Dr. Tomorrow #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Dr. Tomorrow #2 Discussion

Post by Oxmyx »

I enjoyed this issue a lot, although perhaps not as much as #1.

I agree with what VCR was saying...that Dr. Tomorrow should have known that a multiverse could potentially include friendly Saurians and Promethians and for him to attack immediately was unhero-like and perhaps oversimplified writing because it so neatly matches the trope.

I also agree with what VCR points out, that the perfectly and calmly assembled Valiant Heroes seems pretty unrealistic. Are we thinking Neela recruited them or Dr Tomorrow did? Or half and half?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Dr. Tomorrow #2 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

A bit simplistic, but a decent read. Comes off as very YA, but that’s kind of how it’s pitched, so that’s fine. Overall I am interested in seeing what happens next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

It seems to me that the YA aspect is extended to the unbelievably overpowered Dark Fluid or whatever it is.

Would GRATUITOUS be a useful word, here?

Didn't the story say that little vial destroys an entire UNIVERSE (a slice of the multiverse)

That makes Spock's Red Matter seem rather impotent.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Superhero, multiverse fun that Valiant rarely plays with. Good stuff that probably won't play well here.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Also this would seem to take place in the primary VU as DT says this is the first Neela he’s ever met. Not a guarantee as many universes are very similar.

Someone mentioned Hadrian wiping out Sting too easily, but then I went back to Faith & the Future Force where the Do-Bot (from an alt reality/timeline) easily takes him out as well. So it’s not without precedent. Especially if the entire Universe were to be destroyed by the same power source (dark fluid). We all know Pete doesn’t always think before he acts, often underestimates his opponents, and in the end is still a human being—albeit one with extensive Psiot powers—and still susceptible to injury and [physical] death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

I really like this series and the multiverse stuff....but I was a little surprised to see Rex the Razer. That needs some explaining. As of now he would be "the" reason for me to think it's not actually the main Valiant Universe because he's supposed to be a character from the Deadside, right? At the end of Rapture Tama asked Rex to keep looking after the Vine Binding that keeps Babel from getting away, and Rex said it's the least he could do. Doctor Tomorrow also mentions some or most universes are very similar.

Seeing Bloodshot seems to be a bit awkward, too.

Unfortunately, it'll take some months before this will be continued. Hopefully, it actually will be. :hope:

Who knows at this point?

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

This feels very ‘Acclaim’ to me. Cartoony art, overly simplistic story. I think introducing multiverse concepts the VU and another big gathering of all Valiant’s big hitters is totally cheapened and wasted on this lightweight book.

Turning to the story itself, the way young Bart and Gretchen just totally accepted the merit * of a super-hero and just went with it seemed ridiculously easy. The storyline involving Bart’s dad is probably the most interesting if a bit cliché. Having all of the Valiant heroes there seemed awkward and forced and you have to question why they let a first time writer access to all of the characters, maybe it’s because he’s a former Valiant editor?

If this was not part of Valiant continuity, like Valiant High, then I’d be more ok with it but given it is part of continuity I’d say it was a waste of crossing over characters, it’s too cheap.

2.75/5 - Acclaim 2.0

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

First book in awhile that I’ve looked forward to reading from Valiant. I really like this book, yea, the hero gathering wasn’t done that well, but the story is intriguing, so they get a pass from me on that one.

Hopefully the creators will get to finish the story at some point, with the pencils down mandate from Valiant, ain’t no telling what will become of these books. :?
#StayValiant

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23:55 am ... I was a little surprised to see Rex the Razer. That needs some explaining. As of now he would be "the" reason for me to think it's not actually the main Valiant Universe because he's supposed to be a character from the Deadside, right?
I have not read the Rapture books but I just listened to the Alejandro Arbona interview on Get Valiant! podcast #147 and he says specifically that the opening battle is an alternate universe while the main story is in the "proper Valiant Universe"

I'm not saying he's telling us the whole truth but that's what he said.

But you are exactly right...Rex needs to be explained.

Oh, and on my second reading I realized Neela (or a friend) did all the recruiting because the heroes haven't met DocT until he arrives at their group.

I'm very curious to see how GN-GR participates in an indoor battle.

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:30:44 pm Oh, and on my second reading I realized Neela (or a friend) did all the recruiting because the heroes haven't met DocT until he arrives at their group.
DocTom says it was Neela. She met most of them in FFF (Faith and the Future Force).

I just realized (again) Sunlight on Snow is there, too. Another interesting choice. He must now work for GATE then.

From the Foundation Zone, via the Himalayas, straight to GATE.

Sunlight on Snow

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:32:02 am
Oxmyx wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:30:44 pm Oh, and on my second reading I realized Neela (or a friend) did all the recruiting because the heroes haven't met DocT until he arrives at their group.
DocTom says it was Neela. She met most of them in FFF (Faith and the Future Force).

I just realized (again) Sunlight on Snow is there, too. Another interesting choice. He They must now work for GATE then.

Sunlight on Snow

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:32:54 am

I just realized (again) Sunlight on Snow is there, too. Another interesting choice. SOS must now work for GATE then.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

I just realized (again) Sunlight on Snow is there, too. Another interesting choice. He must now work for GATE then.

Too bad they missed out on including Quartz the rock alien being ridden by a Gen Zero kid (IIRC I haven't read Book of Death) or the robot chick or Red Brigade (another character I've only heard about so far) or the Korean superhero who fried in Quantum and Woody Must Die or alternative universe Woody in his turkey costume .

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Oxmyx wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:30:44 pm on my second reading I realized...
I just realized that Sunlight on Snow is there, too. Another interesting choice. He must now work for GATE then.
Listening to VCR podcasters talk about the new Q+W #1 I get the impression that the last we see Q+W was at the end of the last run (where they were enemies of GATE)? I haven't read those issues to know. If I understand correctly, looks like GATE has been making playing friendly, then.

Question...in the Get Valiant! Arbona interview, he mentioned Ninjak being "off the table" for writing purposes. That was talked about as if everyone listening would know why. Why?

Also, I took note during the Arbona interview he mentions some of his favorite editing jobs were on Book of Death: Harbinger and Dr. Mirage. And, those were the characters that were written to have dialogue while assaulting Hadrian. I see why now.

However, it is interesting to me that I see neither Sting NOR Dr. Mirage in #2. I assume Sting *might* be there conceptually because Faith and Torque appear to be there.

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04:40 am Listening to VCR podcasters talk about the new Q+W #1 I get the impression that the last we see Q+W was at the end of the last run (where they were enemies of GATE)? I haven't read those issues to know. If I understand correctly, looks like GATE has been making playing friendly, then.
Kinda long story but it ended with Q&W being on the run....from GATE.

Fact is UNITY is no more and Capshaw--with the help of XO--is (was) trying to find new members.

Unfortunately, the debut issue of the most recent XO series makes it look like Aric isn't with Capshaw/GATE anymore either.
Oxmyx wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04:40 am Question...in the Get Valiant! Arbona interview, he mentioned Ninjak being "off the table" for writing purposes. That was talked about as if everyone listening would know why. Why?
Ninjak quit being Ninjak at the end of Ninja-K (which I think was a proper ending for a series called "Ninja [MINUS] K").

He had also helped Livewire escape.
Oxmyx wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04:40 am Also, I took note during the Arbona interview he mentions some of his favorite editing jobs were on Book of Death: Harbinger and Dr. Mirage. And, those were the characters that were written to have dialogue while assaulting Hadrian. I see why now.

However, it is interesting to me that I see neither Sting NOR Dr. Mirage in #2. I assume Sting *might* be there conceptually because Faith and Torque appear to be there.
Or, maybe Pete is on a sabbatical.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:50:25 am
Oxmyx wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04:40 am I get the impression that the last we see Q+W was at the end of the last run (where they were enemies of GATE?)
Kinda long story but it ended with Q&W being on the run....from GATE.

Fact is UNITY is no more and Capshaw--with the help of XO--is (was) trying to find new members.

Unfortunately, the debut issue of the most recent XO series makes it look like Aric isn't with Capshaw/GATE anymore either.

...Or, maybe Pete is on a sabbatical.
It would be ironic if the last relic of the Capshaw continuity were in another title altogether.