Newly promoted senior editors...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Newly promoted senior editors...

Post by Ramses818 »

But what happened to Robert Meyers? Wasn’t he the senior editor? So do we have 3 senior editors? Who else are editors at Valiant? I thought there was only 3? Someone help me out here.

Sunlight on Snow
Re: Newly promoted senior editors...

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

His name isn't even mentioned....

http://valiantentertainment.com/2020/03 ... r-editors/

....really sounds as if the two ladies are going to replace him as "Senior Editorial Directors".

Other editors: David Menchel, Drew Baumgartner, and IIRC somebody else who was hired end of last year, hasn't done anything yet, and may already been gone again...who knows? :?
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Maybe some other company will be so impressed that it wants to hire these two talented young women away from Valiant? :hope:

I suppose, what follows can always be worse.

Sunlight on Snow

Meyers actually tweeted about their promotion...

https://twitter.com/robertmeyers/status ... 4587277312

It's just really weird the article isn't mentioning Meyers at all and quotes Fred Pierce instead.

But what isn't weird at the moment?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Maybe Meyers was promoted? That would be cool.

You don't often see two female editors side by side that often in this industry, but the most famous example to me are Ann Nocenti and Louise Simonson on some of the best comic books in the industry - Uncanny X-Men. At the time, that was the top comic in the universe.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

nycjadie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10:02 pm Maybe Meyers was promoted? That would be cool.

You don't often see two female editors side by side that often in this industry, but the most famous example to me are Ann Nocenti and Louise Simonson on some of the best comic books in the industry - Uncanny X-Men. At the time, that was the top comic in the universe.
I have a theory. I think DMG has a protocol where every time someone leaves they quickly announce a promotion or two before the news of the departure gets out so it looks like everything is okay. The sudden and unwarranted promotions (I have nothing against them, I'm sure they are super talented but neither has edited a book that was a hit recently that would warrent a promotion) make me think someone left. Rob Meyers nothing being mentioned makes him an obvious suspect for the person who resigned. Can someone tweet him and ask if he will be at Valiant next month?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Meyers got back to me and yes he is still working at Valiant, but I do think it's less on the senior editing side of things now.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Meyers is the Senior Editorial Director, so to my knowledge as Senior Editors, they answer to him. Editors and assistant editors would answer to Hawkins & Antos...
#StayValiant

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

It just all sounds strange to me. Very much like when I heard Mel was being let go. He told me he was “still there”. After the fact we all know what that means now. I just don’t like all the cloak and dagger games. I mean 3 senior editors on 6 or so books? I don’t know how much that title would mean if half the editorial staff are senior. Lol. Not to take anything away from the women, congratulations on their promotion, maybe they will still be there in a year or so?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:32:46 pm
nycjadie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10:02 pm Maybe Meyers was promoted? That would be cool.

I have a theory. I think DMG has a protocol where every time someone leaves they quickly announce a promotion or two before the news of the departure gets out so it looks like everything is okay. The sudden and unwarranted promotions (I have nothing against them, I'm sure they are super talented but neither has edited a book that was a hit recently that would warrent a promotion) make me think someone left. Rob Meyers nothing being mentioned makes him an obvious suspect for the person who resigned. Can someone tweet him and ask if he will be at Valiant next month?
I knew it!! Here we are 2.5 weeks later:

https://www.newsarama.com/49725-valiant ... press.html

Sunlight on Snow

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:44:50 pm I knew it!! Here we are 2.5 weeks later:

https://www.newsarama.com/49725-valiant ... press.html
Well, 3 Senior Editorial Directors for only 6 books would have been really weird; 2 already is.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

This company is a mess.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Great news that Meyers has left :high-five: ....bad news is that Antos and her cronies are in charge facepalm

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49:21 pm Great news that Meyers has left :high-five: ....bad news is that Antos and her cronies are in charge facepalm
Bad news? This is going to be the ultimate test for Antos. I honestly can't wait to see what happens.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28:24 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49:21 pm Great news that Meyers has left :high-five: ....bad news is that Antos and her cronies are in charge facepalm
Bad news? This is going to be the ultimate test for Antos. I honestly can't wait to see what happens.
What do you expect to happen? Anything to indicate it’ll be any better than under Meyers? I think it’ll be exactly the same as Meyers let the editors do what they wanted anyway.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58:37 pm
What do you expect to happen? Anything to indicate it’ll be any better than under Meyers? I think it’ll be exactly the same as Meyers let the editors do what they wanted anyway.
Oh, I expect it to be a trainwreck, but hopefully an entertaining trainwreck!

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

Well I posted back in March because we have seen it enough times already. Why the games? We have been the most hardcore dedicated fans...why not just say what is what. I mean I put in writing because I didn't want people thinking I was making this up after the fact. Sorry, just angers me that they do this crap to us.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33:21 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58:37 pm
Oh, I expect it to be a trainwreck, but hopefully an entertaining trainwreck!
Better to burn out than to fade away.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Valiant is under Fred Pierce's leadership now. He keeps saying that DMG doesn't interfere with anything, and gives them support to work independently. He is the one who knows the comic media better than anyone on the roster. I can only imagine it's him spinning the good news, and downplaying the seemingly bad.

Of all the feelings I've had about all the jobs I've left, the ones that last years beyond the departures are two: (1) the feelings of appreciate for the hard work and genuine desire for me to do great things somewhere else, and (2) the feelings of disappointment and hurt of ignominious kicks out the door. I know the latter is now about me, but about management. When management is kind, they celebrate you, because they care and are invested in you no matter where you are. When management is not kind, it's usually because they care far more about themselves, and how your departure reflects on them and perceived by others. They might be hurt you disagree with them on various things, or that you have better opportunities. They might be jealous of you taking a big gamble, or attention you might be receiving in your career. In a few cases, I've had managers try to sabotage my career. My last manager reminds me of Trump in this way: if someone disagrees with you, you try to destroy it. If you can't destroy the person, you destroy its reputation or you simply erase them - they don't exist.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Ramses818 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:53:14 pm Well I posted back in March because we have seen it enough times already. Why the games? We have been the most hardcore dedicated fans...why not just say what is what. I mean I put in writing because I didn't want people thinking I was making this up after the fact. Sorry, just angers me that they do this crap to us.
People essentially calling Heather a p.o.s. all along was probably not the best move if we want direct, honest communication. I don't expect she'll be jumping to give anyone here the scoop on anything behind the scenes, now that she's in charge and so many people have enthusiastically denounced her (for things she didn't even do in some cases). I wish her and Lysa the best and hope we will get more stuff along the lines of Rai which has been excellent.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

GammaJosh wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:36:37 am
Ramses818 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:53:14 pm Well I posted back in March because we have seen it enough times already. Why the games? We have been the most hardcore dedicated fans...why not just say what is what. I mean I put in writing because I didn't want people thinking I was making this up after the fact. Sorry, just angers me that they do this crap to us.
People essentially calling Heather a p.o.s. all along was probably not the best move if we want direct, honest communication. I don't expect she'll be jumping to give anyone here the scoop on anything behind the scenes, now that she's in charge and so many people have enthusiastically denounced her (for things she didn't even do in some cases). I wish her and Lysa the best and hope we will get more stuff along the lines of Rai which has been excellent.
I seem to remember it was Heather Antos denouncing half of America’s population as being p.o.s’, don’t recall anyone insulting her only criticising her professional choices.

Do you even read Valiant?

darkwingdan
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by darkwingdan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:49:22 am
I seem to remember it was Heather Antos denouncing half of America’s population as being p.o.s’, don’t recall anyone insulting her only criticising her professional choices.

To be fair, half of America's population are p.o.s.'s.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

darkwingdan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33:00 pm

Well that was a he!! of a first post ...
***Support your local farmers!***

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

geocarr wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:01:00 pm
darkwingdan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33:00 pm
Well that was a he!! of a first post ...
Joined the board five days ago. I wonder what his other board name is...

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

darkwingdan wrote:

:slow clap:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.