The Final Witness

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: The Final Witness

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:34:25 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:31:54 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40:41 am
kjjohanson wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:08:09 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:42:09 am
GammaJosh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32:17 am Some things never change.
Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions*
Dehumanizing speech like calling groups of people cockroaches is often a precursor to genocide.
Well before you jump in, be intellectually curious and find out what the people Katie Hopkins criticises have actually done...it’s the stuff of nightmares.
So what do you guys think about The Final Witness? :wink:
I'm looking forward to checking it out, whenever it finally comes out
I think the concept sounds promising!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

kjjohanson wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33:56 pm
GammaJosh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32:17 am Some things never change. I check in here every few months, and am not surprised to see people defending a clearly racist *SQUEE*. When you call people "cockroaches" or "a plague of feral humans", that is classic dehumanizing language and clearly racist. Simply put, if you feel the need to defend someone using that language, you're a piece of *SQUEE*. Good luck with your *SQUEE* *SQUEE* board, guys.
Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions* that destroy lives or takes the lives of others.

But yeah, let’s focus on the language people use and then bask in the glow of how we’re the good people and how we’ve admonished the ‘bad people’.
Dehumanizing speech like calling groups of people cockroaches is often a precursor to genocide.
Well before you jump in, be intellectually curious and find out what the people Katie Hopkins criticises have actually done...it’s the stuff of nightmares.

Secondly, I’m fairly confident there’s not going to be any genocides in a Western Country anytime soon. However, one day we might wake up and realise what we’ve done by opening the doors to the wrong people.

As for your ‘cancel culture’ support, the crazies on the left call others ‘fascist’ yet at the same time appear to have the most fascistic tendencies. There’ll be a backlash eventually.
You clearly don't know what fascism is.

And if you haven't been paying attention, what's going on in the U.S., Portland especially, is a slide into an authoritarian regime, so I wouldn't be so sure that it can't happen in a western country any time soon.

Orwell said it best, that the word "fascism" had lost all meaning and any English speaker might as well use the word "bully". Nothing that is going on now has much in common with historical fascism - the government is not trying to take command over the economy, the government is not censoring the press [an antagonistic relationship with most press outlets is not censorship], and the government is not making the needs of the population subservient to the single, national state. The symbol of the fascist is the fasces, a bundle of sticks bound around an axe. This symbol has been used in western civilization for thousands of years to represent civics. It was a Roman symbol taken from the Etruscans. It appeared on the back of the Mercury dime and was the old Boy Scouts merit badge for civics. The fascists used the fasces to represent beating down their opponents. The English translation of fasces is *SQUEE*. Cancel culture is an excellent example of this aspect of fascism - handed down from post-modern schools of thought and not unlike how the Soviets would go so far as to doctor old photographs to remove individual people who had been cancelled, or the way Scientologists shun people that their church has labeled as suppressive persons.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:22:07 am
kjjohanson wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:34:25 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:31:54 pm

Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions*
So what do you guys think about The Final Witness? :wink:
I'm looking forward to checking it out, whenever it finally comes out
I think the concept sounds promising!
Something different. Could work.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:21:30 am
GammaJosh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32:17 am Some things never change. I check in here every few months, and am not surprised to see people defending a clearly racist *SQUEE*. When you call people "cockroaches" or "a plague of feral humans", that is classic dehumanizing language and clearly racist. Simply put, if you feel the need to defend someone using that language, you're a piece of *SQUEE*. Good luck with your *SQUEE* *SQUEE* board, guys.
Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions* that destroy lives or takes the lives of others.

But yeah, let’s focus on the language people use and then bask in the glow of how we’re the good people and how we’ve admonished the ‘bad people’.

Secondly, I’m fairly confident there’s not going to be any genocides in a Western Country anytime soon. However, one day we might wake up and realise what we’ve done by opening the doors to the wrong people.

As for your ‘cancel culture’ support, the crazies on the left call others ‘fascist’ yet at the same time appear to have the most fascistic tendencies. There’ll be a backlash eventually.

And if you haven't been paying attention, what's going on in the U.S., Portland especially, is a slide into an authoritarian regime, so I wouldn't be so sure that it can't happen in a western country any time soon.
Authoritarian??! That’s hilarious, those US cities with the riots and police no go zones are like the lawless badlands from Mad Max! How many people have been murdered by the mostly peaceful protesters, I’ve lost count?

You clearly have no idea what authoritarian is if you think looting, allowed shoplifting (wtf), graffiti , destroyed statues is an authoritarian society. American mayors are complicit in the destruction of their own cities, it’s literally unbelievable. If that was a movie you’d think it was too far fetched.
Maybe you can explain to me why peaceful protestors are being arrested by agents that refuse to identify themselves
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:21:16 am

Orwell said it best, that the word "fascism" had lost all meaning and any English speaker might as well use the word "bully". Nothing that is going on now has much in common with historical fascism - the government is not trying to take command over the economy, the government is not censoring the press [an antagonistic relationship with most press outlets is not censorship], and the government is not making the needs of the population subservient to the single, national state. The symbol of the fascist is the fasces, a bundle of sticks bound around an axe. This symbol has been used in western civilization for thousands of years to represent civics. It was a Roman symbol taken from the Etruscans. It appeared on the back of the Mercury dime and was the old Boy Scouts merit badge for civics. The fascists used the fasces to represent beating down their opponents. The English translation of fasces is *SQUEE*. Cancel culture is an excellent example of this aspect of fascism - handed down from post-modern schools of thought and not unlike how the Soviets would go so far as to doctor old photographs to remove individual people who had been cancelled, or the way Scientologists shun people that their church has labeled as suppressive persons.
I guess you missed the purge at Voice of America, and the numerous times that Trump has floated the idea of having his own news network?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:20:22 am

Authoritarian??! That’s hilarious, those US cities with the riots and police no go zones are like the lawless badlands from Mad Max! How many people have been murdered by the mostly peaceful protesters, I’ve lost count?

You clearly have no idea what authoritarian is if you think looting, allowed shoplifting (wtf), graffiti , destroyed statues is an authoritarian society. American mayors are complicit in the destruction of their own cities, it’s literally unbelievable. If that was a movie you’d think it was too far fetched.
Maybe you can explain to me why peaceful protestors are being arrested by agents that refuse to identify themselves
Peaceful protestors :lol: As the cities burn, shops looted, people assaulted for ‘wrong think ‘ and buildings destroyed.

Classic cognitive dissonance!

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:32:07 am

Peaceful protestors :lol: As the cities burn, shops looted, people assaulted for ‘wrong think ‘ and buildings destroyed.

Your comment only works if you think that every individual protester is responsible for the actions of every other protester. That's not how things work.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:36:49 pm

Your comment only works if you think that every individual protester is responsible for the actions of every other protester. That's not how things work.
Ermm...aren’t they protesting (aka rioting) and wanting to ‘defund the police’ because of the actions of a minuscule percentage of the police? Ironically you simultaneously think that the police are an authoritarian regime.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

kjjohanson wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:21:10 am
Chiclo wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:21:16 am

I guess you missed the purge at Voice of America, and the numerous times that Trump has floated the idea of having his own news network?
Neither are examples of government censorship of the media. I don’t know enough about Voice of America to know what department or branch of the government they fall into but anything in the executive branch serves at the pleasure of the President. Presidents need to clean house more often than they do; that was W’s biggest mistake. Voice of America isn’t even allowed to broadcast into America.

What would be so terrible about Trump having his own news network? There are a lot, too many, already. The Democrat party had its own news network 15 years ago and I was among its tens of regular listeners. One more biased news network would get lost in the crowd, be it Trump or AOC or Steve Bannon behind it all. Probably easier to ignore it than it would be to watch it.

Fascism would shut down CNN because they say bad things about the President. Fascists deprive dissenters of the means to get their ideas out there. There is no shortage of criticism of the President among today’s journalists and none of them are worried that they will be abducted by unmarked police cars, Portland style. More journalists have lost their jobs running afoul of progressive orthodoxy than the President.

If you consider that social media is the modern printing press, then the modern fascists want to remove their opponents from social media. Who are the people calling for deplatforming those they disagree with? Is it Katie Hopkins? Or are the true fascists coming for Katie Hopkins?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:11:13 pm

Ermm...aren’t they protesting (aka rioting) and wanting to ‘defund the police’ because of the actions of a minuscule percentage of the police? Ironically you simultaneously think that the police are an authoritarian regime.
Behind what you believe to be a minuscule percentage is a system that continues to protect those bad actors. So it's much more than just the officers. If you actually believe what you wrote, try educating yourself about the subject.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Bad actors? facepalm someone’s swallowed the antifa hand book I see.

Quite the opposite, police officers are often scapegoats for ‘political point scoring ‘ and suspended, sacked, jailed because of manufactured public outcry based on carefully edited film.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

SO... will The Final Witness ever get a conclusion?

mramsterdam
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by mramsterdam »

slack wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:58:40 pm SO... will The Final Witness ever get a conclusion?
How, it hasn't come out yet?
I-Only judge porn by the cover.

buff-beardo
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

Man, what a bummer. 8 years ago, the future was so bright.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Well before you jump in...

Portland.
Authoritarian??!
explain to me why peaceful protestors are being arrested by agents that refuse to identify themselves

Thank you!
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:37:36 pm Bad actors? facepalm someone’s swallowed the antifa hand book I see.

Quite the opposite, police officers are often scapegoats for ‘political point scoring ‘ and suspended, sacked, jailed because of manufactured public outcry based on carefully edited film.
When have police in the U.S. ever been held to account for ANYTHING. Seriously I'm not aware of anything like what you mean. On the other hand, time and again police get away with MURDER.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

buff-beardo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:56:41 pm Man, what a bummer. 8 years ago, the future was so bright.
Cheer up, the Final Witness will come out eventually.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41:18 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:37:36 pm Bad actors? facepalm someone’s swallowed the antifa hand book I see.

When have police in the U.S. ever been held to account for ANYTHING. Seriously I'm not aware of anything like what you mean. On the other hand, time and again police get away with MURDER.
QFT.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

kjjohanson wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:21:30 pm
Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41:18 pm

QFT.
QFT? I had to Google that one. I'm not too hip. I'm rather surprised that the F didn't stand for a word rhyming with duck. KJJ did you realize you were hip?

slack

Post by slack »

mramsterdam wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:57:12 pm
slack wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:58:40 pm SO... will The Final Witness ever get a conclusion?
My mistake...
All this time off is messing with my memory... I was thinking of Visitor.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

slack wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21:09 am
mramsterdam wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:57:12 pm
My mistake...
All this time off is messing with my memory... I was thinking of Visitor.
For myself I thought it was a great addition to the conversation!

slack

Post by slack »

Admittedly, I was mainly trying to interrupt the off-topic political disagreements that have seemingly hijacked the thread.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

slack wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:33:49 am Admittedly, I was mainly trying to interrupt the off-topic political disagreements that have seemingly hijacked the thread.
It's actually very fitting. The Visitor is The Final Witness of the apocalypse