Bad Idea rubbing people wrong?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Re: Bad Idea rubbing people wrong?

Post by whovian »

It sounds like the books are falling into the hands of the wrong people which is the opposite of what was intended. When "fans" camp outside of a shop so they can be the sole person to get a gold pin and then turn around to sell the pin on eBay are they really a fan? Hell no!

Honestly, I have seen absolutely nothing about Bad Idea's books that makes me want to read any of them, regardless of how they're marketed or sold. They just look and sound like bad books.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

whovian wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:57:08 am It sounds like the books are falling into the hands of the wrong people which is the opposite of what was intended. When "fans" camp outside of a shop so they can be the sole person to get a gold pin and then turn around to sell the pin on eBay are they really a fan? Hell no!

Honestly, I have seen absolutely nothing about Bad Idea's books that makes me want to read any of them, regardless of how they're marketed or sold. They just look and sound like bad books.
Your loss buddy. The art and story were really well done and refreshing, especially compared to the other drivel for sale out there.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

whovian wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:57:08 am It sounds like the books are falling into the hands of the wrong people which is the opposite of what was intended. When "fans" camp outside of a shop so they can be the sole person to get a gold pin and then turn around to sell the pin on eBay are they really a fan? Hell no!

It's a small percent of Collectors who have sold this pin. Does it mean they are not really a fan? I don't know.

I stood in line for 5 hours and got one. I'm not ever going to sell it.

They have marketed the books and titles perfectly IMO because everyone has been talking about it.

Mission accomplished. ANYONE paying more than $4 for the "Not first Print" is just uneducated and NOT paying attention

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

I also stood in line and got the pin. It doesn’t strike me as something that will hold its value as time goes on.
I’ll never sell mine. :cloud9:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I'd love a pin, but in the meantime, Eniac was fantastic. I picked it up yesterday. It's a keeper for sure. Story and art are top notch, and on track to be better than any Valiant title I have read.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

I agree that Bad Idea is rubbing some people the wrong way. I think they misunderstand what Dinesh and co are trying to do. The rules are in place for a reason. This is all covered on our podcast/YouTube episode today so I am not going to type it out here. The bottom line is the book is fantastic and the other stuff is not what SOME others are claiming it is.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

SwiftMann wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:48:56 am I wouldn't say rubbing me the wrong way, but I did become grossly indifferent very quickly. It's hard enough to get most comic shop owners to make sure your non-exclusive publisher stuff shows up. I don't have the energy or desire to jump through additional hoops to figure out whatever BadIdea's distribution is supposed to be. Add to that the hoops shops now jump through just to get DC on the shelf and I can't imagine most care to add this to the mix anytime soon.

This is an intentional attempt at building a small, vocal following that mimics the trend of organic "underground" comic popularity and growth. Hopefully it's covering costs and making them some money, but outside of this forum and a few select creator spaces, I think there is ZERO awareness of BadIdea. And I don't understand their path to growth. Unless they are making enough with what they are doing and don't care. But neither do I.
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11:39 am
caxiotis wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:25:59 am BTW - the cover of the Eniac book looks sweet.
Lewis Larosa's killing it again!!! :thumb:

And that Tankers cover......

The triceratops eye is not where the horn is, its set back furthure away from the nose.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

buff-beardo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:02:25 pm Bad Idea has rubbed me wrong from the get go. I pressed their button like a fool for a couple days. Watched the hero trade nonsense emerge. Is hero trade a bad idea comic or not? Now we have the Eniac eBay nonsense. “Nonsense!” is a good company name. 👍. They just aren’t for me, hence their motto.
Having said that, I do appreciate everything Dinesh has done and continues to do to promote the comic medium. His passion is undeniable.
Eniac 1 was amazing though. thats all say to people now. the rest doesn't matter in my view

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:48:17 pm
buff-beardo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:02:25 pm Bad Idea has rubbed me wrong from the get go. I pressed their button like a fool for a couple days. Watched the hero trade nonsense emerge. Is hero trade a bad idea comic or not? Now we have the Eniac eBay nonsense. “Nonsense!” is a good company name. 👍. They just aren’t for me, hence their motto.
Having said that, I do appreciate everything Dinesh has done and continues to do to promote the comic medium. His passion is undeniable.
Eniac 1 was amazing though. thats all say to people now. the rest doesn't matter in my view
Same. I guess I got lucky that my LCS was competent, and maybe this is a little selfish, but now that I actually have the issue in my hands, I can't say I care about anything else besides reading rest of ENIAC, and every other Bad Idea issue. I'm sorry that some people are having issues with various aspects of Bad Idea, but I got my copy, and it wasn't even difficult. I'm so stoked for the first week of April.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56:57 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:48:17 pm
Same. I guess I got lucky that my LCS was competent, and maybe this is a little selfish, but now that I actually have the issue in my hands, I can't say I care about anything else besides reading rest of ENIAC, and every other Bad Idea issue. I'm sorry that some people are having issues with various aspects of Bad Idea, but I got my copy, and it wasn't even difficult. I'm so stoked for the first week of April.
Same here. I'm willing to forget and ignore certain marketing stunts as long as the end result is satisfying.

The stories are being written and illustrated by some of our favorite creative minds.
Quality stories by quality creative teams.

My initial problem was not having a partner store around in Germany. This has been solved so that's alright now.

However, my patience has been put on test again now. I've just received an email from the store telling me that since they are considered to be a SECOND WAVE store they couldn't even place their orders yet and they are now allowed to order a maximum of 5 copies of ENIAC #1 FIRST PRINTING and those copies won't be delivered before MAY; then alongside the other MAY orders. They don't know whether or not they will receive their APR orders in APR though. Anyhow, I already told them to put everything in my box and just wait until MAY. It really doesn't matter anymore at this point. It's just very unfortunate.

Anyhow, they also told me that as long as they will be getting those 5 copies I will be getting 1 of them. :hope:

Of course, I already ordered a NON-FIRST PRINTING just in case. :lol:

Keeping in mind that per #BadIdea Rule #6, the retailers ORDER for ENIAC #1 is supposed to be the minimum ORDER for subsequent issues of ENIAC, it looks like there will be way more FIRST PRINTINGs of ENIAC #2-4 than ENIAC #1.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

8.25 per book is what I'm paying per issue.
I am Canadian can any one else chime in and lmk what they are being gouged?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

So I orderd tankers whats to stop the store from holding my books for three or four months to save up for one shipping whats to stop the shop from swapping all my first prints for not first prints even though I ordered early and selling them on ebay.

Sunlight on Snow

nonplayer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:02:44 am 8.25 per book is what I'm paying per issue.
I am Canadian can any one else chime in and lmk what they are being gouged?
At first they wanted to charge about 5 EUROs but that was before they knew about dem "rules".

Now it's EUR 3.99 and that's very common here. The US cover price in EUROs. Of course, that's a slightly higher value but shipping costs to Europe are higher than withing NA.

My actual LCS is charging their regular customers 90% of the cover price in EUROs and sometimes less than 90% for expensive hardcovers but 100% for action figures bc they usually have higher shipping costs than comics. Not sure how they will handle this in 2021 because of the ongoing pandemic and lockdowns? I'd be fine with paying 100%.

Sunlight on Snow

nonplayer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06:17 am So I orderd tankers whats to stop the store from holding my books for three or four months to save up for one shipping whats to stop the shop from swapping all my first prints for not first prints even though I ordered early and selling them on ebay.
Theoretically, whatever #BadIdea rule that says they shouldn't do that.

I'm paying for P&P when the total is below whatever amount but it's not much, so it's up to me how often they'll ship to me.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

24.75 ÷ 3 = 8.25 switch it to american is 6.51 so I'm being over charged. Is there a way to report the shop to Dinesh?

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:31:52 am I also stood in line and got the pin. It doesn’t strike me as something that will hold its value as time goes on.
I’ll never sell mine. :cloud9:
Sell it....sell it :kidaround:
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

nycjadie wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:37:55 am I'd love a pin, but in the meantime, Eniac was fantastic. I picked it up yesterday. It's a keeper for sure. Story and art are top notch, and on track to be better than any Valiant title I have read.

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

betterthanezra wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:21:40 am

It's a small percent of Collectors who have sold this pin. Does it mean they are not really a fan? I don't know.

They have marketed the books and titles perfectly IMO because everyone has been talking about it.

Mission accomplished. ANYONE paying more than $4 for the "Not first Print" is just uneducated and NOT paying attention

-Brian

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

:rant:
betterthanezra wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:21:40 am

-Brian

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

Selllllllllllllllllll

Blood of Heroes

Are....are you trying to tell us something?

Blood of Heroes

nonplayer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:43:54 pm 24.75 ÷ 3 = 8.25 switch it to american is 6.51 so I'm being over charged. Is there a way to report the shop to Dinesh?
You are paying this price in person and at a Bad Idea store?
Do other comic books (Valiant, Marvel, DC) cost more in canadia than they do in the US?
If you feel you have a legitimate gripe about a store overcharging you, I would email or tweet Bad Idea about it directly.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:46:22 pm
nonplayer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:43:54 pm 24.75 ÷ 3 = 8.25 switch it to american is 6.51 so I'm being over charged. Is there a way to report the shop to Dinesh?
You are paying this price in person and at a Bad Idea store?
Do other comic books (Valiant, Marvel, DC) cost more in canadia than they do in the US?
If you feel you have a legitimate gripe about a store overcharging you, I would email or tweet Bad Idea about it directly.
Sounds like you’re talking about the Tankers 3-issue series. nonplayer may not have realized the US cover price on those issues is $5.99 each as they’re all oversized issues. Your math is close to that but may be affected by fluctuations in exchange rate...even still, $8.25 Canadian each doesn’t sound too far off.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Personally I’m not a fan of the marketing plans from the guys so far.

I’m very interested in some of the titles due to their premises & creative teams, and my own goodwill toward Dino & Co. - but it was a close call to manage to land a 1st print copy of Eniac #1 from my local store (and it was almost a miracle that my local shop got to carry the books at all). I wanted to get a first print in particular to help support these guys as a fan right from the start. It shouldn’t have been that difficult to do so.

It seems to me like they’ve engineered a false sense of scarcity to generate some media buzz over them. You can consider that smart marketing and you’d probably be right, but it doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t plan on being a social media soldier/supporter for them at this point because of all that, but I will gladly support any & all of their comics that are quality titles that appeal to me regardless of who is publishing them.

For example, I am quite excited about reading Eniac, Megalith, The Lot, and anything that Dysart will be writing - but I’m not interested in Whalesville, Tankers, or any of the silly looking comedy books. I won’t be blind-buying everything they put out this time around.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;