WTB DIVINITY #1 LAROSA (1:40) 9.8

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: WTB DIVINITY #1 LAROSA (1:40) 9.8

Post by magnus20009 »

VEI has primarily been about the relaunch of the classic Valiant Characters that we love so much. Thus it has been a little weak on 1st appearances of truly important new characters. To me the way I define the 10 most important first appearance books in VEI are all tied to which characters could star in their own title.

However before starting the countdown I think there is one honorable mention:

HM) Jamie Capshaw - X-O Manowar #15 (1:50)
I think Capshaw could arguably be as high as #5 in this list.

10) War Mother - 4001 AD War Mother #1 (1:20)

Not a lot has been done to advance War Mother.

9) Generation Zero - Harbinger Wars #1 (1:50)
The series never really took off.

8) Dr. Neela Sethi - Ivar, Timewalker #1 (1:50)
Has been in stasis for a few years it seems.

7) Savage - Savage #1 (1:50)
Started off with such promise and then just withered on the vine. Potential new series was panned.

6) Antonius Axia, also known as The Detectioner Britannia #1 (1:50)
Had three interesting mini-series. Likely will not have another by the same team.

5) Roku - Ninjak #1 (1:60)
VEI seems to be trying to make her into the first big villain they developed.

4) Doctor Mirage - Shadowman #5 (1:125 linewide)
For me Doctor Mirage would be #1 but I do not think that would be the consensus among most.

3) Punk Mambo - Shadowman #13 (1:50)
For me Punk Mambo would be #2 but I do not think that would be the consensus among most.

2) Livewire - Harbinger #3 (1:20)
I have trouble ranking Livewire this high as she is a re-imaged version of a VH1 character. I am not sure she should count as new. Certainly the most impactful character on this list.

1) Abram Adams - Divinity #1 (1:40)
The consensus #1 new character.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Speaking of coolness of cover.... your honorable mention.... X-O Manowar 1:50 (first Capshaw) is off the chain cover cool. It is hard to argue your top ten order. As a matter of opinion, I think Britannia #1 1:50 may be a little too high.... but time will tell.

I noticed that there are now 11 CGC 9.8s, 4 CGC 9.6s, and there is one signature signed CGC 9.8 Shadowman #13 Davis on the registry. Does anyone here own this SS 9.8? If so I’d love to see a pic! I wonder if the signature is Davis (the cover artist) or one of the other creators?

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Juki wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12:25 pm Speaking of coolness of cover.... your honorable mention.... X-O Manowar 1:50 (first Capshaw) is off the chain cover cool. It is hard to argue your top ten order. As a matter of opinion, I think Britannia #1 1:50 may be a little too high.... but time will tell.

I noticed that there are now 11 CGC 9.8s, 4 CGC 9.6s, and there is one signature signed CGC 9.8 Shadowman #13 Davis on the registry. Does anyone here own this SS 9.8? If so I’d love to see a pic! I wonder if the signature is Davis (the cover artist) or one of the other creators?
X-O 15 is definitely the best cover of them all. I almost did Sunlight on Snow’s and Angelica’s first appearances from Imperium 1 and 2 as honourable mentions as well. I was trying to think who else besides Capshaw who has not starred in a book was an important first appearance but wasn’t coming up with much. Blood squirt? Gin Grr?

In terms of characters I think 6 - 10 could almost be put in any order as none have been that developed yet. I put Axia at #6 since he anchored 3 mini-series so I viewed him as being more developed than the characters behind him.

In my mind there is a big separation between the first 5 and the next 5 (although that could change if any of 6 to 10 were more developed).

I have one of the Shadowman 13 in 9.8 but mine is unsigned (I try to avoid signed slabbed books if possible). I would actually like to get all the books in my top 10 countdown in 9.8 (I still need 4001 AD War Mother 1 1:20, Harbinger Wars 1 1:50, Ivar Timewalker 1 1:50 and Harbinger 3 1:20)

While I wouldn’t buy VEI books with the idea of them being sound investments if I was going to pick one book that I think has the most potential to increase in value out of the 10 books I listed it would be the different Shadowman 13 books as I think Punk Mambo has the most potential for things to be done in comics / on the big screen compared to the other characters and as the 13th issue in the title the various covers of this book were not hoarded.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

“In terms of characters I think 6 - 10 could almost be put in any order as none have been that developed yet. I put Axia at #6 since he anchored 3 mini-series so I viewed him as being more developed than the characters behind him.

In my mind there is a big separation between the first 5 and the next 5 (although that could change if any of 6 to 10 were more developed).”

[/quote]

If Antonius Axia was brought into a timeline with the other characters he would make a move on the list. It seems that the previous administration was moving in that direction. The same could be said for Savage.

But, what will happen now? Is this new Savage comic gonna go in that direction?...interaction with the rest of the Valiant IPs?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Magnus20009 prefers blue label CGC 9.8s For these key comics (and all other comics). Is that so they fit uniformly into your collection? There is something to be said for an almost perfect untouched graded comic allowed to stand alone as a statement.

I don’t have many signature signed books.... but given the option when buying these keys.... I would take the signature signed comic every time. I think it brings a uniqueness to the already rare comic.... especially for first appearances. But, that is just me.

What is everyone else’s opinion?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
WTB DIVINITY #1 LAROSA (1:40) 9.8

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Juki wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12:25 pm Speaking of coolness of cover.... your honorable mention.... X-O Manowar 1:50 (first Capshaw) is off the chain cover cool. It is hard to argue your top ten order. As a matter of opinion, I think Britannia #1 1:50 may be a little too high.... but time will tell.

Interesting that you bring up that X-O Manowar #15 1:50 Kotaki. Little known fact, I have the only Kotaki signature on that book, PERIOD! It's the one and only book he has ever signed (and only CGC Sig Series out there obviously). I tracked him down in Seattle a few years back, expressed how Valiant fans have loved his artwork (has a Shadowman cover too), and told him all about the error variant and he was shocked about what it had turned out to be. He told me that those two comic covers were the only comic covers he has ever done (he mainly does art for computer games). He felt like dabbling, and experiencing what it might be like to do a little of that. He said it was fun, and loved Valiant's interactions with him.

If you are looking for some killer (and I mean *SQUEE* KILLER) fantasy artwork, look him up on Twitter. I know I've pushed him a lot here, he's quite responsive! @kakaikotaki

As far as that 9.8 Sig Series, that one belongs to me as well (I think). It's signed by Justin Jordan (three times! Long story). Dude always is at ECCC, and is such a blast to chat with! If I can remember, I will take a pic of it when I get home from work today

What Kotaki has been up to lately and some older stuffImage

Last edited by TheeBaldMoose on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moose

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57:55 pm

Interesting that you bring up that X-O Manowar #15 1:50 Kotaki. Little known fact, I have the only Kotaki signature on that book, PERIOD! It's the one and only book he has ever signed (and only CGC Sig Series out there obviously). I tracked him down in Seattle a few years back, expressed how Valiant fans have loved his artwork (has a Shadowman cover too), and told him all about the error variant and he was shocked about what it had turned out to be. He told me that those two comic covers were the only comic covers he has ever done (he mainly does art for computer games). He felt like dabbling, and experiencing what it might be like to do a little of that. He said it was fun, and loved Valiant's interactions with him.

If you are looking for some killer (and I mean *SQUEE* KILLER) fantasy artwork, look him up on Twitter. I know I've pushed him a lot here, he's quite responsive!

As far as that 9.8 Sig Series, that one belongs to me as well (I think). It's signed by Justin Jordan (three times! Long story). Dude always is at ECCC, and is such a blast to chat with! If I can remember, I will take a pic of it when I get home from work today
I emailed Kotaki a year or two ago to inquire about the original art for X-O Manowar #15 1:50. He was very nice and told me that his artwork for the comic was not “hand drawn”.... but computer generated instead. So, there is no “hand drawn” original cover art for X-O #15.

I think the SS 9.8 Kotaki #15 is Awesome!

I do have two SS comics on your list.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Juki wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:55:49 pm Magnus20009 prefers blue label CGC 9.8s For these key comics (and all other comics). Is that so they fit uniformly into your collection? There is something to be said for an almost perfect untouched graded comic allowed to stand alone as a statement.
Yes it is partially because I am OCD and want everything to fit uniformly into my collection. :lol:

I prefer books to look clean. I have even asked (and been successful) to have copies of raw books that were only being sold signed by the artist to sell me a copy (at the signed priced) with out a signature for my collection. Also I often find a lot of signatures on books to be no more than scribbles.

That said I am not against signatures and understand why some people want them. I like some of the higher end Barks, Rosa and Sakai hardcovers that have signatures on the tip in plate on the book. I have copy of Incredible Hulk 340 that McFarlane signed the front page of 25-30 years ago that won't leave my collection and of course I have all the VVSS

Not into signed slabs and and I only have 5 yellow labels. One is the Secret Weapons VVSS, one a Unity 3-D which I need to replace with an unsigned slab, the Secret Weapons VVSS, two others are Star Wars action figure covers, one which I have since found a Universal slab and the other that I am still searching for.

I actually bought a yellow label Star Wars book last night signed by the actor who paid Bobba Fett. Fett was neither on the cover, not appeared in the book so I do not get why he signed it. The seller is shipping to another collector on my behalf who is sending me his copy unsigned copy so we are both very happy as he is trying to get all the covers signed and I am trying to get all the covers unsigned.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I am able to help you replace that Unity #1 3-D with a 9.8 Blue Label. :thumb:

FlipMega
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

Whos got the 9.9? Dinesh?

Sorry I didnt see this sooner, I have been away for a while. I grabbed every copy of this book i could in the big sell-off following DMG announcement and subsequent staff exodus. Favorite character, favorite artist, one of favorite overall VEI books. Really hoped I could get a 9.9 out of the bunch but no go. Handful of 9.8 though, and I am more than happy and grateful. It would be hard to let one go if I am being honest!

Stoked that you found your book :clap:

I am also wondering what is with the price spike? Seems like just about any asset it going up right now (except bloodshot books..), people with extra money to spend I suppose, and books are way more fun than savings account or bonds lol

I would lose my mind to see a GOOD film with Divinity. Looks as though we will be waiting some time.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I can’t recall who bought the 9.9. I’m kicking myself for not buying it.

I did get an Eternity 1 9.9, which is my favorite VEI cover. I think the art in that series was the best so far, and David’s colors were so smart.

DirtbagSailor
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I have the CGC 9.9 Divinity #1 (LaRosa 1:40). :thumb:

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

And I have the CBCS 9.9 :)

FlipMega

Post by FlipMega »

nycjadie wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:26:15 am I can’t recall who bought the 9.9. I’m kicking myself for not buying it.

I did get an Eternity 1 9.9, which is my favorite VEI cover. I think the art in that series was the best so far, and David’s colors were so smart.
I can agree that cover is bananas, also a favorite of mine. You don't see colors like that done well very often. And I bet the cover looks even nicer with a little gold 9.9 8-) , congrats!

FlipMega

Post by FlipMega »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:35:00 pm I have the CGC 9.9 Divinity #1 (LaRosa 1:40). :thumb:
Nice, congrats! I should have guessed facepalm

FlipMega

Post by FlipMega »

AnarchoMambo wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:55:58 am And I have the CBCS 9.9 :)
:o well now I'm just starting to feel left out lol. Congrats on the book!

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

I’m probably way late on this...because I didn’t even know one existed.... but did y’all see there is a CGC 10 Bloodshot Brushed Metal #1 on EBay? :o

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Well, I just joined the 1:40 club. This arrived today along with the 1:20 #4. Given the popularity of the book, I didn’t think I was going to own one, much less one signed by Ryan Winn and David Baron in 9.8. Think what you want but I don’t care that it’s a green label. I’m very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Support your local farmers!***

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

geocarr wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:21:36 pm Well, I just joined the 1:40 club. This arrived today along with the 1:20 #4. Given the popularity of the book, I didn’t think I was going to own one, much less one signed by Ryan Winn and David Baron in 9.8. Think what you want but I don’t care that it’s a green label. I’m very happy.

Beautiful 1:40 geocarr! Congrats! :clap: These seem to be less and less available.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Juki wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30:05 am
geocarr wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:21:36 pm Well, I just joined the 1:40 club. This arrived today along with the 1:20 #4. Given the popularity of the book, I didn’t think I was going to own one, much less one signed by Ryan Winn and David Baron in 9.8. Think what you want but I don’t care that it’s a green label. I’m very happy.

Beautiful 1:40 geocarr! Congrats! :clap: These seem to be less and less available.
Damn, I was looking at that one, and didn't jump! Agree with the green label, I've seen their sigs, they're always the same, it would be cherished!
Moose

geocarr

Post by geocarr »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Juki wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30:05 am

Damn, I was looking at that one, and didn't jump! Agree with the green label, I've seen their sigs, they're always the same, it would be cherished!
Thanks guys!!

The seller listed it for auction twice starting at $325 and I missed the end of the first auction accidentally and hoped he would drop the starting bid to $300 but he didn’t and I didn’t want to chance it a third time.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

:hm: I think those other 3 comics you have in the picture are under-rated gems as well!

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Congrats! :clap:
#StayValiant

geocarr

Post by geocarr »

agent_graves wrote:

Congrats! :clap:
Thank you very much! Image

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

“As far as that 9.8 Sig Series, that one belongs to me as well (I think). It's signed by Justin Jordan (three times! Long story). Dude always is at ECCC, and is such a blast to chat with! If I can remember, I will take a pic of it when I get home from work today”
————————————————————————————————

In an effort to cast a net of positivity back on this board I am happy to say that I just received my Shadowman 13 1:50 Davis back from CGC as a CGC 9.8 S.S.