Bad Idea rubbing people wrong?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nwoslave
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

So i have seen a number of comments on the CGC boards and there is a very small thread on there about Bad Idea and their mArKet MAniPUlatioNS by limiting the number of books they are releasing to the public, seems Bad Idea is upsetting some people.

anyone else seen this animosity and what could be causing it?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Bad Idea rubbing people wrong?

Post by IMJ »

I think there's probably a large feeling of inner-circle elitism or something like that. Combine that with strong FOMO and you've got anger. Not that it's justified or anything, but you asked for a reason and I always go to the human behavior side first.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I agree with IMJ - but I have to think that Bad Idea may be purposefully trying to live up to its name.

With Valiant, Dinesh did just about everything right and ten years after monthly comics started he's no longer with the company and the monthly Valiant comics have slowed to a trickle.

If doing just about everything right doesn't create a permanent success, and if everyone says it's a bad idea to try again from scratch, it seems like the old saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity" might actually be something to embrace.

If you can't please all of the people all of the time, perhaps the people you can't please will be loud enough to turn the heads of those who otherwise would have never even seen you. That would be a bad idea, right?

There's even a wiki article about how it was done 150 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succ%C3%A8s_de_scandale

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

They underestimated how many people would be interested in this first print run of ENIAC and said it's going to be corrected for future books. It was too far in progress to change, from what Dinesh told me on stream. It's FOMO I think but they'll make up for it. Heck, just the quality of stories these people do every time is going to be amazing. Matt Kindt could poop on paper and I'd probably buy it cuz I know it'd have some deeper meaning and some cool like streak effect which creates some new form of storytelling, just cuz he did it.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

otomo wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:40:26 pm They underestimated how many people would be interested in this first print run of ENIAC and said it's going to be corrected for future books. It was too far in progress to change, from what Dinesh told me on stream. It's FOMO I think but they'll make up for it. Heck, just the quality of stories these people do every time is going to be amazing. Matt Kindt could poop on paper and I'd probably buy it cuz I know it'd have some deeper meaning and some cool like streak effect which creates some new form of storytelling, just cuz he did it.
Uhhhhh....
The concept of saying that someone "underestimated demand" when upfront you've created an environment of exclusivity by only selling in limited numbers to very select vendors does not rationalize correctly. The two assertions do not go together. The concepts are not alike. You do not say that you underestimated demand when your thesis was to disregard demand for exclusivity at the outset.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I can’t wait to read the books from my favorite creators. And if they have some collectibility, then all the better.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

nycjadie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26:03 pm I can’t wait to read the books from my favorite creators. And if they have some collectibility, then all the better.
This.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

The Facebook group is constantly whining too.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

JCP wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38:29 pm
nycjadie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26:03 pm I can’t wait to read the books from my favorite creators. And if they have some collectibility, then all the better.
This.
Yep

michalward
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by michalward »

I've had no issues at all with any move Bad Idea has made. I'll get my hands on a copy, whether it be a first print or a not first print. I'm excited about the stories, I'm excited about the art, and that's so refreshing.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I think the O.P. asked about what could be causing whatever negativity he is seeing - not about whether or not we agree with it. What's up with the low-level, knee-jerk virtue signaling responses? :lol: It's completely out of context with the actual direction of an otherwise harmless conversation.

You guys vying for free comic books or something? :lol: What is this, what the hell is going on here? :lol: How do I get in on it? :high-five:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Side note: When I used to set a high score on some arcade game that let you put in 20 characters I used to write “Spiro Agnew is a —-.”

I believe he is the same guy who used to refer to reporters as “nattering nabobs of negativism.” He would have flipped his lid over FB comment sections.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

A bit surprised that word got past the Squee Machine ... had to edit, oh my.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

How, exactly, is buying bad idea books exclusive to some people and not others? Aren’t at least some of the stores that carry the books offering to ship them to anyone and everyone that orders (ordered?) one? In this day and age where people buy EVERYTHING online, what is the big deal with comic books?
The closest bad idea store is about 45 minutes from me. If I didn’t have that I’d be ordering the books from Ed.

I tend to think that the people that are complaining just like to complain.

nwoslave
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nwoslave »

otomo wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:40:26 pm They underestimated how many people would be interested in this first print run of ENIAC and said it's going to be corrected for future books. It was too far in progress to change, from what Dinesh told me on stream. It's FOMO I think but they'll make up for it. Heck, just the quality of stories these people do every time is going to be amazing. Matt Kindt could poop on paper and I'd probably buy it cuz I know it'd have some deeper meaning and some cool like streak effect which creates some new form of storytelling, just cuz he did it.
im not so sure its underestimating demand. maybe its reducing risk by tapping into their Valiant customer base? how many of you love Dinesh because of what he did for Valiant characters and were going to follow him in what ever future comic endeavors? raise your hand if your one of them customers, mine is up.

part of business is reducing risk and i cant be 100% certain but i wonder how many of these stores were Valiant lcs'es. you take care of your friends when they have taken care of you.

this is what i think has them rubbed the wrong way, they are just mad they wont be able to easily order a ton of books and flip them like the scalpers they are. harsh, maybe but lets be honest all the stores were public and they could get them ordered from them so the idea they are mad cause they cant get them dont pass the smell test.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:47:14 am I tend to think that the people that are complaining just like to complain.
According to this VEI is just doing fine these days.

People just really like to complain (for no reason at all).

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

IMJ wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:04:36 pm
Uhhhhh....
The concept of saying that someone "underestimated demand" when upfront you've created an environment of exclusivity by only selling in limited numbers to very select vendors does not rationalize correctly. The two assertions do not go together. The concepts are not alike. You do not say that you underestimated demand when your thesis was to disregard demand for exclusivity at the outset.
Well put IMJ. The forced scarcity nonsense on story content which was driven by Dinesh and company is what caused me to choose stop buying VEI books. I was prepared to give them a blank slate, and quickly decided that wasn't going to work given the forced exclusiveity and scarcity. Making the consumer work harder and pay more in many cases simply due to chosen geography? Ugh, no thanks.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Yeah, whether they intend it or not they are going to be chased by the spec crowd. Either way the comics look about a million times better than what Valiant is doing these days.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I am fine as long as I can read the books digitally. The only people getting rubbed the wrong way are the collectors. Honestly it is a double edged sword because if you are a collector and you have the books, the you are excited to have “your precious” that it is worth serious money. if you don’t have the books then you are frustrated because you can’t find the books for a reasonable price.

BTW - the cover of the Eniac book looks sweet.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. The divide of opinions is really interesting. I’ve ordered the books and can’t wait for great stories and art from top creators. I’m in.

The last time a small publisher made it huge....wouldn’t that be V1 30 years ago? Great books came out in smaller runs. Magnus, Solar, Harby. Stories were top notch. Characters were interesting. The art was different...but still engaging. Then the interest really took hold and collectors inability to find books drove the market up on the books. With the visibility and great product, Valiant became a legit #3 for the masses.

I feel like Dinesh and team are trying a variety of new and fun approaches to be relevant...only through the lens of today’s market and industry. Gone are the print runs of the 90s, so that can never come to pass. The comic book market is now about IP and beautiful variant cover art commanding ridiculous prices from collectors. They have a plan. Amazing books (tbd), drive interest (collector speculation is a must to survive), develop strong IP....then?

We’ll see where it goes. Could be like a VEI...2-4 strong years without an ability to convert the IP to greater things. However, I think Bad Idea is taking a unique and different approach to try and make it further than VEI did. I’ll support them and hope for their success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

caxiotis wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:25:59 am BTW - the cover of the Eniac book looks sweet.
Lewis Larosa's killing it again!!! :thumb:

And that Tankers cover......

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

I wouldn't say rubbing me the wrong way, but I did become grossly indifferent very quickly. It's hard enough to get most comic shop owners to make sure your non-exclusive publisher stuff shows up. I don't have the energy or desire to jump through additional hoops to figure out whatever BadIdea's distribution is supposed to be. Add to that the hoops shops now jump through just to get DC on the shelf and I can't imagine most care to add this to the mix anytime soon.

This is an intentional attempt at building a small, vocal following that mimics the trend of organic "underground" comic popularity and growth. Hopefully it's covering costs and making them some money, but outside of this forum and a few select creator spaces, I think there is ZERO awareness of BadIdea. And I don't understand their path to growth. Unless they are making enough with what they are doing and don't care. But neither do I.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I just got confirmation that Eniac one is on its way in the mail to me!

aj583
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

I just checked and so did I. Now will it be a first or not first print? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buff-beardo
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

Bad Idea has rubbed me wrong from the get go. I pressed their button like a fool for a couple days. Watched the hero trade nonsense emerge. Is hero trade a bad idea comic or not? Now we have the Eniac eBay nonsense. “Nonsense!” is a good company name. 👍. They just aren’t for me, hence their motto.
Having said that, I do appreciate everything Dinesh has done and continues to do to promote the comic medium. His passion is undeniable.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.