A Sound of Thunder Kickstarter: New Valiant Song & Exclusive

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
A Sound of Thunder Kickstarter: New Valiant Song & Exclusive

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

New Kickstarter campaign for ASoT's 10th anniversary album "Parallel Eternity".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/as ... sary-album

Including a new song "Break Free" inspired by Rai with lyrics from the band and series writer Dan Abnett. How *SQUEE* cool is that?!?

Plus an exclusive variant cover for Rai #1 by Paul Pelletier. A homage to Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time". :clap:

Plus the $100 pledge for all the Valiant metal heads who may have missed the band's previous Kickstarter campaigns. The "Get Valiant" package includes all 6 exclusive variants (BOD, Wrath, Punk, Punk BW, Rai, Rai Virgin), 4 CDs (Second Lives, Tales from the Deadside and the new one), plus more, and more Merch, and maybe another 7'' picture disc @ $57.500.

And @ 60k the band will be touring Catalonia next year.

Campaign ends on November 25, 2019.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson
Re: A Sound of Thunder Kickstarter: New Valiant Song & Exclu

Post by GammaJosh »

Thanks for posting this, SoS! Yes, we're back with a new Valiant collaboration!

This one is super cool for two reasons:

1) Dan Abnett wrote the lyrics for the new song with us, marking the first time a series writer has collaborated with us on lyrics. (We worked with editor Alejandro Arbona on previous Shadowman and Doctor Mirage stuff, but never with Justin Jordan, Peter Milligan or Jody Houser directly.) It turns out Dan is quite a big music fan, is especially into Rush, and delivered a fantastic set of lyrics that get right at the heart of Rai and Father. There will be some commentary on the song coming from Dan in a press release pretty soon.

2) We got to introduce Paul Pelletier for his first Valiant work! I'm a big fan of Paul's. He is one of my favorite Hulk artists, and he's done a lot of other great stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy and Batgirl. Paul is also a huge fan of metal, especially the progressive & power metal niche, and happened to already know our band. We met him at a convention when we put out our own graphic novel and he came over to buy it! Paul did an absolutely badass homage to Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time album cover. I'd also like to point out that, since we're on the cover, ASoT is now officially canon in the Valiant universe! :D

A couple things to note about the various items:
- The comics are Kickstarter-exclusive. We are already past the final order cutoff for Rai #1. Quantities are 500 regular, 200 throwback trade dress, and they will likely all be taken by Kickstarter backers this time. We had 878 backers on our last album campaign. I don't know if we'll hit those numbers this time, but there is a very high likelihood that every copy of the regular version will be claimed. (Any leftovers will be offered to backers first.) So definitely back the Kickstarter if you want one.

- We adjusted the stretch goals so that we can add a free Rai picture flexi disc if we hit $52,500. If we hit $57,500 we'll upgrade that to a non-flexi picture disc. In either case these will be free for all backers getting the $35 package or higher. If we hit the goal, everyone gets them!

- We have switched out the advertised virgin cover for a throwback tradedress cover. I asked and people said that would be cooler. There's a virgin print included with the higher packages anyway. Throwback tradedress print run is 200. These are going to backers at $80 packages and higher. 109 are claimed with 20 days to go.

- As usual most of the comics are going to our fans who mostly don't collect comics. We do this to help put Valiant comics into the hands of new readers. But as a consequence most of these comics 1) end up with unverified signatures (ours), and 2) never reappear on the comics market because our fans just aren't buying and selling comics. So the print-runs may be 500 and 200, but their availability after the campaign will be more like comics with lower print runs.

- We changed up our big "Cover Song Deluxe" and "Acoustic Cover Song" rewards this time to add an option for an original song on the topic of your choice. That technically opens the door if anyone wants to sponsor a song about a particular character or story. Those rewards are sold out as we didn't want to over-commit by offering too many, but if anyone on the boards wanted to do another Valiant song, we could talk about making time for that.

That's it! As always it was a joy to be inspired by the Valiant characters and stories and have it result in some new music that we're very proud of! We are still 100% independent, none of us take a salary from the band, and are just in this to keep doing fun projects like this. So if you'd like to see us continue, we'd very much like to have your support on the Kickstarter! Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/as ... sary-album

Cheers,
Josh

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

If I already have all your previous Valiant covers (plus all the CDs, DVDs, etc that came with them) and I am only interested in the two new Rai covers and nothing else which is the package to back?

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

magnus20009 wrote:If I already have all your previous Valiant covers (plus all the CDs, DVDs, etc that came with them) and I am only interested in the two new Rai covers and nothing else which is the package to back?
You have two options!

1) Back the $85 package. This is the first package that includes the throwback trade dress version. This also includes: the new album on 2CD, double-vinyl, deluxe booklet, t-shirt, your name in the album credits, the "swag pack" (small items like patches & stickers, tbd), and the modern trade dress version of Rai #1.

2) Back the $35 package which includes the modern trade dress version, and plan to add-on the throwback trade dress version after the campaign if there are any left. The throwback trade dress version will probably be $30 so this will save you a few bucks, but you won't get the vinyl or t-shirt. If we have 200 backers or more at the $85 level or above, the throwback version will sell out and not be offered after the campaign, but so far the backer numbers are down from our last campaign and it looks like there will be some left over!

Hope that helps! Thanks for supporting our previous and current campaigns!!!!

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Well we've got 7 days left and look like we might have a chance at hitting that "free Rai picture flexi disc" stretch goal. Basically if you're in any tier that includes our Rai variant, you will get the vinyl picture flexi for free, provided we hit the stretch goal of $52,500. If anyone wants to get in there and help make it happen, now is the time! Kickstarter link: http://kck.st/2MYaAX0

We've also scheduled a premiere of "Break Free (Theme from Rai)" for 1pm EST tomorrow (Tuesday). You can join in the live premiere and chat here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWP4svlONg (It will also premiere on our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/ASoundOfThunder/)

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

GammaJosh wrote:
magnus20009 wrote:If I already have all your previous Valiant covers (plus all the CDs, DVDs, etc that came with them) and I am only interested in the two new Rai covers and nothing else which is the package to back?
1) Back the $85 package. This is the first package that includes the throwback trade dress version. This also includes: the new album on 2CD, double-vinyl, deluxe booklet, t-shirt, your name in the album credits, the "swag pack" (small items like patches & stickers, tbd), and the modern trade dress version of Rai #1.
It is correct that the $100 "Get Valiant" package is the same as the $85 package PLUS it includes everything else you've released to date (including several comics) for the extra $15, right? :cloud9:
That seems like a no-brainer to me. :thumb:

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

greg wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:
It is correct that the $100 "Get Valiant" package is the same as the $85 package PLUS it includes everything else you've released to date (including several comics) for the extra $15, right? :cloud9:
Not quite! It doesn't contain the Parallel Eternity vinyl or t-shirt, but you can add those separately at the end if you want. Here's what the "Get Valiant" package does have:

- Parallel Eternity (new album) 2CD
- Parallel Eternity oversized print booklet w/ your name in the credits (this is essentially a comic trim-size book with lyrics, art, photos, etc.)
- Rai single
- Rai #1 Iron Maiden homage variant (BOTH versions)
- Tales from the Deadside vinyl
- Tales from the Deadside CD
- Punk Mambo/Tower of Souls picture vinyl
- Second Lives CD
- Punk Mambo #1 variant (BOTH versions)
- Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 variant
- "Swag Pack" (stickers, patches, magnets, etc., tbd)

So a 2CD set, 2 additional CDs, one double-vinyl album, one vinyl picture disc, 6 variant comics (2 low-print run), the deluxe booklet, your name in the credits, and some extra small items.

We'd love to include the t-shirt and new vinyl double-album with all that, but that's the best we can do for $100! The backer survey at the end will include the option to add on items like the vinyl, t-shirt, more comics, etc, and we'll invoice you via Paypal for any difference.

greg

Post by greg »

GammaJosh wrote:
greg wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:
Not quite! It doesn't contain the Parallel Eternity vinyl or t-shirt, but you can add those separately at the end if you want. Here's what the "Get Valiant" package does have:

- Parallel Eternity (new album) 2CD
- Parallel Eternity oversized print booklet w/ your name in the credits (this is essentially a comic trim-size book with lyrics, art, photos, etc.)
- Rai single
- Rai #1 Iron Maiden homage variant (BOTH versions)
- Tales from the Deadside vinyl
- Tales from the Deadside CD
- Punk Mambo/Tower of Souls picture vinyl
- Second Lives CD
- Punk Mambo #1 variant (BOTH versions)
- Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 variant
- "Swag Pack" (stickers, patches, magnets, etc., tbd)

So a 2CD set, 2 additional CDs, one double-vinyl album, one vinyl picture disc, 6 variant comics (2 low-print run), the deluxe booklet, your name in the credits, and some extra small items.

We'd love to include the t-shirt and new vinyl double-album with all that, but that's the best we can do for $100! The backer survey at the end will include the option to add on items like the vinyl, t-shirt, more comics, etc, and we'll invoice you via Paypal for any difference.
OK, but if someone was looking for the (official) Valiant comics, they do get both of the new Rai #1 books (including the throwback version) and four additional Valiant books (two Punk Mambo #1, Book of Death #3, Wrath of EW #1) for the $100 pledge, vs. just two Rai #1 books for the $85 pledge, right? :hope:

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

greg wrote:OK, but if someone was looking for the (official) Valiant comics, they do get both of the new Rai #1 books (including the throwback version) and four additional Valiant books (two Punk Mambo #1, Book of Death #3, Wrath of EW #1) for the $100 pledge, vs. just two Rai #1 books for the $85 pledge, right? :hope:
That is correct!!!

greg

Post by greg »

GammaJosh wrote:
greg wrote:OK, but if someone was looking for the (official) Valiant comics, they do get both of the new Rai #1 books (including the throwback version) and four additional Valiant books (two Punk Mambo #1, Book of Death #3, Wrath of EW #1) for the $100 pledge, vs. just two Rai #1 books for the $85 pledge, right? :hope:
That is correct!!!
Good. I didn't want to "downgrade" my existing pledge to $85. "Get Valiant" ($100) for me. :thumb:

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

THANK YOU!! We all really appreciate the support. We had a slow day today so I'm starting to question whether we will hit that $52,500 for the Rai flexi discs, but I'm going to do my best to make it happen! Heck, I want one for myself!!!

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Well, stay tuned for news on a potentially much rarer than planned variant. UPS damaged a HUGE percentage of our Rai #1 variants. Like half of them. Mostly the classic trade dress. 130 survived between the retailer and the VEI office. I'm waiting to hear if a reprint can be arranged.

Did I mention UPS can kiss my *SQUEE*?

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

GammaJosh wrote:
You have two options!

2) Back the $35 package which includes the modern trade dress version, and plan to add-on the throwback trade dress version after the campaign if there are any left. The throwback trade dress version will probably be $30 so this will save you a few bucks, but you won't get the vinyl or t-shirt. If we have 200 backers or more at the $85 level or above, the throwback version will sell out and not be offered after the campaign, but so far the backer numbers are down from our last campaign and it looks like there will be some left over!

Hope that helps! Thanks for supporting our previous and current campaigns!!!!
One other question. Can I just back the $1 pledge and then add the two Rai comics (if any are left) when the campaign finishes?

I already have all the other Valiant covers you have produced and to be honest I have not even opened any of the CDs or DVDs I have received from your prior campaigns so any more discs would be wasted on me. (There are only so many hours in a day and I am just not a music person - if it makes you feel better in the last 15 years the only CDs/tracks/music I have purchased has been from your kickstarter campaigns).

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Short answer is yes, IF we they aren't all claimed by other backers. So far it looks like we will have some left. You can keep an eye on it yourself by adding up the backers at $35 and up for the regular cover, and $85 and up for the classic trade dress version.

We're less than $4000 away from hitting the "free Rai picture vinyl" goal! You can back for $39 to cover both variants and shipping but select the $1 reward. That way you pay the same but it counts towards the stretch goal! (If you back for $1 and pay for the comics later your money won't raise the campaign total.)

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

OH! Forgot to add that Valiant stepped up and is reprinting the classic trade dress version to replace those damaged by UPS. Yay!

Also, we are going to be VERY close to hitting that free Rai flexi disc stretch goal. We're only $3,700 away. That may sound like a lot, but the average pledge on the campaign is over $50, so we can make it happen if we can get about 70 more backers! Anyone who's already in and wants the flexi disc, go spread the word and try to wrangle some more backers!

Here's the link again: http://kck.st/2MYaAX0

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

The campaign shot up to $50,180 today. We're getting close enough to that $52,500 for the free Rai flexi disc. If you're on the fence, keep an eye on the campaign on Monday. If we're just under $52,500 one or two people getting off the fence could potentially put us over so everyone can get the Rai flexi record!

http://kck.st/2MYaAX0

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Hnng! 21 hours left! We're at $51,400+. The Rai picture vinyl will happen if we hit $52,500! So close! http://kck.st/2MYaAX0

UPDATE: $51,560

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Thanks for posting info here.
Backed your kickstarter :thumb:
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Phantom wrote:Thanks for posting info here.
Backed your kickstarter :thumb:
Thanks, Phantom! And just to let everyone know, we hit that stretch goal last night to add a free Rai picture flexi record for all backers at the $35 tier and up! So you won't see that listed in the rewards, as it was an extra item added later in the campaign, but we'll be including it in all those packages as a free bonus!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I always thought the Estelada Blava was a particularly good looking flag.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

This campaign is in the books! Thanks so much to everyone who backed it! I'm really pleased with how the Rai song and our variant cover turned out, and that we hit that stretch goal for the flexi vinyl! Total success! We even ended with exactly 666 backers! :twisted:

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Congrats on the campaign and its success.

When you add the 2 Rai covers for backers to get I will add them to my pledge.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

GammaJosh wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:18:29 am Short answer is yes, IF we they aren't all claimed by other backers. So far it looks like we will have some left. You can keep an eye on it yourself by adding up the backers at $35 and up for the regular cover, and $85 and up for the classic trade dress version.

We're less than $4000 away from hitting the "free Rai picture vinyl" goal! You can back for $39 to cover both variants and shipping but select the $1 reward. That way you pay the same but it counts towards the stretch goal! (If you back for $1 and pay for the comics later your money won't raise the campaign total.)
I see it opened to add items to pledges and in the list of add ins you have the two Rai books where my reason for backing the campaign and want to purchase.

However when I go to the backers survey to add them they are not there.

Imagewhere to upload pictures

GammaJosh
Re: A Sound of Thunder Kickstarter: New Valiant Song & Exclusive

Post by GammaJosh »

Yep, that is just an error on my part and unfortunately the surveys can't be edited once sent out. We have very few copies left and I reasoned that we should reserve them for higher tier backers. But I had forgotten that a few people were in the $1 tier specifically so that they could get copies of our Rai variant.

Anyone else seeing this who's in on the campaign, just write whatever you want in the text portion of your survey. I'll make sure Valiant fans have access to copies, and I'm saving the nicest copies for collectors. (In fact some copies came in damaged and our non-comics-collecting metalhead fans volunteered to take the damaged copies so you all could get the nice ones.)