SHADOWMAN RETURNS APRIL 2021

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: SHADOWMAN RETURNS APRIL 2021

Post by IMJ »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:30:03 pm The point as editor (and now senior editor) is she *chooses* writers who share her politics. This stuff has been said many times before on this board if you care to research.
It's been said for years that to some extent politics have always been part of comics. Which I believe is true. But I think there have been two distinct points to this that have provided a different pattern in recent years.

1st, the rise of the twitter cesspool has given a voice to the personalities who are compelled to broadcast their "outrage" (right or wrong it doesn't matter), and encouraged that kind of thinker through it's limited character count. Twitter literally is a platform designed to solicit knee-jerk reactions to the world - a necessary tool of life for liberal "feelers" and immature kids.

2nd, politics in comics used to be representative of the general zeitgeist but not defined by it. It was a simpler notion too. For example, we would see a story focus on Rhodey as a capable character who helps his buddy Tony out, proving himself a man of integrity who has positive things to offer society in a time where maybe many people might have thought differently. But the current generational braintrust would write Rhodey to shame Stark for some perceived slight, outwit him and then maneuver him into a subservient position while reminding him of some fabricated shaming tool in order to prop Rhodey up as a "POC". It's ridiculous and ironically actually anachronistic in it's own right.

And I don't know what's worse - that this has unfolded in the way that it has, or that they (that cohort) believe that they are the first people to come into society trying to champion equality.

And so I'm entering the terminal point here where I basically don't believe any of these people anymore. I'm still providing explanations like I just did in the paragraph above, but the responses from fools like GammyJosh are simply showing that there are only two conclusions left to be made: that these people are too stupid (or prideful) to see the truth, or that they are liars. They are disingenuous and misguided. Even the slowest person to process the behaviors of others at this point should be able to see this. Don't believe them.

It is important that we modify our ability to judge what these people are doing. Because this is coming to a head even though we want to smooth it over. These people are making lists of Trump supporters as if they were all complicit of some kind of genocidal act. These people are calling people racists at the macro level, and even at a micro level you have guys like the GammyJosh here inventing evidence of Identity-hate about a writer to support his big stand on what he believes are people's thought crimes. Thought. Crimes. Given the size of the country and the national divide I don't think it's a stretch to say that this is the biggest witch hunt in human history.

This has only been allowed to carry on so far because of the tolerance of normally functioning people in society. But be careful because it's going to be different as this enters a terminal point where general society doesn't believe any of these people anymore. They are disingenuous and misguided. Don't believe them. People will have to stop empowering these people, and more importantly stop running away from the indefensible "you hate the other" play. People now need to stand up against it at all cost and trust that your common sense neighbor will stand up for you too. The normally operating part of society that has been quiet and victimized by people like GammyJosh should stop being quiet.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Huh.

I just figured comics were starting to suck because I was getting older. There's just not much coming to life where most of the new writer's work meets me when I read.

I've also made a point to try not to project what I don't like about myself onto others or at least recognize I'm doing it when I fail. But I haven't been connecting that to newer comics stories. What I have noticed is the tendency of the casual reader who knows little of any given universe's context to attribute the actions and the attitudes of the villains to the writers, followed by and over-correction to one political bent or another that becomes a reverse of the old Gold and Silver Age villains slapping the reader in the face with their one-dimensional declarations of being a bad-guy. Now the hero is the one with the monologue and declaration of intent.

Or maybe that's my personal intersect breaking down?
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

IMJ wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:34:35 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:30:03 pm The point as editor (and now senior editor) is she *chooses* writers who share her politics. This stuff has been said many times before on this board if you care to research.
It's been said for years that to some extent politics have always been part of comics. Which I believe is true. But I think there have been two distinct points to this that have provided a different pattern in recent years.

1st, the rise of the twitter cesspool has given a voice to the personalities who are compelled to broadcast their "outrage" (right or wrong it doesn't matter), and encouraged that kind of thinker through it's limited character count. Twitter literally is a platform designed to solicit knee-jerk reactions to the world - a necessary tool of life for liberal "feelers" and immature kids.

2nd, politics in comics used to be representative of the general zeitgeist but not defined by it. It was a simpler notion too. For example, we would see a story focus on Rhodey as a capable character who helps his buddy Tony out, proving himself a man of integrity who has positive things to offer society in a time where maybe many people might have thought differently. But the current generational braintrust would write Rhodey to shame Stark for some perceived slight, outwit him and then maneuver him into a subservient position while reminding him of some fabricated shaming tool in order to prop Rhodey up as a "POC". It's ridiculous and ironically actually anachronistic in it's own right.

And I don't know what's worse - that this has unfolded in the way that it has, or that they (that cohort) believe that they are the first people to come into society trying to champion equality.

And so I'm entering the terminal point here where I basically don't believe any of these people anymore. I'm still providing explanations like I just did in the paragraph above, but the responses from fools like GammyJosh are simply showing that there are only two conclusions left to be made: that these people are too stupid (or prideful) to see the truth, or that they are liars. They are disingenuous and misguided. Even the slowest person to process the behaviors of others at this point should be able to see this. Don't believe them.

It is important that we modify our ability to judge what these people are doing. Because this is coming to a head even though we want to smooth it over. These people are making lists of Trump supporters as if they were all complicit of some kind of genocidal act. These people are calling people racists at the macro level, and even at a micro level you have guys like the GammyJosh here inventing evidence of Identity-hate about a writer to support his big stand on what he believes are people's thought crimes. Thought. Crimes. Given the size of the country and the national divide I don't think it's a stretch to say that this is the biggest witch hunt in human history.

This has only been allowed to carry on so far because of the tolerance of normally functioning people in society. But be careful because it's going to be different as this enters a terminal point where general society doesn't believe any of these people anymore. They are disingenuous and misguided. Don't believe them. People will have to stop empowering these people, and more importantly stop running away from the indefensible "you hate the other" play. People now need to stand up against it at all cost and trust that your common sense neighbor will stand up for you too. The normally operating part of society that has been quiet and victimized by people like GammyJosh should stop being quiet.
Well now I'm definitely putting you on the list. I mean I already listed your house on the BLM real estate site for redistribution, but now I'm calling AOC about you personally.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:11:10 pm
IMJ wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:34:35 pm

Well now I'm definitely putting you on the list. I mean I already listed your house on the BLM real estate site for redistribution, but now I'm calling AOC about you personally.
That’s actually humorous, good to see you can lighten up. But even within your humour you can see the slippery far left slope of the AOC’s of this world and how she’s compiling her ‘lists’.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

You say that as if the far right has never compiled lists.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:25:31 pm You say that as if the far right has never compiled lists.
Alas, poor Tailgunner Joe. He started believing his own press. Beto made the same mistake.

They may decry the evils of McCarthyism, but his initial claims about communists agents and stooges in the State Department were ultimately vindicated, going as high as Truman’s Secretary of State. Ike knew it and acted appropriately. Had he not gotten high on his own BS, Joseph McCarthy would have been remembered as an American hero.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

There's a great Andrew Bird song called Sisyphus. The line that comes to mind is:

"I'd rather fail like a mortal than flail like a God, I'm a lightning rod, history forgets the moderates."

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:44:37 pm
GammaJosh wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:25:31 pm You say that as if the far right has never compiled lists.
Alas, poor Tailgunner Joe. He started believing his own press. Beto made the same mistake.

They may decry the evils of McCarthyism, but his initial claims about communists agents and stooges in the State Department were ultimately vindicated, going as high as Truman’s Secretary of State. Ike knew it and acted appropriately. Had he not gotten high on his own BS, Joseph McCarthy would have been remembered as an American hero.
You're claiming Marshall was a commie stooge? :lol:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

X-O HoboJoe wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:04:46 pm

Dean Acheson.

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:45:43 pm
X-O HoboJoe wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:04:46 pm

Dean Acheson.
So what should we have done about Mao in 1949? :? Korean Conflict always seemed much like a politically-driven proxy-after-the-fact.

Looking at Acheson's picture makes me realize why I confused him with Dean Stockwell.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

"Commie stooge":

"Acheson's most famous decision was convincing President Truman to intervene in the Korean War in June 1950. He also persuaded Truman to dispatch aid and advisors to French forces in Indochina, though in 1968 he finally counseled President Lyndon B. Johnson to negotiate for peace with North Vietnam. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, President John F. Kennedy called upon Acheson for advice, bringing him into the executive committee (ExComm), a strategic advisory group.

In the late 1940s Acheson came under heavy attack for his defense of State Department employees accused during the anti-gay Lavender and Red Scare investigations by Senator Joseph McCarthy and others, and over Truman's policy toward China."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Ache ... 22_attacks

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Acheson was not directly a Soviet agent; he was played for a fool by them, thus being a stooge for the commies, or maybe even a stooge of the commie stooges. Agents like Alger Hiss. Much of this was disclosed in the Venona Papers.

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:01:38 am Acheson was not directly a Soviet agent; he was played for a fool by them, thus being a stooge for the commies, or maybe even a stooge of the commie stooges. Agents like Alger Hiss. Much of this was disclosed in the Venona Papers.
One would think a last name like "Hiss" to be a liability for a spy.