The first BAD IDEA comic: HERO TRADE #1 by Lapham & Kindt out now.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

michalward
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: The first BAD IDEA comic: HERO TRADE #1 by Lapham & Kindt out now.

Post by michalward »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:59:02 pm
It doesn't change the "fact" that $860 is an INSANELY RIDICULOUS value, even for this book.
I've seen comic books sell for twice that amount. Three times even.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

michalward wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13:28 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:59:02 pm
It doesn't change the "fact" that $860 is an INSANELY RIDICULOUS value, even for this book.
I've seen comic books sell for twice that amount. Three times even.
I feel so bad right now! Four real!

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Nameless7 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:28:15 pm
paradise wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:57:23 am Let's get some late facts on this book.

1. It's an ashcan of a story that will be published in Eniac #3. It's not BAD IDEAs first comic book.

2. This was a marketing message incased in a black/white 8 page pamphlet, to get BAD IDEA beyond the "Valiant" base and to the collector market

3. There may be other messages to find other markets, in whatever form they may be. You know who's behind this stuff, it will be out of norm stuff. Stop being "SHOCKED" by this.

4. If you want to pay the market price for this promo item, you can easily find copies on ebay, facebook, or other means (I have a couple you can contact me about). But expecting a promo item for $4 like a regular comic book when there is less than 100 made, even with just the Valiant demand, is an entitled desire which I do not understand. Specially from people who are saying "I just want to read it" because it's been stated, Eniac 3.

5. Expecting stores to forego making a sale, is ridiculous. Yes, I know some have made them into raffle items, some have sold them to customers for $4, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS THE NORM. Each store will weigh the benefit to THEM of doing this and will make their own plans. Please respect their RIGHT to do so. Yes, they got this book in the mail, it was addressed to them, it's THEIRS to do with what they want. There is no rule against anything they want to do with it, it's not "against BAD IDEA rules", it's stores knowing the *SQUEE* situation they are ALL in right now, and deciding they NEED to make this sale. If you don't want to do business with them over this, it's your right but it's a VERY ENTITTLED right. You are making it about you over their item. You feel they have wronged you over something they own and have full rights to do whatever with they wish. Would you like it if someone came to your house and said "I want your refrigerator, for $10 and I will be *SQUEE* off if you don't give it to me".

I may add more to this, if it comes to me.
These are all very valid and excellent points. However the simple fact we are having this discussion means that something has gone wrong - and this kind of thing should probably not be repeated. For example, I know that stores that signed up and were accepted to carry Bad Idea comics received these exclusive signed black and white art prints to use as promotional material - everyone knows these are promotional materials, and I am sure everyone here would love to get their hands on some of these prints, but no one here would have this level of ire if they were unable to acquire said prints. Store owners knew these were not to be sold and were to be used as promotional items etc...

Now I called several stores in neighboring states (Bad Idea approved stores) just in case maybe they would have this item - and I was told a couple of very interesting and telling things. 1) they had the option of ordering as many copies of this item as they pleased but were never told what it was or that it was a Bad Idea item and thus they assumed it was a self published comic and did not order it and 2) that they are now the recipients of a great deal of ANGER and HATE from THEIR customers who had signed up for holds with them for Bad Idea items and might assume (that because this was a solicited item without limitation) that they would have gotten one in their hold - therefore they blame their LCS for not ordering it for them. Lastly 3) and I don't know if this is true, they are not happy with Bad Idea because they have had to spend a great deal of time apologizing to their Bad Idea customers for the last 5 or so days due to this debacle. (at least 2 different stores told me this) One of them didn't even ask me who I was and started apologizing to me almost from a script - probably and employee who assumed I was one of their 'pullbox' customers.

So yes you are correct, this is NOT the end of the world. But it does feel bitter for (apparently) a great deal of people other than myself. And I don't believe this is a result of a sense of entitlement for a promo item. This was after all not a promo item that secretly became a promo item after the fact and that feels like a stab in the back.

Oh well. We will get over it. But I say again, the main reasons I was excited about Bad Idea (at least to me) was 1) the awesome quality of stories and art we are sure to get and 2) the assurance that we will never ever have to go chase special limited print variants (for those of us who want it all - this may not be you but I think it is a valid point).

Cheers everyone.
+1. What he said.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

My lcs is actually a Bad Idea destination store, so I was excited about the chance to get one, but they’ve decided to keep it instead of selling. Although it’s not an official release, it’s still a nice collector item, but I wouldn’t shell out more than a hunnit.

Either way, my lcs will be pulling All Bad Idea books for me, so I’m just looking forward to this sh!t finally getting started! The whole button marketing campaign should hit its mark within a week or so, hopefully. Then we can really start getting info, creators/titles/release dates, etc... :thumb:
#StayValiant

JCP

Post by JCP »

Ashcan or no ashcan, I’ve hit the Button probably a few hundred thousand times.

Looking forward to the Lewis LaRosa book.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Nameless7 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:28:15 pm However the simple fact we are having this discussion means that something has gone wrong - and this kind of thing should probably not be repeated.
I dunno. The fact that we (and others) are having this discussion means that something went exactly as planned.
Now whether it was a good or Bad idea remains to be seen. But the absolute worst thing that could have happened would be if no one was talking about Hero Trade/Bad Idea. That doesn't seem to be the case.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:49:30 pm
Nameless7 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:28:15 pm However the simple fact we are having this discussion means that something has gone wrong - and this kind of thing should probably not be repeated.
I dunno. The fact that we (and others) are having this discussion means that something went exactly as planned.
Now whether it was a good or Bad idea remains to be seen. But the absolute worst thing that could have happened would be if no one was talking about Hero Trade/Bad Idea. That doesn't seem to be the case.
:thumb:

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
The first BAD IDEA comic: HERO TRADE #1 by Lapham & Kindt out now.

Post by AnarchoMambo »

The uproar here is kind of amazing. I just got caught up on 57 posts. That is a lot of discussion on one topic for a sleepy comic chat board, and the awareness raised for the upcoming books is excellent.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the first issue of Eniac. This is going up be so awesome.

Now where is that there Button?

must

Click

now

and

Forever!

Blood of Heroes

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

AnarchoMambo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:21:55 am The uproar here is kind of amazing. I just got caught up on 57 posts. That is a lot of discussion on one topic for a sleepy comic chat board, and the awareness raised for the upcoming books is excellent.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the first issue of Eniac. This is going up be so awesome.

Now where is that there Button?

must

Click

now

and

Forever!
Dinesh is the master of hype! And he backs it up with quality product time and time again :clap:

aj583
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

So much angst.

Bad Idea is getting noticed.
That is good for us who want it to succeed so we can read great stories from kick-*SQUEE* artists.

I am a crazy completionist and find myself spending too much on getting Valiant variants. However, I’m not at all angst ridden about not getting a Hero Trade (and I tried as well). It is no longer the 90s where I can expect to get every original book or cover. I’ve adapted and realized that this is the industry as it stands today as it tries to survive.

So, kudos to the individual that paid $800+. Hope that works out. We want shops to be getting calls and interest. Bad Idea is trying to get noticed, create buzz and attract readers. Folks need to come to terms that it is not the industry from 30 years ago where we can all expect a copy of this new ashcan.

It looks like we have amazing books on the way. That’s what I’m focused on. Let’s give Bad Idea an opportunity to try their new marketing/launch ideas. Let’s support the LCS’ involved, not get on them for not having the Hero Trade for us.

What’s the alternative? You’d prefer for the Mintz gang to wow us with X-O 3 by that Hopeless guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

aj583 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09:03 pm So much angst.

Bad Idea is getting noticed.
That is good for us who want it to succeed so we can read great stories from kick-*SQUEE* artists.

I am a crazy completionist and find myself spending too much on getting Valiant variants. However, I’m not at all angst ridden about not getting a Hero Trade (and I tried as well). It is no longer the 90s where I can expect to get every original book or cover. I’ve adapted and realized that this is the industry as it stands today as it tries to survive.

So, kudos to the individual that paid $800+. Hope that works out. We want shops to be getting calls and interest. Bad Idea is trying to get noticed, create buzz and attract readers. Folks need to come to terms that it is not the industry from 30 years ago where we can all expect a copy of this new ashcan.

It looks like we have amazing books on the way. That’s what I’m focused on. Let’s give Bad Idea an opportunity to try their new marketing/launch ideas. Let’s support the LCS’ involved, not get on them for not having the Hero Trade for us.

What’s the alternative? You’d prefer for the Mintz gang to wow us with X-O 3 by that Hopeless guy?

This is so well said. Gone are the days when there are limited editions of 5000! Hah!

I appreciate that Bad Idea is getting folks into shops, even when they aren't mine. I want them all to survive these crazy times, and DC appears to have thrown in the towel, and Marvel is limping along, and Valiant? While they haven't thrown in the towel, it seems like it's close.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

It does seem like this has not gone exactly as planned.

Getting noticed is great but creating angst and anger in some of the people that would normally be some of the largest evangelizers for the brand and product is not great. Seems like there should be a better way.

I can think of a similar situation about 2 months ago when 200 copies of the hottest book at the time were to be released. The website it was to be sold on kept crashing so the sale was delayed by a couple days. The big day arrived and the books was sold out in less than 5 seconds thanks to bots despite being limited to 2 copies per sale. It turned up immediately on eBay with sales going through at $600 a copy (now 2 months later it is selling for $200)

On the collectors board for the community who had backed the product for years the long term disciples were very angry and upset with what had happened as they all missed out despite trying to get the book. These were some of the biggest backers and apostles out there. The equivalent of Dino was on the boards and said he was given 10-20 copies of the 200 print run. He would be selling these at cost ($3.99) to board members and was specifically reserving some for Board members who have traditionally gone above and beyond what is expected (this would be the equivalent of guys like Greg and CKB).

Seemed like a win-win. Tons of good press from being the hottest item of the month combined with keeping the evangelizers happy (none of whom would flip the book for a quick profit) and they were now extra energized to the beat the drums about the book and felt very thankful for how they were treated.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I’m not judging anyone for what they’ve done with The Hero Trade but I really like and respect what Variant Edition did with theirs and hopes it reaches a lot of people.

https://youtu.be/4qgJ9Ln-2bA

***Support your local farmers!***

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

geocarr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:24:44 am I’m not judging anyone for what they’ve done with The Hero Trade but I really like and respect what Variant Edition did with theirs and hopes it reaches a lot of people.

https://youtu.be/4qgJ9Ln-2bA

Well that is 10 minutes of my life I won’t back.

I seriously do not get millennials. It is their book and they can do what they want with it.

Then again I was in training (virtual) today with the head of HR of a multinational telling all of us that during this global Covid situation while almost all baby boomer and gen X workers in their company care about getting the global economy going they were shocked when 65% of their 1000’s of Gen Y and whatever the term is for the snowflake generation is cared most about their mental health and how they were feeling during the global pandemic then about their job, the company or economy. (Yet somehow they all still expect to get paid).

JCP

Post by JCP »

Home stretch on the Button. Just cleared 900M.

aj583
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

magnus20009 wrote:It does seem like this has not gone exactly as planned.

Getting noticed is great but creating angst and anger in some of the people that would normally be some of the largest evangelizers for the brand and product is not great. Seems like there should be a better way.
That’s the point. It should not create against and anger. Turn that frown upside down...let’s support Bad Idea and give them a shot with their new approach.

I couldn’t get Pearl Jam’s special edition Animal CD when it came out in Seattle in 1994. I had to get the normal CD version. I didn’t boycott Pearl Jam nor did I ask Eddie to give me a copy because it was just not fair.

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I stopped by my LCS and asked about it. Was told that they didn't get any but that they were looking into getting some copies.

My LCS is Midtown Comics by the way.
:hm:

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

aj583 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:29:52 pm

That’s the point. It should not create against and anger. Turn that frown upside down...let’s support Bad Idea and give them a shot with their new approach.

I couldn’t get Pearl Jam’s special edition Animal CD when it came out in Seattle in 1994. I had to get the normal CD version. I didn’t boycott Pearl Jam nor did I ask Eddie to give me a copy because it was just not fair.

:lol:

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

aj583 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:29:52 pm

I didn’t say I was angry. I am not. I did not attempt to get the book and I have not placed an order for Bad Ideas upcoming regular issues yet - although I probably will pick them up at some point.

I was commenting on what I was reading in this thread and commenting on how another company handled a similar situation recently.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

aj583 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:29:52 pm I couldn’t get Pearl Jam’s special edition Animal CD when it came out in Seattle in 1994. I had to get the normal CD version. I didn’t boycott Pearl Jam nor did I ask Eddie to give me a copy because it was just not fair.
I'll bite. What mysterious special edition of "Animal" are you talking about here? :hm:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:35:17 am
aj583 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:29:52 pm I couldn’t get Pearl Jam’s special edition Animal CD when it came out in Seattle in 1994. I had to get the normal CD version. I didn’t boycott Pearl Jam nor did I ask Eddie to give me a copy because it was just not fair.
I'll bite. What mysterious special edition of "Animal" are you talking about here? :hm:
Maybe the digipak edition where the album was still called 5 Against One rather than the jewel case edition called "Vs"? Took me long time to finally land a digipak edition. I remember for a while the Slipcover from Filter's Short Bus was a tough find. On that note Filter's newest song is the best thing I've heard from them since Short Bus.....

But on that note, back to Bad Idea. :)

Blood of Heroes

OMG did you know Nirvana had a hidden track after Something in the Way on Nevermind???

Wtf is this, 90’s day??? :lol:

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Eddie Vedder used to live in my neighborhood and I was at the local record shop - Easy Street, which still exists today. They had a ton of bootlegs in there at the time. He's in there looking at the CD's, takes a stack and runs out the door screaming you guys are ripping me off, some such. I thought it was *SQUEE* hilarious. I went up to the owner, who seemed *SQUEE* but didn't do anything about it. I asked if that's ever happened before. He said with a stone faced, "a few times." I laughed even harder.

I also worked at the video rental store where Eddie and his girlfriend would come in. I ran the store at night. He grabbed a handful of videos and left, and didn't come back. For months. This happened before. Presumably he went on tour or something. So I was the *SQUEE* who used to call people over late videos. "Hi, this is Steve from Video Vault. I'm calling to let you know, yet again, that you are 78 days late on returning What About Bob." Thing is, the phone number that Eddie left was for the band, and the message machine had a message of the guys making the weirdest crazy noises, and that message lasted 30 minutes. So I would call, put the phone down, wait the 30 minutes, pick back up and say "Hi, this is Steve from Video Vault. I'm calling to let you know, yet again, that you are 79 days late on returning What About Bob."

I have more 90's PNW music stories.

Blood of Heroes

:lol: