How much would you pay for a Hulk 181 with no Marvel Stamp?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shaxper
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
How much would you pay for a Hulk 181 with no Marvel Stamp?

Post by shaxper »

I've got the opportunity to pick one up on a second chance offer (less than 24 hours remaining). It looks like its otherwise in the 8.8 to 9.4 range, but it's missing the all-important Marvel Stamp on the inside. I can get it for $190.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Well, it depends on how important that stamp is to you - personally, if I had a chance to pick up that nice of a copy at that price, I'd do it. But that's just me.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Eric Jackson
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Eric Jackson »

i'd pick one up like that for 190 as well.

skiw
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by skiw »

You could probably sell it for more than that if you had it slabbed, so I would do it. If I recall correctly, there have been copies submitted to CGC with the stamp missing that came back with a blue label (I think I saw this on the CGC boards). Who knows, you might get lucky.

Peter Parker
No Longer A Registered User
Re: How much would you pay for a Hulk 181 with no Marvel Sta

Post by Peter Parker »

shaxper wrote:I've got the opportunity to pick one up on a second chance offer (less than 24 hours remaining). It looks like its otherwise in the 8.8 to 9.4 range, but it's missing the all-important Marvel Stamp on the inside. I can get it for $190.
What exactly IS an 8.8 :?

Shax has already admitted he cannot grade that well, so i'll doubt this book is clean enough to grade a CGC 9.4 :roll: Almost always, a missing Value stamp garners a GREEN qualified label regardless :|
"Leisure, is the mother of philosophy"

Thomas Hobbes

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

an 8.8 is the earthquake they've been waiting for in cali since before i was born...duh...

Peter Parker
No Longer A Registered User

Post by Peter Parker »

dave wrote:an 8.8 is the earthquake they've been waiting for in cali since before i was born...duh...
:lol: ... :funnypost:

:thumb:
"Leisure, is the mother of philosophy"

Thomas Hobbes

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I sold one in VG/F no MVS for $191 about two years ago on ebay.
:hm:

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

So, shaxper, are you going to buy it?

-slym (just curious)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

Yeah--before opening this thread my immediate thought was $200.

Missing stamp turns a VF+ into a VG, right? On the one hand, this is a common & overpriced boook; on the other, it's the first appearance of a kick-*SQUEE* character & would be cool to own a nice-looking copy.

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

slym2none wrote:So, shaxper, are you going to buy it?

-slym (just curious)

I STILL don't know. I'm thinking and thinking about it, and I don't have much time left.

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

I'd buy a 9.0+ copy for under $200. Of course I also buy super cheap copies of books with purple and green lables. I think the HG plod and especially glod books are some of the best prices out there. :thumb:
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

It's just me but I don't like my comics minus anything. I'd rather have a low grade copy than a nice looking one minus the stamp or an ad page.

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

(I did buy it)

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to unstaple the comic, pull out the page, and replace it with a page from a cheaper, lower grade copy that has the stamp. Would that technically make it restored? Could CGC tell the difference and, even if they couldn't, would it be ethical to do so?

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

shaxper wrote:(I did buy it)

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to unstaple the comic, pull out the page, and replace it with a page from a cheaper, lower grade copy that has the stamp. Would that technically make it restored? Could CGC tell the difference and, even if they couldn't, would it be ethical to do so?
Yes,

You could get the page from another copy, CGC will catch it and give it a green label qualified grade and will note 'married page' on the label. (Not ethical, but you knew that).

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

mrwoogieman wrote:(Not ethical, but you knew that).

I wouldn't have asked if I did. The reason I ask is that you're still giving them the complete original comic. It's just coming from two different sources. Does that really change its worth? I guess if CGC can catch it, then yes, it affects its worth and is therefore unethical, so the point is moot.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

shaxper wrote:(I did buy it)

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to unstaple the comic, pull out the page, and replace it with a page from a cheaper, lower grade copy that has the stamp. Would that technically make it restored?
Yep, that definitely would qualify as resto. As Woogieman said, CGC would spot this and give it the appropriate label.

Oh yeah - nice buy! If you didn't take it, I was (maybe) gonna ask you the seller's ID.....

:wink:

-slym

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

shaxper wrote:

I wouldn't have asked if I did. The reason I ask is that you're still giving them the complete original comic. It's just coming from two different sources. Does that really change its worth? I guess if CGC can catch it, then yes, it affects its worth and is therefore unethical, so the point is moot.

It would be a 'married' book, not restored. CGC gives it a green label rather than a blue one. Purple labels are used for restored books.

There is a significant price difference, so you have an obligation to tell people what they're buying. There are some infamous dealers that are notorious for passing these types of books off.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

mrwoogieman wrote:
shaxper wrote:

It would be a 'married' book, not restored. CGC gives it a green label rather than a blue one. Purple labels are used for restored books.

There is a significant price difference, so you have an obligation to tell people what they're buying. There are some infamous dealers that are notorious for passing these types of books off.

Wait, that's not considered resto? But I thought... aw, heck, that's why I don't work at CGC, I guess (well, one reason among many, anyways!)

-slym

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

Sorry to post around you Neil, but I was directing my comment at you too. I'm just too lazy to do a big double quote thing.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

No worries, I figured that was meant for me, too.

Hmm, this is one of those "The More You Know" moments for me reagrding resto.

-slym

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

Never heard of a "married" book before. Good to know. Needless to say, I won't be doing that with my #181. I'm an opportunist, but I'm not dishonest.

Incidentally, when inspecting a potential purchase, how can you tell if it's been married?

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

shaxper wrote:Never heard of a "married" book before. Good to know. Needless to say, I won't be doing that with my #181. I'm an opportunist, but I'm not dishonest.

Incidentally, when inspecting a potential purchase, how can you tell if it's been married?
The only way to tell really is to observe a difference in page quality, meaning the centerfold (which is the usual replaced part of a book since they fall out and get lost) or other interior page will be a slightly different shade of whiteness, either better or worse (lighter or darker) than the rest of the book. Otherwise, the staples might look like they've been opened and re-closed, but that's often hard to see.

Another tip for married covers is the first interior wrap will have some damage or dirt that's inconsistent with the cover that's on the book, indicating that the original cover was lost or that the book went without a cover for a while and accrued defects that are now masked by a different cover. For example, if you look at the right hand margin of the first interior page and notice some localized discoloration or excess cream color that doesn't match up with the condition of the front cover, a thought should go to whether the cover was original with the rest of the book or not.

It's hard to explain, but imagine a front cover with a small piece out of the right edge; that missing piece will usually lead to the first wrap underneath having an area of discoloration where the front cover piece is out. Now imagine that you see that same area of discoloration on the first wrap of a book, but the front cover doesn't have a piece out that coincides with the location of the discoloration, or the front cover has pieces out but the first wrap doesn't have any evidence of those missing pieces having had any effect on the first wrap.

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

Makes sense, though I doubt I'll remember to look when making a purchase :(. Thanks for the info.

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

Another opportunity just came up. I can get a #181 that would be a 7.0 if it weren't missing its coupon. What would you pay for this one?