X-O Manowar 58 sells for $450

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
X-O Manowar 58 sells for $450

Post by magnus20009 »

What gives. A CGC copy of X-O manowar just sold for $450

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-O-Manowar-58 ... _cvip=true

The other X-O issues around it sold for $70-125. It don’t think this issue is any rarer than the others (and plenty of VH1 books have Low census numbers - since most people don’t bother slabbing them. What gives. What am I missing?

labratnotincluded
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Re: X-O Manowar 58 sells for $450

Post by labratnotincluded »

Supply and demand? Did you get a bid in?

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

labratnotincluded wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:18:00 pm Supply and demand? Did you get a bid in?
Nope. It sold for about 5x my snipe.

I lost the issue around it that went for $69.xx as my snipe was $1 below it.

Looks like it was just two guys going after it. I guess they both needed it for their run and put in crazy snipes. Expect to see a bunch of people rush to grade this book and see future copies go for $75.

labratnotincluded
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by labratnotincluded »

Yeah, probably right on that. I dunno, I've tried offering decent cash for 38, 45, 54, 58 and/or 59 but nobody has any 'potential' copies and nobody wants to part with their 9.8s. When the crazy people get their issues, those that didn't want to part with theirs will probably look back and see the deflated prices they go for after the fact and maybe second guess that extra $$ they could've made now and snatched up one of those cheap copies later on. :?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

This is happening more in COvid I feel. I just won’t do this for common issues. There are some I’d like to have on eBay that have a BIN price of $125. I just can’t do it. I’ll wait. I’ve managed to get most for far cheaper, if not from direct submission. COVID has slowed my submissions as I can’t get raw copies in the wild, so I’m still hunting for a few.

I do have this one. I saw a few at auction yesterday I needed. I passed on those too. A couple of others want them more than me.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

nycjadie wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:23:54 am This is happening more in COvid I feel. I just won’t do this for common issues. There are some I’d like to have on eBay that have a BIN price of $125. I just can’t do it. I’ll wait. I’ve managed to get most for far cheaper, if not from direct submission. COVID has slowed my submissions as I can’t get raw copies in the wild, so I’m still hunting for a few.

I do have this one. I saw a few at auction yesterday I needed. I passed on those too. A couple of others want them more than me.
I lost out on all the issues X-O Manowar issues I needed that he was offering as my max snipe was $68 per issue. Normally around that price (or way less) I can get the WH1 issues I need. I'm not of the belief that any normal VH1 book is that rare in high grade - more that people do not bother to grade them.

I also think that this is a Covid thing too and when the world returns more to normal and people are spending money on sports tickets, eating out, drinking, traveling, etc that a bunch of the money that has been focused on hobbies will disappear.

I look at myself and I have probably spent more money on hobbies in the past 12 month that I ever have. Between a couple months working from home, slowness of business even when in the office and the fact that while in a normal year I am taking trips 20 times a year and visiting North America, Europe and Asia and I've not been on a plane since late Feb 2020 I just have more time on my hands, and somehow eBay and facebook groups suck some of it up.

Hotwire
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Hotwire »

This is not surprising to me at all. Those of you who live on *SQUEE* Island sometimes just want to be close to a real man.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Hotwire wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:50:34 pm This is not surprising to me at all. Those of you who live on *SQUEE* Island sometimes just want to be close to a real man.
Are you close to a real man?

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

Wow, that's amazing. Glad I got this issue at a reasonable price.

db

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

magnus20009 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:13:07 pm The other X-O issues around it sold for $70-125. It don’t think this issue is any rarer than the others (and plenty of VH1 books have Low census numbers - since most people don’t bother slabbing them. What gives. What am I missing?
At first I thought maybe the "Newsstand Edition" above the barcode but it's just the Direct Market edition.

Almost $450 for this seems crazy!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:06:11 pm
Hotwire wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:50:34 pm This is not surprising to me at all. Those of you who live on *SQUEE* Island sometimes just want to be close to a real man.
Some nights closer than others. :wink:

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

magnus20009 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:42:20 am
nycjadie wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:23:54 am This is happening more in COvid I feel. I just won’t do this for common issues. There are some I’d like to have on eBay that have a BIN price of $125. I just can’t do it. I’ll wait. I’ve managed to get most for far cheaper, if not from direct submission. COVID has slowed my submissions as I can’t get raw copies in the wild, so I’m still hunting for a few.

I lost out on all the issues X-O Manowar issues I needed that he was offering as my max snipe was $68 per issue. Normally around that price (or way less) I can get the WH1 issues I need. I'm not of the belief that any normal VH1 book is that rare in high grade - more that people do not bother to grade them.

I also think that this is a Covid thing too and when the world returns more to normal and people are spending money on sports tickets, eating out, drinking, traveling, etc that a bunch of the money that has been focused on hobbies will disappear.

I look at myself and I have probably spent more money on hobbies in the past 12 month that I ever have. Between a couple months working from home, slowness of business even when in the office and the fact that while in a normal year I am taking trips 20 times a year and visiting North America, Europe and Asia and I've not been on a plane since late Feb 2020 I just have more time on my hands, and somehow eBay and facebook groups suck some of it up.
I think that's right. Ironically, I spent a good amount in the very first few weeks of the pandemic as I was collecting Bloodshot movie stuff. After that? The smallest amount in a decade at least. Why? There were very few interesting items up for sale. The LCS that sells back issues told me the same thing. They are desperate for collections. Nothing is coming in. I thought the opposite would happen, as did the owner. However, people are instead enjoying and doubling down on those collections.

What did I spend my money on? Well, some renovations, but really? BBQ equipment. Kamado ovens, thermometers, etc. I spent the year cooking and have the gut to show for it. And I feel like I have perfected oven roasted and BBQ chickens perfectly!

Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:08:07 amSome nights closer than others. :wink:
Lots of things went down on the inside. I have no regrets.

Shouldn't you be out shooting prairie dogs or something?

Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Interesting comment from Mr. Ballsak Jerkodic.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Hotwire wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:42:48 pm

Much like your mother, it is too windy today.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17:04 pm
magnus20009 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:42:20 am

I think that's right. Ironically, I spent a good amount in the very first few weeks of the pandemic as I was collecting Bloodshot movie stuff. After that? The smallest amount in a decade at least. Why? There were very few interesting items up for sale. The LCS that sells back issues told me the same thing. They are desperate for collections. Nothing is coming in. I thought the opposite would happen, as did the owner. However, people are instead enjoying and doubling down on those collections.

What did I spend my money on? Well, some renovations, but really? BBQ equipment. Kamado ovens, thermometers, etc. I spent the year cooking and have the gut to show for it. And I feel like I have perfected oven roasted and BBQ chickens perfectly!
I have heard similar laments from pawn shops and sellers of used firearms. People just aren’t selling their old stuff. I am also the treasurer for my church and the number of people asking for money has gone down since before the COVID lockdowns. Odd behavior for a recession.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I am sorry, Hotwire. I am better than that and I expect better than that from myself.
Hotwire wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:42:48 pm

The wind today, much like your mother, won’t stop blowing.

There, that is better.

Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Chiclo wrote:I am sorry, Hotwire. I am better than that and I expect better than that from myself.
So you’re good at masturbation? Hey, I like John Wayne movies, too.

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Hotwire wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:44:35 pm
Interesting comment from Mr. Ballsak Jerkodic.
Doctor Jerkodic. I have degrees in both psychology and para-psychology.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Hotwire wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:18:02 pm
Chiclo wrote:I am sorry, Hotwire. I am better than that and I expect better than that from myself.
So you’re good at masturbation? Hey, I like John Wayne movies, too.
Why can’t I stay mad at you?

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17:04 pm Ironically, I spent a good amount in the very first few weeks of the pandemic as I was collecting Bloodshot movie stuff.
I'm still looking for one of those Regal (Reward) Exclusive Variant Cover of Bloodshot #7....but there's nothing!

There was a (1) copy on eBay a year ago. It wasn't even expensive but the auction had already ended.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

In other interesting non-variant slab news, a copy of Magic the Gathering Shadow Mage #1 sold for $350.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

kjjohanson wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:07:09 pm In other interesting non-variant slab news, a copy of Magic the Gathering Shadow Mage #1 sold for $350.
What! Wow! This COVID-fueled collectible phenomenon is super interesting. It seems bubble-ish, but time will tell.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I actually managed to find $100,000 to put into cryptocurrency over the past 12 months.

Still buying the slabs and OA required for my own PC; however, at a reduced rate of frequency and speed. Need to send a batch to CGC soon to hopefully fill a few 9.8 holes.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

Any tips on crypto currency purchasing? I’m ready to take the plunge. I’m being told Ethereum is the way to go. Would love to hear your perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk