What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:I took a break from my Uncanny Xmen re-read to backtrack & read some early New Mutants starting at #1.

Had to buy a couple of cheap lots of NM off eBay to fill in the stuff I was missing between 10-50... and found out there are a few key early issues of NM that I didn't realize were picking up value. I got a decent copy of Annual #2 [1st Psylocke], but still need to find a copy of #14 [Ist Illyanna as Magik]. Thankfully I already had the 1st Legion issues [25, 26, 27].

Its been a fun read to see how these early issues of NM flow alongside Uncanny Xmen. Lots of stories in XMen from 167~200 make more sense after having read these.
Forgot to mention - I also picked up a set of the Magik 4-issue mini-series [1983]. First time reading it, and I loved it. Some really surprisingly dark moments in this story. I really liked the whole back story of Illyana's lost years in Limbo.

I have a hankering to try & get a set of the Longshot mini-series next, I've actually never read that either.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I took a break from my Uncanny Xmen re-read to backtrack & read some early New Mutants starting at #1.

Had to buy a couple of cheap lots of NM off eBay to fill in the stuff I was missing between 10-50... and found out there are a few key early issues of NM that I didn't realize were picking up value. I got a decent copy of Annual #2 [1st Psylocke], but still need to find a copy of #14 [Ist Illyanna as Magik]. Thankfully I already had the 1st Legion issues [25, 26, 27].

Its been a fun read to see how these early issues of NM flow alongside Uncanny Xmen. Lots of stories in XMen from 167~200 make more sense after having read these.
Forgot to mention - I also picked up a set of the Magik 4-issue mini-series [1983]. First time reading it, and I loved it. Some really surprisingly dark moments in this story. I really liked the whole back story of Illyana's lost years in Limbo.

I have a hankering to try & get a set of the Longshot mini-series next, I've actually never read that either.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Good stuff, sir! I have no idea if NM Annual #2 is indeed the first Psylocke, that is a confusing discussion- I recently found a copy of the Mandarin issue (the "new" Psylocke- Lady Mandarin) in the back issue bins but ulitimately decided to not take it home for such an inflated price (about 25-30 euros for a FN-, which is not even her first appearance). I love Psylocke, she is one of my fav X-Men, and I'm trying to get a complete set of 1st app for the Remender's UXF members (my Hulk 181 is a True Believer copy, same as NM #98 :D ); can't reccommend that book enough- it is X-Men stuff at its best!
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

The current X-Men Gold series is still fun to read, but after 6 months of "oh, I forgot how much I loved (insert reference to an old X-Men/story/character/concept/location/etc), I need somethin more meaty. It is starting to feel "light" with all the safe storytelling tropes. I enjoy it, I really do- but now it's time to dare. This first crossover with Mojo did nothing for me.

Astonishing has shown to be the "more mature/complex" book, and "where important things will happen"- basically it's a year-long set-up for Uncanny's return, I'd bet. While at it, it gives us great artwork each issue, #2 by Deodato was mindblowing. And having the Shadow King as a villain is always creepy, so the book feels way different than the other "main" team books (Gold, Blue- soon to be joined by Red*).

I also read tonight the final Lemire arc on Old Man Logan, "Past Lives"; entertaining stuff, but its more of a Wolverine's best hits, re-lived by OML. Funny stuff like Logan going WTF? at his own cheesy 70s and 80s lines fighting the Hulk and the Hand. Its a great lil' detail by Lemire, could not help to chuckle at that. Did not made me want to read OML comics in a monthly basis, but still is a fun ride through the guy's most famous moments and it added a bit more of weight to the character, with his final decision in the last issue. Solid.

*My guess for this book line-up would be:
Ressurected Jean, Jean Jr, Madelyne, Hope, Rachel, Erik (The Red) and of course, The Proletarian.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Good stuff, sir! I have no idea if NM Annual #2 is indeed the first Psylocke, that is a confusing discussion- I recently found a copy of the Mandarin issue (the "new" Psylocke- Lady Mandarin) in the back issue bins but ulitimately decided to not take it home for such an inflated price (about 25-30 euros for a FN-, which is not even her first appearance). I love Psylocke, she is one of my fav X-Men, and I'm trying to get a complete set of 1st app for the Remender's UXF members (my Hulk 181 is a True Believer copy, same as NM #98 :D ); can't reccommend that book enough- it is X-Men stuff at its best!
I think that NM Annual #2 is her first appearance in a North American Marvel comic - I was reading comments in the letters columns of later New Mutants issues that suggest she was in the Captain Britain comics published in the U.K. long before that Annual came out. After reading it, I can say that sequentially it definitely occurs before she shows up in Uncanny Xmen. It was a really good read, too - surprisingly dark & creepy for the era.

I also ended up getting a set of the Longshot mini. Interesting stuff in there, first Spiral & Mojo was cool to see... they are such bizarre characters, I like them - but a bit of a choppy writing style. Glad to get more background on Longshot too, it made his short lived story arc as a member of Uncanny XMen make more sense.

Currently I'm into XFactor for a bit - read the return of Jean Grey issue of Fantastic Four (#286) and about 10 issues into XFactor. It isn't quite as good as New Mutants or Uncanny, but still enjoyable - again, cool to fill in the story gaps as I had previously never read these early issues. Especially enjoying reading the Mutant Massacre crossover stuff for the first time.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I think that NM Annual #2 is her first appearance in a North American Marvel comic - I was reading comments in the letters columns of later New Mutants issues that suggest she was in the Captain Britain comics published in the U.K. long before that Annual came out. After reading it, I can say that sequentially it definitely occurs before she shows up in Uncanny Xmen. It was a really good read, too - surprisingly dark & creepy for the era.

I also ended up getting a set of the Longshot mini. Interesting stuff in there, first Spiral & Mojo was cool to see... they are such bizarre characters, I like them - but a bit of a choppy writing style. Glad to get more background on Longshot too, it made his short lived story arc as a member of Uncanny XMen make more sense.

Currently I'm into XFactor for a bit - read the return of Jean Grey issue of Fantastic Four (#286) and about 10 issues into XFactor. It isn't quite as good as New Mutants or Uncanny, but still enjoyable - again, cool to fill in the story gaps as I had previously never read these early issues. Especially enjoying reading the Mutant Massacre crossover stuff for the first time.
I really like the era between the NM start and the first year or so of X-Factor. Reading these in chronological order is the way to go- the lil' kids' book is fantastic at this point. I remember being an actual kid and seeing the cover for the series 1st issue and Hating it. Who were these stupid "children" (all older than me att, but still...) and what's this business of being the New Mutants? And these uniforms all looking the same, wth?! I did not sign up for Teenage Mutant Fantastic Five!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And then I read the actual stories and liked them a lot. I still remember the surprise, really. Never judge a comic by its cover.
But I only came to appreciate this run for real when I read all of the X-books between X-Men #1 and circa (I think) 87/88 X-Men/New Mutants/X-Factor. In the first 2 years or so, New Mutants almost becomes the best book in places, and you know that is saying a lot.
After that period I was more pick and choose, and HUGE also, the late 80s and 90s X-Men are just not as good as the late 70s/early mid 80s; the amount of classic tales from this era is unbelievable, it's one hit after another. But by the time they go to Genosha, I started to just read the most important/best regarded stories. Still, the 90s X-Men have a TON of great stuff, like AoA, but too many things were dragged along the 100 titles around the shops, and by the time I read 90s X-Men, it was the end of the century, after all the tricks and gimmicks almost killed the industry. I was in a totally different mindset regarding US comics, and these 90s Image-style books really felt dated real quick.

Jeez, that was a detour- sorry bud! :lol:

I don't get Longshot, lol. Maybe I should try that series someday; it's complete and compiled in one of the boxes of another LCS i go to for back issues- been there for months along with a LOT of late 80s X-books for real cheap. I thought about bring the Bishop 1st app., might still go there next week and grab this also. :hm: It's like 10 euros or something, the mini, not that much to lose if it sucks :P and I trust your taste in comics. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Wodwulf Seaxaning
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Wodwulf Seaxaning »

Outside Valiant Comics here is what I am Reading:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Hopeless Savages GNs

Attack on Titan manga

Various Marvel Star Wars titles

fastballspecial
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by fastballspecial »

I just read the Lazarus Contract from DC on the Titans/Deathstroke crossover. I enjoyed it. You could
really feel for Deathstroke in the end. All he wanted to do was save Ravager.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I really like the era between the NM start and the first year or so of X-Factor. Reading these in chronological order is the way to go- the lil' kids' book is fantastic at this point. I remember being an actual kid and seeing the cover for the series 1st issue and Hating it. Who were these stupid "children" (all older than me att, but still...) and what's this business of being the New Mutants? And these uniforms all looking the same, wth?! I did not sign up for Teenage Mutant Fantastic Five!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And then I read the actual stories and liked them a lot. I still remember the surprise, really. Never judge a comic by its cover.
But I only came to appreciate this run for real when I read all of the X-books between X-Men #1 and circa (I think) 87/88 X-Men/New Mutants/X-Factor. In the first 2 years or so, New Mutants almost becomes the best book in places, and you know that is saying a lot.
After that period I was more pick and choose, and HUGE also, the late 80s and 90s X-Men are just not as good as the late 70s/early mid 80s; the amount of classic tales from this era is unbelievable, it's one hit after another. But by the time they go to Genosha, I started to just read the most important/best regarded stories. Still, the 90s X-Men have a TON of great stuff, like AoA, but too many things were dragged along the 100 titles around the shops, and by the time I read 90s X-Men, it was the end of the century, after all the tricks and gimmicks almost killed the industry. I was in a totally different mindset regarding US comics, and these 90s Image-style books really felt dated real quick.

Jeez, that was a detour- sorry bud! :lol:

I don't get Longshot, lol. Maybe I should try that series someday; it's complete and compiled in one of the boxes of another LCS i go to for back issues- been there for months along with a LOT of late 80s X-books for real cheap. I thought about bring the Bishop 1st app., might still go there next week and grab this also. :hm: It's like 10 euros or something, the mini, not that much to lose if it sucks :P and I trust your taste in comics. :thumb:
I wouldn't say that Longshot was a really great mini-series overall, so don't expect to be amazed if you do get it. It really was primarily good [and worth reading] for seeing the origins of Longshot, Mojo & Spiral. It gave them all a context that I felt was lacking in their other appearances that I had read in the past.

I am definitely a fan of the entire original Claremont run on Uncanny [94 to 278(?)]. It has its highs & lows, but I love it all. And I agree, New Mutants rivals & exceeds it in excellence, in places. The 1st Legion story arc was really fantastic - such a great concept of that character & how all the surreal elements of his psyche interact... There was a moment in an early issue of NM where the kids were just hanging out one evening watching a movie at the school, eating popcorn & chattering... and reading that just recently made me wish I could be a character in that story & hanging out with them in that moment. The book peters out pretty quick after Claremont left it in the mid-50's issues though. Kind of a shame. Of course, I do have most of the Liefeld issues, as I bought them back in the day - but those are really dated now, and are among the worst of that era of comics.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

rereading sinestro corps war great stuff

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I started re-reading the entirety of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, just finished the "American Gothic" tpb (vol. 4 of the new editions); *SQUEE*, this is really on another level of quality. I bought these editions a while back, had read some of the stuff in college, but not the whole run.

"The End" is simply one of the most epic comic books I ever read. That sequence with The Spectre is absolutely perfect cosmic comics, with the right amount of Lovecraft in there (IT WAS A FINGERNAIL) (a huge influence on this arc via Ramsey Campbell's influence on Moore and the man's own love for HPL) and even the resolution is so poetic and beautiful.Love the whole thing about flowers growing in hell and an adder coiling in heaven. Just magnificent writing.

No wonder it is considered one of the "seriously great literature" works in comics, ever. Having a blast going through all of the issues.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:I started re-reading the entirety of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, just finished the "American Gothic" tpb (vol. 4 of the new editions); *SQUEE*, this is really on another level of quality. I bought these editions a while back, had read some of the stuff in college, but not the whole run.

"The End" is simply one of the most epic comic books I ever read. That sequence with The Spectre is absolutely perfect cosmic comics, with the right amount of Lovecraft in there (IT WAS A FINGERNAIL) (a huge influence on this arc via Ramsey Campbell's influence on Moore and the man's own love for HPL) and even the resolution is so poetic and beautiful.Love the whole thing about flowers growing in hell and an adder coiling in heaven. Just magnificent writing.

No wonder it is considered one of the "seriously great literature" works in comics, ever. Having a blast going through all of the issues.
:thumb: :thumb:

I still need to read the entire Moore run of Swamp Thing. I think I only have 2 or 3 of the trade collections. I was amazed by what I have read of it - a truly classic run, for sure.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Read the new book from Dynamite (sucks), John Wick#1. Guess it's a prequel. Didn't know that going in, and thought it was a pretty solid book, really enjoyed it!
Moose

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

ShadowTuga wrote:I started re-reading the entirety of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, just finished the "American Gothic" tpb (vol. 4 of the new editions); *SQUEE*, this is really on another level of quality. I bought these editions a while back, had read some of the stuff in college, but not the whole run.

Moore's take on Swamp Thing is my favorite comic run, period.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

think im going in to ex machina

teh swamp thing was awesome

Wodwulf Seaxaning
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski

Post by Wodwulf Seaxaning »

I am rereading Twilight X - a silly but fun Twilight: 2000 homage by Joseph Wight, published by Antarctic Press.

X-O Manowar vol. 4 & 5

Harbinger vol's 1-6

Unity vol's 1-6

Brittanica

Divinity (all)

Bloodshot vols.4-6 & Bloodshot USA

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior vols. 1-3

Yeah I am diving deep into Valiant Universe (minus the Twilight X series).

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Finished Swamp Thing by Alan Moore just now.
These last 2 volumes, dudes, I think I liked it even more than the previous ones, those were already an example of true excellence in comics.

"My Blue Heaven" and "Loving the Alien" are 2 of my 3 favourite comics in this run, the latter one, just something really, really out of the box. It is as artistic as this run gets. A planet-machine thingy rapes Swamp Thing.This is told in one page images with prose on it.

Then he goes to "carrot planet" and almost goes insane with the fact that vegetals on J586 are all sentient, which was crazy to see. I mean how creative is this guy?! I almost shed a tear when he gives that sectors' GL a last moment with his dead mentor. Beautiful, Beautiful stuff.

By the time he comes to Earth, rises off the ground and hugs Abby, you feel very, stupidly happy for the monster-man. And his decision at the very end, its as deep as you can get in a comic book. Philosophy-level of writing. I was blown away.

Nevermind the fact that issue 53 ("The Garden of Earthly Delights") is simply put, one of the best "Batman as a secondary character" stories I ever had the pleasure to read. Instant classic, as it is.

Perfect, just perfect writing, damn it. They don't write'em like this anymore.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

Red Hood and Arsenal

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

thats a ton of reading wodwolf

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

ShadowTuga wrote:Finished Swamp Thing by Alan Moore just now.
These last 2 volumes, dudes, I think I liked it even more than the previous ones, those were already an example of true excellence in comics

Perfect, just perfect writing, damn it. They don't write'em like this anymore.
Huge Swamp Thing fan.

Last year in October, in an effort to stop spending money and figuring it would consume my free time for a few weeks, I read through the Alan Moore run for the first time in over a decade. It really is one of the best runs ever.

It backfired (in a good way), I started spending a lot more money on comics and ended up jumping on the Valiant train. But that was after getting through the New 52 Swamp Thing (which...I'll need to read again as Snyder didn't impress, but Soule got off to a good start only to deliver a final issue that is a bit to 'did you hear we got cancelled--not our fault' that a lot of books tend to do). Alec's made a few Rebirth appearances so far, but he deserves his own book. Never should've left the Vertigo line (same with Constantine).

If you continue on after Moore, Veitch is hit or miss nearly every other issue but decent enough--seems Moore rubbed off on him a little, Millar puts Swamp Thing through a good idea (not as good execution), everything in between doesn't stand out as much--I guess they didn't cancel books as easily back then.

But Brian K. Vaughn's take following Swamp Thing's daughter is great and a real missed opportunity, it was really starting to go somewhere when the plug was pulled. But the closest to Moore's success is the original. Len Wein's tales share that near Edgar Alan Poe quality (Wrightson's art certainly helps). He doesn't have a grasp as much on delivering one overarching masterpiece, but issue-to-issue they are a delight.

aside from staying up to date with Valiant,

I just finished reading the two hardcover collections of Lazurus by Rucka/Lark. Pretty big Game of Thrones style tale set in our future. Not normally my thing, but Rucka is a good writer and pulled me through.

Currently playing catch up on Harrow County.

Loaded up on IST's Black Friday specials, so I'm awaiting a lot of new books this week/next. Early Christmas.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:

I still need to read the entire Moore run of Swamp Thing. I think I only have 2 or 3 of the trade collections. I was amazed by what I have read of it - a truly classic run, for sure.

I bought first editions of the first two TPBs and I had to wait over 15 years until DC reprinted the rest of it before I read either of them and bought the rest of them, I don't know why it took them so long to reprint the complete Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing.

Although it was worth the wait though :thumb:
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Cyberstrike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I bought first editions of the first two TPBs and I had to wait over 15 years until DC reprinted the rest of it before I read either of them and bought the rest of them, I don't know why it took them so long to reprint the complete Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing.

Although it was worth the wait though :thumb:
It really was. The new editions are absolutely stunning in presentation- well worth the money (I actually bought my books for less than 20 euros each- a steal) and the time it took to get them. The previous releases were ok I guess, but afaik not that much in terms of the looks and extras. The story is what matters, but these "new" editions are a treat, I saw them and immediately went and got them.

I just would advise everyone to read the intros by Stephen Bissette last, because it might spoil some of the huge surprises this comic has. Just read and enjoy it as it was published, the texts are great insight but they are best for a post-reading.

Wrath, the Swamp Thing run I am now really wanting to read is the (small) one from our own bud, Joshua Dysart. Anyone read it? If you- or anyone else- can give me some feedback, that would be awesome. Len Wein's stories are great and they still hold, but after Moore, everything looks way worse than probably is. I think I will only read another author next year, or so: how can I forget My Blue Heaven and just accept a random-yet-entertaining story with Swamp Thing? :D

As for current reads, outside new comics from DC and Marvel, I think I will go for Moon Knight this week, I still have my 2 volumes of the Epic collections to read in their entirety.

Yesterday I ordered the Brubaker/Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist Series "complete" editions. I can't wait to read this. Only read the first arc "The Last Iron Fist Story" and loved it, hope it is here by the end of the week.

This was the year that I planned to play catch-up with some historical runs like Miracleman, Invincible, Hellboy and Astro City.
None of those made my shelves, but here's hoping for next year. :hope:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

invincible :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

add ex mechina if its not on your list amazing stuff

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

ShadowTuga wrote: the Swamp Thing run I am now really wanting to read is the (small) one from our own bud, Joshua Dysart. Anyone read it?
Diggle starts the 'reboot' off pretty well with the same story Scott Snyder gave us in New 52. But I think it works better here. And it really felt like he knew what was going to happen next... I was pretty excited at the time that it was only going to get better... so when Dysart came in, I... well...

Two things...

1. Dysart's run left such an impression on me upon release that I had a hard time believing everyone on this board about Harbinger. If I hadn't landed a cheap deal on the deluxe editions, I may never have discovered what a truly amazing writer Dysart actually is--and I opened them with so much trepidation. That said, the Eric Powell covers are worth owning (he's a favorite of mine). I have issue #22 in poster form, and would love the others as well.

2. My appreciation of Dysart's Valiant work makes it hard for me to slam this run right now. I really want to rediscover it. I want to be wrong.

I tend to collect based on creators and will often revisit the 'worst' pieces time and again to better understand/appreciate. I don't know why that is. But sometimes, those repeat readings/viewings (movies) does allow me to accept what initially turned me off. And I really think it'll be neat to look back and see how far Dysart has come as a writer. I love seeing artists/writers improve.

I would totally champion current day Joshua Dysart taking on Swamp Thing again.

I found this interview with Dysart on it: http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/bakers ... 0719.shtml

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Ill today so read Sandman: Overture between bouts of sleep. Amazing addition to Gaimen's Sandman series.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote: the Swamp Thing run I am now really wanting to read is the (small) one from our own bud, Joshua Dysart. Anyone read it?
Diggle starts the 'reboot' off pretty well with the same story Scott Snyder gave us in New 52. But I think it works better here. And it really felt like he knew what was going to happen next... I was pretty excited at the time that it was only going to get better... so when Dysart came in, I... well...

Two things...

1. Dysart's run left such an impression on me upon release that I had a hard time believing everyone on this board about Harbinger. If I hadn't landed a cheap deal on the deluxe editions, I may never have discovered what a truly amazing writer Dysart actually is--and I opened them with so much trepidation. That said, the Eric Powell covers are worth owning (he's a favorite of mine). I have issue #22 in poster form, and would love the others as well.

2. My appreciation of Dysart's Valiant work makes it hard for me to slam this run right now. I really want to rediscover it. I want to be wrong.

I tend to collect based on creators and will often revisit the 'worst' pieces time and again to better understand/appreciate. I don't know why that is. But sometimes, those repeat readings/viewings (movies) does allow me to accept what initially turned me off. And I really think it'll be neat to look back and see how far Dysart has come as a writer. I love seeing artists/writers improve.

I would totally champion current day Joshua Dysart taking on Swamp Thing again.

I found this interview with Dysart on it: http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/bakers ... 0719.shtml
:thumb: Many Thanks, sir!
Yamamoto Tsunetomo