ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Jun 26, 2019 2:19:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13:03 pm 
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:40:14 am
Posts: 3306
Location: Utah
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ic-1186076

FVL is back!

_________________
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:37:50 pm 
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16:51 pm
Posts: 4167
Location: Kansas City, MO
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Can't wait! :thumb:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54:43 pm 
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:39:27 am
Posts: 21821
Location: Indoors
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Yep, that's the big announcement that was being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52166

More details in this link:
http://valiantentertainment.com/2019/02 ... psi-lords/


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02:24 pm 
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Posts: 9157
Location: Central CT
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
FVL? May have to pick this up. This is the first title that’s been announced in some time that has me interested.

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12:06 pm 
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15:58 pm
Posts: 3686
Location: Florida
BugsySig wrote:
FVL? May have to pick this up. This is the first title that’s been announced in some time that has me interested.


I will give anything FVL does a try. I hope others give the book a shot.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:54:14 pm 
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00:05 am
Posts: 520
Location: Los Angeles
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
This is the most interesting Valiant news in a while.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:49:24 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 10742
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
I'm very excited to see this news! And glad to see FVL on it. He's the perfect choice for the title given his prior VEI work! :thumb:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23:42 pm 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Posts: 7594
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Fantastic news! Super happy to hear FVL is back, and PSI Lords is finally happening! Sounds like a very intriguing take on the core premise of the old series... I very much liked everything he said about continuity & respecting what has gone before without being fully tied down by it. That you shouldn’t just jettison what was established before... but you can still do something new within that framework. That’s something that still irks me greatly about what Kindt has done with XO.

_________________
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50:13 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51:18 pm
Posts: 1563
wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:37:55 pm 
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:39:27 am
Posts: 21821
Location: Indoors
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Ryan wrote:
wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*

If I'm reading the summary correctly, the 4 random hipsters are prisoners on a planet and they need to find the (actual) Psi-Lords (gods of the galaxy), but I can understand how it would be confusing looking at one promotional image, ignoring those pesky word-things under it, and immediately jumping to conclusions. :P


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:50:00 pm 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38:36 am
Posts: 5957
Location: Seattle
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Toyo Harada
It's FVL. I expect a bit of weird comedy humor. It's really hard to do well, and he is very good at it. He made A&A one of my top Valiant titles of all time.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:53:29 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 2:01:10 pm
Posts: 1600
Location: Portland, Oregon
nycjadie wrote:
It's FVL. I expect a bit of weird comedy humor. It's really hard to do well, and he is very good at it. He made A&A one of my top Valiant titles of all time.


Agreed :thumb:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:39:41 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Posts: 1573
Location: United Kingdom
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Gotta be the nay sayer on the FVL hype train. Once again it sounds like his concept is a good one but based on his past efforts I’m not that excited. If he gave the concept to someone else to deliver then I’d be all in.

Hoping it’s the FVL on LOTG and not FVL on A&A, Timewalker, War Mother etc

I’ll still pick it up and hope for the best.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:21:36 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:16:04 pm
Posts: 1936
Location: out for lunch
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo
Favorite title: Divinity, savage,
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Gotta be the nay sayer on the FVL hype train. Once again it sounds like his concept is a good one but based on his past efforts I’m not that excited. If he gave the concept to someone else to deliver then I’d be all in.

Hoping it’s the FVL on LOTG and not FVL on A&A, Timewalker, War Mother etc

I’ll still pick it up and hope for the best.

Is this an ongoing series?
I also didnt really care for fvl stuff. But least its not raffer bad to compare to.
I know nothing of thease charaters.

_________________
I Miss Dinesh


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:30:11 pm 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03:41 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Tacoma
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
In the interview, he did state that although he has a couple of years in his mind, his first arc is 1 year. from there, he says it could go numerous ways.

This could be another 1 year story, but at least we are getting something new. If they do push it for two, all the better.

_________________
Moose


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12:05 pm 
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:08:41 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Hollywood, Florida
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
All of the characters look cool, except for that red-haired character. He's literally giving me cancer from how obnoxious his design is. FLV is sort of hit or miss for me. His characters can't behave like normal human beings, because their too busy being overly self-aware of their respective tropes. FLV isn't for everyone. Sometimes his stuff is readable and funny with some flaws that can be overlooked, Archer & Armstrong. Other times it's a complete trainwreck of ideas that never really gel together, Generation Zero. FLV is sort of a good example of the problem of letting the inmates run the asylum. His humor is so on the nose, that it completely misses its mark half the time. He expects people to "get it" when he wasted an entire issue deconstructing some random tropes, or has a character give some completely random speech were they're basically just acting as his author avatar.

FLV's problem is that he's so focused on deconstructing character tropes he forgets to give the characters in his story any actual depth. Matt Kindt's problem is that he's so focused on reconstructing tropes that he forgets to give his characters any realistic motivation or stakes. Characters just do things with no logical reason as to why they're doing it, or why characters choose to escalate a conflict when it's never really made clear what triggered that conflict in the first place.

Joshua Dysart for is me perfect, because he's one of the few writers whose only focus is on actually telling a straightforward story. There's no deconstruction or reconstruction, or characters getting on random soap boxes. Dysart gives zero damns about genre conventions one way or that other, and that's why he's such a good genre writer.

Hopefully this book turns out good, and I'm willing to give FLV another chance even though my expectations aren't high. This does have a little too much in common with Generation Zero though. The synopsis sounds like it'll instead focus on a group of randos character who have to find the title characters, and that the story will focus on these randos trying to get the title characters to help them out of their predicament. This is literally Generation Zero in Space.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20:51 pm 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43:09 am
Posts: 5
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan
I remember the prison in Matt Kindt's X-O Manowar is called Pyre. So this Gyre FVL mentioned in the interview is ANOTHER prison planet, right :hm:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06:26 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51:18 pm
Posts: 1563
greg wrote:
Ryan wrote:
wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*

If I'm reading the summary correctly, the 4 random hipsters are prisoners on a planet and they need to find the (actual) Psi-Lords (gods of the galaxy), but I can understand how it would be confusing looking at one promotional image, ignoring those pesky word-things under it, and immediately jumping to conclusions. :P


Well then it's a marketing fail for me. The promotional image is supposed to excite me so that I want to read the information underneath, not be a red herring (if that's really what it is). It's like if when Magnus #1 was announced they released an image of 4 rando North Am citizens but in the fine print it says "don't worry, these people are looking for Magnus". Utterly insane anti-marketing. No one would have bought that book. I've been saying for months Valiant needs to go back to their strongest core characters to gain new fans but this new crew is doing the exact opposite. Oh well it's their party, no one asked me lol, but as a fan I'm just not interested. :?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:22:47 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02:29 pm
Posts: 2949
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SuperMage wrote:
All of the characters look cool, except for that red-haired character. He's literally giving me cancer from how obnoxious his design is. FLV is sort of hit or miss for me. His characters can't behave like normal human beings, because their too busy being overly self-aware of their respective tropes. FLV isn't for everyone. Sometimes his stuff is readable and funny with some flaws that can be overlooked, Archer & Armstrong. Other times it's a complete trainwreck of ideas that never really gel together, Generation Zero. FLV is sort of a good example of the problem of letting the inmates run the asylum. His humor is so on the nose, that it completely misses its mark half the time. He expects people to "get it" when he wasted an entire issue deconstructing some random tropes, or has a character give some completely random speech were they're basically just acting as his author avatar.

FLV's problem is that he's so focused on deconstructing character tropes he forgets to give the characters in his story any actual depth. Matt Kindt's problem is that he's so focused on reconstructing tropes that he forgets to give his characters any realistic motivation or stakes. Characters just do things with no logical reason as to why they're doing it, or why characters choose to escalate a conflict when it's never really made clear what triggered that conflict in the first place.

Joshua Dysart for is me perfect, because he's one of the few writers whose only focus is on actually telling a straightforward story. There's no deconstruction or reconstruction, or characters getting on random soap boxes. Dysart gives zero damns about genre conventions one way or that other, and that's why he's such a good genre writer.

Hopefully this book turns out good, and I'm willing to give FLV another chance even though my expectations aren't high. This does have a little too much in common with Generation Zero though. The synopsis sounds like it'll instead focus on a group of randos character who have to find the title characters, and that the story will focus on these randos trying to get the title characters to help them out of their predicament. This is literally Generation Zero in Space.


+1


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:30:25 pm 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:31:59 pm
Posts: 171
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
lets see whats up with this book, wasn't it hinted at over a year or two ago?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:46:57 pm 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20:02 pm
Posts: 173
I can't say anything looks interesting except the logo (they really do look like hipsters) and I'm not excited by the creators but I will give this book a chance. It's too early to tell if it's good or not.

I am sad that it looks like they've abandoned the version of Psi-Lords that Dinesh and Warren were going to do though and it's strange that they would do this book before bringing back some of the bigger characters.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26:24 pm 
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27:03 am
Posts: 4641
Location: Maryland
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
1.) We do NOT know what this story will be yet.

2.) We need to judge a book by its quality, which again, we do not know yet.

3.) FVL is a solid writer who has made Valiant Magic happen many times over.

4.) Sometimes artists draw what they value or how they see the world, which usually tends to be artsy things, trends, and culture. This may or may not correlate to FLV’s story yet. Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.

_________________
DBS

Image

Image
Image
Image

MY COLLECTION: http://tinyurl.com/DBSValiantCollection
MY CAF PAGE: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=100809


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:41:08 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 10742
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
DirtbagSailor wrote:
Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.


I agree. I like most of his stuff, if this is as good as Timewalker I'll be delighted.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:15:58 pm 
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27:03 am
Posts: 4641
Location: Maryland
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
jmatt wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.


I agree. I like most of his stuff, if this is as good as Timewalker I'll be delighted.


Timewalker was AWESOME! :clap:

_________________
DBS

Image

Image
Image
Image

MY COLLECTION: http://tinyurl.com/DBSValiantCollection
MY CAF PAGE: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=100809


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Psi-Lords in June
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22:38 am 
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:31:46 pm
Posts: 1879
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU
DirtbagSailor wrote:
jmatt wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.


I agree. I like most of his stuff, if this is as good as Timewalker I'll be delighted.


Timewalker was AWESOME! :clap:


I triple agree. Timewalker was badass!

Rico

_________________
Image
Image
Image

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=50927
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49876#p1056798


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group