Favorite DMG/Valiant Series?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Favorite DMG Series

Bloodshot Rising Spirit
No votes
Livewire
No votes
Incursion
14%
The Forgotten Queen
2%
Punk Mambo
9%
Fallen World
22%
Psi-Lords
2%
Killers
10%
Dr. Mirage
3%
Bloodshot
No votes
Roku
No votes
Rai
28%
The Visitor
No votes
Quantum & Woody!
2%
Dr. Tomorrow
9%

Total votes: 58

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Favorite DMG/Valiant Series?

Post by TheFerg714 »

Seeing as we won't have any new Valiant comics to talk about for a whole month (possibly forever?), I thought this would be fun.

I included everything that was published by DMG, starting with Valiant Beyond, with the lone exceptions of Faith: Dreamside and The Life and Death of Toyo Harada, for a couple reasons. 1) LaDoTH would obviously win, by a long shot, 2) both really feels like they were created before the buyout, 3) there was only 15 options available to choose from.

You can vote for 3.
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Favorite DMG/Valiant Series?

Post by Ramses818 »

Rai is the obvious winner of this poll as far as I am concerned. Toning they have done comes close to the excellence of that book. There is no weakness in that series (minor editorial misses, but nothing so much that it would require point deductions for.) starting at the writing continuing through every aspect of the completed product.

Just a point of fact LaDoTH was written well before the DMG takeover, so I will always consider it the last VEI comic published. Although I guess we could say the 2020 FCBD issue is the last VEI story ever published since it to was written years ago?

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:16:00 pm (possibly forever?),
Dang, that's grim. I think at least a few people will survive. A few months ago, I would have held out hope for some isolated Amazon tribe, but I worry we burned them all by accident right before we needed them. Maybe the Earth is trying to kiil us, after all.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Really behind in my reading. Voted for the only 1 I have read. Punk Mambo

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

When you see them all in a list it makes grim reading!

Only 3 of them worthy of note...

1) Fallen World
2) Rai
3) Incursion

And they were all just ‘solid’, nothing spectacular.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I even wonder if you can lump Incursion in there, as this outline was already set before the buyout. All they did was substitute Shadowman for Eternal Warrior. Maybe this still counts, but to me it's a VEI not VDMG publication
Moose

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37:33 pm I even wonder if you can lump Incursion in there, as this outline was already set before the buyout. All they did was substitute Shadowman for Eternal Warrior. Maybe this still counts, but to me it's a VEI not VDMG publication
Wait! Do you think that it would have STAYED Shadowman if VEI had continued uninterrupted? I haven't read Incursion yet but it seems to me that would have yielded a much different book
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Oxmyx wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22:10 pm
TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37:33 pm I even wonder if you can lump Incursion in there, as this outline was already set before the buyout. All they did was substitute Shadowman for Eternal Warrior. Maybe this still counts, but to me it's a VEI not VDMG publication
Wait! Do you think that it would have STAYED Shadowman if VEI had continued uninterrupted? I haven't read Incursion yet but it seems to me that would have yielded a much different book
Yes, it was designed to be a Shadowman book, and piggy back off of the series that was (at that time) ongoing. It was supposed to be a type of event, and if you read the book, you kind of get that feel. There were a bunch of other characters that showed up, to include Eternal Warrior coming back to earth (reborn?).
Moose

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I see that Rai is killing it above, and I wonder...

Are people more satisfied with the story because there simply isn't much in the way of continuity? Most of the Rai series that came before revolved around New Japan. There wasn't much regarding Earth, and what it had become. With this Rai story exploring most of Earth now, is an easier pill to swallow because we have nothing to go off of?

furthermore, shouldn't Fallen World be considered part of the Rai story? I mean, it transitioned Rai, Father, and all of its characters into what is the Rai story now.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:26:11 am I see that Rai is killing it above, and I wonder...

Are people more satisfied with the story because there simply isn't much in the way of continuity? Most of the Rai series that came before revolved around New Japan. There wasn't much regarding Earth, and what it had become. With this Rai story exploring most of Earth now, is an easier pill to swallow because we have nothing to go off of?

furthermore, shouldn't Fallen World be considered part of the Rai story? I mean, it transitioned Rai, Father, and all of its characters into what is the Rai story now.
I think the reason is lack of competition. Imagine this Rai in the list of books from 2017, it’s be middle of the road at best.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:26:11 amfurthermore, shouldn't Fallen World be considered part of the Rai story? I mean, it transitioned Rai, Father, and all of its characters into what is the Rai story now.
I thought about doing that, but I figured they were separate entities, even though one leads into the other. I can totally see someone enjoying Rai, but feeling like Fallen World was a let down, or vice versa.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:50:01 am I think the reason is lack of competition. Imagine this Rai in the list of books from 2017, it’s be middle of the road at best.
Hard disagree. 2017 was not VEI's best year. It had a few greats like Secret Weapons, (the beginning of) X-O Manowar, Britannia 2, and Stalinverse, but it also had a few duds like Faith and the Future Force, Harbinger Renegade, and Gen. Zero. More importantly though, 2017 contained a LOT of middle-of-the-road content. I would argue that it all adds up to a pretty solid year of entertainment, but most of these books are not VEI's best. Ninjak's final arc, Rapture, Faith, War Mother, Eternity, and most of the one-shots are all solid, but would go near the bottom of my ranking of VEI stories.

Abnett's Fallen World/Rai catapults past the middle-of-the-road titles, and settles in quite nicely with the best of 2017 imo.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:37:37 pm
TheeBaldMoose wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:26:11 amfurthermore, shouldn't Fallen World be considered part of the Rai story? I mean, it transitioned Rai, Father, and all of its characters into what is the Rai story now.
I thought about doing that, but I figured they were separate entities, even though one leads into the other. I can totally see someone enjoying Rai, but feeling like Fallen World was a let down, or vice versa.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:50:01 am I think the reason is lack of competition. Imagine this Rai in the list of books from 2017, it’s be middle of the road at best.
Hard disagree. 2017 was not VEI's best year. It had a few greats like Secret Weapons, (the beginning of) X-O Manowar, Britannia 2, and Stalinverse, but it also had a few duds like Faith and the Future Force, Harbinger Renegade, and Gen. Zero. More importantly though, 2017 contained a LOT of middle-of-the-road content. I would argue that it all adds up to a pretty solid year of entertainment, but most of these books are not VEI's best. Ninjak's final arc, Rapture, Faith, War Mother, Eternity, and most of the one-shots are all solid, but would go near the bottom of my ranking of VEI stories.

Abnett's Fallen World/Rai catapults past the middle-of-the-road titles, and settles in quite nicely with the best of 2017 imo.
Good point, that was the year of Valiant-lite. To be honest I just selected at random a year from the past to illustrate. Ok 2016 as a comparison

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

I enjoyed Fallen World A LOT. Haven't picked up Rai yet. Like what I've read of Dr. Tomorrow, and Punk Mambo was pretty fun. I know DMG gets a lot of flack on this board, but overall they're still one of the more solid publishers in comics. Definitely better than Marvel or DC.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:32:44 pm I enjoyed Fallen World A LOT. Haven't picked up Rai yet. Like what I've read of Dr. Tomorrow, and Punk Mambo was pretty fun. I know DMG gets a lot of flack on this board, but overall they're still one of the more solid publishers in comics. Definitely better than Marvel or DC.
Marvel and DC must be unreadable if they’re putting out worse books than Acclaim 2.0 :o

armlessphelan

Post by armlessphelan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:39:12 pm
armlessphelan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:32:44 pm I enjoyed Fallen World A LOT. Haven't picked up Rai yet. Like what I've read of Dr. Tomorrow, and Punk Mambo was pretty fun. I know DMG gets a lot of flack on this board, but overall they're still one of the more solid publishers in comics. Definitely better than Marvel or DC.
Marvel and DC must be unreadable if they’re putting out worse books than Acclaim 2.0 :o
I can only tolerate DC's elseworlds stuff. And Marvel is... Really bad. The X-Men stuff right now is an exception because every other part of the company I've read is trash. I own so many digital trades that I just don't even wanna bother with. :/
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

All that I've read of Marvel for the last year or so has been Miles Morales and Powers/House of X (just starting the main X-Men series), and those are both solid. Everything else looks like *SQUEE* though and I'm tired of giving Marvel infinite chances only to get burned by sh*t storytelling over and over again. Marvel sucks.

DC, on the other hand, is doing okay in my book, and much better than DMG can ever hope to achieve. Admittedly, I only read a few books from DC, so my perspective is skewed, but I've been very happy with what Scott Snyder has been doing, since New 52 Batman, through Metal, Justice League, and Year of the Villain. DC does events and major stories so much better than Marvel. Doomsday Clock, Venditti's Hawkman, Tomasi's Detective Comics, Jurgens' Nightwing, and Aquaman have all been great. Their Black Label books seem to be killing it as well. Only Fallen World/Rai and Incursion come anywhere near the quality of the five books I listed.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51:34 pm Good point, that was the year of Valiant-lite. To be honest I just selected at random a year from the past to illustrate. Ok 2016 as a comparison
Well let's compare, shall we!

"Great" 2016 Valiant Stories
Venditti's last two arcs of X-O
Lemire's Bloodshot: The Analog Man, Bloodshot Island, Bloodshot USA.
Operation: Deadside
Imperium's final arc
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Divinity II
4001 A.D. (the whole event)
Britannia
First two issues of Savage

Middle-of-the-road 2016 Valiant Stories
Siege of King's Castle
Faith's Mini and Ongoing
Dr. Mirage 2

2016 Valiant Duds
Fist & Steel
A+A
Gen. Zero
First two issues of Harbinger Renegade

So, comparing Rai/Fallen World to these books, I think I would rank it up there with the great books, however, it does have much more competition. I think it would come off as "just another great Valiant series," but I also think that, had Abnett picked up the reigns immediately after Kindt, we would all be talking about how his run was a worthy successor.

EDIT: I've only read it once, but after putting a little thought into it, I think I would actually rank it beneath the great stories, but above the middle-of-the-road stories.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I’d put Rai/Fallen World above Britannia but certainly below Lemire’s Bloodshot, Imperium and a few others. But compare the list overall to what we’ve had under Acclaim 2.0 shows a shocking drop in quality,

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:14:54 pm
All that I've read of Marvel for the last year or so has been Miles Morales and Powers/House of X (just starting the main X-Men series), and those are both solid. Everything else looks like *SQUEE* though and I'm tired of giving Marvel infinite chances only to get burned by sh*t storytelling over and over again. Marvel sucks.

DC, on the other hand, is doing okay in my book, and much better than DMG can ever hope to achieve. Admittedly, I only read a few books from DC, so my perspective is skewed, but I've been very happy with what Scott Snyder has been doing, since New 52 Batman, through Metal, Justice League, and Year of the Villain. DC does events and major stories so much better than Marvel. Doomsday Clock, Venditti's Hawkman, Tomasi's Detective Comics, Jurgens' Nightwing, and Aquaman have all been great. Their Black Label books seem to be killing it as well. Only Fallen World/Rai and Incursion come anywhere near the quality of the five books I listed.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51:34 pm Good point, that was the year of Valiant-lite. To be honest I just selected at random a year from the past to illustrate. Ok 2016 as a comparison
Well let's compare, shall we!

"Great" 2016 Valiant Stories
Venditti's last two arcs of X-O
Lemire's Bloodshot: The Analog Man, Bloodshot Island, Bloodshot USA.
Operation: Deadside
Imperium's final arc
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Divinity II
4001 A.D. (the whole event)
Britannia
First two issues of Savage

Middle-of-the-road 2016 Valiant Stories
Siege of King's Castle
Faith's Mini and Ongoing
Dr. Mirage 2

2016 Valiant Duds
Fist & Steel
A+A
Gen. Zero
First two issues of Harbinger Renegade

So, comparing Rai/Fallen World to these books, I think I would rank it up there with the great books, however, it does have much more competition. I think it would come off as "just another great Valiant series," but I also think that, had Abnett picked up the reigns immediately after Kindt, we would all be talking about how his run was a worthy successor.

EDIT: I've only read it once, but after putting a little thought into it, I think I would actually rank it beneath the great stories, but above the middle-of-the-road stories.
Jesus good god, look a that list of GREAT books!? I miss those days. Here we are arguing whether the single greatest thing DMG has done in over the 2 years they've had control is even worthy to sit in the middle of a list from a random year of VEI or if it falls under the lesser works list (I think it does). And that's the BEST thing they've done (and probable will ever do)

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I voted for Incursion, Punk Mambo & Fallen World.

It seems likely that RAI would edge out Punk Mambo for one of my 3 votes, but I haven’t read an issue of it yet so I can’t cast that vote (been buying digital copies of the issues to date, but haven’t gotten around to reading it yet).

Incursion also feels more like one of the last original crew VEI comics too, rather than VMG-era, so I was on the fence about voting for it as well... but since that story was altered and produced/published after the Great Ousting & Exodus, I guess it counts as a sort of hybrid pre-post DMG release.

Lots of lacklustre books on that list up there.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

What?! Is there any proof for that bold theory? Or aren't you just confusing Diggle's Shadowman and Incursion???

DMG took over in 12/2017 or 1/2018. Diggle's Shadowman ran from 2/2018 to 1/2019; Incursion then started in 2/2019. :hm:

Sunlight on Snow

#1-2 Rai/Fallen World
#3 Doctor Mirage (Anabasis -> Dead Can Dance -> :lol:)

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:56:59 am
What?! Is there any proof for that bold theory? Or aren't you just confusing Diggle's Shadowman and Incursion???

DMG took over in 12/2017 or 1/2018. Diggle's Shadowman ran from 2/2018 to 1/2019; Incursion then started in 2/2019. :hm:
It doesn't seem far fetched to me. It takes months to plan a series and get it going. I know the Shadowman was in place...i don't know if Incursion was but I would not be surprised if it was.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

I don't remember where I heard it, but it was my understanding that Incursion was supposed to be the conclusion to Shadowman, like Bloodshot USA was to Bloodshot Reborn. I thought it was supposed to be about a Deadside incursion that Shadowman and co. had to deal with.

Also, most of 2018 was already set in motion by the VEI crew. The first wholly DMG publications came out of Beyond Valiant.

Sunlight on Snow

TheFerg714 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:11:08 am

I don't remember where I heard it, but it was my understanding that Incursion was supposed to be the conclusion to Shadowman, like Bloodshot USA was to Bloodshot Reborn. I thought it was supposed to be about a Deadside incursion that Shadowman and co. had to deal with.

Also, most of 2018 was already set in motion by the VEI crew. The first wholly DMG publications came out of Beyond Valiant.
Hmm, but wasn't Incursion the final publication of said "Valiant Beyond"?

Ha, I found this.....
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... es-1118125

I believe this is not what Joe Illidge or someone from Valiant said. The "spinning out" is a misinterpretation from the Hollywood reporter based on Andy Diggle's name on the teaser. It's from June 7. On the same day other sites released the advanced solicitation and it didn't say anything about Shadowman except for "Andy Diggle (SHADOWMAN)". Of course, Valiant advertised it as an event book and some of us hoped/wished it would be an event starring Shadowman. But in interviews, later on, Diggle said the idea for Incursion came from Paknadel and he convinced him to write it as well, only helping his friend with the scripting. There is no way you could just exchange Gilad & Tama for Jack & Alyssa. What does Jack have to do with the Earth's life force?