Where are all the end of year awards for Valiant in 2019?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Where are all the end of year awards for Valiant in 2019?

Post by syzhang28 »

I haven't seen any this year? I feel like this has become a tradition for Valiant since they came back in 2012. Every year there are a lot of comic of the year etc awards. Is this another sign that DMG Valiant isn't being bought or liked as much as the books that Dinesh and co. made? I know Dinesh tweeted a few Best of the Decade awards this year but those were all books from his time in charge.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Where are all the end of year awards for Valiant in 2019

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

syzhang28 wrote:I haven't seen any this year? I feel like this has become a tradition for Valiant since they came back in 2012. Every year there are a lot of comic of the year etc awards. Is this another sign that DMG Valiant isn't being bought or liked as much as the books that Dinesh and co. made? I know Dinesh tweeted a few Best of the Decade awards this year but those were all books from his time in charge.
On the Get Valiant page as well as the Valiant Comics Fan page on FB, the fans are voting on all of the Best of 2019 right now, have been for a couple of weeks. Matter of fact, Get Valiant will be releasing the winners for 2019 tonight!
Moose

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:I haven't seen any this year? I feel like this has become a tradition for Valiant since they came back in 2012. Every year there are a lot of comic of the year etc awards. Is this another sign that DMG Valiant isn't being bought or liked as much as the books that Dinesh and co. made? I know Dinesh tweeted a few Best of the Decade awards this year but those were all books from his time in charge.
On the Get Valiant page as well as the Valiant Comics Fan page on FB, the fans are voting on all of the Best of 2019 right now, have been for a couple of weeks. Matter of fact, Get Valiant will be releasing the winners for 2019 tonight!
If I'm not mistaken, the question was more about Valiant being recognized in overall industry awards, rather than what was the best within Valiant.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

kjjohanson wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the question was more about Valiant being recognized in overall industry awards, rather than what was the best within Valiant.
right. i mean if valiant didnt win any best of valiant awards that would be really something :lol:

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

At a guess, I'd put this one down to lack of initiative within the Valiant senior management.

I'd imagine that nominations to various awards competitions usually stem from publisher entries into the contest, so if Valiant haven't put any entries forward this year then they naturally won't be in the running for any of them. :?

In any case, if Valiant haven't got anything into any of the awards competitions this year I think that's either a sign that the management are hard-focused on righting the ship and conciously chose not to divert their attention, or have incompetently failed to exploit this annual opportunity for marketing their product.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

In my industry, awards absolutely stem from publisher engagement. Not necessarily direct submissions, but engagement so that people know who they are, that they are producing good work, and here are the big wins of the year. I know that the Dinesh/Warren house was great at that. I would imagine Fred is doing that behind the scenes as well. He does know everybody.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Some VEI books were on Den of Geek’s top comics of the decade (The Valiant, Ivar Timewalker and Imperium). That’s about it though. Nothing DMG has been worthy of any awards. LADOTH would be the closest, but most of us would consider that to be the last VEI book because it was in the can before the takeover.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

As perhaps the only person on the board that seems to have enjoyed most of the DMG output (I would poop on Bloodshot: Rising Spirit like the rest of you though), I'd still be happy to suggest that whilst it's all been good, it's not been spectacular: not 'awards spectacular' for example.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

I, personally, loved the latest doctor mirage mini.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Shadowman99 wrote:As perhaps the only person on the board that seems to have enjoyed most of the DMG output (I would poop on Bloodshot: Rising Spirit like the rest of you though), I'd still be happy to suggest that whilst it's all been good, it's not been spectacular: not 'awards spectacular' for example.
I legitimately enjoyed Visitor #1 (, we'll see where that goes).
And wasn't Incursion mostly DMG according to a Dinesh post?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Oxmyx wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:As perhaps the only person on the board that seems to have enjoyed most of the DMG output (I would poop on Bloodshot: Rising Spirit like the rest of you though), I'd still be happy to suggest that whilst it's all been good, it's not been spectacular: not 'awards spectacular' for example.
I legitimately enjoyed Visitor #1 (, we'll see where that goes).
And wasn't Incursion mostly DMG according to a Dinesh post?
I think Incursion was originally planned under VEI and was supposed to be Shadowman-centric. It was changed to EW under DMG and wound up being OK, but not great.

The new wave of #1s has been mostly a good change, but the past year has been pretty lackluster outside of LADOTH (VEI really anyway) and some decent reviews for Doctor Mirage.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

You're not the only one. I've enjoyed almost everything.