Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Grading The Life and Death of Toyo Harada Issues Question

Post by mkb28 »

Hello Everyone:

Since CBCS is the only grading company that will grade the 1:250 glass variant from this series, does it make sense to submit any other books you want graded from this series to CBCS to keep it consistent? In addition to the all #1 covers, I also picked up the Gold variant. Should I send all the other books to CGC for grading and just have the glass variant graded by CBCS? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Grading The Life and Death of Toyo Harada Issues Questio

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Guess it really depends. I am not familiar with CBCS all that much, do they have a registry or anything of that nature? IF they do, would that be a goal of yours? Is your goal financial? CBCS doesn't quite respond nearly as nicely as CGC when it comes to buyers, so prices will be lower for you. Do you just want it hard slabbed? How far are you thinking of going with it all?
Moose

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Guess it really depends. I am not familiar with CBCS all that much, do they have a registry or anything of that nature? IF they do, would that be a goal of yours? Is your goal financial? CBCS doesn't quite respond nearly as nicely as CGC when it comes to buyers, so prices will be lower for you. Do you just want it hard slabbed? How far are you thinking of going with it all?

Good questions, Moose. I will at least get my two copies of #1 1:250 Glass slabbed by CBCS. If I get at least one 9.8 copy, then the other graded copy will be up for sale, to further my slabbing budget. facepalm From there, not sure what I want to do. I have the Gold book and all the other #1 covers, with the exception of several store variants. My ultimate goal is to collect as many variant covers in 9.8 grade that have been written by Joshua Dysart. This includes, Harbinger, Harbinger Wars, Harbinger Omegas, Imperium, and now TLADOTH. The majority of what I have so far has been graded by CGC.

I never participated in the CGC registry so that is not an important factor for me. As for the financial aspect, like everyone else, I would love to sell these someday at a higher price. :hope:

Thanks for your input. :thumb:

Michael

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

It really depends.

Getting the Glass Cover graded by CBCS makes sense as it is presently the only option.

As for the other books, that depends as well.

On one hand, there is the OCD fueled desired to have all books in a set graded by the same grading company.

On the other hand, many people might not really care! :lol:

CBCS “might” have a registry, in which case the game will 100% change over night.

For me (right now) I will submit all of my LADOTH to CGC (minus Glass of course) because I also plan to submit all of my Imperium to CGC; and I do also enjoy playing Registry games!

For max resale value, it depends yet again. Today, CGC slabs sell for higher (on average); however, 5 or 10 years from now, I could not say. Impossible to predict.

IF I was collecting ONLY for me in a DBS bubble, with zero registry or resale concerns, then I might want all CGC or all CBCS for uniformity sake.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:It really depends.

Getting the Glass Cover graded by CBCS makes sense as it is presently the only option.

As for the other books, that depends as well.

On one hand, there is the OCD fueled desired to have all books in a set graded by the same grading company.

On the other hand, many people might not really care! :lol:

CBCS “might” have a registry, in which case the game will 100% change over night.

For me (right now) I will submit all of my LADOTH to CGC (minus Glass of course) because I also plan to submit all of my Imperium to CGC; and I do also enjoy playing Registry games!

For max resale value, it depends yet again. Today, CGC slabs sell for higher (on average); however, 5 or 10 years from now, I could not say. Impossible to predict.

IF I was collecting ONLY for me in a DBS bubble, with zero registry or resale concerns, then I might want all CGC or all CBCS for uniformity sake.
Great points, DBS! Thanks for your input. :thumb:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I haven't decided if I'm going to send my glass books over to CBCS. I haven't been super pleased with the consistency of the grading, and they market for CBCS books is not on par with CGC. It's too bad CGC has chosen not to grade them. I'm sure there are reasons why. It hurts them not to. I'd like to see some graded examples of them before considering further.

All my other books will go to CGC. I do have some great CBCS books in my collection, and no, they don't make the CGC census, but they are great book nonetheless. I still like their authenticated signature program, for example, despite some hiccups they've encountered.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

nycjadie wrote:I haven't decided if I'm going to send my glass books over to CBCS. I haven't been super pleased with the consistency of the grading, and they market for CBCS books is not on par with CGC. It's too bad CGC has chosen not to grade them. I'm sure there are reasons why. It hurts them not to. I'd like to see some graded examples of them before considering further.

All my other books will go to CGC. I do have some great CBCS books in my collection, and no, they don't make the CGC census, but they are great book nonetheless. I still like their authenticated signature program, for example, despite some hiccups they've encountered.
Thanks, Steve! I also plan to send in my Batman #500 that was signed by three creators, which was a gift from Aram. I plan on using their VSP program. What were some of the hiccups you encountered?

Michael

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/01 ... ginal-art/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

ooh. That’s a bad look for the grading companies. Buyer beware for sure.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

At this point, I decided to submit my two glass Variant copies and my Batman 500 VSP book to CBCS. The rest of the books will go to CGC. They get dropped off tomorrow morning at Planet ComiCon. :hope:

Michael

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

mkb28 wrote:At this point, I decided to submit my two glass Variant copies and my Batman 500 VSP book to CBCS. The rest of the books will go to CGC. They get dropped off tomorrow morning at Planet ComiCon. :hope:

Michael
I think you made the correct call. I will continue to stick exclusively to CGC but will make exceptions for the glass books that I would like to get in CBCS.

People just need to hurry up and get them graded.

(If you have a second gold and a second glass that comes back 9.8 think of me).