Punk Mambo Iron Maiden Homage Variants

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson
Punk Mambo Iron Maiden Homage Variants

Post by GammaJosh »

Newsarama: https://www.newsarama.com/44146-metal-b ... iants.html
Kickstarter: http://kck.st/2Eff4Uv

Cheers, guys! Sharing this press release from Valiant since it doesn't look like anyone has yet. FYI 78 of the 100 B&W variants are claimed as of this writing. Most of the people getting them will be ASOT fans and so I don't think many of these will escape into collector circles or pop up for re-sale. With the Iron Maiden angle and only being 100 copies on the b&w, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being pretty scarce! (Our next variant will be flocked with unicorn hair!)

-Josh (ASoT)
Comics publisher Valiant Entertainment and metal band A Sound of Thunder are teaming up to offer collectible comics paying homage to classic Iron Maiden cover art.

The special editions of the debut issue of Valiant’s upcoming title PUNK MAMBO comic feature exclusive cover artwork by Trav Hart that pays homage to the classic album cover of Maiden’s 1980 single, “Sanctuary,” by artist Derek Riggs.

The PUNK MAMBO #1 Iron Maiden Homage Variants will be available in two limited editions:

- Full-Color Variant (Limited to 300 copies)
- Black-and-White Variant (Limited to 100 copies)

Both versions are available exclusively through A Sound of Thunder’s current Kickstarter campaign. Visit the campaign at the following link for more information: http://kck.st/2E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From celebrated writer Cullen Bunn (Venom) and badass artist Adam Gorham (Black Panther) comes the hilariously horrifying PUNK MAMBO, about a hard-living voodoo priestess who grew up in London, relocates to the Bayou, and becomes a mystical mercenary for hire. In her first-ever solo comic book series, Punk Mambo investigates a series of abductions in the New Orleans Gutter Punk scene, stumbling upon a deadlier mystery that takes her to the haunted shores of Haiti. PUNK MAMBO #1 debuts in comic shops from Valiant Entertainment on Wednesday, April 24th with covers by Dan Brereton (Nocturnals), Zu Orzu (X-O Manowar), Cris Delara (Aspen Visions: Fathom: Spinning Our Fate), and interior artist Gorham.

In addition, fans who pre-order all five issues of the PUNK MAMBO series at their local comic shop by April 1st will receive a special code to download a digital file of A Sound of Thunder’s “Punk Mambo” track for free. The code will appear in the Pre-order Edition of PUNK MAMBO #1. To find the comic shop nearest you, visit http://comicshoplocator.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

About A Sound of Thunder

A Sound of Thunder is an American heavy metal band established in 2009. The Billboard-charting group was an early pioneer of crowd-funding and has out-funded major label competitors with the support of their loyal fan-base known as the “Legion of Thunder”. For their fifth album in 2015, the band partnered with Valiant Entertainment to issue Tales from the Deadside, a concept album based on Valiant’s Shadowman comic series. In 2017 the band scored a Top 40 hit in Europe and won an Independent Music Award for their rendition of the Catalonian national anthem “Els Segadors."

michalward
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: Punk Mambo Iron Maiden Homage Variants

Post by michalward »

Awesome! Just pledged.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Already pledged. Looking forward to it!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I'm in. :high-five:

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by AnarchoMambo »

The combination of Iron Maiden homage and Punk Mambo is just sort of inconceivably awesome.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Ok...I'm in!

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated!

We're getting into stretch goal territory where we start to add freebies. We don't have carte blanche do do whatever we want, but if we were going to add something small to all the orders, does anything come to mind? I had thought maybe Shadowman symbol window decals or Valiant logo embroidered patches would be cool! (I would def put a Shadowman decal on my car!)

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

GammaJosh wrote:Thanks, guys! Much appreciated!

We're getting into stretch goal territory where we start to add freebies. We don't have carte blanche do do whatever we want, but if we were going to add something small to all the orders, does anything come to mind? I had thought maybe Shadowman symbol window decals or Valiant logo embroidered patches would be cool! (I would def put a Shadowman decal on my car!)

I think both are cool... but I would rather the Shadowman sticker.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Don’t know anything about the band other than they are Valiant fans but want the Valiant covers so pledged the Get Valiant $100 tier. If I like the music it will be a bonus but the 4 comics plus other Valiant items make this a reasonable purchase.

This is my second Kickstarter project to back. Didn’t know much about the first one I backed either other than I wanted the Stan Sakai Usagi items that it came with.

Seems to be a good way to pick up backers - include rare comic items that collectors will want. (Maybe should include a CGC 9.8 tier :hm: :lol:

AnarchoMambo

Post by AnarchoMambo »

GammaJosh wrote:I had thought maybe Shadowman symbol window decals or Valiant logo embroidered patches would be cool! (I would def put a Shadowman decal on my car!)
Agreed: a Shadowman window sticker would be fantastic!

AnarchoMambo

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Dudes,Maiden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaspersk
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by jaspersk »

Looks like there are 112 bw copies
And under 300 color. Unless my count is wrong

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

jaspersk wrote:Looks like there are 112 bw copies
We had originally intended to sell 100, and placed an order for 120 in case any showed up damaged, and also to have some extras for the band members. We spread the b&w version over a bunch of different reward levels and the campaign took off so fast that we lost track for a bit and oversold. I think 112 is about right. That only leaves us a cushion of 8 copies in case of damage. I think our order is locked in and it's too late to increase. Valiant should also be providing some comps to the cover artist. I'm not sure how many copies they have ordered for that and other purposes, but I will try to find out so there is an accurate print run out there.

Also, after seeing comments here and on Facebook, we decided to do a 5" x 3" vinyl sticker of the Shadowman logo on a black background. That seemed like the most useful option as it's a good size for a rear windshield or bumper, but also could go on a laptop, guitar case, comic box, whatever, and not be too big or too small. So those will be included free with every reward that includes either version of the comic!

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

GammaJosh wrote:
jaspersk wrote:Looks like there are 112 bw copies
We had originally intended to sell 100, and placed an order for 120 in case any showed up damaged, and also to have some extras for the band members. We spread the b&w version over a bunch of different reward levels and the campaign took off so fast that we lost track for a bit and oversold. I think 112 is about right. That only leaves us a cushion of 8 copies in case of damage. I think our order is locked in and it's too late to increase. Valiant should also be providing some comps to the cover artist. I'm not sure how many copies they have ordered for that and other purposes, but I will try to find out so there is an accurate print run out there.

Also, after seeing comments here and on Facebook, we decided to do a 5" x 3" vinyl sticker of the Shadowman logo on a black background. That seemed like the most useful option as it's a good size for a rear windshield or bumper, but also could go on a laptop, guitar case, comic box, whatever, and not be too big or too small. So those will be included free with every reward that includes either version of the comic!
Try to get an accurate print run on the color version as well please.

Also, can you please post here when you send emails requesting our shipping addresses to mail the goodies? I get lots of junk mail and would hate to miss that email! Thanks.

jaspersk

Post by jaspersk »

I don’t think an accurate print run or exact print run matters
That much if its 100 and its actually 112
Or 330 instead of 300. If you say 500 and its
2000 thats a problem.
Anyway i wanted to ask about the 1:100s
Were they part of any packages
Im assuming you are getting at least 4.
I see them preselling for $179 on ebay
Thats way too much. Thats the right price for
A 1/250. Just curious if these are available for sale

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Juki wrote: Also, can you please post here when you send emails requesting our shipping addresses to mail the goodies? I get lots of junk mail and would hate to miss that email! Thanks.
Those e-mails were sent out today!

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

jaspersk wrote:I don’t think an accurate print run or exact print run matters
That much if its 100 and its actually 112
Or 330 instead of 300. If you say 500 and its
2000 thats a problem.
Anyway i wanted to ask about the 1:100s
Were they part of any packages
Im assuming you are getting at least 4.
I see them preselling for $179 on ebay
Thats way too much. Thats the right price for
A 1/250. Just curious if these are available for sale
We needed to order 500 so the actual amount ordered by ASoT was 380 color and 120 b&w. Valiant is taking care of the comps for the artist, so at the very least the comps should increase the total print run a small amount. Nina (ASoT vocalist) and I visited the Valiant offices in March last year around the time that Shadowman #1 came out and they had small piles of multiple covers sitting out, including some (but not all) retailer variant covers. I got the impression those were comps for people in the office and for visitors. So I'd assume there's another small bit added to the print run of some or maybe all comics for that type of use.

We are supposed to be getting 5 copies of the 1:100 flocked cover. I do intend to sell some of them, but I haven't put them up for pre-order because I want to make sure they are in good condition first. I'll probably put them on our web store and alert Kickstarter backers first, possibly with a discount code, so watch the Kickstarter updates. I also have some Tales from the Deadside vinyl test pressings and Book of Death #3 ASoT variants CGC 9.8 signed by the band, plus one remaining copy signed by the band plus Dinesh, Gavin, Atom, and Vditti that I'll probably be finally parting with. Again, watch the updates!

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Was there something different about the Punk Mambo 1:100 variant from other high ration variants that makes it rarer or harder to get than others? I remember at some point seeing someone post something about it not being solicited early, or being solicited close to the cut-off date, or something like that, but I can't find the post or remember exactly what it said!

jaspersk

Post by jaspersk »

Don’t think it will be a problem
Stores that have exclusives will have 5
The 1/250s ive seen 13? Listed of each
1/100s hopefully will have 5 times 8-10
Available. Theres a preorder at 179
But thats too high

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

GammaJosh wrote:
Juki wrote: Also, can you please post here when you send emails requesting our shipping addresses to mail the goodies? I get lots of junk mail and would hate to miss that email! Thanks.
Those e-mails were sent out today!
I got the e-mail and responded. Thanks!

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Hey all, just letting you know that the Iron Maiden homage variants of Punk Mambo #1 came in. Still working on getting final print runs. We had ordered 360 color and 120 b&w. Somehow we ended up receiving 405 color and 175 b&w. So plenty of color (~100 copies) left for now. We had pre-sold about 115 b&w copies, and made another 30 available online. We're holding the rest back for band comps and convention appearances. I expect those will be all gone pretty soon. And we got 5 flocked variants, which we're selling for $100, but only 1 copy is left now. Here's the link for all: https://www.asoundofthunderband.com/valiant

I'll update this thread if I'm able to confirm print runs. I'm hoping the b&w will be only ~200 and maybe make that list of rarest store exclusives!

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

GammaJosh wrote:Hey all, just letting you know that the Iron Maiden homage variants of Punk Mambo #1 came in. Still working on getting final print runs. We had ordered 360 color and 120 b&w. Somehow we ended up receiving 405 color and 175 b&w. So plenty of color (~100 copies) left for now. We had pre-sold about 115 b&w copies, and made another 30 available online. We're holding the rest back for band comps and convention appearances. I expect those will be all gone pretty soon. And we got 5 flocked variants, which we're selling for $100, but only 1 copy is left now. Here's the link for all: https://www.asoundofthunderband.com/valiant

I'll update this thread if I'm able to confirm print runs. I'm hoping the b&w will be only ~200 and maybe make that list of rarest store exclusives!
Sent you a PM about the flocked variant and if you can combine shipping it with the Kickstarter pledge products.