Psi-Lords in June

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Psi-Lords in June

Post by jeremycoe »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ic-1186076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FVL is back!
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: Psi-Lords in June

Post by mkb28 »

Can't wait! :thumb:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Yep, that's the big announcement that was being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More details in this link:
http://valiantentertainment.com/2019/02 ... psi-lords/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

FVL? May have to pick this up. This is the first title that’s been announced in some time that has me interested.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

BugsySig wrote:FVL? May have to pick this up. This is the first title that’s been announced in some time that has me interested.
I will give anything FVL does a try. I hope others give the book a shot.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

This is the most interesting Valiant news in a while.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I'm very excited to see this news! And glad to see FVL on it. He's the perfect choice for the title given his prior VEI work! :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Fantastic news! Super happy to hear FVL is back, and PSI Lords is finally happening! Sounds like a very intriguing take on the core premise of the old series... I very much liked everything he said about continuity & respecting what has gone before without being fully tied down by it. That you shouldn’t just jettison what was established before... but you can still do something new within that framework. That’s something that still irks me greatly about what Kindt has done with XO.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Ryan wrote:wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*
If I'm reading the summary correctly, the 4 random hipsters are prisoners on a planet and they need to find the (actual) Psi-Lords (gods of the galaxy), but I can understand how it would be confusing looking at one promotional image, ignoring those pesky word-things under it, and immediately jumping to conclusions. :P

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

It's FVL. I expect a bit of weird comedy humor. It's really hard to do well, and he is very good at it. He made A&A one of my top Valiant titles of all time.

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

nycjadie wrote:It's FVL. I expect a bit of weird comedy humor. It's really hard to do well, and he is very good at it. He made A&A one of my top Valiant titles of all time.
Agreed :thumb:

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Gotta be the nay sayer on the FVL hype train. Once again it sounds like his concept is a good one but based on his past efforts I’m not that excited. If he gave the concept to someone else to deliver then I’d be all in.

Hoping it’s the FVL on LOTG and not FVL on A&A, Timewalker, War Mother etc

I’ll still pick it up and hope for the best.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Gotta be the nay sayer on the FVL hype train. Once again it sounds like his concept is a good one but based on his past efforts I’m not that excited. If he gave the concept to someone else to deliver then I’d be all in.

Hoping it’s the FVL on LOTG and not FVL on A&A, Timewalker, War Mother etc

I’ll still pick it up and hope for the best.
Is this an ongoing series?
I also didnt really care for fvl stuff. But least its not raffer bad to compare to.
I know nothing of thease charaters.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

In the interview, he did state that although he has a couple of years in his mind, his first arc is 1 year. from there, he says it could go numerous ways.

This could be another 1 year story, but at least we are getting something new. If they do push it for two, all the better.
Moose

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Favorite character: Animalia

Post by SuperMage »

All of the characters look cool, except for that red-haired character. He's literally giving me cancer from how obnoxious his design is. FLV is sort of hit or miss for me. His characters can't behave like normal human beings, because their too busy being overly self-aware of their respective tropes. FLV isn't for everyone. Sometimes his stuff is readable and funny with some flaws that can be overlooked, Archer & Armstrong. Other times it's a complete trainwreck of ideas that never really gel together, Generation Zero. FLV is sort of a good example of the problem of letting the inmates run the asylum. His humor is so on the nose, that it completely misses its mark half the time. He expects people to "get it" when he wasted an entire issue deconstructing some random tropes, or has a character give some completely random speech were they're basically just acting as his author avatar.

FLV's problem is that he's so focused on deconstructing character tropes he forgets to give the characters in his story any actual depth. Matt Kindt's problem is that he's so focused on reconstructing tropes that he forgets to give his characters any realistic motivation or stakes. Characters just do things with no logical reason as to why they're doing it, or why characters choose to escalate a conflict when it's never really made clear what triggered that conflict in the first place.

Joshua Dysart for is me perfect, because he's one of the few writers whose only focus is on actually telling a straightforward story. There's no deconstruction or reconstruction, or characters getting on random soap boxes. Dysart gives zero damns about genre conventions one way or that other, and that's why he's such a good genre writer.

Hopefully this book turns out good, and I'm willing to give FLV another chance even though my expectations aren't high. This does have a little too much in common with Generation Zero though. The synopsis sounds like it'll instead focus on a group of randos character who have to find the title characters, and that the story will focus on these randos trying to get the title characters to help them out of their predicament. This is literally Generation Zero in Space.

hailxo520
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan

Post by hailxo520 »

I remember the prison in Matt Kindt's X-O Manowar is called Pyre. So this Gyre FVL mentioned in the interview is ANOTHER prison planet, right :hm:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

greg wrote:
Ryan wrote:wtf... since when was Psi-Lords about 4 random hipsters from the coffee shop? I miss unapologetic action-adventure. New VU is not for me obviously *sigh*
If I'm reading the summary correctly, the 4 random hipsters are prisoners on a planet and they need to find the (actual) Psi-Lords (gods of the galaxy), but I can understand how it would be confusing looking at one promotional image, ignoring those pesky word-things under it, and immediately jumping to conclusions. :P
Well then it's a marketing fail for me. The promotional image is supposed to excite me so that I want to read the information underneath, not be a red herring (if that's really what it is). It's like if when Magnus #1 was announced they released an image of 4 rando North Am citizens but in the fine print it says "don't worry, these people are looking for Magnus". Utterly insane anti-marketing. No one would have bought that book. I've been saying for months Valiant needs to go back to their strongest core characters to gain new fans but this new crew is doing the exact opposite. Oh well it's their party, no one asked me lol, but as a fan I'm just not interested. :?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

SuperMage wrote:All of the characters look cool, except for that red-haired character. He's literally giving me cancer from how obnoxious his design is. FLV is sort of hit or miss for me. His characters can't behave like normal human beings, because their too busy being overly self-aware of their respective tropes. FLV isn't for everyone. Sometimes his stuff is readable and funny with some flaws that can be overlooked, Archer & Armstrong. Other times it's a complete trainwreck of ideas that never really gel together, Generation Zero. FLV is sort of a good example of the problem of letting the inmates run the asylum. His humor is so on the nose, that it completely misses its mark half the time. He expects people to "get it" when he wasted an entire issue deconstructing some random tropes, or has a character give some completely random speech were they're basically just acting as his author avatar.

FLV's problem is that he's so focused on deconstructing character tropes he forgets to give the characters in his story any actual depth. Matt Kindt's problem is that he's so focused on reconstructing tropes that he forgets to give his characters any realistic motivation or stakes. Characters just do things with no logical reason as to why they're doing it, or why characters choose to escalate a conflict when it's never really made clear what triggered that conflict in the first place.

Joshua Dysart for is me perfect, because he's one of the few writers whose only focus is on actually telling a straightforward story. There's no deconstruction or reconstruction, or characters getting on random soap boxes. Dysart gives zero damns about genre conventions one way or that other, and that's why he's such a good genre writer.

Hopefully this book turns out good, and I'm willing to give FLV another chance even though my expectations aren't high. This does have a little too much in common with Generation Zero though. The synopsis sounds like it'll instead focus on a group of randos character who have to find the title characters, and that the story will focus on these randos trying to get the title characters to help them out of their predicament. This is literally Generation Zero in Space.
+1

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

lets see whats up with this book, wasn't it hinted at over a year or two ago?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

I can't say anything looks interesting except the logo (they really do look like hipsters) and I'm not excited by the creators but I will give this book a chance. It's too early to tell if it's good or not.

I am sad that it looks like they've abandoned the version of Psi-Lords that Dinesh and Warren were going to do though and it's strange that they would do this book before bringing back some of the bigger characters.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

1.) We do NOT know what this story will be yet.

2.) We need to judge a book by its quality, which again, we do not know yet.

3.) FVL is a solid writer who has made Valiant Magic happen many times over.

4.) Sometimes artists draw what they value or how they see the world, which usually tends to be artsy things, trends, and culture. This may or may not correlate to FLV’s story yet. Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Time will tell, but give him a chance at least.
I agree. I like most of his stuff, if this is as good as Timewalker I'll be delighted.

DirtbagSailor
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

jmatt wrote:
I agree. I like most of his stuff, if this is as good as Timewalker I'll be delighted.
Timewalker was AWESOME! :clap:

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Timewalker was AWESOME! :clap:
I triple agree. Timewalker was badass!

Rico

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;