Anyone know the story behind Ron Marz leaving X-O Manowar?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

riftt
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Anyone know the story behind Ron Marz leaving X-O Manowar?

Post by riftt »

I was looking back at X-O's original series and was curious why Marz left so abruptly? The house ads for X-O 51 and 52 said he would be writing them, but then when the actual issues came out his name was nowhere to be found. Did a check bounce? I know a lot of people here hate what he did on the book but he was a pretty big "get" at the time and seemed to have a lot of momentum.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Re: Anyone know the story behind Ron Marz leaving X-O Manowar?

Post by Aport »

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

I wish Hopeless's name would just disappear. I don't even want to no why just let him go.....

Sunlight on Snow

According to the credits, Ron Marz still wrote 50-X and 50-O.
riftt wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:54:25 pm I know a lot of people here hate what he did on the book but he was a pretty big "get" at the time and seemed to have a lot of momentum.
Hate is such a big word. Like these days, people were just frustrated about how things had ended for Jim Shooter (again). Most comic books fans are really easy to *SQUEE* off. It's paradox really -- they rather like to read the very same stories over and over again but keep buying new books. It's a different kind of experience to follow a monthly title and eventually have it canceled and reading a concluded series of xx issues when you already know the company went bankrupt at some point. Having said this, I read the original XO series a few years ago and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. The artwork got worse and there were a few self-concluding issues/stories towards the end but the Mistress Crescendo (created by Marz, IIRC) and how things were falling apart for Aric was really cool. Like I said "in hindsight"; knowing issue 68 would be the last anyway. I really like how the armor killed Darque while Darque still managed to infect the armor.

Sorry no big help when it comes to Marz.
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:58:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:37:48 am According to the credits, Ron Marz still wrote 50-X and 50-O.
riftt wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:54:25 pm I know a lot of people here hate what he did on the book but he was a pretty big "get" at the time and seemed to have a lot of momentum.
Hate is such a big word. ...

I really like how the armor killed Darque while Darque still managed to infect the armor.
Ack! SPOILERS, DUDE, SPOILERS! I can't unsee that! Ack!
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:02:59 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:37:48 am According to the credits, Ron Marz still wrote 50-X and 50-O.

I really like how the armor killed Darque while Darque still managed to infect the armor.
Ah, come on, you again!

I remember considering adding spoiler tags then I was distracted by something..... Sorry!

riftt

Post by riftt »

Yes and he's credited in the book for them. My post said issues 51 and 52 where he was solicited as writer in the house ads but then not credited in the issues. Maybe I'll try asking him on twitter...

Sunlight on Snow

riftt wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:43:28 pm
Yes and he's credited in the book for them. My post said issues 51 and 52 where he was solicited as writer in the house ads but then not credited in the issues. Maybe I'll try asking him on twitter...
Yes, of course. Sorry.

There's also house ads for 53-54 saying "by Bart Sears, Ron Marz, & Andy Smith".

In the Advance Comics he's also still credited for #51-54 and the same house ads are there, too.

Maybe he was just too busy on Silver Surfer and Green Lantern that he couldn't finish his story line anymore?

Sunlight on Snow

Ron Marz just told me he was offered to write the DC vs. Marvel crossover and he had to make a decision about what was more important and then he decided Acclaim/Valiant (as of 1995) wasn't (more) important. Then he wrote "turned out I was right." This sums it up nicely. At the time Valiant wasn't going anywhere anymore and Acclaim had already planned to relaunch the universe in 1996.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:59:06 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:02:59 am

Ah, come on, you again!

I remember considering adding spoiler tags then I was distracted by something..... Sorry!
Were you perhaps distracted by.... TIME

Oh and good job getting an answer about the Marz thing. I'm always impressed when someone adds to the bucket.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?