Canto by IDW | The next Mouseguard/Bone?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Canto by IDW | The next Mouseguard/Bone?

Post by IMJ »

All I can say is that the book is great. The art direction is great and the clockworks driven characters are super cool. There wasn't a lot of hype leading up to the book, but it looks like it is selling out very quickly and I couldn't find the 1:10 a ratio copy anywhere.

"Enslaved for generations, Canto's people once had hearts. Now they have clocks. When slavers damage a little tin girl's clock beyond repair, Canto must brave his strange and fantastic world to bring back her heart. Can he overcome the dangers that away to save the one he loves? An all-ages fable inspired by Wizard of Oz and Dante's Inferno. Part fantasy. Part adventure. All heart.

I haven't had that much fun reading a fantasy book since Battlechasers. The characters are a bit like Jawa's with hidden heads under the gear, but I get the impression that they are sort of amphibian or lizard like. I def look forward to the rest of the series.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Canto by IDW | The next Mouseguard/Bone?

Post by nycjadie »

:thumb:

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

i cannot find it anywhere. going to go hunt it down in a shop or two while i drive towards AX this week.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

ironherc wrote:i cannot find it anywhere. going to go hunt it down in a shop or two while i drive towards AX this week.
Good luck with the hunt! It's my understanding that this book was under ordered, sold out and many copies had kinks and cover damage so don't get frustrated, but let us know what you find!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

There is some interweb heat on this book.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:There is some interweb heat on this book.
32 sales on the bay between yesterday and so far today basically 20 to 30 bucks a pop. I'm really curious to see what this thing is going to do when CGC 9.6 and 9.8's start popping up.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

IMJ wrote:
32 sales on the bay between yesterday and so far today basically 20 to 30 bucks a pop. I'm really curious to see what this thing is going to do when CGC 9.6 and 9.8's start popping up.
Don’t you think it’s speculators selling to speculators??

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:
IMJ wrote:
With that much heat within days of release? Absolutely it's that. Absolutely.
But with that said, as far as content goes, it's a spec that should pay off long term. The first issue was a good indie book and with that said I will at least finish the series. I could see this making a great cgi cartoon, sort of like Tim Burton's "9" meets the Smurfs.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

IMJ wrote:
Elveen wrote:
IMJ wrote:
With that much heat within days of release? Absolutely it's that. Absolutely.
But with that said, as far as content goes, it's a spec that should pay off long term. The first issue was a good indie book and with that said I will at least finish the series. I could see this making a great cgi cartoon, sort of like Tim Burton's "9" meets the Smurfs.

Ok.

But a “spec that should pay off long term” , to me implies a good money decision.

Do you think it’s a good money decision to buy this book at current prices?

And do you really think this could be the next Mouse Guard or Bone? Just asking.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:And do you really think this could be the next Mouse Guard or Bone? Just asking.
Well I read it.

The first issue was solid - it hit all the beats without error, although all of the beats are cliches of that genre. But take an even keel story that makes no mistakes in the first issue and combine it with a very cool world, with very cool creatures that make you want to know more and I'd say that it's got solid chance by virtue of story telling material, if not by convention goer investors.

I was entertained, and it fills that "little-innocent-creature/big world" genre gap that only gets filled every so often. Nine, The Secret of Nimhh, Bone, Mouse Guard. I'd say that Canto is in good company with those IP's.

If the second issue delivers then there's an even better shot. But then again we are in the collector era of spec books and YouTube reviewers literally talking about Artgerm covers as if that encompasses all of the contents of a comic. Soooooo..... in this market my opinions are pretty much completely skewed from the reader zeitgeist in the context I am presenting it in. I am talking about presentation and content on top of the print runs, hype and shipping damage.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Elveen wrote:
IMJ wrote:
I feel like this is who buys and sells Harbinger 1 9.8s.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:Don’t you think it’s speculators selling to speculators??
nycjadie wrote:I feel like this is who buys and sells Harbinger 1 9.8s.

:lol:
It's hard to disagree with this....

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

IMJ wrote:
Elveen wrote:And do you really think this could be the next Mouse Guard or Bone? Just asking.
Well I read it.

The first issue was solid - it hit all the beats without error, although all of the beats are cliches of that genre. But take an even keel story that makes no mistakes in the first issue and combine it with a very cool world, with very cool creatures that make you want to know more and I'd say that it's got solid chance by virtue of story telling material, if not by convention goer investors.

I was entertained, and it fills that "little-innocent-creature/big world" genre gap that only gets filled every so often. Nine, The Secret of Nimhh, Bone, Mouse Guard. I'd say that Canto is in good company with those IP's.

If the second issue delivers then there's an even better shot. But then again we are in the collector era of spec books and YouTube reviewers literally talking about Artgerm covers as if that encompasses all of the contents of a comic. Soooooo..... in this market my opinions are pretty much completely skewed from the reader zeitgeist in the context I am presenting it in. I am talking about presentation and content on top of the print runs, hype and shipping damage.
I'm all for a new property following in the footsteps of Bone and Mouse Guard, but the thing that will absolutely kill a title will be delays on the issues.
Peter Panzerfaust was a can't miss bigtime book for a few issues until it took over 4 years to get to #26.
Saga would be even bigger if the books were regular... or at all, at this point.

IDW isn't Image, but if they don't have a great story all lined up and ready to come out like clockwork, then Canto just... can't go.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

greg wrote:
IMJ wrote:
Well I read it.

I'm all for a new property following in the footsteps of Bone and Mouse Guard, but the thing that will absolutely kill a title will be delays on the issues.
Peter Panzerfaust was a can't miss bigtime book for a few issues until it took over 4 years to get to #26.
Saga would be even bigger if the books were regular... or at all, at this point.

IDW isn't Image, but if they don't have a great story all lined up and ready to come out like clockwork, then Canto just... can't go.
Ab. So. Lutely. Absolutely.