What video game are you currently playing?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: What video game are you currently playing?

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:Been playing Injustice 2 and I'm quickly reminded that while I've always loved fighting games I *SQUEE* suck at them. Like holy. Also Injustice 2 isn't really a great game. The story mode is fantastic but otherwise it's pretty bad. Absolutely riddled with micro transactions. While not pay to win it's still pretty bad, as gear is completely random and endless pretty much so if you want a specific set like Wonder Womans movie look, good luck either get good when the Multiverse fight comes around to unlock or pray to RGNjesus to give it to you.
I'm the same, I've loved fighters since I first put my hands on a Sega controller, but I'm really not all that great at them. In fairness, I've developed some fairly mean Tekken skills through hours and hours of play over the years, but any other game I'm totally pants at. I just don't have the reactions for most of the others, and I literally can't seem to move my thumbs fast enough, or with enough dexterity, to do a lot of the special moves in other games, which is a shame when I'd probably otherwise enjoy them.

I don't lose sleep over it though. I just put Tekken back in the console :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Shadowman99 wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Been playing Injustice 2 and I'm quickly reminded that while I've always loved fighting games I *SQUEE* suck at them. Like holy. Also Injustice 2 isn't really a great game. The story mode is fantastic but otherwise it's pretty bad. Absolutely riddled with micro transactions. While not pay to win it's still pretty bad, as gear is completely random and endless pretty much so if you want a specific set like Wonder Womans movie look, good luck either get good when the Multiverse fight comes around to unlock or pray to RGNjesus to give it to you.
I'm the same, I've loved fighters since I first put my hands on a Sega controller, but I'm really not all that great at them. In fairness, I've developed some fairly mean Tekken skills through hours and hours of play over the years, but any other game I'm totally pants at. I just don't have the reactions for most of the others, and I literally can't seem to move my thumbs fast enough, or with enough dexterity, to do a lot of the special moves in other games, which is a shame when I'd probably otherwise enjoy them.

I don't lose sleep over it though. I just put Tekken back in the console :thumb:
I own Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 on game gear. I have never actually beaten one or pulled off a fatality in any mortal kombat game.

Also speaking of fighting games and game gear, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was the best fighting game also had a movie version.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

I own Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 on game gear. I have never actually beaten one or pulled off a fatality in any mortal kombat game.

Also speaking of fighting games and game gear, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was the best fighting game also had a movie version.
Oh man, the difficulty level in MKII... MKI is beatable, no doubt, even by casual players, but the difficulty of MKII even on easiest setting is absolutely mental once you get to about stage 5 and six... I've never beaten it that's for sure. There's an interesting video out on youtube somewhere called 'how to manipulate the AI in MK' or something like that, and it shows you how to do just that... But when you have to spam cheap moves whilst manipulating the ai in such a way really can't make for a rewarding victory at the best of times facepalm So I wouldn't worry about not being able to beat that one if I were you, it's infamous amongst gaming circles for being basically unbeatable. Oh, and I'd recommend doing an uppercut on the 'Pit' stage when prompted to 'Finish Him!' - at least you'll have finally pulled off a fatality :p (works on Megadrive anyway, don't know about Game Gear).

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Done with the first Witcher. I took my time getting to this franchise, but after I read the short stories collections and the novels (read 7 books in 2 weeks or so), I was reaaaaaally curious about the games.

In terms of plot, this had one of the greatest twists I ever experienced, that with Alvin being the Grandmaster..
There are some issues with the levelling of your character and how it becomes really easy late game, but it does not take away the enjoyment. I was level 39 and the final rounds it was just slashing and burning throught bands of monsters like a hot knife on butter.
That said, the first boss is impossible to pass if you do not pick the "right" abilities, which is a game design mistake. I lost a couple hours on that damn dog, had to go the internet guide way, but its the only serious fault I see in it.

For a game released in the previous decade, it does look fantastic, reminded me a lot of Oblivion in places.

Mindblown and really pumped to try the next 2, which I hear are even better.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

I'm really curious about the Yakuza games at the moment. My brother's just picked up some 'remake' versions they've made for the PS4, and 'Yakuza 0', and when we had a tiny play on it it looked really entertaining, but I've checked out some videos on youtube and the story throughout the series looks engaging too, so I'm hoping to borrow them and the console off him someday.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Shadowman99 wrote:I'm really curious about the Yakuza games at the moment. My brother's just picked up some 'remake' versions they've made for the PS4, and 'Yakuza 0', and when we had a tiny play on it it looked really entertaining, but I've checked out some videos on youtube and the story throughout the series looks engaging too, so I'm hoping to borrow them and the console off him someday.
Been looking at getting these as well. They look really enjoyable. I actually did find a copy of 4 which I bought despite not playing the others, I grabbed it purely because they are hard to find.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:I'm really curious about the Yakuza games at the moment. My brother's just picked up some 'remake' versions they've made for the PS4, and 'Yakuza 0', and when we had a tiny play on it it looked really entertaining, but I've checked out some videos on youtube and the story throughout the series looks engaging too, so I'm hoping to borrow them and the console off him someday.
Been looking at getting these as well. They look really enjoyable. I actually did find a copy of 4 which I bought despite not playing the others, I grabbed it purely because they are hard to find.
I'll give my brother a shout to let him know to pick up a copy of 4 when he can, if they're hard to find, as I know he wants to play them all at some point. Although I'm sure he mentioned that the entire series is being remade for the PS4, so maybe he'll get that version instead.

Anyway, I think it looks like a great game because of the juxtaposition in tone: the seriousness of the main storyline can, optionally, be offset by the ridiculousness and comedy of the side quests, which gives players the option of playing the game they want to experience it, which I think is great. If you want to just play the serious story you can do that, and if you just want to spend a couple of hours during an evening titting about playing the mini games in the side missions you can do that too.

I also appreciate the restraints on random violence that the game constrains players with too, as I never liked the idea of inflicting random violence and chaos on NPCs in Grand Theft Auto (etc.), which is why I've never played those games at any length. Much more fun running around the city from specific destination to specific destination to undertake the activities at those locations without the cops trying to cap my *SQUEE*.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:Done with the first Witcher. I took my time getting to this franchise, but after I read the short stories collections and the novels (read 7 books in 2 weeks or so), I was reaaaaaally curious about the games.

In terms of plot, this had one of the greatest twists I ever experienced, that with Alvin being the Grandmaster..
There are some issues with the levelling of your character and how it becomes really easy late game, but it does not take away the enjoyment. I was level 39 and the final rounds it was just slashing and burning throught bands of monsters like a hot knife on butter.
That said, the first boss is impossible to pass if you do not pick the "right" abilities, which is a game design mistake. I lost a couple hours on that damn dog, had to go the internet guide way, but its the only serious fault I see in it.

For a game released in the previous decade, it does look fantastic, reminded me a lot of Oblivion in places.

I have been tempted to try out the Witcher series at times - some friends of mine just cannot stop recommending Part 3 to me. :lol:

But I rarely spend time on games anymore, so I'm not sure if I'll get to these.

I did download the most recent DOOM on my PS4 last week, but have yet to start playing it. I played the demo ages ago when the game first came out, and bought a copy of the full game last summer... as I said, not much time for games these days, hahaha!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:Done with the first Witcher. I took my time getting to this franchise, but after I read the short stories collections and the novels (read 7 books in 2 weeks or so), I was reaaaaaally curious about the games.

I have been tempted to try out the Witcher series at times - some friends of mine just cannot stop recommending Part 3 to me. :lol:

But I rarely spend time on games anymore, so I'm not sure if I'll get to these.

I did download the most recent DOOM on my PS4 last week, but have yet to start playing it. I played the demo ages ago when the game first came out, and bought a copy of the full game last summer... as I said, not much time for games these days, hahaha!
I have been hearing for some years now that the third game is really a great game. I can't play it right now, don't own any current gen consoles and the PCs in the house are not good enough, but I'll be damned if I won't play them in the coming months. The first one... i'm already on my second playthrough, the (sometimes painfuly hard) moral decisions and different paths that lead to different endings and what not make it a must replay. And I love the soundtrack, damn some beautiful tunes in here.

That said, I don't know if the first game is for casual gamers, it has a hardcore RPG system, one that you have to be careful in your abilities choices, otherwise you can't do sh*t near the end, from what I gathered.

I actually had been out of gaming for a while, but the books really made me want to at least try the first game- and it's a great freaking experience. :thumb:

EDIT - Just an aside. Of sorts. If anyone is interested in reading the books, do it before playing the games.
This is not because its really "neat" to see the locations and peeps you read about (some characters, though, really had a make over for the gaming series), but because of absolutely spoiling spoilers for the books. I read people's comments about how the games only mention certain events in the novels (which are chronologically set before the former), but in the first couple of hours of the first game you will already know the end of the books if you talk to certain NPCs. I mean, totally spoil the books for the main character and then later, if you talk with innkeepers and the likes, you actually get a summary of the entire saga.

HUGE SPOILERS HERE:
I'm talking about the death of freaking Geralt at the hands of some unknown idiot who forked him, Yen going with him to an after world and Ciri becoming a multiverse traveller, or whatever it is that she becomes by the end.

Altough the game starts with Geralt being totally amnesiac, or near it, the NPCs who are in the books have something to say about the dude's past. A person unaware of these will likely encounter and have the novels told to him/her in a couple of lines. It sucks for non-yet-but-soon-to-be-readers. I' posting this because I really got the feeling that many gamers-only did not understand the clues and just straight up facts about the main story.

So, my unrequested advice would be- try the 2 short stories collections (amazing and in places this is what the Witcher suff really is about, imo- a supernatural-pest-control working class dude who really has to make ends meet and feels irritated at the thought of being considered a "hero" and having folk expecting him to do heroic s*it for no coin), then the novels if you liked the style of writing. I think the author has a great sense of subtle humour and the touching moments are really that, not to mention that a lot of the action is shown through dialogues and it works wonders. They are a super fast read.

Geralt is a freaking mountain of badas*ery, but above all he's a very conflicted and interesting character- i might be new to the franchise, but I do think the books should be almost mandatory for anyone interested in "modern" mature fantasy.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Started the Devil May Cry HD collection on my PS4 and man I knew I was bad at the first game but holy crap. I'm getting rock so bad in that game. It's amazing to go that far back in gaming history with the original Devil May Cry and see how far not only the series has come but gaming in general.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I have been revisiting the Mega Man series with the PS4 Mega Man X Complete Collection. Rocked Mega Man X and now stuck on X2 trying the tortuous jump to get the Sho-Ryu-Ken. I realized here that I'm not vested like I used to be. LMAO!

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:Started the Devil May Cry HD collection on my PS4 and man I knew I was bad at the first game but holy crap. I'm getting rock so bad in that game. It's amazing to go that far back in gaming history with the original Devil May Cry and see how far not only the series has come but gaming in general.
Interesting to know there's a DMC HD Collection out for the PS4. I'm guessing it's all games so far in the series? I remember playing a demo or two of it back in the day and being somewhat interested in it, but not enough that I ever grabbed a game in the series.

I'm a big God of War (Pre-PS4 series) fan though: do you think it'd satisfy someone into GoW if they gave it a chance?

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Shadowman99 wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Started the Devil May Cry HD collection on my PS4 and man I knew I was bad at the first game but holy crap. I'm getting rock so bad in that game. It's amazing to go that far back in gaming history with the original Devil May Cry and see how far not only the series has come but gaming in general.
Interesting to know there's a DMC HD Collection out for the PS4. I'm guessing it's all games so far in the series? I remember playing a demo or two of it back in the day and being somewhat interested in it, but not enough that I ever grabbed a game in the series.

I'm a big God of War (Pre-PS4 series) fan though: do you think it'd satisfy someone into GoW if they gave it a chance?
Devil May Cry HD on the PS4 is the same release from the PS3/Xbox 360 release so its the first three games only. 4 did get a special edition remaster that’s download only as as separate purchase.

As for a GoW fan approach, I don’t really know. I’m only on the first game and that one doesn’t play smooth at all compared to the OG God Of War. I know they eventually get combo heavy and the game scores you on the damage you dealt and took. If I can wrap the other 2 I can maybe give a better opinion.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

Devil May Cry HD on the PS4 is the same release from the PS3/Xbox 360 release so its the first three games only. 4 did get a special edition remaster that’s download only as as separate purchase.

As for a GoW fan approach, I don’t really know. I’m only on the first game and that one doesn’t play smooth at all compared to the OG God Of War. I know they eventually get combo heavy and the game scores you on the damage you dealt and took. If I can wrap the other 2 I can maybe give a better opinion.
Now you mention it I think it was the slower pace and klunkiness of the combat that originally convinced me that I was better off sticking with GoW, so yeah, let me know about the sequels once you've given 'em a bash and let me know how they compare :high-five:

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

This will probably sound stupid, but is anyone else playing Walking Dead on their phone/tablet? Seems to be the only thing I am interested in these days. I can take a few minutes and run something, then put it away. Basically, it allows me to slack off at work (much like this place).
Moose

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:This will probably sound stupid, but is anyone else playing Walking Dead on their phone/tablet? Seems to be the only thing I am interested in these days. I can take a few minutes and run something, then put it away. Basically, it allows me to slack off at work (much like this place).
I don't think it sounds stupid. There's this attitude in a lot of corners that act as if games made for phones/tablets are lesser. There are some fantastic games out there exactly how you describe. The only problem that I have with them is usually the mechanics of micro transactions and such. Although I know those tell tale games never suffered from that.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (Fate of Atlantis DLC)

This is a truly great game, don't care what haters think.

Dragon Quest 11

An umpteenth replay of God of War (ps4)

GTA-V

Ni-No-Kuni 2

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

dornwolf wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:This will probably sound stupid, but is anyone else playing Walking Dead on their phone/tablet? Seems to be the only thing I am interested in these days. I can take a few minutes and run something, then put it away. Basically, it allows me to slack off at work (much like this place).
I don't think it sounds stupid. There's this attitude in a lot of corners that act as if games made for phones/tablets are lesser. There are some fantastic games out there exactly how you describe. The only problem that I have with them is usually the mechanics of micro transactions and such. Although I know those tell tale games never suffered from that.
I think the success of the phone/tablet marketplace has made it abundantly clear that there's a significant number of people out there that want to play these types of games, and usually for short periods of time. Not everybody wants (or has the time) to sit down and marathon any given game for an entire evening. These aren't 'lesser' games in any way: they're games for a new and different market.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Yeah, so less than a month after my last post here I already got myself an XBox One and a copy of the Enhanced Edition of the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. :P
Comparing it to the first gamein terms of playability is really difficult, of sorts- this version is console-only and it takes time for one that came from W1 to grab the basics of combat, for example. Damn, this game is difficult in that sense that even at level max (35, I did it on a second game) if you get surrounded by 3 or 4 "lame nekkers" or stupid Rotfiends you'll die fast if you don't know the mechanics by heart AND think logically. I like this, way better than W1 combat mechanic, that it was more of a Kotor type (it was the same engine after all) and just became boring almost at the end of the game.
Storywise, W2 is not as developed as the OG game. W1 has some pretty remarkable story points that turned that game into a game that spawned a sequel, to be blunt. Its engrossing, myterious and the twists are just awesome gaming stuff. W2 has other qualities. The story is still very good, just not as polished.
But... the gaming itself is bonkers great. Loved the fact that finally one can make various suits of armor and even the number of weapons available is drastically superior to the firs one. Its an RPG, we want stuff for our characters, the more diversity the better. The Dandelion (Jaskier) mission descriptions were fun and actually lol stuff. Saskiais the character that all gamers will fall in love for the time they play this. And let's leave it at that. I just LOVED her story and the fact that she is the daughter of that awesome golden dragon and the poor female green one that is poisoned in thr books That made me jump on my couch. Super cool character and her arc is the best of all the individuals, saving our white haired sex machine..

I did the Roche's path first, hated those Kaedweni aholes in the camp- Crapper! :lol: :lol: , and coud not wait to side with Iorveth in the
forests and just beat the living dung out of Henselt's army. THe Scoia' Tael path is really the right one in my mind, and if I must confess, Letho deserves to not be killed. Dude taking care of Yen is a huge favour (those who read the books may imagine what she might have done- Letho actually mentions her offering herself to his partner in order to split them. Geralt has no luck in this regard, his love is a treacherous cat).

As for the games spoiling the books... well, the people behind the franchise almost expect you to be familiar with the lore and the world by this point. I loved to find out what happened after the book's ending, and even if its not actual canon, its great. Geralt riding with the King, a la Eric Clapton and BB. Did not see it coming.

Witcher 3, I'm ready. Where are the *SQUEE* Kikimores?
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

So, I picked up my copy of Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds for the 3DS that I got for Christmas 6 years ago. I had only played about 30 minutes when I first got it and then forgot about it.

Man, am I loving this game. Top down Zelda glory at its best. It feels like playing a mixture of the original NES Zelda, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening from the Gameboy days. It's just the right amount of challenging and has some really unique game mechanics. I can't put it down.

I still need to finish Breath of the Wild which I liked a lot, but it just seemed a little sparse in the dungeons area. The temples sucked (too short/easy) and there weren't enough true dungeons (the 4 beasts - which were way to small/short). I liked how expansive the world was and how much freedom you have, but I hate my weapons breaking, and I hate the lack of real dungeons. Zelda has always been about cavernous difficult dungeons in an open overworld. I like getting stuck (or even lost) in a huge difficult dungeon. Great sense of accomplishment.

There is a really cool dungeon in Link Between Worlds game I'm playing - it's in the forest which is itself a maze, but the dungeon has various doors that lead to different areas of the forest where you have to find the right hole to drop down back into the right spot of the dungeon. It was really fun and challenging.

This game has me really excited for the Switch remake of Link's Awakening. It was one of my favorites of the franchise. LttP will always be my favorite. Top down Zelda >>>>> 3D Zelda.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

I'm tinkering around on Theme Hospital again for about the millionth time. I tend to come back to this one every half decade or so. Just really fun somehow.

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

Shadowman99 wrote:I'm tinkering around on Theme Hospital again for about the millionth time. I tend to come back to this one every half decade or so. Just really fun somehow.
It's been way too long since I played Theme Hospital despite having it on PS1, PSN, and computer.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I quit playing online video games about 15 years ago, but I watched Ready Player One recently and if the games aren't that good yet... I'll keep waiting.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

greg wrote:I quit playing online video games about 15 years ago, but I watched Ready Player One recently and if the games aren't that good yet... I'll keep waiting.
Are we talking MMO stuff like World of WarCraft or something else, cause ya I think we're a long way away from getting to something like Ready Player One.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Is anyone playing the Game of Thrones: Conquest game? I haven't joined a group yet, wondering if we had one online yet...
Moose