Book of the Month - February 2019

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Which Book Was Best (February 2019)

Poll ended at Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45:43 pm

Livewire #3
13%
X-O Manowar #24
21%
Incursion #1
46%
Bloodshot Rising Spirit #4
No votes
The Forgotten Queen #1
17%
Valentines Day was invented by Hallmark flavored ice cream
4%

Total votes: 24

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Book of the Month - February 2019

Post by jeremycoe »

What was the best book released by Valiant in February 2019?

Shadowman #11 won January, with X-O Manowar #23 in second.

You have 2 votes, use them wisely.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Book of the Month - February 2019

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Incursion was pretty good, I enjoyed it and want to see more.

As OTV pointed out, there are some flaws with The Forgotten Queen, but I thought it was better than Livewire. You have a knife in one panel, and the very next one, it disappears? You have a gun, then you put it on the ground? It still was better than #1 and #2, and the fight scene, while long, was very much needed for the story.

Everything else, meh
Moose

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I think Incursion was the best of the 5 titles. Glad to see Gilad back, and I’m interested to see where this goes. I’ve seen some commentary elsewhere that the main enemy character feels like a rip-off of the Galactus idea. I think this is different enough in tone & delivery to have potential to be quite good regardless of any passing similarities.

I enjoyed Livewire #3 quite a bit more than the first 2 issues combined, and I also thought that Forgotten Queen was a pretty decent story - better than I anticipated. I liked the historical story setting with Gengis Khan.

XO was a pretty ‘meh’ story despite having very solid art.

I thought Bloodshot: RS 4 continued the trend of poor storytelling (excessively cheesy, generic ‘action movie’ dialogue) & weak artwork, although the one bright spot was seeing the original HARD Corps characters.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:I’ve seen some commentary elsewhere that the main enemy character feels like a rip-off of the Galactus idea. I think this is different enough in tone & delivery to have potential to be quite good regardless of any passing similarities.
I rarely by into the 'rip-off' perspective. Everything under the sun is in some way similar to something you've seen before. Where did Marvel come up with notion of a 'herald' for Galactus? Oh, I dunno, maybe in the vast history of documented political and military confrontation. Marvel didn't invent the concept of a herald and other writers should not feel constrained by their use of it.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Great Tier:
Incursion 1

Promising Tier:

Livewire 3

Forgettable Tier:
Forgotten Queen 1
X-O Manowar 24

Disappointed (Like Usual) Tier:
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 4

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I’ve seen some commentary elsewhere that the main enemy character feels like a rip-off of the Galactus idea. I think this is different enough in tone & delivery to have potential to be quite good regardless of any passing similarities.
I rarely by into the 'rip-off' perspective. Everything under the sun is in some way similar to something you've seen before. Where did Marvel come up with notion of a 'herald' for Galactus? Oh, I dunno, maybe in the vast history of documented political and military confrontation. Marvel didn't invent the concept of a herald and other writers should not feel constrained by their use of it.
Yes, I agree. Its not the end of the world if someone produces an idea similar to something else... its all about the new delivery/ fresh take / context of that idea. If something is a blatant rip-off with nothing compelling or different about it, thats one thing. Simply being inspired by an idea to the point of making something new that also clearly is a nod to the source is fine, and perfectly normal in the world. Nothing "new" is ever created in a void. Creativity is always inspired by ideas that came before.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Yes, I agree. Its not the end of the world if someone produces an idea similar to something else... its all about the new delivery/ fresh take / context of that idea. If something is a blatant rip-off with nothing compelling or different about it, thats one thing. Simply being inspired by an idea to the point of making something new that also clearly is a nod to the source is fine, and perfectly normal in the world. Nothing "new" is ever created in a void. Creativity is always inspired by ideas that came before.
I mentioned the Galactus parallel on VCR but I didn't call it a rip off, I thought Virago was like a cross between Darque and Galactus and I thought it worked.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

hawkeyeps wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I mentioned the Galactus parallel on VCR but I didn't call it a rip off, I thought Virago was like a cross between Darque and Galactus and I thought it worked.
:thumb:

+1 - I think the character has a ton of potential to be pretty cool!

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Better than last month but still needs improvement as with so few books there’s no room for the appalling Bloodshot RS!

Yeah that was good enough to be Valiant...

1) Incursion #1
2) XO #24

Mmmmm maybe it was just good enough to be Valiant....

3) Forgotten Queen #1
4) Livewire #3

At least Dead Drop had great art....

5) Bloodshot Rising Spirit #4