ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Nov 14, 2019 1:37:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55:39 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 6198
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
I noticed in the May solicitations that most titles just had an A and B cover, and sometimes a C cover. Are they killing variants on all but #1 issues? If so, honestly, that must be the most innovative thing I’ve heard yet. Bucking the industry.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:32:15 pm 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:42:33 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Chicago, Il
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
If so, I love it! Chase the 1:100 or 1:250 for the first issue, but let the other covers stand on their own, carrying equal weight (except for the A cover which may receive a slightly higher print run.)

I noticed that some regular covers are starting to sell out at Midtown. For this weeks upcoming Forgotten Queen #1 release, the Veronica Fish and the Amilcar Pinna covers are completely sold out. That’s pretty cool.


Top
  Online Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58:27 pm 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Pretty much, Valiant has now killed collecting Valiant. The 1:250's aren't valuable or sought after. CBCS is the only one that will slab? Why bother. AND a store can purchase more than one? Zero desire to collect those.

While it was a smaller portion of people, those that collected Valiant because they were desired have left the building.

Guess I can go back to collecting Bourbon and Whiskey now, nothing left here to see

_________________
Moose


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:54:00 pm 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:42:33 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Chicago, Il
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Whoa, hold on. What you are saying may be true for you, but my experience is quite different.

I was about to seriously cut back on new issue 1:50s per month, which I believe rose to as high as six in one month about 1 year ago?! And any of us that were doing that were lucky to receive 1 in 3 gradable copies. It was frustrating, and I would have ceased trying had Valiant not ceased production of 1:50 variants for almost every book.

Now, I find it much more possible to collect the one ratio book per month that is released, and because it corresponds to a #1, the ratios are high and the book does seem to represent something special.

And let’s face it, there are so many holes in my collection, and with years of ratio books to now find in back issue, I have more than enough continuing expense on my hands.

So in essence, for me, the elimination of most ratio books has INCREASED Valiant’s collectibility!

And as I alluded to earlier, the A-C covers that sell out out early win on the merit of the cover itself, not purely on it’s limited availability.

And IMO that is a healthy way forward for Valiant.


Top
  Online Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:28:07 pm 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
AnarchoMambo wrote:
Whoa, hold on. What you are saying may be true for you, but my experience is quite different.

I was about to seriously cut back on new issue 1:50s per month, which I believe rose to as high as six in one month about 1 year ago?! And any of us that were doing that were lucky to receive 1 in 3 gradable copies. It was frustrating, and I would have ceased trying had Valiant not ceased production of 1:50 variants for almost every book.

Now, I find it much more possible to collect the one ratio book per month that is released, and because it corresponds to a #1, the ratios are high and the book does seem to represent something special.

And let’s face it, there are so many holes in my collection, and with years of ratio books to now find in back issue, I have more than enough continuing expense on my hands.

So in essence, for me, the elimination of most ratio books has INCREASED Valiant’s collectibility!

And as I alluded to earlier, the A-C covers that sell out out early win on the merit of the cover itself, not purely on it’s limited availability.

And IMO that is a healthy way forward for Valiant.


I wasn't talking about my experiences, I was talking about the collect-ability of Valiant as a whole. Prices have fallen off the top shelf for many Valiant variant books. An Archer and Armstrong Gold #1 (Van Lente) CGC 9.8 sold for $58 this Saturday, high traffic time too. Eternal Warrior Gold Matte finish selling for $85 in great condition (down about 15-20%) #2,#3,#4 Savage 1:50 CGC selling for $100-$150 ea when they were all above $250. Savage #1 1:50 selling for $250! Rai Gold #1 less than $125 CGC 9.8. X-O Manowar Humble Bundle $12.62. These originally sold for better than $100, and now it's a regular book.

All I was trying to point out is that those that used to collect Valiant because it was collectible, and thus creating a stir (which caused more people to get involved with the books, selling more books) is falling off. Sure, you're able to find those books that you need so that you can fill your gaps (and I have as well), but as much as we all hated speculators, they kind of pushed the brand of Valiant out to areas where the stories alone can't and won't reach

_________________
Moose


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:42:57 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 6198
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
AnarchoMambo wrote:
Whoa, hold on. What you are saying may be true for you, but my experience is quite different.

I was about to seriously cut back on new issue 1:50s per month, which I believe rose to as high as six in one month about 1 year ago?! And any of us that were doing that were lucky to receive 1 in 3 gradable copies. It was frustrating, and I would have ceased trying had Valiant not ceased production of 1:50 variants for almost every book.

Now, I find it much more possible to collect the one ratio book per month that is released, and because it corresponds to a #1, the ratios are high and the book does seem to represent something special.

And let’s face it, there are so many holes in my collection, and with years of ratio books to now find in back issue, I have more than enough continuing expense on my hands.

So in essence, for me, the elimination of most ratio books has INCREASED Valiant’s collectibility!

And as I alluded to earlier, the A-C covers that sell out out early win on the merit of the cover itself, not purely on it’s limited availability.

And IMO that is a healthy way forward for Valiant.


I'm totally in the same place, and I know I'm still not going to get half of the non-variant issues every month in 9.8 condition!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45:59 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 6198
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
AnarchoMambo wrote:
Whoa, hold on. What you are saying may be true for you, but my experience is quite different.

I was about to seriously cut back on new issue 1:50s per month, which I believe rose to as high as six in one month about 1 year ago?! And any of us that were doing that were lucky to receive 1 in 3 gradable copies. It was frustrating, and I would have ceased trying had Valiant not ceased production of 1:50 variants for almost every book.

Now, I find it much more possible to collect the one ratio book per month that is released, and because it corresponds to a #1, the ratios are high and the book does seem to represent something special.

And let’s face it, there are so many holes in my collection, and with years of ratio books to now find in back issue, I have more than enough continuing expense on my hands.

So in essence, for me, the elimination of most ratio books has INCREASED Valiant’s collectibility!

And as I alluded to earlier, the A-C covers that sell out out early win on the merit of the cover itself, not purely on it’s limited availability.

And IMO that is a healthy way forward for Valiant.


I wasn't talking about my experiences, I was talking about the collect-ability of Valiant as a whole. Prices have fallen off the top shelf for many Valiant variant books. An Archer and Armstrong Gold #1 (Van Lente) CGC 9.8 sold for $58 this Saturday, high traffic time too. Eternal Warrior Gold Matte finish selling for $85 in great condition (down about 15-20%) #2,#3,#4 Savage 1:50 CGC selling for $100-$150 ea when they were all above $250. Savage #1 1:50 selling for $250! Rai Gold #1 less than $125 CGC 9.8. X-O Manowar Humble Bundle $12.62. These originally sold for better than $100, and now it's a regular book.

All I was trying to point out is that those that used to collect Valiant because it was collectible, and thus creating a stir (which caused more people to get involved with the books, selling more books) is falling off. Sure, you're able to find those books that you need so that you can fill your gaps (and I have as well), but as much as we all hated speculators, they kind of pushed the brand of Valiant out to areas where the stories alone can't and won't reach


I've noticed falling prices as well. I also have noticed that most of the slabs on eBay have been overpriced for ages. It's kind of ridiculous. That's why they never sell. Even if it is an issue that is difficult to get in 9.8, that doesn't mean that anyone wants it, let alone commands a premium. Before the first DMG announcement of the partnership and movie deal, most Valiant slabs weren't worth the grading fees, except for a few keys. I would pick up pre-Unity 9.8s for less than $15.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:42:52 pm 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:42:44 pm
Posts: 186
Location: Turlock, California
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: uh...All of them!
collectability of Savage was off the chart because it was seen as a new character to the Valiant universe. But there has been nothing done with this character since.
so why would it go up.

Look at all the *SQUEE* on eBay who are posting cgc 9.8 variants! the prices are just stupid, it is almost as if they are just putting them up on eBay to brag that
they have it. Maybe some millionaire will someday pay that price.

when the hard to get variants are put up as an auction with a low starting price, they still sale for good money. I finally got my Harbinger Renegades #6 that is
a high grade for $122 just a few days ago on eBay. I am still looking for some of those Ninjak late variants. I am not rich, having 3-6 1:50s every month is not
something I can afford on a monthly basis. I am glad for the break so I can catch up.

_________________
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50:57 pm 
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16:51 pm
Posts: 4262
Location: Kansas City, MO
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Punk Mambo #1 will have a 1:100 Variant available. It is only $200 on DCBS: :o

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb1 ... bo-1-(of-5)-100-copy-incv-cvr-d-punk-var-brereton-(


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:54:39 pm 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
mkb28 wrote:
Punk Mambo #1 will have a 1:100 Variant available. It is only $200 on DCBS: :o

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb1 ... bo-1-(of-5)-100-copy-incv-cvr-d-punk-var-brereton-(


Very interesting! I had not heard of this. Seen it, but not heard of it.

_________________
Moose


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:20:14 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 6198
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
mkb28 wrote:
Punk Mambo #1 will have a 1:100 Variant available. It is only $200 on DCBS: :o

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb1 ... bo-1-(of-5)-100-copy-incv-cvr-d-punk-var-brereton-(


My LCS offered me one for $150, plus as many the other variants as I want. I typically only grab a few of each, and he gives a bunch out for free.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48:33 pm 
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:52:13 pm
Posts: 4682
Location: Astoria, NY
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
I'm taking a contrary view in respect to collectability. I imagine that the incentive variants have pushed the print runs up, as there are probably enough Valiant variant collectors that will spend the premium to get the incentives that will require their retailers to order the required number of copies, pushing more of the regular covers out there than are needed. If this a correct assumption, and it basically becomes the new policy moving forward, we're about to enter a year of low-print Valiant books. (I assume that the Bloodshot movie will give the line a boost, and, if the movie is good to excellent, it should give Valiant a big boost, I think.) I've been ordering one of each book, including the incentives (but skipping on the glass/metal/whatever variants, as they're too expensive for a single new book), but moving forward, since I'm no longer shelling out money for expensive variants, I'm going to add some extra copies of the covers that I like. If Valiant takes off because of the movie, these could be some *very* hard to find books down the road.

_________________
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56:36 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 6198
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
kjjohanson wrote:
I'm taking a contrary view in respect to collectability. I imagine that the incentive variants have pushed the print runs up, as there are probably enough Valiant variant collectors that will spend the premium to get the incentives that will require their retailers to order the required number of copies, pushing more of the regular covers out there than are needed. If this a correct assumption, and it basically becomes the new policy moving forward, we're about to enter a year of low-print Valiant books. (I assume that the Bloodshot movie will give the line a boost, and, if the movie is good to excellent, it should give Valiant a big boost, I think.) I've been ordering one of each book, including the incentives (but skipping on the glass/metal/whatever variants, as they're too expensive for a single new book), but moving forward, since I'm no longer shelling out money for expensive variants, I'm going to add some extra copies of the covers that I like. If Valiant takes off because of the movie, these could be some *very* hard to find books down the road.


Agree on this. Collectibility of these regular issues will be based more on content and cover art. Reminds me of Acclaim.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:37:47 pm 
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:27:42 pm
Posts: 607
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: No idea.
Favorite title: Ninja-K.
Favorite writer: Heisserer.
Favorite artist: Ryp.
Personally, I like that there's less ratio variants. I don't collect Valiant for anything but my own enjoyment. Yes, I will sell stuff from time-to-time but if my purchases come down to A,B and a pre-order and blank, that's awesome and hopefully, better for Valiant.

_________________
Writer at Outright Geekery and co-host of Get Valiant: http://www.outrightgeekery.com/getvaliant/


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:40:30 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:08:01 am
Posts: 2759
Location: England
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
nycjadie wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
I'm taking a contrary view in respect to collectability. I imagine that the incentive variants have pushed the print runs up, as there are probably enough Valiant variant collectors that will spend the premium to get the incentives that will require their retailers to order the required number of copies, pushing more of the regular covers out there than are needed. If this a correct assumption, and it basically becomes the new policy moving forward, we're about to enter a year of low-print Valiant books. (I assume that the Bloodshot movie will give the line a boost, and, if the movie is good to excellent, it should give Valiant a big boost, I think.) I've been ordering one of each book, including the incentives (but skipping on the glass/metal/whatever variants, as they're too expensive for a single new book), but moving forward, since I'm no longer shelling out money for expensive variants, I'm going to add some extra copies of the covers that I like. If Valiant takes off because of the movie, these could be some *very* hard to find books down the road.


Agree on this. Collectibility of these regular issues will be based more on content and cover art. Reminds me of Acclaim.

To me, this ought to be the core of collectability when it comes to comics anyway. Issues with the best stories ought to be more desirable imo, without all the artificial collectability of variant covers bloating the marketplace. Given the nature of comics as an artistic and entertainment medium, comics ought to (imo) foremost be about story - the cover art, to me, really is just pretty wrapping for the thing that I'm really interested in; think of comics as a chocolate bar: the wrapper adds initial visual appeal to the thing, but I choose which chocolate bar to buy based solely upon what I want to enjoy from what's inside the wrapper - the wrapper is throw-away at the end of the day and makes no difference to my enjoyment of the primary content of the item.

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:36:20 pm 
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:21:07 pm
Posts: 2803
Location: Winnetka, CA
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
mkb28 wrote:
Punk Mambo #1 will have a 1:100 Variant available. It is only $200 on DCBS: :o

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb1 ... bo-1-(of-5)-100-copy-incv-cvr-d-punk-var-brereton-(


Because 100 copies cost DCBS $170 to buy and they get to return anything not sold as the book is 100% returnable. So risk free $30 profit, but VEI gets stuck with thousands of copies returned. Not sure how that benefits the market.

Glass covers are a bit different. I can order unlimited (well limited by my wallet) glass covers, but that's not the case cause I don't want a HUGE bill that week. And most stores can't even afford the expense of 250 copies on their bill, so the amount of glass covers is self limiting.

_________________
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE(Canoga Park & Pasadena)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
http://ComicsAndCards.net


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:52:01 pm 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20:02 pm
Posts: 188
paradise wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Punk Mambo #1 will have a 1:100 Variant available. It is only $200 on DCBS: :o

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb1 ... bo-1-(of-5)-100-copy-incv-cvr-d-punk-var-brereton-(


Because 100 copies cost DCBS $170 to buy and they get to return anything not sold as the book is 100% returnable. So risk free $30 profit, but VEI gets stuck with thousands of copies returned. Not sure how that benefits the market.

Glass covers are a bit different. I can order unlimited (well limited by my wallet) glass covers, but that's not the case cause I don't want a HUGE bill that week. And most stores can't even afford the expense of 250 copies on their bill, so the amount of glass covers is self limiting.


The glass covers are perfect example of VEI vs Chinese Valiant. VEI were very good about being responsible with variants. The metal covers were one per store no matter how many copies you ordered, once you qualified. The glass are as many as you want. If variants are self limiting then you wouldn't need to do one per store as VEI did and the glass covers wouldn't keep dropping in price (there are too many of them because Valiant gave up protecting long term growth for short term numbers - probably to fight all the negative press of the firings and quittings). The last two glass cover auctions on ebay (not buy it nows). were $90 and $120...


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:15:14 pm 
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:21:07 pm
Posts: 2803
Location: Winnetka, CA
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
You are also comparing XO and Bloodshot with Livewire so it's not a fair comparison.

_________________
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE(Canoga Park & Pasadena)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
http://ComicsAndCards.net


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:39:23 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 6198
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
syzhang28 wrote:
paradise wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Punk Mambo #1 will have a 1:100 Variant available. It is only $200 on DCBS: :o

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb1 ... bo-1-(of-5)-100-copy-incv-cvr-d-punk-var-brereton-(


Because 100 copies cost DCBS $170 to buy and they get to return anything not sold as the book is 100% returnable. So risk free $30 profit, but VEI gets stuck with thousands of copies returned. Not sure how that benefits the market.

Glass covers are a bit different. I can order unlimited (well limited by my wallet) glass covers, but that's not the case cause I don't want a HUGE bill that week. And most stores can't even afford the expense of 250 copies on their bill, so the amount of glass covers is self limiting.


The glass covers are perfect example of VEI vs Chinese Valiant. VEI were very good about being responsible with variants. The metal covers were one per store no matter how many copies you ordered, once you qualified. The glass are as many as you want. If variants are self limiting then you wouldn't need to do one per store as VEI did and the glass covers wouldn't keep dropping in price (there are too many of them because Valiant gave up protecting long term growth for short term numbers - probably to fight all the negative press of the firings and quittings). The last two glass cover auctions on ebay (not buy it nows). were $90 and $120...


The variants were already out of control before the DMG takeover. If anything, I think DMG tried to make them more uniform, and then scaled back completely. The metal covers also dropped in price significantly. I picked up metal covers for $100 or so. That's why I have duplicates of them.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:55:38 pm 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 2317
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
nycjadie wrote:
syzhang28 wrote:
paradise wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Punk Mambo #1 will have a 1:100 Variant available. It is only $200 on DCBS: :o

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb1 ... bo-1-(of-5)-100-copy-incv-cvr-d-punk-var-brereton-(


Because 100 copies cost DCBS $170 to buy and they get to return anything not sold as the book is 100% returnable. So risk free $30 profit, but VEI gets stuck with thousands of copies returned. Not sure how that benefits the market.

Glass covers are a bit different. I can order unlimited (well limited by my wallet) glass covers, but that's not the case cause I don't want a HUGE bill that week. And most stores can't even afford the expense of 250 copies on their bill, so the amount of glass covers is self limiting.


The glass covers are perfect example of VEI vs Chinese Valiant. VEI were very good about being responsible with variants. The metal covers were one per store no matter how many copies you ordered, once you qualified. The glass are as many as you want. If variants are self limiting then you wouldn't need to do one per store as VEI did and the glass covers wouldn't keep dropping in price (there are too many of them because Valiant gave up protecting long term growth for short term numbers - probably to fight all the negative press of the firings and quittings). The last two glass cover auctions on ebay (not buy it nows). were $90 and $120...


The variants were already out of control before the DMG takeover. If anything, I think DMG tried to make them more uniform, and then scaled back completely. The metal covers also dropped in price significantly. I picked up metal covers for $100 or so. That's why I have duplicates of them.


Yea, but that was a year or longer after the release of the X-O or Bloodshot book that you got those metal books, chances are they were damaged too. The Livewire and Bloodshot:Rising Spirit books are barely 3 books in and you can get them for that price. It's not a matter of the character on the book, it's the flood of books that kills desirability. There are still 9 Bloodshot Rising Spirit and Livewire glass books that probably will never know the comfort and love of a collector.

Besides the X-O, the other metals have been holding their own, if not going upwards slightly.

_________________
Moose


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:46:34 pm 
Harbinger rank: Nensei
Harbinger rank: Nensei
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:08:31 am
Posts: 74
Location: San Diego
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Rai
The number of variants they were putting out a year ago, was nuts. Not every book needs nor deserves a 1:50 or even a 1:20. The break has been nice, it's allowed me to catch up a bit and maintain. But the market has clearly dropped on a lot of books and I think this has caused a lot of people to sit on them hoping they will go back up. Several of the 1:50's from a year or so ago that I am missing are only 9.8 slabs for insane amounts of money that I just don't have and I don't do slabs 99% of the time. Money has been tight so I haven't been able to get to involved in the metal and glass game but I personally am happy that they aren't too insane yet so I can add them to my collection.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:24:37 am 
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48:17 pm
Posts: 944
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
I felt dumb after buying (most of) the Unity #1 variants. Valiant killed variants for me.

_________________
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hawkeyeps, Sunlight on Snow and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group