Acclaim X-O

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Acclaim X-O

Post by armlessphelan »

So, I recently bought and read the whole series. It was... Fine. Nowhere near as interesting or ground-breaking as the story of Aric of Dacia, but it wasn't the dumpster fire of, say, Magnus. I even enjoyed quite a bit of the Unity storyline.

But it was a surface level comic only. Nobody had characterization beyond randy scientist or ego-driven tech genius. When it ended I didn't find myself missing any members of the cast. Or remembering the names of most of them. And this was Mark Waid and Dwayne McDuffie! At least the title had a consistent artist in Scot Eaton.

I've often read that this book (along with Shadowman and Quantum and Woody) were the highlights of Acclaim. And if the highlight of the universe is utterly forgettable then I can see why the relaunched tanked so bad.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Acclaim X-O

Post by SwiftMann »

I recently re-read all of Acclaim over a couple months and agree with your assessment of X-O.

But anyone saying X-O, Shadowman, and Q&W are the highlights are crazy.

Q&W, yes. It holds up as a great book 20+ years later.

X-O is, as you say, "fine."

I thought Shadowman was absolute garbage.

Honestly, it was all the original stuff that fared better - Q&W, Doctor Tomorrow, Troublemakers, Trinity Angels (arguably). Turok and Solar had their moments of great fun, but also some duds. Bloodshot, EWs, Magnus, and Ninjak were all dumpster fires.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:45:39 am I recently re-read all of Acclaim over a couple months and agree with your assessment of X-O.

Honestly, it was all the original stuff that fared better - Q&W, Doctor Tomorrow, Troublemakers, Trinity Angels (arguably). Turok and Solar had their moments of great fun, but also some duds. Bloodshot, EWs, Magnus, and Ninjak were all dumpster fires.
Weirdly I thought the Garth Ennis Shadowman (with Ashley Wood on art) was the best run that character has had. It was Vertigo-esque which was what I hoped Valiant do with that character again, unfortunately none of the VEI attempts have been remotely interesting. The current Acclaim 2.0 version of Valiant give the next run of Shadowman to Cullen Bunn after the very average (at best) Punk Mambo and , it beggars belief what they make decisions based on. :?

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:38:08 pm
SwiftMann wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:45:39 am I recently re-read all of Acclaim over a couple months and agree with your assessment of X-O.

Weirdly I thought the Garth Ennis Shadowman (with Ashley Wood on art) was the best run that character has had. It was Vertigo-esque which was what I hoped Valiant do with that character again, unfortunately none of the VEI attempts have been remotely interesting. The current Acclaim 2.0 version of Valiant give the next run of Shadowman to Cullen Bunn after the very average (at best) Punk Mambo and , it beggars belief what they make decisions based on. :?
It was the Acclaim run that the video game was based on, no? That might play a role in the alleged fond memories.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I enjoyed Shadowman Accliam, and I never played the video game.
I am kinda a fan of Garth Ennis, but not all his work. Hit and miss for me. But shadowman Vol 2 and 3 I quite enjoyed ( voil 3 not garth ennis)

I am a huge Xo fan from issue 5. After the dream sequence and xo bike stuff at end of original run, I really enjoyed the relaunch from acclaim.
Even re reading Vol 2 it I felt it was still good, maybe because I read it directly after re reading vol 1.

When the VE1 relaunched xo I was and am super happy. Perfer long runs of books, xo in the valiant universe seems to be the strongest keeping its tille running. Have not read recent issue 1 (heard such bad reviews, may pick up as a set off ebay.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Ennis/Wood was only four issues of the 18(?) issue run. I noted those issues just gave a "hazy explanation of the set-up was too long and just devolved into obscenity for the sake of obscenity." And then most of it was undone/tweaked by Delano/Adlard. I think they may have been trying for a Vertigo vibe with the book, but, for me, it was a huge miss.

I did really like Vol. 3 though.

And, yeah, I'm at a loss for whatever VEI has been trying. There were moments in the original run. I know a lot of folks here liked the recent Diggle run (it didn't do anything for me). To me, VEI has spent WAY too much time trying to explain Deadside and make it logical and force the history of the characters. None of this stuff was the focus in the first three volumes, and while I didn't like Vol. 2, it wasn't straining at all times to explain everything.

Bunn will not fix this issue. I know folks always go back to "horror is what he does best." That may be, but it seems like just his horror without corporate guidance, cause I haven't read anything from Marvel or VEI by him that I've enjoyed.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

I enjoy the Acclaim Heroes VH-2 quite a bit but no X-O isn't one of the strong books from that run..

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:46:08 pm

It was the Acclaim run that the video game was based on, no? That might play a role in the alleged fond memories.
I think you might mean the 3rd iteration of Shadowman that Dan Abnett wrote?

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:56:05 pm

I've actually never read any Acclaim Shadowman, so I genuinely have no idea what about it folks enjoy. XD

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I rather liked the X-O/Operation Stormbreaker. Nice way of attempting to build a history for the version of the universe.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:56:05 pm

Same version of the character in Vol. 2 and 3.

Game came out in March 99. First issue of Vol 3 wasn't until late July.

No clue what game play story was like, but I got the sense from the ads that it was based on the Wood/Delano run

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Phantom wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:31:00 am I enjoyed Shadowman Accliam, and I never played the video game.
Seconded. Acclaim's Shadowman is pretty cool and I never cared for playing the game either.