XO and Savage cancelled??

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
XO and Savage cancelled??

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Don’t want to build your hopes up too much but there’s a post on Twitter from Comic List showing Acclaim 2.0’s publishing plan over the next few months and it shows cancellations for XO and Savage!

Have they finally listened to the fans who pay money for the books? Probably not ...but let’s see

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Re: XO and Savage cancelled??

Post by betterthanezra »

That's interesting I just looked it up and that doesn't mean it won't just be put on the schedule again at a different date I assume

Your right we will see

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

betterthanezra wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:23:55 am That's interesting I just looked it up and that doesn't mean it won't just be put on the schedule again at a different date I assume

Your right we will see

-Brian
Yeah it might well be but until we know otherwise let’s enjoy the possibility

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I think this has more to do with the “pencils down” order and halt to publication during the Coronavirus outbreak than anything else. Savage was always going to be a limited series, so it’s not likely to get cancelled, and XO—as crappy as the reviews have been—is still their best selling, “flagship” title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

BugsySig wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:44:05 am ...XO—as crappy as the reviews have been—is still their best selling, “flagship” title
I do think it'd be a little funny if this version of XO only had a #1 and became a one-shot.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:44:05 am I think this has more to do with the “pencils down” order and halt to publication during the Coronavirus outbreak than anything else. Savage was always going to be a limited series, so it’s not likely to get cancelled, and XO—as crappy as the reviews have been—is still their best selling, “flagship” title.

In terms of Savage, Is it possible though that they heard fan reaction to the story and art was luke warm at best and decided to not put it out? That series must have had at least 2 issues finished surely?

As for XO, could that become a 6 issue mini if anything past issue 4 isn’t already complete? Again, fan reaction has been negative towards issue #1, why prolong the agony like they did with Bloodshot RS?

Speaking of Bloodshot, surely that must be up for cancellation soon?

Gregg-K
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Gregg-K »

I can't comment on release dates just yet, but SAVAGE #1 and X-O MANOWAR #2 are still on the way.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:14:53 am Speaking of Bloodshot, surely that must be up for cancellation soon?
But isn't Bloodshot the best selling ongoing title right now? We don't know where X-O is gonna land after the first issue bump.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Gregg-K wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:43:22 pm I can't comment on release dates just yet, but SAVAGE #1 and X-O MANOWAR #2 are still on the way.
They should pull Savage and re-think the whole approach. Let B. Clay Moore tell the next part of his story, get an artist with a closer style to Larosa and move away from the tedious comedic style books which seem prevalent now.

Make XO a 4 issue mini and have Aric wake up from a dream at the end where the alien armour isn’t a wise cracking side-kick!

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:07:44 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:14:53 am Speaking of Bloodshot, surely that must be up for cancellation soon?
But isn't Bloodshot the best selling ongoing title right now? We don't know where X-O is gonna land after the first issue bump.
Best selling but under 6000, let’s remember a Bloodshot film just came out in March and the sales are under 6k. The quality of the book is the real issue though, LADOTH was under 5k but was a classic.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

XO was their best selling book in March, but granted it was a #1. Looking back over the past 8 years though I believe XO has outsold Bloodshot consistently. It’s also up until now been the better book consistently (minus the Lemire run).

Can’t use the Bloodshot numbers from March (or any numbers in March really). People were a bit busy/distracted/overwhelmed/unemployed/unable to buy books. There was no movie bump because there basically was no movie. It spent a week in theaters no one was going to, was completely lost in the news cycle anyway, and then went to digital release. Had it been a “normal” movie release, I’m sure a higher bump might have occurred.

Bottom line is all the books settle between 2k-6k. That’s the market for most non Big-3, non-licensed property books aside from #1s. That’s why there’s so many #1s.

And, no, sorry, but no one at DMG cares what the fans think about the books unless they stop buying them. If they cancelled a book every time there was poor fan reaction that would be a pretty terrible business model. They’d never have a book hit the shelves! A lot of people here didn’t like the look and feel of Dr. Tomorrow and that’s turned out to be one of their better books in a while.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:43:06 pm XO was their best selling book in March, but granted it was a #1. Looking back over the past 8 years though I believe XO has outsold Bloodshot consistently. It’s also up until now been the better book consistently (minus the Lemire run).

Can’t use the Bloodshot numbers from March (or any numbers in March really). People were a bit busy/distracted/overwhelmed/unemployed/unable to buy books. There was no movie bump because there basically was no movie. It spent a week in theaters no one was going to, was completely lost in the news cycle anyway, and then went to digital release. Had it been a “normal” movie release, I’m sure a higher bump might have occurred.

Bottom line is all the books settle between 2k-6k. That’s the market for most non Big-3, non-licensed property books aside from #1s. That’s why there’s so many #1s.

And, no, sorry, but no one at DMG cares what the fans think about the books unless they stop buying them. If they cancelled a book every time there was poor fan reaction that would be a pretty terrible business model. They’d never have a book hit the shelves! A lot of people here didn’t like the look and feel of Dr. Tomorrow and that’s turned out to be one of their better books in a while.

February Bloodshot sales 5640 so I don’t think the low sales are COVID related. I think the Dinesh VEI sales were better than what we see now.

I think that’s the point that fans *are* stopping buying books yet there’s no change in approach? Not sure if this analogy works but isn't this a bit like when Coke tried to tell its customers that New Coke was better and they persisted with it until consumer backlash was that bad that they had to bring ‘Classic Coke’ back. They need to stop giving us New Coke...we don’t like it!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:43:06 pm XO was their best selling book in March, but granted it was a #1. Looking back over the past 8 years though I believe XO has outsold Bloodshot consistently. It’s also up until now been the better book consistently (minus the Lemire run).

February Bloodshot sales 5640 so I don’t think the low sales are COVID related. I think the Dinesh VEI sales were better than what we see now.

I think that’s the point that fans *are* stopping buying books yet there’s no change in approach? Not sure if this analogy works but isn't this a bit like when Coke tried to tell its customers that New Coke was better and they persisted with it until consumer backlash was that bad that they had to bring ‘Classic Coke’ back. They need to stop giving us New Coke...we don’t like it!
Numbers go down and series get cancelled. So it does work. But they have to put out at least a full arc at a time or it looks terrible. So even something we know sucks and isn’t going to last and isn’t selling is still going to be around for at least 4 issues.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:23:09 pm
Gregg-K wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:43:22 pm I can't comment on release dates just yet, but SAVAGE #1 and X-O MANOWAR #2 are still on the way.
They should pull Savage and re-think the whole approach. Let B. Clay Moore tell the next part of his story, get an artist with a closer style to Larosa and move away from the tedious comedic style books which seem prevalent now.

Make XO a 4 issue mini and have Aric wake up from a dream at the end where the alien armour isn’t a wise cracking side-kick!
Amen

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:23:09 pm Let B. Clay Moore tell the next part of his story, get an artist with a closer style to Larosa and move away from the tedious comedic style books which seem prevalent now.
I agree and I want a new Savage story that integrates other shared universe elements.
***Support your local farmers!***

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

geocarr wrote:I agree and I want a new Savage story that integrates other shared universe elements.
That’s what I was hoping would happen.

darkwingdan
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by darkwingdan »

BugsySig wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:44:05 am I think this has more to do with the “pencils down” order and halt to publication during the Coronavirus outbreak than anything else. Savage was always going to be a limited series, so it’s not likely to get cancelled, and XO—as crappy as the reviews have been—is still their best selling, “flagship” title.

Last I checked, reviews for XO were actually pretty good (https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-book ... r-(2020)/1).

I personally thought it was good except for the voice they gave Shanhara - it was like they were going for the dynamic between Booster Gold and Skeets. As for the whole question of continuity, we didn't find out what happened between the end of the Venditti run and the start of the Kindt run until issue #14 of the 2017 series, so I'm willing to let things unfold for a while.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

darkwingdan wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:41:03 am

Last I checked, reviews for XO were actually pretty good (https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-book ... r-(2020)/1).

I personally thought it was good except for the voice they gave Shanhara - it was like they were going for the dynamic between Booster Gold and Skeets. As for the whole question of continuity, we didn't find out what happened between the end of the Venditti run and the start of the Kindt run until issue #14 of the 2017 series, so I'm willing to let things unfold for a while.
These are critics looking for clicks, and thus are much harder to swallow. Say shiny happy things, and get printed in books, thus it brings more clicks (supposedly). Take a look back, there were shiny happy things said about Bloodshot: Rising Spirit.
Moose

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:52:42 am

These are critics looking for clicks, and thus are much harder to swallow. Say shiny happy things, and get printed in books, thus it brings more clicks (supposedly). Take a look back, there were shiny happy things said about Bloodshot: Rising Spirit.
Listen to VCR, we always keep it real.

darkwingdan
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by darkwingdan »

hawkeyeps wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:52:18 am
TheeBaldMoose wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:52:42 am

Listen to VCR, we always keep it real.
No worries, VCR is one of the staples of my podcast listening routine.

Hotwire
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Hotwire »

X-O Manowar crappy and being canceled?

Hahahahahaha!!!

Not surprised at all. What a loser!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Hotwire wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:27:57 pm X-O Manowar crappy and being canceled?

Hahahahahaha!!!

Not surprised at all. What a loser!
Have you been playing the long game all along?

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/x-o-m ... _kFsSNsJmc

So, X-O isn't coming back until August?
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:44:56 pm https://comicbook.com/comics/news/x-o-m ... _kFsSNsJmc

So, X-O isn't coming back until August?
With a new writer?! Is Vditti coming back?!? :P

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/list ... 05-06-2020

WOW! I did expect further delays and it's okay to wait for Diamond and be cautious but that's almost bold.

Letting us wait months for the #Hopeless guy not just once but twice. WTF!

How can I cancel my PRE-ORDER of X-O Manowar?