IDW publishing Marvel books? What the hell?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ComicAficionado
Working on the first full appearance of me
IDW publishing Marvel books? What the hell?

Post by ComicAficionado »

I literally just found out IDW is publishing comics on behalf of Marvel now. This threw me for a loop and I have to wonder why in the world this is happening? These books appear to be more on the "all ages" side, which is great, but again: Why?

From the looks of things they're only publishing 3 titles at the moment (Spider-Man, Avengers, and Black Panther) but I have to wonder if they plan on expanding the line down the road? This line actually intrigues me a bit because I actually loved the "Marvel Adventures" line of books that were out about 10 years ago and always felt Marvel characters worked best in a "one and done" format where you can tell a great story and wrap it up within 32 pages or so.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re: IDW publishing Marvel books? What the hell?

Post by leonmallett »

ComicAficionado wrote:I literally just found out IDW is publishing comics on behalf of Marvel now. This threw me for a loop and I have to wonder why in the world this is happening? These books appear to be more on the "all ages" side, which is great, but again: Why?

From the looks of things they're only publishing 3 titles at the moment (Spider-Man, Avengers, and Black Panther) but I have to wonder if they plan on expanding the line down the road? This line actually intrigues me a bit because I actually loved the "Marvel Adventures" line of books that were out about 10 years ago and always felt Marvel characters worked best in a "one and done" format where you can tell a great story and wrap it up within 32 pages or so.
Think of it as 'packaging'. As a publisher, maybe IDW are better aligned to the market for all-ages?

Marvel have outsourced previously (Reborn, Knights).

In many ways, aside form the branding, this is essentially the same kind of thing that was happening around the birth of the superhero comics industry - comic book packaging.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote:In many ways, aside form the branding, this is essentially the same kind of thing that was happening around the birth of the superhero comics industry - comic book packaging.
Hadn't considered that parallel before. :hm:

ComicAficionado

Post by ComicAficionado »

I wouldn't mind getting into this line of comics if they expanded the books beyond the initial 3 books, I loved the old Marvel Adventures line of "all-ages" books and this looks as if it could be a spiritual successor of sorts. If the sales support it I'd like to see them add an X-Men book, a Guardians of the Galaxy title, and maybe a Captain America or Iron Man solo book. The sky's the limit if they handle it properly!

The Marvel Adventures books were extremely fun "one and done" comics that reminded me of being a kid again and I was kinda bummed out when they disappeared from Marvel's publishing schedule. It'd be nice to see these Marvel Action titles fill that void moving forward.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

My boys are enjoying the IDW Star Wars Adventures. High quality. Kid focused.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ComicAficionado wrote:I wouldn't mind getting into this line of comics if they expanded the books beyond the initial 3 books, I loved the old Marvel Adventures line of "all-ages" books and this looks as if it could be a spiritual successor of sorts. If the sales support it I'd like to see them add an X-Men book, a Guardians of the Galaxy title, and maybe a Captain America or Iron Man solo book. The sky's the limit if they handle it properly!

The Marvel Adventures books were extremely fun "one and done" comics that reminded me of being a kid again and I was kinda bummed out when they disappeared from Marvel's publishing schedule. It'd be nice to see these Marvel Action titles fill that void moving forward.
I liked the Marvel Adventure books for many of the reasons you listed but I was disappointed with them as potentially all-ages because of some of the ads that ran in them. One in particular comes to mind, it was an ad for an upcoming X-Men comic featuring Emma Frost in a very low-cut top posing quite salaciously, all of which is totally consistent with Emma Frost but inappropriate for an all-ages book.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote:
ComicAficionado wrote:I wouldn't mind getting into this line of comics if they expanded the books beyond the initial 3 books, I loved the old Marvel Adventures line of "all-ages" books and this looks as if it could be a spiritual successor of sorts. If the sales support it I'd like to see them add an X-Men book, a Guardians of the Galaxy title, and maybe a Captain America or Iron Man solo book. The sky's the limit if they handle it properly!

I liked the Marvel Adventure books for many of the reasons you listed but I was disappointed with them as potentially all-ages because of some of the ads that ran in them. One in particular comes to mind, it was an ad for an upcoming X-Men comic featuring Emma Frost in a very low-cut top posing quite salaciously, all of which is totally consistent with Emma Frost but inappropriate for an all-ages book.
That shows lack of oversight.

I read them in collected digest format so hadn't considered that issue.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month