-are-left-will-be-forced-into-the-nuclear-wastelands.

Panel 2:

Scene: Angle to show an ATTRACTIVE, 40-ISH CONGRESSWOMAN, fearfully questioning H-8. As H-8 gives the order, COMP-12 is already aiming his weapon at her.

ATTRACTIVE, 40-ISH CONGRESSWOMAN

But, the radiation…! We’ll die there!

H-8
(robot balloon)

COMP-12, ensure-that-she-will-not-suffer-the-horror-of-radiation-poisoning.

Panel 3:

Scene: Magnus leaps down from somewhere above, killing Comp-12 with a single mighty blow.

SFX
(emanating from COMP-12)

KRK-SQEEEEEEeeeeeee

Panel 4:

Scene: Magnus charges eSCI-1 and H-8. eSCI-1 is closer to Magnus, more or less blocking H-8’s shot. And eSCI-1 is a wimp. Probably afraid to shoot.

eSCI-1
(robot balloon)

No-human-is-that-strong! What-is-he?!

H-8
(robot balloon)

Rip-him!

Panel 5:

Scene: Magnus punches through eSCI-1, killing him, and apparently killing H-8. The idea is to make it look, here, as though H-8 is dead, but not make it too much of a shock when it turns out he isn’t. Wound him.

SFX
(emanating from eSCI-1)

GLWK-SQUEEEOOOooo

H-8
(robot balloon)

ARWWGGKK…!

PAGE SIXTY-ONE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Magnus directs/herds all of the Captive Humans toward a door. They’re terrified and eager to obey. All except Senator Clane, who’s reluctant to go because he fears for Leeja.

MAGNUS

Go! Into the interior chambers! Seal the doors! You’ll have to do it manually.

SENATOR CLANE

But…but….

Panel 2:

Scene: Everyone else has obeyed Magnus, but Senator Clane has turned around and is peering from the door back into the Rotunda—perhaps planning to go looking for Leeja.

SENATOR CLANE

Leeja is still out here…!

Panel 3:

Scene: Magnus approaches PWR-1, who looks ready to defend himself.

MAGNUS

If I had a power source everything depended on…

MAGNUS

…I’d hide it inside you.

Panel 4:

Scene: PWR-1 takes a clumsy swing at Magnus. Magnus ducks and lands a powerful blow that actually dents PWR-1’s torso.

(no copy)

Panel 5:

Scene: Magnus lands another incredible body shot to the same area. A big, thick armor plate hatch buckles!

(no copy)

PAGE SIXTY-TWO:

Panel 1:

Scene: PWR-1 is down on the ground on his back! Magnus, standing on his chest is ripping open the hatch and looking inside. What’s inside is an array of FUSION POWER CELLS plus POWER BROADCASTING EQUIPMENT. PWR-1 is nothing more than a portable Power Plant.

MAGNUS

Let’s see….

Panel 2:

Scene: With the Hatch all the way removed, Magnus sees what he’d hoped to find. The BROADCAST POWER UNIT. I’d make it look like a TRANSMITTING DISH. But whatever.

MAGNUS

There…!

Panel 3:

Scene: Pull back and swing around to reveal that H-8 is at the smashed-out window, dangling Senator Clane out the window. I see him holding Senator Clane easily with one hand, arm extended straight out. Magnus reacts. Remember, H-8 is severely damaged, but obviously still functional.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Very-astute, whoever, whatever-you-are.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Smash-our-Alternate-Power-Transmission-equipment-and-all-Q-Rob-rebels-in-this-district-will-collapse, randomize-and-die.

Panel 4:

Scene: Magnus charges toward H-8!

H-8
(robot balloon)

However, when-I-collapse, Senator-Clane-will-fall-precisely-one-mile. I-don’t-expect-this-to-change-your-mind. I-just-want-to-take-a-meat-body-with-me.

MAGNUS

Let him go!

Panel 5:

Scene: H-8 drops Senator Clane and like a matador avoiding a charging bull, gets just enough out of Magnus’s path. Magnus is more worried about saving Senator Clane anyway—he’s breezing right past H-8 heading out the window after Senator Clane.

H-8
(robot balloon)

You-actually-said, “Let-him-go!” I-can’t-believe-you-said-that.

MAGNUS

No!

PAGE SIXTY-THREE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Magnus’s leap allows him to catch the hem of Senator Clane’s cloak as they’re both beginning their plunge. Magnus looks like he means to reel Senator Clane in by the cloak.

(no copy)

Panel 2:

Scene: Magnus has reeled in Senator Clane enough so he can grab him. It looks as though he’s going to grasp him around the chest. They’ve only fallen a few stories.

(no copy)

Panel 3:

Scene: Holding Senator Clane with one arm around his chest, Magnus grabs a flagpole, ledge or something with his free hand—whatever you can make work best. It’s a strain, but he can do it. There should be a window handy.

(no copy)

Panel 4:

Scene: In the Rotunda, H-8 is poking around inside PWR-1, grimly concerned. LAW-164 is arriving back from his fruitless pursuit of Leeja.

LAW-164
(robot balloon)

H-8! What-happened?

H-8
(robot balloon)

PWR-1-took-serious-damage. He’s-failing. Tell-all-Q-Robs-to-stand-by-for-cessation-of-alternate-power-transmission-and-resumption-of-normal-broadcast-power. On-my-mark….

Panel 5:

Scene: Two-shot, LAW-164 and H-8. LAW-164 is fearful. H-8 is angry.

LAW-164
(robot balloon)

But-there-are-millions-of-Riot-Robs-at-the-perimeter-of-the-Sector-that-will-attack-us-as-soon-as-power-is-restored.

H-8
(robot balloon)

Shut-up! Tell-our-kind-to-flee, to-hide. Do-you-understand?!

Panel 6:

Scene: LAW-164 transmits the orders. H-8 is switching off something inside PWR-1.

LAW-164
(robot balloon)

Yes, yes, doing-it…it’s-done!

H-8
(robot balloon)

Mark!

H-8
(robot balloon)

Now-let’s-get-out-of-here.

PAGE SIXTY-FOUR:

Panel 1:

Scene: Magnus, who probably came in through the window—doesn’t matter—kills LAW-164.

SFX
(emanating from LAW-164)

SQUEEEEEEeee

Panel 2:

Scene: Magnus slugs H-8, who sustains even more damage, but ain’t dead yet. He goes down.

H-8
(robot balloon)

CHRRKK-trrrrrrrr….

Panel 3:

Scene: This is a scene reminiscent of 1-A’s confrontation in the first pages of this mighty tome. Magnus stands over fallen H-8.

H-8
(robot balloon)

You-must-be-a-robot. And-yet, you-kill-us.

MAGNUS

I’m human. You brought it to this. It could have been different.

MAGNUS (2nd)

Tell your followers to stay hidden for a while. If they’re willing to live in peace, I’ll help them. I’ll protect them.

Panel 4:

Scene: H-8 lunges, clawing at Magnus, a last, suicidal attack.

H-8
(robot balloon)

You-are-a-monster.

PAGE SIXTY-FIVE:

Panel 1:

Scene: Magnus kills H-8. No doubt this time. I’d suggest a 2/3 page panel.

SFX
(emanating from H-8)

KRWK-SQUEEEEEeee

Panel 2:

Scene: Tableau. Long medium on Magnus standing over the corpse of H-8. Show fallen HKG-997/Battle Armor, the dead Q-Robs, the dead humans, the damage. It’s over. Magnus is still standing. Exhausted, but standing.

(no copy)

PAGE SIXTY-SIX:

Panel 1:

Scene: Magnus kneels or squats beside HKG-997/Battle Armor, who is sitting up. He has the headgear retracted so we can see it’s not 1-A. Remember, they’re different colors.

MAGNUS

How are you, HKG-997?

HKG-997
(robot balloon)

Rebooting….

HKG-997
(robot balloon)

Operational. Fine, sir. Did-I-perform-acceptably?

MAGNUS

You did great. Go home now.

Panel 2:

Scene: Somewhere on the Lower Levels (not all the way to the Goph Lands), two Q-Robs, SCLPT-67 and JK-0 skulk along, trying to escape. JK-0, by the way, is JOCKO, same Q-Rob who appears in the Free Comic Book Day story. Establishing shot, please, show the environs.

CAPTION

2:00 PM.

SCLPT-67
(robot balloon)

I-cannot-believe-H-8…is dead.

Panel 3:

Scene: Focus in, two-shot. Jocko says prophetic words…because someday he will take H-8’s place.

JK-0
(robot balloon)

Another-will-arise-to-take-his-place.

Panel 4:

Scene: A Conference Chamber. All the surviving Captive Humans are here. Senator Clane is seated, looking disheveled and worse for the wear. He’s also worried sick about Leeja. On of the others is comforting him, hand on his shoulder. PRESIDENT CLAIBURNE has just entered, is standing by the door and announcing the news: all clear. COLONEL KELLERMAN is trying to reassure Senator Clane.

CAPTION

2:03 PM. A Conference Chamber in the Capitol.

PRESIDENT CLAIBURNE

It’s over. Is everyone all right?

SENATOR CLANE

Yes…but, my daughter, Leeja, is still missing.

COLONEL KELLERMAN

We have search parties looking for her.

Panel 5:

Scene: The Maintenance/Garage Level, in particular, the Refuse Container. Magnus is reaching down from the opening, ready to pull Leeja up. Leeja, sitting in the garbage is looking up at Magnus with hatred in her eyes.

CAPTION

2:10 PM. Maintenance and Garage-Lev 28.

MAGNUS

All clear.

LEEJA

I hate you, Magnus.

PAGE SIXTY-SEVEN:

Panel 1:

Scene: Magnus lowers Leeja to the ground outside the Refuse Container. She’s still seething. And, she’s a mess. Probably smells bad, too.

MAGNUS

There. You okay?

LEEJA

Never in my life have I been dumped. Literally or figuratively. I hate you, Magnus.

Panel 2:

Scene: Magnus walks away, leaving Leeja by the Refuse Container.

MAGNUS

I’ll call you, okay?

LEEJA

Okay.

Panel 3:

Scene: Close up of Leeja, but arrange to show a search party approaching, background. Leeja can’t believe she said okay. It slipped. It was involuntary. An accident. She could be doing the thump-forehead-with-heel-of-hand gesture.

LEEJA

I said okay? Okay?!

MAINT-45
(robot balloon)

There-she-is.

Panel 4:

Scene: Establishing shot, small figures. The Living Room in 1-A’s Undersea Base. 1-A and Magnus talk.

CAPTION

4:30 PM. 1-A’s Undersea Base.

MAGNUS

…so, I could have put an end to all of them. But….

1-A
(robot balloon)

But, you-chose-to-save-the-Senator-instead. Good-boy.

1-A (2nd)
(robot balloon)

I think today qualifies as your final exam. From now on, I stay home and play with Tomato, and you are now…

Panel 5:

Scene: Two-shot. 1-A has his hand on Magnus’s shoulder. He’s so proud.

1-A
(robot balloon)

…Magnus, Robot Fighter.

FIN

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

there's more coming in time... maybe even the shooter vei stuff...
for now this is really good....67 pages.. would've been a great book

In posting it to the forum it is missing all the reference photos that are intermixed throughout the script..

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

valiantdude wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59:59 pm would've been a great book
Agree. Thanks for posting. Strong story that gives lots of background to Magnus. Very well crafted. Lots of nice cross-references. Liked that he referenced Gail Sanders. Also that he used the name Victor Clane, which was intended by Gold Key but never published.

/Magnus

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Alright, noise and funk delivered. Like the great blues musician Hugh Laurie.

That was a long read but worth it.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Yeah the bummer is, when I post to the forum all the formatting, bold type for emphasis, etc.. is lost, plus the script has like 50 photos in it

JCP

Post by JCP »

No worries valiantdude, it’s still worth it. Thanks for posting!

Sunlight on Snow

valiantdude wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:33:52 pm Yeah the bummer is, when I post to the forum all the formatting, bold type for emphasis, etc.. is lost, plus the script has like 50 photos in it
How about turning your source file into a PDF document?!? You can share it via Google or Dropbox, for instance.

Or you could PM your source to Greg and he'll link it properly.

Regardless of what the CE stands for, this isn't 4000 CE yet but it isn't the Stone Age either.

Sunlight on Snow

Oh, but I don't want to sound ungrateful....

Thanks for posting!

:thumb: