I wonder if The Visitor is really a spider-alien

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
I wonder if The Visitor is really a spider-alien

Post by Oxmyx »

I wonder if there are spider aliens in the VEI VU. Obviously not in the manner of VH1 but maybe lurking around somewhere in the cosmos?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: I wonder if The Visitor is really a spider-alien

Post by BugsySig »

Oxmyx wrote:I wonder if there are spider aliens in the VEI VU. Obviously not in the manner of VH1 but maybe lurking around somewhere in the cosmos?
I believe they were shown in Rai father experimented on their race and the result was that one character who assisted In taking down New Japan.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

BugsySig wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:I wonder if there are spider aliens in the VEI VU. Obviously not in the manner of VH1 but maybe lurking around somewhere in the cosmos?
I believe they were shown in Rai father experimented on their race and the result was that one character who assisted In taking down New Japan.
Are you making a joke like me or is this seriously in VEI?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Oxmyx wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Are you making a joke like me or is this seriously in VEI?

From Rai #12

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

There's at least four Spider-like aliens in VEI:

1) The Vine
2) Izak's people/race
3) The blue-ish dinosaur-riding mechanical Spider Aliens in the Faraway
4) Plenty of references to Spider Aliens in Divinity/Eternity. In Divinity #1 the Vine look like they're supposed to be VEI's version of the First Among Equal and their goddess could be Lydia. Later in Eternity young Abram Adams looks at an old Sci-Fi picture featuring Spider Aliens that look closest to VH-1's original. Obviously, the entire Divinity saga is a homage to the VH-1's Solar and how Phil Seleski created the VU (see Solar #1-10 or Alpha & Omega)

Also worth mentioning, the line "Izak's having temper issues" (see pic above) is a homage to VH-1's Izak who wasn't a Spider Alien but some sort of shapeshifter who turned into a robot-killing monster when he got angry..... "KILL ALL ROBOTS!"

The story of VEI's Izak and his people is told at the beginning of Rai #6.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Hey guys, I appreciate all this info because I really had no idea on most of it. I loved VH1 4001 runs but I'm still working on a basic VEI backlog mostly and have put all VEI 4001 on a mental back burner.

Fascinating stuff. Are the Vine mentioned in 4001?

This thread is the first I've heard of the reboot of Izak. He's still getting "toasty" I see. Did they reboot anyone else I didn't know about? Clane? Leeja? Mothergod? Noah Lazlo? Mekman? Tekla?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Oxmyx wrote:Hey guys, I appreciate all this info because I really had no idea on most of it. I loved VH1 4001 runs but I'm still working on a basic VEI backlog mostly and have put all VEI 4001 on a mental back burner.

This thread is the first I've heard of the reboot of Izak. He's still getting "toasty" I see. Did they reboot anyone else I didn't know about? Clane? Leeja? Mothergod? Noah Lazlo? Mekman? Tekla?
Just Spylocke. Most of the Magnus cast would be off limits.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Spylocke shows up? Oh cool. I started this whole thread poking fun at the similarly cloaked unrevealed mysterious figure that is VEI The Visitor, comparing him obliquely to Spylocke, but now it all comes full circle.

Although I assume this new Spylocke hasn't been revealed as a Spider Alien (yet).

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote:Hey guys, I appreciate all this info because I really had no idea on most of it. I loved VH1 4001 runs but I'm still working on a basic VEI backlog mostly and have put all VEI 4001 on a mental back burner.

Like Bugsy said they cannot make use of any of the GK3 characters.

There's another female character in Abram Adam's childhood memories that many believe to be a reference to Mothergod though.

I think that's in the final issue of the Stalinverse; Div III #4.

VEI's Izak appears in half of Kindt's Rai issues as he is accompanied by the rogue-PT Momo.
Very likely Momo's meant to be a replacement for the rogue Freewill (W-23) who becomes Tekla.

The far future timeline--with or without Magnus--is one of the most intriguing aspects of the Valiant Universe. There's endless of potential story lines. Maybe we'll even see Izak's people again...? (No further spoiler!)

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Oxmyx wrote:Spylocke shows up? Oh cool. I started this whole thread poking fun at the similarly cloaked unrevealed mysterious figure that is VEI The Visitor, comparing him obliquely to Spylocke, but now it all comes full circle.

Although I assume this new Spylocke hasn't been revealed as a Spider Alien (yet).
Nope, the VEI version is some kind of super spy lineage character to Ninjak.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:Hey guys, I appreciate all this info because I really had no idea on most of it.
Mothergod?
Like Bugsy said they cannot make use of any of the GK3 characters.

There's ... many believe to be a reference to Mothergod though

The far future timeline--with or without Magnus--is one of the most intriguing aspects of the Valiant Universe. There's endless of potential story lines. (No further spoiler!)
On a copyright note, did Mothergod or Erica Pierce appear in Gold Key? My assumption was no. Did Leeja Clane? I know she was in Vintage Magnus...I've never been clear on whether Vintage Magnus is reprinted Gold Key or something else.

But what I think you meant (correct me if I am wrong) is that Mothergod being from a GK3 title is a tad borderline on the legal scene despite being clearly not Gold Key. And it is better safe than sorry when being sued

I agree the 4001 stuff is part of what makes the VU special. And I agree it has a ton of potential. Potential I think has been barely scratched.

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote:On a copyright note, did Mothergod or Erica Pierce appear in Gold Key? My assumption was no. Did Leeja Clane? I know she was in Vintage Magnus...I've never been clear on whether Vintage Magnus is reprinted Gold Key or something else.

I agree the 4001 stuff is part of what makes the VU special. And I agree it has a ton of potential. Potential I think has been barely scratched.
Good point about Mothergod. Erice Pierce aka Mothergod was certainly not a Gold Key character. Shooter added her to Solar just like Izak and Spylocke were added to Magnus. My bad. The others are definitely Gold Key characters: Senator Clane, Leeja Clane, 1A, Danae (who later re-appeared in VH-1's Psi-Lords), Gail Sanders, H8, Laszlo Noel, M'ree, Mekman, President Claybourne, Xyrkol, and more. Andar also is a GK character, and the "Lost Valley" first appeared in GK's Four Color Comics, too.

All "Vintage..." and "The Original..." titles reprint original GK stories.
Some were recolored and reformatted (speech balloons) and given a new cover design (but not all of them IIRC).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

There’s the general issue of “derivative” characters (like Dr. Eclipse to Solar). Even Mothergod could be considered a derivative. Dino and co never went into it much, but basically they MIGHT have been able to use characters like Erica Pierce, but it wasn’t worth any POTENTIAL legal issues. Better to create a new archetype (Divinity, Savage, etc).

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

BugsySig wrote:There’s the general issue of “derivative” characters (like Dr. Eclipse to Solar). Even Mothergod could be considered a derivative. Dino and co never went into it much, but basically they MIGHT have been able to use characters like Erica Pierce, but it wasn’t worth any POTENTIAL legal issues. Better to create a new archetype (Divinity, Savage, etc).
I think Dino was traumatized by the whole copyright battle out of the gate. I would be too!

But on thinking on it, I can't see any reason that Izak is any more or less derivative than Mothergod.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Reading through this thread I had forgotten about the PT characters from Rai. I knew there was a reason I really liked the Android characters in Detroit: Beyond Human - they are almost identical in idea/design, including a little glowing ring on the heads to delineate the androids from humans.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote:
BugsySig wrote:There’s the general issue of “derivative” characters (like Dr. Eclipse to Solar). Even Mothergod could be considered a derivative. Dino and co never went into it much, but basically they MIGHT have been able to use characters like Erica Pierce, but it wasn’t worth any POTENTIAL legal issues. Better to create a new archetype (Divinity, Savage, etc).
I think Dino was traumatized by the whole copyright battle out of the gate. I would be too!

But on thinking on it, I can't see any reason that Izak is any more or less derivative than Mothergod.
Mothergod is the result of Phil Seleski's actions. There would be no Mothergod without Solar and no UNITY without Mothergod. To make use of the (super)name Mothergod someone needed to come up with a story as epic as UNITY and UNITY basically is the second part of the creation of the original hence Jim Shooter's Valiant Universe.

Izak and Spylocke are minor characters who just showed up in MRF at some point.

Mothergod >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spylocke > Izak

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Oxmyx wrote:

Mothergod is the result of Phil Seleski's actions. There would be no Mothergod without Solar and no UNITY without Mothergod. To make use of the (super)name Mothergod someone needed to come up with a story as epic as UNITY and UNITY basically is the second part of the creation of the original hence Jim Shooter's Valiant Universe.

Izak and Spylocke are minor characters who just showed up in MRF at some point.

Mothergod >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spylocke > Izak
Yeah. She’s a derivative because she was the female equivalent to Solar. Spylocke was a spider alien and therefore a derivative of an existing VALIANT IP.