Ultimate Comics

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Ultimate Comics

Post by StarBrand »

Are any of you interested in the Ultimate Comics line?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand
Re: Ultimate Comics

Post by StarBrand »

Just started an Ultimate Comics Fans Facebook group, and David Anthony Kraft immediately asked to join! That’s a heck of a start!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Ultimate Fallout #4 is the first appearance of Miles Morales. He’s clearly an important comic book character, who first appeared in Ultimate Fallout 4. But the character who intrigued me the most from this line is The Maker. The Maker is this line’s Reed Richards, after he went bad. Ironically, The Maker first appeared in Ultimate Fallout #4 as well. And, as far as I know, the only two characters from this line that survived the most recent Secret Wars and made it into the main Marvel Universe were Miles and the Maker. Here’s a bit more about The Maker.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.ph ... P_3byFqA54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I've got a pretty full run of the originally branded Ultimate stuff, and then some of the white-branded Avengers related mini-series. I didn't get into the Ultimate Fallout stuff or that crazy morbid Loeb story where the Blob eats the Wasp (whatever that was called).

I haven't read any of it in years, but although the Ultimate Universe was king when it was being published, it fell apart badly down the road. I can't imagine that those books will ever be hot again like they once were...

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

StarBrand wrote:Are any of you interested in the Ultimate Comics line?
I'm a big fan of Ultimate Marvel actually! In fact, I honestly view Valiant as sort of a spiritual successor. I've read all of (and collected most of) Spider-Man, Ultimates, X-Men, Fantastic Four, the major events, and almost everything else. My plan is to collect everything that I actually think is good (which is about 60/40, when it comes to Ultimate comics), so I've been slowly cycling through the mini's whenever I find one for cheap. I just finished Wolverine vs. Hulk and it was a lot of fun. Now all I have left to read are Ultimate Adventures, Elektra, Armor Wars, Ultimate End (which I dropped after 1 issue originally), and a couple 616 one-shots that star Ultimate characters.
Ultimate Fallout #4 is the first appearance of Miles Morales. He’s clearly an important comic book character, who first appeared in Ultimate Fallout 4. But the character who intrigued me the most from this line is The Maker. The Maker is this line’s Reed Richards, after he went bad. Ironically, The Maker first appeared in Ultimate Fallout #4 as well. And, as far as I know, the only two characters from this line that survived the most recent Secret Wars and made it into the main Marvel Universe were Miles and the Maker. Here’s a bit more about The Maker.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.ph ... P_3byFqA54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I never actually put that together! That's a fascinating find. Who would have thought that one single issue predicted the end of the Ultimate Universe.
IMJ wrote:I've got a pretty full run of the originally branded Ultimate stuff, and then some of the white-branded Avengers related mini-series. I didn't get into the Ultimate Fallout stuff or that crazy morbid Loeb story where the Blob eats the Wasp (whatever that was called).

I haven't read any of it in years, but although the Ultimate Universe was king when it was being published, it fell apart badly down the road. I can't imagine that those books will ever be hot again like they once were...
[/quote]
Don't discount the post-Ultimatum (the "Blob eats the Wasp" story you were talking about) stuff. Unfortunately after Ultimatum, Jeph Loeb was given even more control over the universe, Millar wrote a few sub-standard Avengers stories, and Ultimate Doomsday was lame, but Spidey stayed great up until the very end. After Death of Spider-Man, it got really interesting, and it's what got me into comics in the first place. There's a brand new, young Spider-Man, the X-Men are in shambles, and The Ultimates get a couple arcs by Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic. I believe there's about a two year long period here that rivals the best of the "golden age" of Ultimate Marvel.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I started an Ultimate Comics Facebook group yesterday.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/342660179 ... rce=result" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Great article on the status of the Ultimate Universe.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-new-ultimate ... plained/2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

read ultimate spider-man back in the day and really liked it but after a while i lost interest, specially after getting ultimanium and Miles sent to the main universe. Heard that the universe was restored with a revived peter parker.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I’ve not heard it’s been restored with a revived Peter Parker. I have to find more out about that. Thanks!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

The skinny on the current status of the Ultimate Universe. Or, pretty close to current, anyway.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-new-ultimate ... plained/2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

The Ultimate lines got me back into comics in about 2001. I loved most of the runs but sold everything when it was hot except for the X-men run.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I always wanted to get into the Ultimate Universe. Sadly everything I've ever read makes everyone but Spider-man a gigantic a-hole.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Been reading and reviewing from the start.

Fun stuff.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

kevinbastos wrote:Been reading and reviewing from the start.

Fun stuff.
Reviewing? Is there a place where I can read this?
dornwolf wrote:I always wanted to get into the Ultimate Universe. Sadly everything I've ever read makes everyone but Spider-man a gigantic a-hole.
I disagree? :? But if that's something that bothers you, I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea to start at post-Death of Spider-Man. Things seem to be a little more optimistic, and the heroes act like heroes. Hickman's Ultimates and the origin of Miles Morales are incredible.
ironherc wrote:read ultimate spider-man back in the day and really liked it but after a while i lost interest, specially after getting ultimanium and Miles sent to the main universe. Heard that the universe was restored with a revived peter parker.
Ultimatum and the end of the Ultimate universe were like 6 years apart, and honestly, Spider-Man stayed great, throughout Ultimatum and beyond. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "restored." Pete is alive in the Ultimate U, but I think he's off chilling with Mary Jane. As for the universe itself, there was that splash page at the end of Spider-Men II that alluded to the idea that it was still around in some form or another, but that's about it.