The Bloodshot Movie Reviews are in...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
The Bloodshot Movie Reviews are in...

Post by BugsySig »

...and they’re not great...

https://www.newsarama.com/49380-review- ... iesel.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Re: The Bloodshot Movie Reviews are in...

Post by geocarr »

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am clearly biased towards Valiant but that review almost seemed overly harsh and like the writer was somewhat beating a dead horse.
***Support your local farmers!***

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The snippets from Rotten Tomatoes. And these are the good AND bad critic reviews. Which, including the Newsarama one, pretty much all sound exactly like what the trailers looked like.

If Vin Diesel were a 12-year-old boy, he couldn't have dreamt up a better movie for his fan base than "Bloodshot."

When the best thing about an action movie is its use of a great but 43-year-old Talking Heads song, you know you're in trouble.

"Bloodshot" is a lively and amiably stupid action movie, given an extra dose of atmosphere by the presence of Vin Diesel.

A bewildering piece of good-bad sci-fi action trash.

But if Bloodshot honestly expects us to invest in the tragedy of Ray's predicament-his transformation into a mind-wiped army of one-Diesel isn't up to the task.

Diesel strikes the right balance of contemplation and meatheadedness, and Guy Pearce brings more conviction than is necessary...

Although Bloodshot has some fun and entertaining action on display, its poorly paced story and incredibly weak villains make it an underwhelming dud.

Bloodshot feels more like a bad adaptation of a possibly good video game (if one actually existed) than a worthwhile treatment to the comic book source material

If you ever wondered what Vin Diesel might be like playing The Terminator, Bloodshot has a few issues but offers enough entertainment in the way it delivers its own unique superhero experience.

Fans of the character will be far more accepting of the picture's shortcomings, but with competition in comic book cinema so fierce these days, it takes a lot more than repetitive laboratory conversations to deliver the goods.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Pull up any Vin Diesel movie and those same critics gave it the same score. They don't review the actual movie, they just review Vin Diesel, copy-and-paste, and sign the check. They want to get back to three hours of a deaf mute piano player falling in love with a deformed orphan teen in early 19th century rural England filmed in black and white from the perspective of the elderly grandmother. :P

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I enjoyed the version I saw very much and can’t wait to see the finished product.

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

greg wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:10:41 pm They want to get back to three hours of a deaf mute piano player falling in love with a deformed orphan teen in early 19th century rural England filmed in black and white from the perspective of the elderly grandmother. :P
That's hilariously true!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
***Support your local farmers!***

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Not sure if this is the designated spot to discuss the movie, but...

Just got back from seeing. It was the first screening at my local theatre...and there were about 10 people there.

The movie itself wasn’t bad, just a super generic paint by numbers action movie. Guy Pierce did a solid job but everyone else was TV movie quality. Some of the nanotechnology effects were decent (basically the ones in the trailer) but the effects for the last big fight were pretty bad...have to assume they were running out of funds and were picking their battles on were to spend. The plot...essentially if you have seen the first trailer you’ve seen the movie.

Overall I think I’d give it a C-.

I hope it makes a lot of money because I want more Valiant movies, but I ain’t getting my hopes up.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I mean they just announced The Witchhunter is getting a sequel so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

greg wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:10:41 pm Pull up any Vin Diesel movie and those same critics gave it the same score. They don't review the actual movie, they just review Vin Diesel, copy-and-paste, and sign the check. They want to get back to three hours of a deaf mute piano player falling in love with a deformed orphan teen in early 19th century rural England filmed in black and white from the perspective of the elderly grandmother. :P
You’re always giving the English a hard time Greg, if you’re not banging on about the war of independence then you’re criticising our 3 hour black and white films!! What’s up with that?!?
:P

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Double post
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:06:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

My expectations on the Bloodshot film are suitably in check, so I doubt I’ll be disappointed with it. Vin Diesel would never have been my first choice but he comes with an inbuilt audience and was probably a safe bet.

Could be the springboard to better films in the future ..time will tell!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd be less disappointed in a mediocre Bloodshot movie on it's own merits than I would be in having a mediocre Bloodshot movie not carry a planned Valiant franchise like it was supposed to.

That's not an observation of quality - I haven't seen it. I'm just responding to where I'm at if what I'm reading here is true. If it is, it's going to be a double whammy between merit performance as well as any losses from people simply not going to the movies amidst "the virus" right now.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

SJS4 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:42:56 pm Not sure if this is the designated spot to discuss the movie, but...

Just got back from seeing. It was the first screening at my local theatre...and there were about 10 people there.

The movie itself wasn’t bad, just a super generic paint by numbers action movie. Guy Pierce did a solid job but everyone else was TV movie quality. Some of the nanotechnology effects were decent (basically the ones in the trailer) but the effects for the last big fight were pretty bad...have to assume they were running out of funds and were picking their battles on were to spend. The plot...essentially if you have seen the first trailer you’ve seen the movie.

Overall I think I’d give it a C-.

I hope it makes a lot of money because I want more Valiant movies, but I ain’t getting my hopes up.
This! Except there were only 7 people.

SPOILER

Yes, I want more Valiant movies too. This didn't really feel like a "Valiant" movie. It's just someone who's supposed to be Bloodshot fighting against RST from beginning to end and at the end he's allowed to actually be like Bloodshot for 5 minutes, then the movie's over, and there's no cliffhanger whatsoever. It's also very obvious who turns out to be the good guy/s and who's actually not so dead. The movie's very predictable....even without the trailers.

What's up with the need of protein? In the movie, he's just being recharged like a battery. Stupid!

For an action movie most of the action sequences are lackluster for various reasons.

It's not a bad movie but it's certainly not a really good movie either.

And I do wonder what the "Bat in the Sun" crew would have done with a budget of $42 millions?

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Well it was a good film. But there was something missing for me. Heart and some charater growth.
I thought It was comic book accurate. Very epic felt like the pressure was on the whole time. Cant wait for my second viewing.
I think that guys rating was bang on. 6.5/10 I really liked the bad guy at rst.
I Miss the good old days.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I understand the points here. I too didn’t like some changes.. I would suggest though that when you have the opportunity, try and find out what was taken out of the movie when they took the rights to Paramount! That may change some people’s mind about the movie...especially the cliffhanger, it was a doozy!! :twisted: :cloud9: