The Final Witness

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: The Final Witness

Post by Oxmyx »

aj583 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:29:32 pm I'm both interested and hopeful on The Final Witness.
I'm both disinterested and hopeful on The Final Witness.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:38:58 am
possumgrease wrote:“And the award for GOAT titties, goes to....?
Ginger Rogers
Can I change my answer? After careful consideration, I think I am going with Delta Burke.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I just read all five pages of this thread which went from the solicitation of a noir mystery

to Heather Antos (the editor everyone seems to love to hate :devil: )

to Valiant as a whole
to diversity/inclusiveness/representation in comics (It's a trap! Don't mention it! :!: )

to Dysart love (Who doesn't? Off with their heads! :twisted: )

to the Final Countdown's connection to Psi-Lords (WTF? :? )

to entertainment vs. lessons and what makes a good comic
to pointless debate and personal attacks and name calling ( :popcorn: )

to the US Census and ethnic breakdown of Americans ( :hi: :peace: )

to gratuitous mention of Breaking Bad ( :clap: )

to Amanda and Shan's menstrual cycles ( facepalm )

to plant consciousness and pollinator extinction

to Archie Bunker reference (you don't see those every day fo sho)

to homophobic accusations and SJW honorable mention ( :poke: )
to Ricky Gervais ( :superstar: )

to milk alternatives
to Perry Mason and Colonel Mustard ( :high-five: )

to fantasy football
to Ferris Bueller (anyone, anyone? :sleeping: )

to Breitbart and Katie Hopkins and British politics

to gluten

to Goat titties (Uber Sheep mammary glands :lol: )
to Klingons ( :headbang: )

to Ginger Rogers

to almond farming practices contributing to pollinator extinction ( :atomic: :atomic: :atomic: )

to the Legion of Super-Heroes (Jim Shooter's first professional comic work)

to coffee creamer shots ( :screwy: )

to breaking Piers Morgan's fingers
to increase in stabbings in London ( :tomato: )

to Dinesh love ( :cloud9: )

to Delta Burke.

:offtopic:

There's a Billy Joel song in here somewhere.... :hm: (We Didn't Start the Fire)

How in the he// we went through all that and avoided Godwin's Law is amazing to me!!

I love all ya'll and this place!! :thumb:

Happy Friday everyone!!!
***Support your local farmers!***

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:02:08 pm Man are you guys a bunch of women-haters. :lol:

I mean, if there’s 4 main characters I would assume at least 1 will be a woman and 1 would be a minority (heaven forbid there’s a female minority!). It’s called being representative. Maybe not of their readers, but of the general populace. 50% are women or most of us wouldn’t be here. Almost 50% are minorities in America. So if people started randomly getting superpowers, about half would be women and half would be minorities. Get over it. If you have an issue with the work creators are producing, or a lack of resume for those that are hired, that’s fine. But let’s not pretend there isn’t something else going on if you have an issue with females, minorities, or female minorities being represented in your superhero comic books. It’s not that those characters aren’t working, it’s that the books have sucked for the most part and/or have been marketed terribly. Dysart wrote almost exclusively women and minorities (and aliens and robots) in Imperium and no one said *SQUEE* because he’s an awesome writer. At least hopefully that was the reason and it wasn’t because he’s a white male so he’s beyond criticism. Blah blah blah Heather Antos blah blah blah liberal agenda.

End rant.
:thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:49:41 am
The Chosen 1 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Do the Brits read much Breitbart? Probably more like Katie Hopkins. I wanted to go see her when she was in (the) Midland(s).

Why start with Unknown Soldier? That's like starting discussing a band that had been around for a long time and finally gets a hit record, like how Metallica fans get about the black album.
I’ve heard of Breitbart but I’ve never seen it, I think it’s an online news site with right wing leanings I’m guessing?
Yeah, Katie dishes out red pills aplenty :thumb:
Sorry, if I understand you correctly, that is: your addition of a thumbs-up emoticon following a statement about Katie Hopkins "handing out red pills", that you're suggesting that she acts as something of a reality check for any member of the public that happens to catch something that she says, and that you're generally in favour of the typical type of comments that she makes.

Please tell me I'm wrong.
Yes I am generally in favour of whet she says. What are you not in favour of?
To be honest, i only hear the stuff that is really controversial. I can't think of any comment off the top of my head. Based on that limited exposure to her, she seems like a complete *SQUEE* idiot, but im not sure if she says that stuff to keep herself in the public eye or if she actually believes it. A bit like Piers Morgan. So of his stuff is just out there. Although we did like it when Brett Lee bowled 6 balls at him at the MCG nets and broke a finger or two on Piers hand. I think all of Australia cheered when we heard that, lol.
Katie Hopkins is one of the few public figures who will speak out about controversial issues that the MSM won’t touch as it’s not PC. If you think what she says isn’t real then do some research. Start with Rotherham and go from there. Not something for discussion on this board as it’s too horrendous and not appropriate.

Or the state of London and the crime explosion (stabbings etc).

Plus she was a big supporter of Brexit so she’s good in my book.

As for Piers, I’m not a massive fan.
She is clearly racist, hence her ban from twitter.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12:31 am She is clearly racist, hence her ban from twitter.
I would say that being banned from Twitter is not evidence of saying racist things or being racist, only that she had consistently run afoul of critical race theory or intersectionality. She has been found guilty of wrongthink and has been cancelled for her crimes.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28:35 pm
leonmallett wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12:31 am She is clearly racist, hence her ban from twitter.
I would say that being banned from Twitter is not evidence of saying racist things or being racist, only that she had consistently run afoul of critical race theory or intersectionality. She has been found guilty of wrongthink and has been cancelled for her crimes.
In 2018 Hopkins had her passport confiscated and was prevented from leaving South Africa after being accused by the country's authorities of 'spreading racial hatred'. This isn't isolated to Twitter, and has seen her employment terminated from paid platforms.

Yeah. She isn't racist. :roll:

There are plenty of examples, here are some others:

Re; migrants crossing the Mediterranean:
Katie Hopkins wrote:NO, I don’t care. Show me pictures of coffins, show me bodies floating in water, play violins and show me skinny people looking sad. I still don’t care.” and “Bring on the gunships, force migrants back to their shores and burn the boats.
Katie Hopkins wrote:...do I feel pity? Only for the British drivers, who get hit with a fine every time one of this plague of feral humans ends up in their truck.
Katie Hopkins wrote:]Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit “Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984”, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors.
On BLM:
Katie Hopkins wrote:“Why do black lives matter more when a white person is involved?”
She was fired from LBC over this Tweet invoking Nazi ethnic genocide; LBC has, and has had, plenty of right and far right leaning broadcasters (and for context left leaning ones too):
Katie Hopkins wrote:22 dead – number rising. Schofield. Don’t you even dare. Do not be a part of the problem. We need a final solution Machester [sic].
If you do not see or detect the race or ethnicity based hateful rhetoric in her commentary, then that is on you and has zero to do with alleged group think.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Most of those quotes look to me like she’s being acerbic or speaking in hyperbole to get noticed among the chatter that is social media or more specifically Twitter, and not exclusively statements that would come from a place of dislike of different races just because of their race. That being said, that last quote looks really bad. I’d like to see more context, but she had to know what she was saying in invoking the phrase final solution. I learned of Katie Hopkins through Twitter and I think that everything I know about her comes from Twitter. The comment about the migrants being like cockroaches looks bad too but I think she is making a point about their ability to survive. Again, I’d like more context before totally writing her off but it is not as bad as citing the Nazis.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:05:24 am
In 2018 Hopkins had her passport confiscated and was prevented from leaving South Africa after being accused by the country's authorities of 'spreading racial hatred'. This isn't isolated to Twitter, and has seen her employment terminated from paid platforms.

Katie Hopkins wrote:NO, I don’t care. Show me pictures of coffins, show me bodies floating in water, play violins and show me skinny people looking sad. I still don’t care.” and “Bring on the gunships, force migrants back to their shores and burn the boats.
Katie Hopkins wrote:...do I feel pity? Only for the British drivers, who get hit with a fine every time one of this plague of feral humans ends up in their truck.
Katie Hopkins wrote:]Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit “Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984”, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors.
On BLM:
Katie Hopkins wrote:“Why do black lives matter more when a white person is involved?”
She was fired from LBC over this Tweet invoking Nazi ethnic genocide; LBC has, and has had, plenty of right and far right leaning broadcasters (and for context left leaning ones too):
Katie Hopkins wrote:22 dead – number rising. Schofield. Don’t you even dare. Do not be a part of the problem. We need a final solution Machester [sic].
If you do not see or detect the race or ethnicity based hateful rhetoric in her commentary, then that is on you and has zero to do with alleged group think.
Uh oh,virtue signalling alert! What a ridiculous and purposeful ignorant portrayal of Katie Hopkins.

Katie Hopkins is one of the few UK media personalities who speaks out about the vile crimes carried out on British children. This is not the forum to get into that, but if anyone is genuinely interested then fact check what she says about rape gangs operating all over England, South African absolute brutal torture and murder of white farmers and legitimate arguments against the BLM movement who just made some anti Jewish statements which celebs are now backing away from.

Cancel culture is hitting liberals now so to use ‘being banned by twitter ‘ as proof of anything shows a lack of intellectual curiosity.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:16:54 am

On BLM:
Uh oh,virtue signalling alert! What a ridiculous and purposeful ignorant portrayal of Katie Hopkins.

Katie Hopkins is one of the few UK media personalities who speaks out about the vile crimes carried out on British children. This is not the forum to get into that, but if anyone is genuinely interested then fact check what she says about rape gangs operating all over England, South African absolute brutal torture and murder of white farmers and legitimate arguments against the BLM movement who just made some anti Jewish statements which celebs are now backing away from.

Cancel culture is hitting liberals now so to use ‘being banned by twitter ‘ as proof of anything shows a lack of intellectual curiosity.
Virtue signalling? So i guess you don't think anyone can can in honesty abhor racism. Ergo, you are racist?

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:02:37 am Most of those quotes look to me like she’s being acerbic or speaking in hyperbole to get noticed among the chatter that is social media or more specifically Twitter, and not exclusively statements that would come from a place of dislike of different races just because of their race. That being said, that last quote looks really bad. I’d like to see more context, but she had to know what she was saying in invoking the phrase final solution. I learned of Katie Hopkins through Twitter and I think that everything I know about her comes from Twitter. The comment about the migrants being like cockroaches looks bad too but I think she is making a point about their ability to survive. Again, I’d like more context before totally writing her off but it is not as bad as citing the Nazis.
Actually, some of those quotes are from her columns.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

leonmallett wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56:15 am

On BLM:

Virtue signalling? So i guess you don't think anyone can can in honesty abhor racism. Ergo, you are racist?
People are allowed to criticise mass immigration
People are allowed to criticise fake refugees
People are allowed to criticise the BLM movement
People are allowed to point out racially motivated crimes against white people (as inconvenient as that is to the blind eyes turned by those on the extreme left).

Not sure where your issue is? Katie Hopkins exercises freedom of speech that we no longer have in the UK, you can use yours and disagree.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:35:08 am

On BLM:

People are allowed to point out racially motivated crimes against white people (as inconvenient as that is to the blind eyes turned by those on the extreme left).

Not sure where your issue is? Katie Hopkins exercises freedom of speech that we no longer have in the UK, you can use yours and disagree.
You side-stepped the point -you accused me of virtue signalling (labelling buy you) yet don't respond to that point.

Not sure where her freedom of speech has has been removed in the UK; her employers terminated her because they disagreed with the views she espoused under that very freedom you mention. Cause and effect; freedom of speech is not the freedom from consequence for that speech.

Twitter is a US based platform and took its own decisions.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

leonmallett wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:31:46 am

On BLM:

You side-stepped the point -you accused me of virtue signalling (labelling buy you) yet don't respond to that point.

Not sure where her freedom of speech has has been removed in the UK; her employers terminated her because they disagreed with the views she espoused under that very freedom you mention. Cause and effect; freedom of speech is not the freedom from consequence for that speech.

Left wing loonies dropping the R bomb to close down dissenting voices becomes less effective the more over used it gets. Katie Hopkins is the victim of the tedious woke culture that is all pervasive.
Ask yourself why your priority is the ‘hurty words’ Katie Hopkins uses rather than the subject matter she talks about.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Some things never change. I check in here every few months, and am not surprised to see people defending a clearly racist *SQUEE*. When you call people "cockroaches" or "a plague of feral humans", that is classic dehumanizing language and clearly racist. Simply put, if you feel the need to defend someone using that language, you're a piece of *SQUEE*. Good luck with your *SQUEE* *SQUEE* board, guys.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

GammaJosh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32:17 am Some things never change. I check in here every few months, and am not surprised to see people defending a clearly racist *SQUEE*. When you call people "cockroaches" or "a plague of feral humans", that is classic dehumanizing language and clearly racist. Simply put, if you feel the need to defend someone using that language, you're a piece of *SQUEE*. Good luck with your *SQUEE* *SQUEE* board, guys.
Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions* that destroy lives or takes the lives of others.

But yeah, let’s focus on the language people use and then bask in the glow of how we’re the good people and how we’ve admonished the ‘bad people’.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:42:09 am Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions* that destroy lives or takes the lives of others.

But yeah, let’s focus on the language people use and then bask in the glow of how we’re the good people and how we’ve admonished the ‘bad people’.
Our speech is violence. Their violence is speech.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:26:20 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:42:09 am Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions* that destroy lives or takes the lives of others.

Our speech is violence. Their violence is speech.
Spot on!

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:25:02 pm
leonmallett wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:31:46 am

On BLM:

Left wing loonies dropping the R bomb to close down dissenting voices becomes less effective the more over used it gets. Katie Hopkins is the victim of the tedious woke culture that is all pervasive.
Ask yourself why your priority is the ‘hurty words’ Katie Hopkins uses rather than the subject matter she talks about.
Hopkins is the victim of her own words, and a world slowly turning on people who spew such *SQUEE*
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:42:09 am
GammaJosh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32:17 am Some things never change. I check in here every few months, and am not surprised to see people defending a clearly racist *SQUEE*. When you call people "cockroaches" or "a plague of feral humans", that is classic dehumanizing language and clearly racist. Simply put, if you feel the need to defend someone using that language, you're a piece of *SQUEE*. Good luck with your *SQUEE* *SQUEE* board, guys.
Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions* that destroy lives or takes the lives of others.

Dehumanizing speech like calling groups of people cockroaches is often a precursor to genocide.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:08:09 pm

Dehumanizing speech like calling groups of people cockroaches is often a precursor to genocide.
Well before you jump in, be intellectually curious and find out what the people Katie Hopkins criticises have actually done...it’s the stuff of nightmares.

Secondly, I’m fairly confident there’s not going to be any genocides in a Western Country anytime soon. However, one day we might wake up and realise what we’ve done by opening the doors to the wrong people.

As for your ‘cancel culture’ support, the crazies on the left call others ‘fascist’ yet at the same time appear to have the most fascistic tendencies. There’ll be a backlash eventually.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:40:41 am
GammaJosh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32:17 am Some things never change.
Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions*
Well before you jump in, be intellectually curious and find out what the people Katie Hopkins criticises have actually done...it’s the stuff of nightmares.
So what do you guys think about The Final Witness? :wink:
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Secondly, I’m fairly confident there’s not going to be any genocides in a Western Country anytime soon. However, one day we might wake up and realise what we’ve done by opening the doors to the wrong people.

As for your ‘cancel culture’ support, the crazies on the left call others ‘fascist’ yet at the same time appear to have the most fascistic tendencies. There’ll be a backlash eventually.
You clearly don't know what fascism is.

And if you haven't been paying attention, what's going on in the U.S., Portland especially, is a slide into an authoritarian regime, so I wouldn't be so sure that it can't happen in a western country any time soon.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Oxmyx wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:31:54 pm
GammaJosh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32:17 am Some things never change.
Another virtue signaller more concerned with hurty words than *actual violent actions*
So what do you guys think about The Final Witness? :wink:
I'm looking forward to checking it out, whenever it finally comes out

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33:56 pm

You clearly don't know what fascism is.

And if you haven't been paying attention, what's going on in the U.S., Portland especially, is a slide into an authoritarian regime, so I wouldn't be so sure that it can't happen in a western country any time soon.
Authoritarian??! That’s hilarious, those US cities with the riots and police no go zones are like the lawless badlands from Mad Max! How many people have been murdered by the mostly peaceful protesters, I’ve lost count?

You clearly have no idea what authoritarian is if you think looting, allowed shoplifting (wtf), graffiti , destroyed statues is an authoritarian society. American mayors are complicit in the destruction of their own cities, it’s literally unbelievable. If that was a movie you’d think it was too far fetched.