2020 CGC Registry Awards

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
2020 CGC Registry Awards

Post by DirtbagSailor »

How did everyone do this year?

I managed to to pull off the top sets for:

Divinity (2015)

Harbinger (1992)

Savage (2016)

The Life and Death of Toyo Harada (2019)

2021 is just around the corner... :thumb:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: 2020 CGC Registry Awards

Post by IMJ »

I have several top Iron Man sets and the top Quasar set. I'm actually most proud of the Quasar set for reasons that most people would consider weird - it's because there is maybe only one other person registering books in that set. But against the census there aren't that many Quasar slabs to begin with.

I only started registering books last year otherwise there are several Iron Man sets I'd probably have been top in for some time now. -meh- It's fun. I haven't registered my whole collection yet.
DirtbagSailor wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53:05 pm How did everyone do this year?

I managed to to pull off the top sets for:

Divinity (2015)

Harbinger (1992)

Savage (2016)

The Life and Death of Toyo Harada (2019)

2021 is just around the corner... :thumb:

Your Harbinger set is awesome, btw! big thumb's up

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I had 14 Valiant sets and 4 non-Valiant sets where I finished first. The key to getting so many badges is be in a lot of categories where there is only 0-2 other people in them :lol: A number of the Valiant categories I am the only person in the set and I only have one book. :P

I am happy with my Valiant Gold, Magnus (VH1) and Usagi sets.

Anyways here were the ones I was leading:

Valiant

Valiant Entertainment Gold Variants (2012+)

Britannia (2016)

Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome

Doctor Mirage

Harbinger (2012)

Magnus Robot Fighter (Valiant)

Ninja-K (2017)

Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe

Nintendo Comics (Valiant)

Psi-Lords (2019)

Punk Mambo (2019)

Rai (2014)

Valiant/Gold Key Reprints

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior

Non-Valiant

Donald Duck (2011 - Boom Kids!)

Usagi Yojimbo (Complete)

Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge Adventures

Zenescope Hockey Covers

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Happy to report I have won five out of the six X-O Manowar sets this year.

The first set, X-O Manowar (Volume 1), I lost. I won the set in 2018, but lost in 2019, & now 2020. I’m currently at #3 with a 91% completion percentage. The #1 & #2 spots both have a 100% completion percentage, so I will have to slab the last 7 books in the set to compete.. but good raws are hard to find… the hunt continues.

The second set, X-O Manowar (1996) (or Volume 2, or the Acclaim series) I’m excited to say I have won for the first time! I had CGC make the set in 2017, so the set is five years old now. I’m leading the set with 58% with the #2 collector at 54%, so I still need to be vigilant on completing this set.

The third set, X-O Manowar (2012) (or Volume 3), I have won for the second year in a row. I’m leading the set at 53% with the #2 collector at 45%.

The next set is X-O Manowar: Long Live the King.. a set from a storyline in the X-O Manowar (2012) volume. I asked CGC to make this set in 2019. With the award in 2019, & now 2020… I’m the only collector to ever win this set. I’m leading the set at 66% with the #2 collector at 26%. My plan is to complete this set 100% one day.

The fifth set is X-O Manowar (2017) (or Volume 4). I asked CGC to make this set in 2017 as soon as I slabbed the first issues released. With the award for 2020, I have won this set for the fourth year in a row & I’m the only collector to ever win this set. I’m leading the set at 88% with the #2 collector at 68%.

The sixth set is X-O Manowar (Complete) which encompasses all five volumes of the X-O Manowar series. This is my opus. I asked CGC to make this set in 2016, and lost it in 2016, lol. Since then, & with the win in 2020 now, I have won this set for four years in a row. I’m leading the set at 72% with the #2 collector at 49%... therefore I’m almost leading the set by a 1/3. I have a few more slabs to add once CGC updates the set.

In total, I have 303 X-O Manowar slabs! … with no plans to stop.

Slab Hard!

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

303 Manowar slabs. :o :clap: :high-five:

I have seen you way up on the top of the lists but I never realized you had so many. That is amazing. :cloud9:

I have always felt that X-O Manowar is by far the hardest VH1 Valiant run (I still need 29 of the 0.5-68) to complete and the second hardest VEI (after Harbinger) set to get variants from. There are so many X-O Manowar fans. It really is impressive what you have been able to do.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Y'all are some serious hard-core slabbers!! Congrats to all the winners!

I've won my first this year, Bloodshot (2012). I started playing around with this set a few years back, after I realized I had 5 or 6 slabs. Got serious this last year, and currently have 51% of the series slabbed. It's been fun chasing down those hard to find slabs like #18 ChrissCross, or the #25 Perlin/Hitch. Not all 9.8's, as some of these are crazy hard to come by, but getting those 9.8's are the goal!

I know there's someone out there that wants to sell me a few of those variants, make my quest for all 9.8's a reality :D :D
Moose

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Such a great thread! I wasn’t focused on my collection this year, so I’m pretty out of date, but I still managed to land 21, down from 22 last year.

Armor Hunters
Armorines
Bloodshot V1
Bloodshot Salvation
Book of Death
Chaos Effect
Deathmate
Divinity II
Geomancer
Magnus
Second Life of Doctor Mirage
Ninjas V1
Ninja-K
Punx
Secret Weapons
Solar
Time walker
Unity 2000
Valiant Variants
Visitor

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

How is the score computed?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Jrosen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17:50 pm How is the score computed?
Book are worth more points the higher the grade, and there are higher points awarded based on actual aftermarket sales where demonstrable. You enter Serial numbers of books you own into the registry and basically it's a point chase.

So it's completely possible for someone with a silver age Daredevil #1 CGC 9.8 to actually have more points and fall higher on the registry than it is for another person with a full run of Daredevil #1 - 100 but each slab is graded at 2.0 because a Daredevil #1 9.8 should command so many points that it would be a greater total than the first 100 DD books in low grade would. I made up this example for illustrative purposes - I don't know that the actual point totals of a silver age Daredevil run would result in this configuration but I have seen it and experienced it myself a few times.

It's a good but imperfect system. The biggest issue that I've really seen is that often there are books that are graded and serialized and not encoded properly. For example, there's an Ultimate Iron Man set that I should by all rights have the #1 set of as well, but two of my books are mis-allocated when they were serialized by CGC and don't count towards the proper variant slots. There's more, but those are just a few examples of the ups and the downs.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

CGC is also hit/miss on correcting/updating the registry.

They used to take MONTHS to update; then they hired a new guy and it took days.

However, now we are back again to it taking MONTHS to update.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55:51 pm CGC is also hit/miss on correcting/updating the registry.

I put a basic update request into the thread on July 12 and the most recent request was posted today. They are still working on requests posted in the thread from June 10! Crazy....

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

IMJ wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:08:29 pm
DirtbagSailor wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55:51 pm CGC is also hit/miss on correcting/updating the registry.

I put a basic update request into the thread on July 12 and the most recent request was posted today. They are still working on requests posted in the thread from June 10! Crazy....
Not really as they said for a particular date in early June until the registry awards winners would be announced they would be making no changes to the sets. As the awards were just announced they are starting to make updates again.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

The process of asking for updates is so painful, long and accompanied by errors, I gave up.

The point value for variants is also wacky. VEI variants are no different in value than regular issues.

I know that they are complicated for even those that are in the know, but it would be more efficient and easier if they turned it into a wiki of some sort. Let the real fans manage them.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:17:19 am The point value for variants is also wacky. VEI variants are no different in value than regular issues.
Well you might consider that could be for one of two reasons -

1. There are many ratio variants that aren't commanding a lot of attention and don't have big sales. So basically CGC disregards a ratio in lieu of dollars changing hands

2. None of the community are reporting ratio sales as they find them in order to make the requests to have the point totals updated. Basically the real fans have to make the posts for point updates and include sales justifications. I've done it with a few 1:250 and 1:1000 Iron Man books and the points were adjusted.

lobo
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by lobo »

nycjadie wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:17:19 am
The point value for variants is also wacky. VEI variants are no different in value than regular issues.

I always thought it was that the creation of new sets with moderns that every book got the base 24 pts and just stayed at 24 pts indefinitely until a request was submitted to change the score. I have so many big $$ variants sitting at 24 pts that I won't bother trying to correct the scores to something closer to reality. VEI has too many variant covers so the problem is just magnified.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

So the number of pages may also have something to do with initial point-value and scores.

For example, a 24 page new book might receive a baseline score of 24 points (until a request is made with documented sales records to justify a point-value increase), whereas my Life and Death of Toyo Harada 9.8s all received a baseline score of 40 points, except for the Ashcan Edition which received a baseline score of 32 points.