Comics series that took the longest time for you to finish?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Comics series that took the longest time for you to finish?

Post by Sven the Returned »

Marvel's Nam.

Started in December 2015. Still unfinished.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Comics series that took the longest time for you to fini

Post by possumgrease »

I can’t finish Starman. Took 3 tries to finally plow through first omnibus. I think first started around 2008 and now only on 2nd omnibus.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I have series that are yet unfinished from the 80s. Sandman, for one.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Fables.

Started when it came out in 2002, floppies then into trades through volume 11 and 2 Jack of Fables trades. Started back into it last year with the goal to read everything. And have kept slacking on reading 1-2 trades per week. It's a chore. Got 11 trades left. It gets good in spurts after issue 100, but there's so much else I'd rather read.
possumgrease wrote:I can’t finish Starman. Took 3 tries to finally plow through first omnibus. I think first started around 2008 and now only on 2nd omnibus.
That doesn't bode well, I've been hearing good things about Starman and was thinking of taking the plunge.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:Fables.

Started when it came out in 2002, floppies then into trades through volume 11 and 2 Jack of Fables trades. Started back into it last year with the goal to read everything. And have kept slacking on reading 1-2 trades per week. It's a chore. Got 11 trades left. It gets good in spurts after issue 100, but there's so much else I'd rather read.
possumgrease wrote:I can’t finish Starman. Took 3 tries to finally plow through first omnibus. I think first started around 2008 and now only on 2nd omnibus.
That doesn't bode well, I've been hearing good things about Starman and was thinking of taking the plunge.
Fables, I originally got the first 15 or so in tpbs. The first part of the series was so good, I bought the first 5 Hardcovers and dismiss the rest of the stuff where it started dragging because I don't care to read that ever again.

Starman, I bought all 6 Omnibuses because of how much the series is lauded by people whose taste is normally similar to mine. I read through the first two, couldn't remember much of what I'd read, gave up and sold them off. Not for me.

I did pretty much the same thing on Sandman. However, I did make it all the way through Preacher even though it could've been a better read with like 3 or 4 less trades.
ASM Crossover Home

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Miracle Man: The Silver Age. :P
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Crow started a week after the first hit the theaters and didn't finish it until a week before The Crow: City of Angels came out.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Cyberstrike wrote:The Crow started a week after the first hit the theaters and didn't finish it until a week before The Crow: City of Angels came out.
Are you talking about "Dead Time"? Remember how hyped that book was? And then, after numerous Crow series it became apparent that such a concept, which is obviously a perfect fit as an anthology IP, actually isn't at all and basically only works as a majestic example of comic creation when presented as the original work and nothing more?

As for the actual thread content, this was either the Extremis arc of Iron Man vol 4 because it was so late to ship, or it's Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas - a four issue mini-series that began in 2008, created by Jon Favreau and Adi Granov. We are still waiting on the scripts for issue 3 and 4 so those issues can ship. :lol:

But if it's something that I can control? Probably the Squadron Supreme omnibus, which by all rights I should plow through, but I put it down around issue 3 and I've been trying to go back to it for years but just don't want to. :?

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Naruto.

I started reading this back around 2007, and used to buy 5-ish books at a time from Amazon and read them on my lunch breaks at work. I read probably about the first 50 books, and when I quit that job to take up a degree I had neither the time or the money to spend on it, and I haven't got around to buying any more of the books since I finished the degree course.

I am hoping to restart it from scratch again one day in the near future and finish off the whole run in one go, but so far I've not quite got around to buying the remaining books in the series to put on the shelf ready for when I pick it up again.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Shadowman99 wrote:Naruto.

I started reading this back around 2007, and used to buy 5-ish books at a time from Amazon and read them on my lunch breaks at work. I read probably about the first 50 books, and when I quit that job to take up a degree I had neither the time or the money to spend on it, and I haven't got around to buying any more of the books since I finished the degree course.

I am hoping to restart it from scratch again one day in the near future and finish off the whole run in one go, but so far I've not quite got around to buying the remaining books in the series to put on the shelf ready for when I pick it up again.
I have the same problem, of sorts (and it happened to me with One Piece, also). I started reading in 05, stopped around 8 years ago, because i "needed a break" from Manga at the time.
So far, i have not returned to the series, but will do so, I hope, in the nearish future- I do own a bunch of the books in the tankobon version. Despite being intimidating due to its Epic history and 70+ volumes, its a truly immersing read and its world/characters are superbly developed. I love it.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Shadowman99
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:Naruto.

I have the same problem, of sorts (and it happened to me with One Piece, also). I started reading in 05, stopped around 8 years ago, because i "needed a break" from Manga at the time.
So far, i have not returned to the series, but will do so, I hope, in the nearish future- I do own a bunch of the books in the tankobon version. Despite being intimidating due to its Epic history and 70+ volumes, its a truly immersing read and its world/characters are superbly developed. I love it.
One Piece, yeah, that's massive isn't it? Still being written as far as I know. I don't know how that author's not had a massive mental breakdown yet.

Whilst I read as much One Piece has been written up to one point in time, I really don't have any desire to return to it. It scores 10/10 for me in terms of imaginative content, but I don't understand what the megahype is about.

I'm keen to re-read Naruto from scratch and read the entire run though. I guess something about the difference in tone between the two titles is what makes me want to re-read Naruto and not One Piece, but I don't find the prospect of having to read through that many volumes of the comic daunting at all, I'm looking forward to it. It's not too scary when you just read a little bit every day on lunch at work :high-five:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t